• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 70 & FN SPR owners... PT&G's new DBM

Niles Coyote

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2007
    South West, MI
    What’s stuck on my floor plate??? ;)

ptgdbm002.jpg

ptgdbm003.jpg

ptgdbm004.jpg

Why it's PTG's new win70/FN SPR DBM :D
    https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.co...ucts_id=1401&zenid=7kihkv4psf6cp244ion1dkcit7

It dropped right into my floor plate inlet. I may have to remove a little bedding (user applied) from the previous hinged floorplate to get it to feed 100% as it looks like the rim of the cartridges in the mag need to come up a little to fully engage the bolt face every time. That should be an easy fix and I bet had I not bedded the previous floor plate it would be good to go.

EDIT to ADD: I tinkered around tonight since I had a little more time and the issue I was having with feeding was not related to the bedding I did on the previous floorplate nor the DBM but was due to the feed lips on that one mag being slightly more open on the end near the neck of the shell casing when loaded into the mag. This allowed the cartridge to assume a very slight nose high postion and lowered the case head just enough that the bolt would not pick it up on rounds two and three from the mag. After a carefull adjustment of those lips inward and the issue was fixed, also the second mag I tried was good as is. So if anyone runs into this thats the first place to look.

The short throat in this rifle (Winchester stealth 308 in a FN/SPR stock) coupled with the OAL the magazine will accept (2.9+ uses AI AE mk1 mags) will make running long nosed VLD's into or just off the lands (shooter's choice) a piece of cake. (edit to add: the mag can accept a COAL of ~2.95")

I may just take this rifle to Montana this year and leave the 260 at home... teamed up with JLK's 180gr LB-VLD (got to love it's .580g1) it would be bad medicine on Mule Deer and Coyote.

Last edited:
    Looks nice. Too bad the mags are pricey but gives a no mod option for mag feed.

AI AE Mk1 are thin single stacks magazines, this system requires ZERO metal work to the action unlike the AICS magazines. Plus the AE mags allow for a much longer OAL like an AW mag would.

Will that bottom metal take AICS magazines with no mods?

I understand the action needs a little milling for it to be used with AICS magazines.

I understand the action needs a little milling for it to be used with AICS magazines.

No mods at all with the PTG system and it uses the Mk1 mags which are single stack, single feed and only available in 5 round capacity.

Well I wish I would have known these were ai mk1 magazines. I have a 300wsm and I just got my bottom metal and magazine. They definitely will not work. I guess I'll have to figure something else out for bottom metal. It looked really nice so if you have a 308 or similar it will work great. Now if someone only made a detachable bottom metal for regular ai mags.

Where did u get ur mags at? I have a a3g that would love a mag option . I hate to dremel out the factory bedding for a tbm, along with re-inlet it. Might have to call ptg to see if this is compatible with the a3g. Thanks for making me spend money.lol

hows the fit and finish. are the mags seated firmly? any side to side wobble?

Last edited:
    Well I wish I would have known these were ai mk1 magazines. I have a 300wsm and I just got my bottom metal and magazine. They definitely will not work. I guess I'll have to figure something else out for bottom metal. It looked really nice so if you have a 308 or similar it will work great. Now if someone only made a detachable bottom metal for regular ai mags.

Why not just use CDI bottom metal with accurate-mag 300wsm mags? That is what I use in my Win70 7wsm, runs like an open sore.

Where did u get ur mags at? I have a a3g that would love a mag option . I hate to dremel out the factory bedding for a tbm, along with re-inlet it. Might have to call ptg to see if this is compatible with the a3g. Thanks for making me spend money.lol

I got my mags through PTG and this will work on your a3g without any mods

hows the fit and finish. are the mags seated firmly? any side to side wobble?

Fit and finish are great IMHO... I notice no more slop than what a AICS/badger system has and no rattle when mags are loaded or not loaded when I shake the rifle.

As a side note, I tinkered around tonight since I had a little more time and the issue I was having with feeding was not related to the bedding I did on the previous floorplate nor the DBM but was due to the feed lips on that one mag being slightly more open on the end near the neck of the shell casing when loaded into the mag. This allowed the cartridge to assume a very slight nose high postion and lowered the case head just enough that the bolt would not pick it up on rounds two and three from the mag. After a carefull adjustment of those lips inward and the issue was fixed, also the second mag I tried was good as is. So if anyone runs into this thats the first place to look.

Also, for those that reload the mag can accept a COAL of ~2.95"

Just to add to the response already stated, the AI AE Mk1 mag is much thiner than AICS mags so there would be no way to fit a AICS mag into the PTG DBM system.

Thanks, cheaper option then tbm and i don't have to have a smith re inlet the mcm. Okay with 5 rd mags. I find when in the prone, with my handloads at max length for the floorplate box, it is easy to get one too far forward and screw up the reload. Again thanks niles.

Got one inbound, pretty good deal on mag/dbm combo. 144 for combo and 70 for a second mag. Hopefully they jive with the a3g bedded floorplate inlet. Shoots too good to screw up, guess i gotta try.

I think I read in another thread that PTG is in the process of testing an 8 round mag for use with this. Anyone know if that's true or not?

Last edited:
    Thanks Niles. Did you purchase your rifle with the current stock and barrel that is shown in the pictures or did you do all of that from a more "stock" platform that you started off with?

The barreled action is a Winchester stealth 308. I didn't care for the factory stock and found a McMillan A3, which I got a few years back and is originally a FN SPR A1 take off stock.

Last edited:
    Will this work with a Pre-64 model 70?

Have a 270 that I could pick up a spare stock for if this doesn't modify the receiver