• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Witt Machine Integral must be sorcery?

propeine

Wannabe Gun Plumber
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2012
Erie, Pa
The subsonic round are quieter than most 22lr tests out of bolt guns, The supers are quieter than anything I've seen. I get that it has a large volume but something seems amiss. Were the meters calibrated before and after? I know TBac knows their stuff so I'm hesitant to question much on protocol but thats 6-8 dB less than 22lr with the quietest screw on cans and subs.

https://www.snipershide.com/integrally-suppressed-ruger-precision/

Both meters were calibrated, the TBAC was just certified and the Larson had the calibration unit too.

It's volume ... it's a lot of can, and that volume quiets things down. The trade off is a lot of can, and uncovered you get a lot of mirage if you shoot too fast.

It's not voodoo... it's volume.

SH_HD_Testing-1-1348x900.jpg
SH_HD_substestinglxt-1-1348x900.jpg

I purposely asked them to bring RayDog in to help, as I know TBAC knows their stuff and I had used their Meter with them before. The numbers are solid, and were consistent

The difference between an Ultra 7 and the Witt was about 12db when you consider it's 3x more volume with a Witt it makes perfect sense.
Screenshot-2017-08-30-08.31.46.png

Both meters were calibrated, the TBAC was just certified and the Larson had the calibration unit too.

It's volume ... it's a lot of can, and that volume quiets things down. The trade off is a lot of can, and uncovered you get a lot of mirage if you shoot too fast.

It's not voodoo... it's volume.

I purposely asked them to bring RayDog in to help, as I know TBAC knows their stuff and I had used their Meter with them before. The numbers are solid, and were consistent

The difference between an Ultra 7 and the Witt was about 12db when you consider it's 3x more volume with a Witt it makes perfect sense.

Thanks Frank both for the article and your response! I was hoping you or Ray would chime in directly. Like we both said, TBac knows their stuff so I didn't want to outright call foul. How bad was the weight? That can be another big downfall for integrals just due to the sheer size.

Regardless that's exceedingly impressive for Witt Machine to come out of the gate swinging with!

With the models we shot, it adds something like 20.5 oz to the overall weight of the RPR ...

It's titanium, the sleeve and the monocore is not very big, so under 75% of the can is air and the barrel.

Once the truck gun versions come out, you'll see it reduce the length, size and weight.

I think it's safe to call foul, but this isn't rare. Stick to third party testing if you want comparable, mil-spec data.

A fired shot being significantly quieter than dry fire is uh... interesting. The can must reflex over the cocking piece.

We had a 3rd party there... TBAC has nothing to do with the project, they came out and used their system and set up.

They do this for themselves, and with two meters on the line, hard to say something is amiss, The numbers are consistent and not all over the place.

This project is put together by Witt Machine and Machine Gun Tours, both Me and TBAC have no vested interest in the project at all. Just that both these guys are local.

We learned a couple things. The QRP meter as tested is no good for gunshots and the integrally suppressed RPR is pretty quiet. We can get together again and do some more testing.

They do this for themselves, and with two meters on the line, hard to say something is amiss, The numbers are consistent and not all over the place.

Just a small point to make here (I'm not commenting on the validity of the data in this case; I wasn't there) - it's completely possible, and even very likely, for data like this to be consistent but wrong. Poorly calibrated equipment for example will usually give consistent but wrong data. Again, not saying that's what happened here, but consistent numbers are not an indication that they're correct.

We learned a couple things. The QRP meter as tested is no good for gunshots and the integrally suppressed RPR is pretty quiet. We can get together again and do some more testing.

Could you clarify what that means for the data above? Are those numbers bad, or was a different meter used besides the QRP?

I admit to being skeptical as well about some of those numbers, especially the stuff around 100 dB since dry firing is often louder than that.

There is some serious tedium and expense in metering cans. For instance, the duration required for the meter to read. Shorter than mil-spec, your numbers will tell you the can is louder than milspec would. Longer than mil-spec will tell you the can is quieter than mil-spec would. There's also the mic specs.

No anger towards TBAC or Witt from me. Just saying to trust 3rd party testing if you want repeatable, comparable results. Mil-spec testing getting 100db out of any gun would blow my mind. 22 shorts, even.

The common thread here is, the meters were not calibrated, ... that is story line with the guys not recognizing the volume of these cans

The Suppressor is 28" long...

The deciding factor we noticed more so than what the Meter picked up what, was the ammo..

When the subs were good, you can hear it, when one was loud you can hear that too, the ammo was a huge factor.

The numbers are the numbers, just because they meter different than your typical 8" can should be a given, this is 3x more volume on display

Two meters were used together

21082791_10155642438937953_3306152323436999828_o.jpg?oh=aa4116e46be43011014c68fc6199ddb3&oe=5A...jpg
Two meters to compare the numbers, each meter was recorded and we saw some variations between the two,

I legitimately wonder if some of the firing pin drop which has been measured up around 110-115dB on an empty chamber was deadened by the airspace due to the integral and not allowed to propagate like a tuning fork through the barrel. Its unfortunate that you weren't able to fire unsuppressed for obvious reasons to get the NSR. Like I said before I appreciate everyone involved doing the legwork. Those meters aren't cheap and having 2 separate companies there to avoid any claims of "foul" is even better.

It's funny the competition is up and arms,

They are taking that one image and insist Ken read the wrong line, but we we point out the video focused on Ray and the B&K 2209, they now claim the meter was set up wrong, run incorrectly etc,

Witt's competition is not happy, and is going full on damage control because if they acknowledge these numbers they have to change their website and marketing strategy as they claim to be the quietest and most accurate integral can, but it appears that might have to change.

To be clear, you're saying the silencer significantly quieted the action of the rifle? You believe this integrally suppressed rifle firing live ammunition is a shitton quieter than dry firing a normal RPR?

I don't have a dry fire number from the same position in front of the muzzle,

There is a difference between sticking a meter at the receiver vs at the muzzle

It's not this is "quieter' it' the measurements are from a different location, guys are doing the snap check at the ejection port

Not that I have the knowledge and practical experience of some here but I talked some years back with Mark White of Sound Tech. He made a comment about dry fire being louder than a primer impact as far as metallic action noise due to the primer absorbing the energy of the firing pin whereas the dry fire was all steel on steel contact. I've seen, rather heard, this with .22 rimfire casings and once fired centerfire cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk