• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WiFi Cameras and WiFi Extenders

ccasanova

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Southeast LA
I’m looking for a WiFi camera (security camera) to go over my feeding area ~125yds behind my house to send alerts so I can shoot hogs and coyotes, etc. I don’t want a cellular camera with a cell plan. Is that too far to boost my WiFi signal? I have a router on the patio. I could run a cat5 cable down to it, but it would look stupid and get in the way mowing. If not too expensive, I’d probably stick a camera on the patio overlooking the pool, and one in the house as well. I know the technology is constantly improving. Is this realistic and relatively inexpensive? Thanks

The 802.11 protocol doesn't start to break until you start stretching it out to a mile. 125 yards is fine, though you'll almost definitely need a directional antenna - a yagi would probably fit the bill. The tricky (read: expensive) part will be getting a camera that has the motion detection capabilities you want as well as support for an external antenna.

Alternatively, if you can't find a camera that meets your requirements, you could rig up a couple of raspberry pi's with usb wifi cards w/ external antenna adapters to build a network that extends out there relatively cheaply, but that's a significant boost in complexity.

Reactions: ccasanova
Just put to use a extender recently.
Thought I'd try this route before spending much coin.
50 yards from WiFi source to target area.
Target area is inside metal walls.
WiFi source inside house 30 feet.
Tried a few locations like half way there inside and out kinda worked.
Moved WiFi extender to exterior wall of target and have full signal.
50 bucks for this version and pleased so far.
There are plenty of examples and reviews of these.

R

The 802.11 protocol doesn't start to break until you start stretching it out to a mile. 125 yards is fine, though you'll almost definitely need a directional antenna - a yagi would probably fit the bill. The tricky (read: expensive) part will be getting a camera that has the motion detection capabilities you want as well as support for an external antenna.

The yagi antennas are inexpensive with great reviews. Full setup with all wiring/adapters is less than $100. Am I correct in assuming this will “boost” my WiFi signal in the direction the antenna is pointing, so if I had any ole WiFi enabled (solar powered) camera, it should be able to connect and work? And that my phone or laptop should connect out in the woods in that direction as well? This is probably a simple (read stupid) question, just want to confirm I’m not over complicating or simplifying.

Direct bury cable. Lay it with a single tooth subsoiler.

I could definitely go this route easily, moving the bait site considerably closer at the same time. I’m assuming there are some inexpensive POI cameras that I could easily keep track of on an app or something.

I have water, electricity, and low voltage run to multiple locations around my property for multiple purposes...wish someone would’ve said to run cat5 in each trench just in case...hindsight ??‍♂️

Wyze sells a cheap camera that records to an SD card (micro 32gb) and has free 7 day cloud storage. Set up alerts with the app

they are NOT outdoor rated but you can buy a case for them

the camera is $26 or so delivered
Buy direct or amazon. Home Depot has them in store for a while.

Burring a cat 6 and getting a Wi-Fi that can be powered by the Cat6 is optimal.

Wi-Fi works well line of sight

walls block signal.

You can rent a trencher for a day for not much money from Home Depot.

great time to install low voltage lights along the property.

Routers and the cameras run off of DC so a low voltage transformer can bring power out to where you need it and run lights if you wish to make the wife happy.

Ubiquiti access points and directional antennas are awesome. We use them for relaying HD video for football games at close to those distances. AC Mesh Pro and UMA-D is what we use.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
Theres a post about long range diy cameras somewhere... using drone cameras that are cheap... I was impressed

If it's just that camera, hitting a wifi extender...pringles are on sale at the store for a dollar. 😎

Google pringle can directional wifi antenna...