• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wild Boar Hunting Weapon Choice

Mendosa44

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2009
I am going to be doing some Boar hunting in California, rather regularly. I had already decided to purchase a .308 rifle, I had planned to buy a Remington 700 SPS Tactical and slap on a decent scope. But a friend of mine is half way through an AR10 build and it's really weighing on my mind. Boars are pretty hefty beasts, should I just build an AR10 so I have the option of 9 other quick rounds <span style="font-style: italic">incase</span> (read: when) it doesn't go down on the first?

How much in the way of accuracy am I sacrificing by going from the Remington 700 to the AR10? Is the sacrifice worth the RPM of the AR10? Which would you choose?

Re: Wild Boar Hunting Weapon Choice

If you're gonna be doing any walking I would go with what weighs the least. Just my two cents.

I am in the part of the world where there are quite a few hogs and because of that I typically kill 100+/- on an annual basis. The vast majority of the hogs I kill are shot with my AR-15 in 223 and it does the job very well out to 200 yards or so with good shot placement. I also have an AR-10 in 243 and I really don't prefer it when shooting hogs. The reason for that is; about the only hogs I like to eat are the little ones and the 243 tears the crap out of them.

So... Get something you like to carry and like to shoot and don't worry about the rest. If you're only out to kill the 300+ pound hogs and you want to drop them on the spot then get the .308. I will also add that the "big boys" make up a very small percentage of the hogs you will see and anything over a 243 is overkill for the rest of them...

I would not recommend a .223 for Hog hunting here in Cali. A .308 is a fine choice.

However, not quite knowing where you'll be hunting it is hard to say what rifle you should use.

Many northern Cali pigs make their home in fairly hilly areas with a good amount of dense vegitation. You'll want a short, lighter rifle that is quick to shoulder, easy to maneuver and doesn't weigh you down over the course of a day's hunt. I don't think that either option you noted fits that bill. Just my $.02

the accuracy your gonna give up shouldn't be much. So little with a quality ar in fact that it wouldn'r be the deciding factor for me. I'd rather have the fast follow-ups in case. I might even have it chambered in 7mm-08 or something similar. Put a good trigger in it and run with it. A .308 should be more than sufficient for some squirrely(sp?) hogs. If I was hidden, I'd use my Creedmoor and put the bullets in their ear. FWIW

An accurate bolt gun and head shots rock on piggies. Having eaten a bunch of em call me crazy but a head shot piggie which flops down dead invariably tastes better than one that runs off double lunged or heart shot, no adrenals pumped. An ar10 or 15 usually leaves you feeling like you are in a dove field and have a triple headed your way, you plan your shot poof theres one down, whiff, whiff, now where did that first one go?

I don't care how big the pig a 77grn smk to the butt of the ear will put him down scd. I have taken several with a 22 mag. However if you want a clean kill, great meat and no tracking a headshot with a .308 can not be beat

Multiple hog kills are nice but one hell of a lot of work to accomadate unless you have a solid local processor and equipment so start small and work up. One ethical kill shot is better than one kill and several wounded piggies as well even though they are feral that is unless you follow the vultures the next day and wack the yotes on em. Hint Hint.

A cold steel spear point with ash shaft and backed up by a 458 socom will be my parties challenge this year!

I'd recommend a rifle that's comfortable and which you can shoulder fast and effectively. 308 is fine choice, maybe a bolt gun with 20" barrel length? Red dot or low power scope, depending on expected shooting distances.

Reload with fast powder and medium weight (150-160gr) premium bullets to cut down on muzzle blast but still provide adequate penetration on difficult shots (running etc.) No need to max out the load (keeps recoil and muzzle blast down), but pay attention to manufacturer's suggested terminal velocity.

If you expect running shots and other fast situations, don't get carried away with a 223. They're fine if you have time for a precise head shot (or maybe preferably a high neck shot?)

For most hunts you want a lighter handier rifle. The two that I usually grab are a Winchester Featherweight in .308 with a Nightforce 2.5-10X32 Compact or an 16" AR with an 4X ACOG. But it really all depends on terrain. There have been times where I'm setting up on a treeline/field out of a vehicle and I break out the heavy precision rifles, but if you like walking and stalking instead of sitting in/on a vehicle, get a lighter rifle.

I let my wife use a 7wsm with a few mods.

deercamera9-3-9083.jpg

You will have no problems with a .223, and the short AR-15 will be easy to move with in very thick brush, and still offer quick shots.

