• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

WOA barrel outperforms sierra data

local4fitter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2013
I recently installed a White Oak Armament 16" SS .223 Wylde 1-7" midlength Match barrel on my coyote rifle. I worked up a load using Lake city brass, 69 gr. SMK's, Varget, CCI primers. Using Sierra manual I started at 24 grs. Varget and ended at 25.3 grs. At 25.3 I had an average velocity of 2746 fps for 5 shots. The manual says 2750 fps. Here is where I'm a bit confused. The manual used a 20" colt H-Bar 1-7". That's 4 inches more barrel with basically the same velocity. I really didn't expect my 16" to match the performance of a 20". I was pleasantly surprised. Any thoughts? Thanks Doug

Absolutely, and there's a ton of other factors at play between their data and yours. Weather data, altitude, chrono type and accuracy, etc.

I feel the Sierra manual is a bit conservative.

I realize every barrel is unique and will give different velocities with the same load. I didn't think I would be so close to published data while giving up 4 inches.

Happens a lot. I've beaten published data by well over 100fps with my 6x45, but it's a 3 groove polygon rifled barrel. My 20" 260 is running 2718fps (confirmed at 600) with 140's and 43gr of H4350. Hodgdon lists a MAX of 44.5gr for 2735 with 142's from a 24" barrel.

It's possible that the next barrel made after yours is 50fps slower than yours is.

Published data is rarely on par with observed data. Often understated velocities