• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester M70

But a short action and .308 šŸ˜

gonna need to replace the irons.

The rings and base are cool. But some part of me wants mellow blued mounts for the scopeā€¦.
Its an old Buehler mount set up.

Scope is a Leupold M8 4x.
A blued Buehler would be slick on it. An old Leupold with the curved script would be cool also.

A blued Buehler would be slick on it. An old Leupold with the curved script would be cool also.

Like this mount? And this Leupold?

PXL_20210929_023728946.jpg
PXL_20210929_023752346.jpg
PXL_20210929_023831860.jpg

I keep thinking I need to build one of these, but I have more 30-06's that you can shake a stick at. Maybe one in 240 Weatherby, 257 Roberts, or 6.5x55 just to change things up.

Reactions: sandwarrior
Waking this back up...
55xxx, 1946 action, New bbl, later wood stock, bc I hate the low drop pre-war stocks...
This is gonna be another working rifle.

IMG950498.jpg

29xxx, a 40, still in pipeline to get its stainless bbl screwed in... Will b the slightly older twin...

Last edited:
j-huskey that sir is something!!

Details on the action and barrel. Did you re blue or some other coating?

New chrome moly barrel, old school hot blue, off the receiver.

Action is a 1940 that's been in my clutches 30+ or so years.
Last iteration was 6mm Rem in a Marksman heavy stock, shot at Camp Perry in the 1000 yard matches.
It's also bedded to that stock now, just in case.
Working on finding a McLaine Unertl to play with from time to time,
Otherwise it will wear a mk4 leupold like it's brothers. Until playtime..

Started life as a 3006 sporter w a side mount scope. You can see the screw holes plugged. When I got it, the barrel was pitted to ruin inside.
Should have kept the original stock, but... one of them divorces... then...
Went 3006 hb in the marksman stock.
Then 308 hb.
Then 6mm hb.
Now back to 3006.
Old 70's properly treated never die... they just keep coming back.

what weight bullet are yall shooting through these rifles? Heavy or light bullets? kinda looking for a 150 grain load, which seems to be the most popular in factory ammo now, but the closest thing you can get to the old M72 is a 175 grain SMK. kinda want to try something with the 155 grain SMK but those are just unavailable these days.

what yall got that is close in the 150 range for bullets and loads?

51-52 grains of imr 4064 w 150, 155's. One of those combos will work.
49-50 imr 4895

Might bump both up depending on pressure signs in your rifle. 53 4064 is old 1974 Sierra max.

I'm running from 150's to 190's

Back in 2016 I found at a local store a late 1950's M70 "Featherweight" hunting rifle in 308W (serial range 299xxx). Price was nice, so it became a replica sniper rifle project. Bought a Douglas blank short chambered in 30-06, with the same contour as the old Winchester 'medium heavy' target rifle profile. Here's what it looked like after installation and bluing (a satin type finish - not glossy but not matte either). Barrel profile difference is notable.

M70_project_Douglas_vs_WRA_barrel.JPG

I had an old Markman stock that had some 1950's era Accuglass bedding, so we cleaned that up and bedded my action in MarineTex.
Vintage Marksman stock channel.JPG

...and here it is at the range last year. Scope is an old Unertl 10x. I had the original silver mounts blackened, and it has Steve Earle scope blocks.
Range_pic_M70_112021_v2.jpg

Here's the pet load I developed for it in 2017 - just wish that 5th-shot would not have gone wide - but that was probably me, and not the rifle.
M70_168_TMK_H4350_Oct17_sml.JPG

My contribution re the oldie but goodie pre-64 M70s.

Last edited:
These are crappy pics but at least show the weight.

First is LtCol Chandlers Model 70 with a 8X USMC Unertl. This is the weight. The serial is 18 digits off Ryan's Model 70 with the USMC Cash Sales slip.

279095446_507743687478989_4434537204440186249_n.jpg

Second is the only documented Marine team rifle known to exist. It was a USMC International Match Rifle in 1927. Well the receiver was I should say. The Marines had about 12 of them and used them till about 1933. This one was used by both Col Cutts and Capt McDougal. In 1933 they were broken down for parts and the actions were kept for Team use. Later it was built into a Marine special Target and then was modified for the USMC Unertl. To show the weight comparison to a Model 70', I am including this. They are really about the same in weight.
278926524_430174065583298_6108723104123294350_n.jpg

Attachments

• 279095446_507743687478989_4434537204440186249_n.jpg
    279095446_507743687478989_4434537204440186249_n.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Contemplating taking mine to Sig Sauer , end of May, for a scoped rifle Skill Builder.

Past few I was at it was more about dialing and shooting shit, not so much holding or doing box drills etc.

My only fear is losing my zero and having the scope all batshit at distance.

Contemplating taking mine to Sig Sauer , end of May, for a scoped rifle Skill Builder.

Past few I was at it was more about dialing and shooting shit, not so much holding or doing box drills etc.