Can you even have AR-15's in California? I am asking because everyone is always complaining about the laws.

Janus,

Like some of the others have mentioned, some pigs hang out in some thick areas. Not sure where you hunt them, but I have shot quite a few up off the Central Coast. I have mainly used .308's, both in a "scout" set-up and with some of my work rifles (heavy deployment guns) and I continue to go back to the lightweight weapon.

Will the .223/5.56 work, yes, I have shot a few with my Commando for ammo testing and shot placement was the key. My current pig rifle is a pre-64 Winchester (Featherweight) Model 70 in 30-06. Hits hard, have plenty of non-toxic ammo and it can be carried all day long.

As far as having 9 rounds to follow-up, don't let the game warden find you with a 10 round magazine, as California only allows 5 rounds in a rifle while hunting. All in all, I would go with the .30 caliber weapon, as sometimes pigs can get rather large depending on where you are hunting and it might be nice to have a few more grains on the bullet.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

Like 79 said .223 is just fine as long as you get a decent shot. At least here in Texas. And some of those pigs can go 300+

over grown rats really.

We've used everything from 22lr to 30-06 including pistol calibers as well.

Pigs are quite stupid. They frequently walk by our duck blind with no clue ...and their smell is supposed to be good too!

Some times I feel kinda bad for them after we drag them over to a tree to rot. That is until I see the damage they cause.

The do get you a little excited though.

Joe: I'm with you. As a lifelong hunter hogs are one of the few animals that I don't feel bad about blasting and leaving to rot. The guys that tell me I'm unethical obviously haven't been down here and seen the damage these critters cause to agriculture. One of the farmers that I help out lost 50K worth of corn to them in 1 year, and I shoot a ton of pigs on his property.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some times I feel kinda bad for them after we drag them over to a tree to rot. That is until I see the damage they cause.</div></div>

You go to the trouble to drag them to a tree?

I've hunted them with both an ar10 and .308.

A light .308 bolt gun is what I'd pick. Plenty of power, quick follow up shots, and light to carry.

The eating ones shoot in the head....the ones you just wanna kill wherever you can.

We only ate the sub 150lbers.

I am in the Bay Area, and will be hunting in and around Monterey/Santa Cruz county. I have decided on the AR10 and am already started figuring out which parts I'll be using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Multiple hog kills are nice but one hell of a lot of work to accomadate unless you have a solid local processor and equipment so start small and work up.</div></div>
Processing meat wont be an issue, my best friend owns an organic meat processing plant 20 minutes from my house, and it doesn't get more organic than feral pigs. It's a pretty sweet deal: drop off a kill, go grab lunch, come back to fresh sausage!
wink.gif
And if I help him out we can turn 500+ lbs of meat into sausage in one day... It is just a lot of work~

I am going to be the odd man out here and post something completely different. The reason there is so much discussion between .308 and the .223, is that 1) the .223 does indeed lead to a lot of crippled hogs. Any of you that shoots alot of them knows that the "behind the ear" presentation just isn't possible about 50% of the time. 2) A .308 is invariably heavy with a LOT of blast and noise, more so, if you decide to try to "small up" by going to a short bbl. You won't like carrying an AR-10 past the headlights of the truck, and you sacrifice a lot of velocity if you try to go as short as 16". You definitely will hate carrying an AR-10 with any kind of NVD on it. 3) If you have ever fired an unsuppressed 12" .308, you probably won't think killing a pig is even worth that godawful experience.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel bad killing them just for extermination, but I LOVE the meat and I want to recover at least the tenderloins. So, I want the thing DRT. I kill well over 100+ per year, too.

My choice? Once I switched over to a 6lb 6.8 SPC with Barnes 85 grain TSX's and 110 TTSX's I have not seen more than 5% of the hogs I shoot, run <span style="font-style: italic">anywhere.</span> They go down on the spot 95% of the time, even when shot through the shoulder. In fact, the TTSX's go from hip to shoulder and out!

This rig, even with suppressor, and D-740, only weighs 9 lbs. and it balances so well, I can carry it all night. The blast and recoil are minimal, far less than with .308, which makes for faster follow up. The killing power is light years ahead of any .223/5.56 I ever used.

This 250+ lb boar dropped dead with one 85 grain TSX to the shoulder. I shot this at night, from 207 yards, with my 12" barreled 6.8 SPC.

DSCF5048.jpg

I completely agree with everything you have said. However, that doesn't change the fact that my personal weapon of choice for killing hogs is the 223.

