• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Will Bedding effect load?

Racinready300ex

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2010
I've been trying to work up a load for the last week. Now I had read savages like to have the rear tang floated. So today I took some material off under the rear tang so it would float. I also know I didn't torque the gun the same.(few more inch/lbs on the rear screw)

I went to the range and shot 2 groups that were about 1". The gun has shot multiple .5 ish groups with this same load.

So did I probably just screw up today? Or do I really need to just start over with my load development due to my changes?

I figured it would change the way it shot, but wasn't expecting it to get worse, or need a different load worked up.

Re: Will Bedding effect load?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Racinready</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been trying to work up a load for the last week. Now I had read savages like to have the rear tang floated. So today I took some material off under the rear tang so it would float. I also know I didn't torque the gun the same.(few more inch/lbs on the rear screw)

I went to the range and shot 2 groups that were about 1". The gun has shot multiple .5 ish groups with this same load.

So did I probably just screw up today? Or do I really need to just start over with my load development due to my changes?

I figured it would change the way it shot, but wasn't expecting it to get worse, or need a different load worked up. </div></div>

I've had two Savages since summer of '05 and I've read a lot of stuff on tweaking them, but I've never read that the rear tang likes to "float".

You removed material under the rear tang, so there is space under it, between it and the stock material?

Both my McMillan A3 and Varmint Low Profile stocks, have the tangs mated to the stock material. I think Savage probably knows what they're doing, don't you?

Which stock is this, their basic one, or an aftermarket like th McM or HS Precision jobbies?

Maybe it's time for you to just do a full bedding job, since you'll probably want to fill that void back up, which you created.

If it ain't broke, don't muck with it, as they say.

Chris

It's a factory savage thumb hole stock I bought online to replace the factory tupaware stock.

If figured worse case I can fill it back in with bedding compound, no big deal.

It shot good in the old stock like this, I just forgot to do it when I bedded it into this stock. But, before I was using lighter bullets to.

Anything you do to the rifle like, adding a brake, bedding the action, different torque to action screws, will change the harmonics of the rifle and you will need to re-work your load.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Releaving any preasure on the rear tang would change the harmonics, and screw up my load.