My only fear is losing my zero and having the scope all batshit at distance.
Noob questions but, can you zero out the turrets once zeroed? I assume MOA values, how many minutes per turn?

Noob questions but, can you zero out the turrets once zeroed?
No, that is a 21st century Tactical scope feature...didn't exist back in the 1940s-50s-60s on these externally adjustable scopes.
I assume MOA values, how many minutes per turn?
One full turn is 60 "mushy Chinese clicks" and 15 MOA. The newer "competition' turrets are supposedly much crisper re clicks, so I need to upgrade mine. I know a guy who for several years has used the repo Leatherwood repo scope given the glass, but w/ a vintage Unertl mount for the crisper clicks.

Noob questions but, can you zero out the turrets once zeroed? I assume MOA values, how many minutes per turn?
The turrets can be zeroed but there is no zero stop unless you consider the stadia lines under the turret good enough.

I have sharpies where my zero is but Iā€™m a little distrusting Iā€™ll get exactly back to zero.

No, that is a 21st century Tactical scope feature...didn't exist back in the 1940s-50s-60s on these externally adjustable scopes.

One full turn is 60 "mushy Chinese clicks" and 15 MOA. The newer "competition' turrets are supposedly much crisper re clicks, so I need to upgrade mine. I know a guy who for several years has used the repo Leatherwood repo scope given the glass, but w/ a vintage Unertl mount for the crisper clicks.
If you loosen the micro screws on the drum of an original Unertal you can slip the sleeve on the micrometer to zero.

This might be the greatest thread ever. I stumbled across it this AM and 1 hour later read all 16 pagesā€¦

Hoping your collective wisdom can shed some light on an interesting M70 GB listing:

This one is serial 86xxx per the seller so that would make it a transitional receiver, so why does it have a stripper clip slot?

See https://pre64win.com/blogs/welcome-...r-rifles-place-in-model-70-family-part-1-of-2

@pre64win

Also, any idea what a Model 54 barrel is doing on a 1948-made Model 70?

The rear bridge receiver just looks ā€¦ off to me, but Iā€™m not an expert.

Reactions: Average guy
Keep us updated on what you mentioned in the other thread. Might be better over there though. You have somebody lined up in the mean time?
Got my renewal in hand. Local PD is sympathetic to my position.

Timing of the notification, a Friday evening letter, the week before a major holiday, expiration day after the holiday is observed, in this state shit doesnā€™t happen that fast.

Jokes on them thoughā€¦I guess people think they suck and want to help the other guy.

Got a question about an extractor, I'm having a hard time extracting fired brass. Unfired seems to do ok, but I think this gun is showing it's operational wear in the spring steel after 80+ years.

Can I get an extractor from Williams in stainless steel? Apparently Brownells doesn't sell them anymore. I think @pre64win has blues Williams extractors. Hopefully that would fix my issue?

Can I have a Smith try and turn/tune my current extractor?

Really kicking around purchasing a nice pre-war (1940) M70 in a 30-06 for a Nam sniper built. Listed at 2k so not horrible. Has the checkered sporter stock on it as well as the sporter contour barrel. Conflicted a bit on replacing the barrel with a 24ā€ Douglas Varmint contour but I think Iā€™ll get over it. Fortunety the rear bridge is tapped so it sets up nicely for mounting a Redfield to it.

My other option is just to use my current 1951 M70 ad a donor action / stock but wouldnā€™t be proper and that would bother me. šŸ˜‚ this is what Iā€™m going for ā€¦

I did pick up a Marksman stock in the PX yesterday from @RTH1800 but I hat probably wonā€™t make it onto this build. Maybe onto the 1951 action later. Weā€™ll see.

Attachments

• E579E5D5-610E-44D6-AE24-031713263F74.jpeg
    E579E5D5-610E-44D6-AE24-031713263F74.jpeg
    557.3 KB · Views: 107
Really kicking around purchasing a nice pre-war (1940) M70 in a 30-06 for a Nam sniper built. Listed at 2k so not horrible. Has the checkered sporter stock on it as well as the sporter contour barrel. Conflicted a bit on replacing the barrel with a 24ā€ Douglas Varmint contour but I think Iā€™ll get over it. Fortunety the rear bridge is tapped so it sets up nicely for mounting a Redfield to it.

My other option is just to use my current 1951 M70 ad a donor action / stock but wouldnā€™t be proper and that would bother me. šŸ˜‚ this is what Iā€™m going for ā€¦

I did pick up a Marksman stock in the PX yesterday from @RTH1800 but I hat probably wonā€™t make it onto this build. Maybe onto the 1951 action later. Weā€™ll see.
A M70 with a Redfield on it is on my short list... I did the build with the Douglas Varmint contour first. You can't go wrong either way, buy it and please share some pictures!

