• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

With the most accurate rimfire rifles ever???

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
I'd like to say a special thanks to hide member Mp5sd/n/k. I've gotten to know him over a Anshutz I had for sale on this forum. My love for rimfires goes back to when I was a kid with my first one, a Marlin micro groove. In recent years my interest has been in learning about rimfire rifles, the very accurate ones in particular. Ive read about all the rimfire gunsmiths their special craft and the rifles they build. I've also read about the legendary Anshutz line of rifles. After much thought I bought a Anshutz MPR 64. What a beast of a gun. Built in every way to lend to their heritage of pure accuracy. After much thought and quite a bit of shooting I wanted a change. The gun is too heavy for field work and the cocking effort doesn't lend itself to speed drills in the prone position. But that wasn't what the gun was ever meant for. This is where a deal was made with Mp5sd/n/k to build me a Carlos Hatcock style trainer. While not a gunsmith he is a very highly trained and talented mechanical engineer with over 30 years experience. He also has a huge background in .22 rimfire rifles and the best rimfire gunsmith techniques. In short he knows what it takes to make them scary accurate. So, what I received was a CZ 452 totally tricked out. Personally for me this is the Holy grail of rimfire rifles. I'm not going into build sheet stuff, or what he did to it. As per his request, but this rig will shoot or best any rig at any price period. Second clip after putting on the scope, 5 rounds 50 yards CCI standard .350-.222=.128 shot off bipod with my sweatpants as a rear rest. Of coarse, I will be doing an indepth indoor 50 yard ammo/gun test. But for now I can't say how happy I am, and excited to see just how accurate this rig really is. Thanks again

Last edited:
5 rounds 50 yards CCI standard .350-.222=.128 shot off bipod with my sweatpants as a rear rest.

You should shoot without pants on more often. :p Great shooting.

PS. I have a 25N micro-groove. Good gun, but not like your new CZ... wow.

Bubb, that's some serious looking performance particularly from a sporter. It would be great if you would shoot a 6x5 target and post on the "Snipershide Rimfire 6 groups of five (30rds) challenge thread" in this forum. I can understand not giving away any secrets but a general description of the modifications would help us understand what makes this 452 such a shooter.

Last edited:
Quarter Horse your absolutely right that the 6X5 would be great test of this rifle. Id like to do a ammo test first to see what it and I'm capable of??? Truth be told that is the second best group I ever shot? I shot a 3 shot group in the zero's before at 35 yards with a super high end pellet gun.. LOL But I do understand what Im saying about this gun. It was built with the best parts and second to non machining. When dealing with rimfire its a little different then center fire. What ever I read and asked about, the answer was more in depth than the question but always right. Id liken him to the guy in Beverly Hill that builds the Lima's. And I just think this one is maybe special in you could make five of them but this one just came out right? But Ill do my best to test it and do a true test of its capability and mine. Id even like to see if I could hook up with Top Preditor who is a .22 nut just to add truth to what im saying and maybe see if we can come up with better test?? But first ammo, its only fair to find what it likes get a boat load of it then shoot the $hit out of this thing. So, I promise a good right up on my findings.

Wow, the best shooting rimfires I have ever witnessed were Anchutz and Rem 40x 's. That is a good looking rig---cant believe you didnt stick it In a Manners!

I have an old Anschutz 141 that's dead on. It's one of the Savage Imports from the late sixties. Anyone ever had the MAS 45 Trainer ? another nice rimfire

Just wait till you find what diet that CZ likes and learn how she likes to be held you can shrink that group.
You got something right there.

Bubb, I'm looking forward to your report. The 6x5 thread would indicate that the most common ammo for the high performing guns is Center-X. That is no guarantee that your gun will like it but it is definitely one to try and if you shop around it is usually available. It sounds like your smith/machinist has done his homework. When a rifle from a world class manufacturer performs well it's not nearly as interesting as when a rifle from an unknown builder comes out of left field. It's just like good performance from experienced shooters is not surprising but getting slapped around by JBell's seven and eight year old daughters is a bit of surprise. It's the those surprises that make this interesting.

You've got my interest and I'm looking forward to your report.

"As you know CZ are slip fit barrel. "

I do belive the CZ 452/453 barrels are threaded from the factory!

Quarter horse you got it! That's what we are dealing with here. I have a fare bit of .22 ammo and (some) good stuff. I plan on indoor test with good stuff or out door in good conditions. I pulled most of my questions for the builder out of Bill Calfee's book "the art of rimfire Accuracy". His knowledge of metal is what really got me. I was a steelworker in the Seabees so I got a caveman knowledge of it also. But his background is pretty impressive, and the fact he wants to stay nameless!! I've edited my posts per his request on some stuff... Which is fine by me. I just can't believe I was lucky enough to get him to do this, as he only does it for close friends and his boys. You should see the pics of the rigs he built his boys.... Crazy awesome. Anyway I'll do my best to do a good test on this rig and get the results to you guys.

Top stuff mate, and yes I think the CZ rifles are some of the best out there as well.

I don't own one myself (yet!) but my brother is a professional game harvester /pest shooter and has a very nice 452 rig topped with a Leupold VX-1. He glassbeds the action and floats the barrel, that's about it from stock as far as I know. The groups he gets are an inch at 100yd shooting pretty much anything and drop to under a half inch when he feeds it its preferred diet of Winchester Powerpoints or CCI Velocitors. The rifle doesn't get target ammo for the simple reason that it is used on game and hollowpoints work a lot better for humane dispatching.

All the best with your CZ!

- boingk

Yep, Calfee is one of the best. However the CZ is a great platform for what we do here, just maybe not the best for a bench rest rifle at the highest level of competition.

Impressive CZ!

I like the 64-action Anschutz but, will now only buy the 54 or 20XX Anschutz. They're just nicer than a 64 and the top end Anschutz triggers are stuff of legend.

Most accurate?

ELEY found the "Feinwerkbau 2700" to be the most accurate factory 22-rimfire rifle. It's a single shot 22 that goes for about $4000.
http://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/mod...e&id=424&width=650&height=220&withMagnifier=1
ELEY Test Range .22 ammunition Tenex - ELEY

The top Anschutz shooters usually replace their factory barrels with a custom.

Nerd

Last edited:
Soon as deer season is over I'll be getting my leupold loner scope back. 6.5x20x50 LR. I'm bitting at the bit to test this thing! First indoor range test should shine some light on what she can do... The 6x5 test will be done proper at 50 yards.

Question who do you guys buy your match ammo threw? I got a few weeks so now would be the time to round up some good stuff to test.

Nice shooting rifle! I have a 452 and love it. When Calfee talks about 22's listen. If you want to see the most accurate 22's go to a Registered IR50/50 match. It was an humbling experience for me.

I've been looking to pick up an Anschutz, local shop has a 64 on consignment, just haven't gotten them to come down enough yet on the price. Not working too hard on it since my Savage .17 shot a 5 shot group that was less that .260 tall and .210 wide at fifty yards in the first 30 rounds through it.

Question who do you guys buy your match ammo threw? I got a few weeks so now would be the time to round up some good stuff to test.

Where ever I can find it in stock... Not always so easy to do these days.

I've never shot "match" ammo but just bought 4 bricks of RWS from Sportmans guide for $6.30/box. I'll see how it shoots although I've had good luck with most anything thru the Savages. I just came in from shooting 1/2 box of Remington.