• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Widest rifle sling available?

problemchild

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
I got a wide padded sling for my LMT-308 but the rifle still gets heavy abound my neck after a while. Could I run a saw sling or is there a really wide sling that carries the load better?

Re: Widest rifle sling available?

If you are using a sling as a carry strap, why not go to a big box sporting goods store-they usually have plenty of well made padded carry straps. Probably not tactical enough though.

If you use a sling as a shooting support, get the one that fits your arm, rifle and shooting style that you can get in/out of easiest and deal with the discomfort.

One must decide what the primary purpose of the tool is before selecting the best tool for the job.

When I had my M1A Scout in a Sage EBR chassis I used a sling for a saw. I wanted to use the Vtac like my AR but the Sage was just too heavy. IIRC the saw sling was 1.5-1.75" wide which helped with the weight.

Having built, sold and carried more than a few rifle slings I would give you this advice:
1.5" is the perfect combination of width for carry and ability to use for shooting positions. I have different models for different needs. See most of them at Triad Tactical

I have made 2" wide slings as pure carry straps for saws but when used for positional shooting they are just too wide. If you want a pure carry system, I will hook you up with new 2" design. Just get ahold of me off line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a wide padded sling for my LMT-308 but the rifle still gets heavy abound my neck after a while. Could I run a saw sling or is there a really wide sling that carries the load better? </div></div>
Now you have me wondering about the 5.56 AR I just ordered that weighs 8 pounds without ammo or optics. By comparison, a POF P308-16-MRR that is similar in design and construction weighs 9 pounds. I plan to use a Blue Force Vickers sling (1.25" wide, unpadded) that works well with my lighter carbines, but may have the same problem for field carry/hunting.

1.5" is about the norm if you have a really heavy rig.

I run a 1.25" sling on my 17+lb AI.

I have a 1.5" on my AR10, but I don't notice a massive difference.

If you are going to be sporting a heavy rig a long way, you may want to check into a TAB "Biathalon" sling. I have not used one, but the theory is sound.

The biathlon slings are working out very well. This is an M107 that this guy is hauling around and he really likes the sling.

4b08d759.jpg

The South African R4 sling is a nice sling and after using one on my Galil ARM I put one on my FN SPR. I like the wide un-padded slings. YMMV.

DSC_0012.jpg

fwiw & imho,
VTAC Padded. The Padded portion which is quite long, is 2" Wide, and carries a good deal of weight on my OBR without issue...

Regards, Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biathlon slings are working out very well. This is an M107 that this guy is hauling around and he really likes the sling.

4b08d759.jpg
</div></div>

GEEZ lil much for hunting huh?

I should have mentioned I am running the VTAC padded now and it measure 1-3/4ths wide not 2". I tried humping the rifle in and out of a canyon and it got very heavy around my neck and shoulders.

Israeli slings are about 2" wide. These are more of a sling that allows you to carry in the ready position and not much else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RSA-Raven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those interested I can source a few South African R4 slings & mail them... </div></div>

Please PM me the current cost.

Ok, I found a few R4 slings, I've not gone & check them out but it seems to be avalible @ +/- 30$ excl shipping. I'll have to check what would be worth using. DHL's about 4x the value of the sling
frown.gif

But sure I'll get a better deal with SA-postal. BTW, I'm sending it @ cost, not in it for the $, just glad to help ppl that shares my passion.

I like mine, though most people will slam me for even buying it, but my Troy has served every purpose I need. I like the leather pad, and how easy it is to slide from front hang, side hang, and pick up to fire position.

The only problem I had was understand how to use the stupid thing and adjusting to my needs.

Oh and to add, the quick detach system is really smooth and was designed quite nicely.