• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wild Turkey leg recipe

krink85

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2008
Sierra Vista AZ
So I did some searching on the interwebs and most the info I found about cooking wild turkey legs was nil. Some said throwing them in a slow cooker and throw the meat away and use the broth. Others said throw em to the yotes. I didn't want to do either so I took a stab at them.

First I deboned the meat (leg and thigh). Then I removed the tendons and unwanted parts. If you can filet a fish you can strip the meat from the tendons. Once all the unwanted parts were removed I placed the good parts in a crock pot with 1 bottle (small) worshire sauce, and enough water to cover the meat by around 1/2 inch. I did spice it lightly. I cooked it for aprox 3 hours. When it was done I removed the meat, strained the broth to get rid of the chunks. I must say the stock was awesome. Nice and light tasting but enough flavor if added to what ever you want.

With the larger chunks of meat I tried shredding with a fork and did that for a bit but it wasn't working all that well. I then just pulled it apart with my hands. The shredded meat now went back into the crock pot with some broth, Sweet Baby Rays bb q sauce, and a little more spices for just a hint of flavor. I hit it on high in the crock pot for an hour or so and then let it simmer on low till it was the consistency I wanted. The end result is awesome pulled turkey/turkey joes. I wish I would have snapped a picture but it was too good to stop eating.

Hopefully someone uses this idea or at least uses the leg for more. If any one has other recipes please share them. Happy eating!!

Re: Wild Turkey leg recipe

I generally just bone out the legs / thighs then grind them. It's useful for patties or jerky stix.

hangunnr

I just put the legs and thighs in the crock pot and pour bbq sauce or just some spice the cook them for 4 hrs. Meat will fall off the bones and tendons then you are ready for the shredded turkey sandwiches.

I find it a lot easier to get the meat off of the bones after it is cooked than before.

jason

i put them (along with the wings and whatever else i can scrape up of the bird) into a stew / soup kinda thing in a large pot.

3.5 cups of water
1cube chicken boulion
turkey parts
garlic and pepper (eventually to taste)
split peas 1 lb (dried type)
4-5 small potatoes, cubed
1 med onion, chopped
white or great northern beans 1 lb (dried type)
4 carrots, sliced
3 celery stalks, chopped
4 tbsp of butter

bring to a boil, then slow cook 6.5 to 7 hrs until everything is soft, stir well every 30 to 45 min. about halfway through i remove the meat from the legs and mix in.

sounds like it's not good, but turns out pretty tasty

was thinking about adding some ham, bacon, or kielbasa on my next pot to give it some extra kick.

I either grind em up for turkey salad or make turkey and dumplings/noodles with em after crok pottin em til tender. Too much meat for us to throw away.

got some need cooking. the last one coud have started a starvation diet around here, bad recipie.....I'll give this a shot. Jim