• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes will NF 5.5-22 hold 12ga recoil on light shotgun?

vtb

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
Evil Empire. Moscow.
Hello sh.

Don't get me wrong - just trying to test if 12ga FABARM SAT8 will be able to shoot bullet round past 100 meters and what the drop will be.

To test it correctly i don't want to buy new scope - because it's just a test.

So the question is - SAT8 is pretty light - 2.7kg. Will NF survive the recoil?

Thank you in advance.

Re: will NF 5.5-22 hold 12ga recoil on light shotgun?

Google Nightforce factory torture test, should find some stuff that will put your mind at ease.

Edit: I googled it and can't find it but I have seen a torture test video they made at the factory testing return to zero and what kind of abuse they can take. No way a 12ga can hurt it IMO after seeing it.

A nightforce will hold up to any handheld gun you could put it on that I know of. And probably a lot that are bigger than handheld ones.

So let me get this straight...you are concerned about whether a NF NXS 5.5-22x will withstand the recoil of a 12ga autoloading shotgun?!?!

Yes...it will hold up just fine and you should have no problems with it whatsoever.

Do you REALLY want to mount a 22x optic on a SHOTGUN?!?!

No...probably not, but then again it isn't as if you'll be leaving it on there permanently.

Out of purely morbid curiosity on my part (and I am sure on the part of other members here), PLEASE take some pictures of your shotgun while your 22x NF is mounted on it. Inquiring minds want to know!!

I have used NF on a .338 Lapua with so-so brake and it kept hammering without any issue so I assume a 12 gauge isn't going to even come close to harming it . What kind of slug do you plan on using? I assume you are using a slug right?

I like magnification as much as the next guy but a nightforce on a shotgun is juts absurd.

Guys.

1. Thank you for your answers
2. My rem700 is in disassembly stage at the moment - so the scope is just lying around
3. I don't want to buy a 1-4 scope just to test the drop of slug.

Again - this is one of those weird ideas which just for fun. But I don't see why it will not work

Of course I will post pictures - at least if they make you smile the project was a success
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vtb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys.

1. Thank you for your answers
2. My rem700 is in disassembly stage at the moment - so the scope is just lying around
3. I don't want to buy a 1-4 scope just to test the drop of slug.

Again - this is one of those weird ideas which just for fun. But I don't see why it will not work

Of course I will post pictures - at least if they make you smile the project was a success
smile.gif
</div></div>

I promise I will show a smile when you post pics of that beast on an SAT8 (which is an EXCELLENT semi-auto shotgun in my opinion)!
smile.gif

I think that you will find, at least from my own experiences, that the max effective range for a shotgun slug from a smooth-bore barrel (not a dedicated rifled slug gun shooting saboted slugs) will be around 100yds give or take depending on the ammo, your skill set, etc. At least that is the absolute max I would use one on game if you want accurate shot placement and an ethical kill. If you just need to get 1oz chunks of lead downrange in a hurry, or if you have a larger target than your average deer/person/etc., then you can likely extend that range somewhat (maybe another 50yds or so).

With a rifled slug barrel and a high-quality sabot slug...you may be able to reliably and accurately engage game-size targets out to 200yds.

As for you determining the drop...again, that will vary greatly, but in my experience, with a 50yd zero for slugs, you will get between 3.5" to 6" of drop out to 100yds depending on the ammo used, and they will drop like a brick and in a hurry from there on out.

Again, I'll be interested in some pics and your experiences with stretching out the range of your SAT8. Should be fun for you if nothing else!!

1. It's sdass pump-action - mounted scope today (my mistake with model in the first post)
2. Will go to the range this weekend

Pic so far:

So again I assume the NF will hold recoil of 12ga slug on pump-action?

LOL...Love it, bet you're gonna get some pretty entertaining comments at the range. NF will do just fine with the recoil.

Keep us posted on your findings.

Ok guys.

Were on the range today.

1. NF holds recoil fine
2. Shooting 32grams slugs with 399 m/s from the pump-action which weights only 2.7kg from the bags - well it just smthg One should just get used to.
smile.gif

1. Finding one - to 100 meters trajectory like flat line.
2. Finding two - from 100 to 150 meters it looks like slug starts to loose speed dramatically.
3. To achieve good accuracy one should use autoloader - you change body position a bit evert time pump action reloads
4. Slugs can go in one hole (from 50 meters) so the best way to zero a shotgun on 100 meters is just get a big target. Because if you zero it on 50 meters and go on 60 meters it's very hight possibility that spotter won't recognize hit which flew in the privious hole.

Pics (eye candy
smile.gif
)

Target at 100 meters (group of 5 shots in the center is the target group)

Conclusion - no problem to hit a man's head target at 100 meters with surplus slug from the smoothbore

Ps
My .308 rem700 with aac blackout brake has NO recoil
smile.gif

LMAO, a 12ga w/ a 22x NF mounted. That is awsome. Thanks for the pics!!!