Why??? The reason for that is that out of 100 hogs I shoot probably 90+ are under 200 pounds and the majority of those are under 100 pounds. I would much rather have a 243, 25-06, 308, etc.... on a 300 pound hog but in the real world that just isn't a very consistent problem.

i am with cbosshog, i have seen many a pig that met its end due to a well place 223 round.

Nice looking Hogs, looks like some very good eating there!!!

I was wondering why some dont like to eat the bigger hogs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not recommend a .223 for Hog hunting here in Cali. A .308 is a fine choice.

However, not quite knowing where you'll be hunting it is hard to say what rifle you should use.

Many northern Cali pigs make their home in fairly hilly areas with a good amount of dense vegitation. You'll want a short, lighter rifle that is quick to shoulder, easy to maneuver and doesn't weigh you down over the course of a day's hunt. I don't think that either option you noted fits that bill. Just my $.02 </div></div>+1 100%. My two fvorite pig guns are (were) my Rem 7600 .30-06, and my Ruger .44 carbine. I wish IO still had the Rem. The .44 is an awsome pig gun out to 100yds, and where we hunted, we seldom shot any further than that. A .223 is just asking for trouble around here. Big black razor back'll just laugh at you.

Kawika: I don't eat the big ones because they are too freaking heavy to drag outta the bush and put in the truck. I have taken to harvesting the smaller pigs and putting them whole on the spit, or, as HTR707 says, I just hack out the tenderloins and leave the rest for the yotes'.

First of all, that REALLY sucks that you are hunting in commifornia...my condolences...

Secondly, my personal preference is an AR-10 with a saiga 12 as back-up. Buckshot is great for the little piggies and slugs do wonders on the larger hogs if I get in a bind. It's nice to have 12 round mags for a shotgun!

Anyways, on the rifle--you definitely want a .308. I have a buddy who shot a boar around 20 times behind the shoulder blade with .223 before it went down. Granted it was 250 lbs or so and there's not many of those, it only takes one time getting your ass torn up to regret not having a larger caliber. They are vicious critters and need to be put down fast before they put you down. Not sure if you're stalking or hunting from a stand, but this is my humble opinion based on stalking. Be safe and don't take chances--they are VERY dangerous animals and deserve no mercy.

What is the best bullet when using a 223? I was thinking of using a Barnes Triple-Shock 62 Grain.

Use the heaviest bullet you can--DO NOT use FMJ! My buddy was using that FMJ when he shot the hog about 20 times. It just paper punches with minimal damage. Get something that fragments or has a hollow/soft/ballistic tip for expansion. You want to do as much damage as you can as fast as you can. This is why I use 3006 or .308--FMJ does plenty of damage out of these and is often a 1 hit KO, though I do often use soft tip to be on the safe side.

The Barnes bullets work great on pigs, as do the 64gr Winchester Power Point loads. Shot placement with the .223 is a little more critical than with larger caliber weapons, especially with the larger hogs.

I love the 45/70 for pigs smashes them from any angle out to 150 yards; If yo hit them up the pooper with a 300 gr HP at 2200 fps it typically drops there guts out and they dont take a step.

BoarUnderBrush.jpg

ShitFighterPig2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cbosshog79</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some times I feel kinda bad for them after we drag them over to a tree to rot. That is until I see the damage they cause.</div></div>

You go to the trouble to drag them to a tree? </div></div>

Yes. The ribs will actually puncture tractor tires.

In the last few years I have used a M1A for hogs. This year I am going to use a .223 Rem 700 in a AICS with a AAC M4 1000.
This one was at a friends ranch that we just unclogged a feeder and this 185lb hog came in.
DSCF0338.jpg

BoxBlind.jpg

This is one my brother shot with a .308 soft point.
DSCF0835.jpg

well, My brother in law is in the timber business in East Texas and we have taken quite a few with evrything and anything you an imagine. 308's work great from a deer blind especially suppressed, ar's work great suppressed but sitting on the front of a quail rig a short barreled auto or pump shotgun with Hornandy sst slugs knock the crap out of them. These are 450 gr and the farthest shot going down the fire lanes is maybe 40 yards. Shot placements isn't as important when you are aiming behind the shoulder and a grapefruit size hole comes out on the other side. In 10 years, on 25K acres we,the hand, friends what not have pounded over 3200 hogs, some were captured and some were hunted with dogs, but the majority was with a rifle ,shotgun or pistol

I was about to reply 6.8 AR as my preferred hog hunting gun and I read where HTR posted... HTR is a certified hog wacking mofo
he's killed LOTS of them

6.8 SPC in an AR rocks for hogs

I have killed quite a few of them with mine with the barnes 110s and they are as dead as if I was using a 308 or 270...

my baby from AR15performance.com

reconcoker.jpg

dscf2641d.jpg

I had the great privelage to get invited hog hunting with Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat at his place up in north east Texas..