USMC clone 1.jpg

DW

Whoops, I managed to win an auction with a low ball offer so I guess I'm the owner of another Model 70 308 with a heavy barrel. It's a 1986 model short action, aftermarket barrel, and a 3 position stock. I don't know if I want to pick up a marksman style stock, or maybe a standard stock and open up the barrel channel.

1269_1.jpg

Normally itā€™s the extractor collar that wears out. The actual extractor can ā€œgo flatā€ I have had that happen. Pop it off and bow it toward the bolt on both ends if the collar does not fix things up.
If you need 70 parts let me know. I have some, Have not looked for a while. Not sure what I have.
Got a question about an extractor, I'm having a hard time extracting fired brass. Unfired seems to do ok, but I think this gun is showing it's operational wear in the spring steel after 80+ years.

Can I get an extractor from Williams in stainless steel? Apparently Brownells doesn't sell them anymore. I think @pre64win has blues Williams extractors. Hopefully that would fix my issue?

Can I have a Smith try and turn/tune my current extractor?

Just got around to getting mine squared up, itā€™s a 1938 vintage that someone used as a Palma rifle. Receiver has pretty much every hole for every model 70 mount ever made and now sports a Douglas 30-06 barrel though it came with the factory original 30-06 as well. Stock was replaced with I guess a Boydā€™s but is bedded in the recoil lug and first couple inches of barrel.

Picked it up for $700 in an estate sale a couple years back, put a Timney in it since the safety didnā€™t work and got it threaded by my smith so now I can shoot it suppressed. Definitely not as nice as my Pre-War Sporter or Bull Gun but if Iā€™m going to thread one I might as well pick the one someone already fucked up. Gives me a rifle I can suppress for our old school hunting weekend.

5718E6A1-C1B7-468B-99C5-6F1D4B2B117E.jpeg

Just got around to getting mine squared up, itā€™s a 1938 vintage that someone used as a Palma rifle. Receiver has pretty much every hole for every model 70 mount ever made and now sports a Douglas 30-06 barrel though it came with the factory original 30-06 as well. Stock was replaced with I guess a Boydā€™s but is bedded in the recoil lug and first couple inches of barrel.

Picked it up for $700 in an estate sale a couple years back, put a Timney in it since the safety didnā€™t work and got it threaded by my smith so now I can shoot it suppressed. Definitely not as nice as my Pre-War Sporter or Bull Gun but if Iā€™m going to thread one I might as well pick the one someone already fucked up. Gives me a rifle I can suppress for our old school hunting weekend.

View attachment 8077025

That globe front sight sitting over the top of that suppressor is an awesome picture.

Reactions: camocorvette
When I had them thread it for the suppressor I specifically asked them to turn the barrel down to move the sight back. Going to shoot it this weekend and see how she does.

Good luck with the heat mirage!

Reactions: j-huskey
Good luck with the heat mirage!
So after shooting it it definitely is interesting. I shot 11 rounds in a row at a 3ā€ dot on paper and towards the end the dot would dance around in the open circle of the globe sight and then snap back into the middle for a second then proceed to dance again.

As my first suppressed 30-06 that rifle with a can is more fun than it has any right to be. I may eventually get around to tapping it to put an Unertl on it as well. Might shift the balance rearward a bit as it is very muzzle heavy.

This thread needs some more pictures...
Top is a transitional in .270 that was my dads, I've often been tempted to put a Lyman Super Target Spot on it... but so far have decided to just leave it like he had it, yes he was left handed. The middle is a Target model in .308 that some day will transition into an FBI sniper clone, and the bottom is a Pre-War 30-06 USMC sniper clone:
70S.jpg

DW

Hereā€™s mine. 51 or 51 in 270. Im gonna either fix the stock or replace it. And have the blueing redone.

Or on a wild card have it rebarreled into an 06.

Eventually.

Attachments

• 2BC7BD5D-5391-488C-9E2A-497C0325E84D.jpeg
    2BC7BD5D-5391-488C-9E2A-497C0325E84D.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 34
  • E85DCCFA-A9DC-45BE-9302-75164DE4A9CA.jpeg
    E85DCCFA-A9DC-45BE-9302-75164DE4A9CA.jpeg
    419.4 KB · Views: 36
  • BE115E4F-C007-4533-A182-B33DFE75C3F7.jpeg
    BE115E4F-C007-4533-A182-B33DFE75C3F7.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 35
This thread needs some more pictures...
Top is a transitional in .270 that was my dads, I've often been tempted to put a Lyman Super Target Spot on it... but so far have decided to just leave it like he had it, yes he was left handed. The middle is a Target model in .308 that some day will transition into an FBI sniper clone, and the bottom is a Pre-War 30-06 USMC sniper clone:
View attachment 8099608
DW
Delta,
Wow! Looking at the top rifle, from "No Country for Old Men" many people had wondered whether or not it was a real thing to have a heavy barreled .270. Do you know any of the details of that top rifle?

Reactions: camocorvette