• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will Heavy Barrel Weaken Receiver???

fatcat265

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2012
I am having a 338 Norma built on a Remington 700 action and a Cadence chassis. The barrel is 1.25" blank at 28" and will have a Thunderbeast can hanging off the end. Do I need to worry about the weight and cantilever effect causing damage to the action? If so would it be wrong to make a saddle and run a jack screw through forearm to support the barrel?

Re: Will Heavy Barrel Weaken Receiver???

The jack screw idea wouldnt be a good one, as you would loose the free float on your barrel. The weakening the action question I cant answer, but being in a chassis will help, especially if you bed the action.

Not an answer but a question:
what would be wrong with bedding the barrel 3" or so past the receiver?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not an answer but a question:
what would be wrong with bedding the barrel 3" or so past the receiver? </div></div>

Nothing at all!

I've seen a ver accurate 6.5x47 Lapua built on a s/a Rem 700 with a 1.25" straight tube, don't know about the extra 25 ounces though.

If you're gonna grab the muzzle and use it as a club then probably yes, otherwise, i doubt it.

Won't effect it at all.
Had a 1.45 straight 6mmBR off a remington s/a no effect. Still have action on a 22-250ai still 1 hole gun.

Use a single piece steel base and open the holes up to 8-40. Doubt you'll ever have an issue.

I would bed 2 or 3 inches of the barrel to take some of the load off the thread tenon.
smile.gif

Regards, Paul

Thanks guys for the input. I was not to keen on the idea of anything pressed against the barrel myself. But I do like the idea of bedding the barrel at the receiver.

I built a .260 with a 30" barrel in a PUG style stock and the thing is a hammer.

Look up "D&L MR30PG rifles" to get an idea of what I am talking about. They have a secondary barrel bedding block on them to bed about 3" of the barrel, but I opted against it and had no complaints whatsoever.

edited because I apparently can't spell

I have a stock R700 receiver that has a 28" HV17 barrel with a brake. Its bolted into a McRee chassis, so there is no other support holding the barrel.

I've hung a 30" heavy 338 with sound mod off a r700 and decided to bed about 1.5" of the barrel forward of the recoil lug just to add some extra support. I was pillar bedding the action anyway so It was easy to do it and makes reasonable sense. However I'm sure it'll be fine either way as I've also shot it out of an aics with no barrel bedding and it was fine.

I'm a fan of FL bedding a receiver diameter straight bull(1.350") on a 700...assuming a great stock,which means McMillan.

Though I don't have one longer than 24".