• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why you should be careful when reloading..........

JimT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2004
Sterling, AK
A guy came into our department the other day to ask a favor. He had a S&W 629 that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new load and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash. When the tweety birds cleared, this is what he saw.....

DSC_7445_resize.jpg

DSC_7446_resize.jpg

DSC_7447_resize.jpg

DSC_7448_resize.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/pjtruesd/DSC_7450_resize.jpg

DSC_7450_resize.jpg

Re: Why you should be careful when reloading..........

What happened? Wrong bullet? Too much powder?

Re: Why you should be careful when reloading......

Painful lesson. I really try not to go to the range alone. Especially when working up new loads or new weapons.

Looks like the trigger is sitting in the guard funny. Must have been exciting.

I'm guessing a double charge of something fast and dense.

Looks like it "kicked" so hard it pulled one of the bullets like a kinetic puller.

He should hang it over his load bench.

That makes me a little ill to look at, I have that exact 629. Lighting up 3 44 magnums at the same time has got to get your attention...

Damn lucky that he can still walk and have his vision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both rounds detonated </div></div>
Three?

Nothing specific, just a thought; Make something fool-proof and nature will come up with a more determined fool.

(Reloading is NOT fool-proof!)

He doesn't need to "dispose" of that one, it's harmless. Maybe the grips and a few of the action parts could be salvaged?

I think he wanted to get rid of the bad voodoo, which is why he gave it to us. I agree with hanging it over the reloading bench as a reminder to be more careful.

My guess the culprit here is a double charge due to carelessness. He is lucky that there were only three rounds in the gun. Six going off at once probably would have resulted in more of a mark on his pieces parts.

I'd like to have that sitting on my mantle up over the fire place.

Seriously, I'm glad I wasn't even in the same county as that thing when it BOOM.

But imagine the conversations that thing could start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He should hang it over his load bench. </div></div>

Yes, I think that's a good idea!

Maybe Jerry Miculek would like it now; re-loads allot faster than before!

This is why we wear eye protection when shooting!! Even if you are squared away, the nut shooting next to you could set one off like this. I am sure debris went flying in all directions.

THAT ----

will not buff out.

I agree on hanging it over the reloading bench. It'll serve as much more of an objective learning lesson that "There was this one time when...."

WOW!! Never saw anything like that before!!

Since that's clearly been "demilled" it shouldn't count as a firearm any more right?

Can I have it as a demonstration piece?

Man, I can definately say I saw something unusual today!

Send it to S&W and I bet they send you a new one.