He was impressed enough with it (and he hunts hogs damned near every day (and night and he's come out with his own line of 6.8s after experiencing first hand how well it works...

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/h_hog3.asp

ccoker: very nice set-up!

Haven't had the chance to try hogs with this one, but I'd like to. Right now it's set up as a "dog gun," as in coyotes (feral dogs, woodchucks, etc).

But glad to know the 5.56mm will take down hogs.

My "hunting" AR in black & FDE digital ...
CZ9.jpg

Ya know, it may not be very tacticool or high speed but that little CZ looks pretty good. And the AR goes without saying, very nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kyshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya know, it may not be very tacticool or high speed but that little CZ looks pretty good. And the AR goes without saying, very nice. </div></div>

Thanks, Kyshooter!

Don't want to steal Janus' thread so I'll start a separate one somewhere else (maybe here or on the photo forum) w/ pics of said "Dog Gun." It's the only "hunting" AR I have.

That <span style="font-weight: bold">CZ 82 M&P</span> was - more or less humorously - marshalled into field service as a "back-up" or secondary weapon for finishing off critters up close - if needed
eek.gif
However, I wasn't thinking of using it on Wild Boars, but rather on coyotes, feral dogs, ground hogs, racoons, etc. Frankly I didn't know what other use a super-accurate little 9mmMak pistol might have, since my carry/duty stuff is all muscle: 10mm AUTO.

In case you missed it, here's the thread link to my report on the CZ's "multi-cam" paint job:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1300189#Post1300189

cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the other gun I love to use for hog hunting, Smith 6.5" Performance Center 44 with an Aimpoint T1 and handloaded 255g Keith hardcast at 1300fps

dscf2631u.jpg
</div></div>

Great pic! Thanks ccoker.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Edited to add:</span> Actually, after seeing ccoker's 6.5" .44 wheely, it reminded me that I ought to pull out my Smith 6.5" 10mm 610, a 1st Generation model. It's pre-owned x1 and its former owner took several whitetails with it way up in Michigan using some smokin' hot 200gn XTP-HP reload he'd cooked up. I assume a "heavy & fast" 10mm could take out a Wild Boar.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: secondstoryguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kawika: I don't eat the big ones because they are too freaking heavy to drag outta the bush and put in the truck. I have taken to harvesting the smaller pigs and putting them whole on the spit, or, as HTR707 says, I just hack out the tenderloins and leave the rest for the yotes'. </div></div>

secondstoryguy: I hear what youre saying I rarely bring them out of the mountains anymore I just debone them now and once in a great while will bring one out to the truck its hard packin thats for sure.

18937142_pack_on_landing.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cbosshog79</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some times I feel kinda bad for them after we drag them over to a tree to rot. That is until I see the damage they cause.</div></div>

You go to the trouble to drag them to a tree? </div></div>

LMAO... good to see some Texas guys on here! I know how you feel... I was hunting around brushy creek the last couple years, and when those stinking bastards would run down into the bottom after I shot, I just counted it up to feed the coyotes and fire ants...

as a dedicated hog rifle, I think an AR10 platform would be pretty nice. I have also shot most of my hogs iwth an AR15 using 55 grain 223 rounds. Head shots are not an issue, and I have killed dozens of pigs with this gun. I have also killed them with my .40 glock, .357, 7mm mag, 22 mag..... I just kill every one I see. Around here, it's not so much about "hunting" them, as it is eradicating them...
laugh.gif

For hunting, I'd use a hunting rifle.

i don't have one of these yet, but <span style="font-style: italic">Gun Tests</span> magazine came down heavily in favor of the Remington Model 750. They were leery at first as the original platform had been historically plagued with nitpicky problems. But they say that Remington finally got it right with this version.

The article said that aftermarket 10rd mags are available, but extensive internet searching on my own part has failed to find any.

As you can see from the link, a number of effective chamberings are available. Plz note the .35 Whelen carbine version.

Until I get one of my own, I make do with a 20ga semi loaded with slugs and a Win '94 .44Mag Lever Gun.

Greg

I've shot them with great success with a .458 socom and 45-70