• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wolf Small Rifle Primers

gabstersmoma

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2008
South Carolina, USA
Hey Guys,
I purchased a case of 5000 Wolf SRP to load in my 6.5x47L cases and got pierced primers(on well under max loads) and failures to ignite. I took this problem to my gunsmith and it was definitely a bad batch of primers. They seem to be very brittle. We loaded a case with cotton balls a fresh primer and it pierced(I didn't think that was possible). Has anyone else had problems with WSR primers? I know a lot of you use them. Wolf says they have a 100% guarantee....I hope that proves to be true.

Re: Wolf Small Rifle Primers

Out of curiosity, did you have the firing pin hole bushed for the small rifle primers?

I use wolf magnum primers in my 6.5x47, and have had nothing but good experiences.

I just started using Wolf standard small primers in warmish AR loads. About 200 fired and not a problem so far.

I have to ask on your failures to ignite - the Wolf primers are a more snug fit than the usual brands. Are you seating them hard with a good crush? They are taking more pressure with the hand tool to seat them.

Also, pay attention to what Josh has to say - he's racking up good experience with the round.

Have you tried other brands of primers with the same tests? What was the experience with those?

Have 1500+ through my 6.5x47 built bt GAP-7000 action-.060FP-,062 FP hole-NO problems at all-Do not have any either with my 6BR with 29.8 Varget-Wolf std primers are fine-used them in 3 rifles now for six+years.Would look at specs on rifle-something is not right. barry

LRLars, are you by chance using the SR instead of SR Magnum primers?

For things like 6.5x47, 6BR, etc., you should use the SR Magnum which has a thicker cup, even though it's the same charge as the SR.

My Badger blanked primers, had misfires, etc.

Had to send it to GreTan to have the pin and fp hole bushed.

Yes, I'm using the small rifle not magnum primers. From what I've read both should work.
JasonK- How much did the bushing of the FPin cost? I may have to have it done, but other primers work fine.

Wolf LG & SM Mag rifle primer have a thicker cups then the non mag rifle primers. The Wolf large & small rifle primers cups are very soft cups, so you might be having the firing pin piercing the cup & the anvil, thus not causing ignition.

this has been stated over and over. you have to use the magnum version to be ASSURED of not piercing issues. the standard small rifle are too soft.

chuck

I have just started using them in .223 with no issues.

Capt,

The only thing I would be cautious of Wolf Standard Lg Rifle Primer in an AR, are slam fires. M1A/M-14NMs in their hay day would be a shooter worst nightmare. Floating firing pins are a great thing for combat, but suck when your trying to squeeze ever bit out of a battle rifle/match rifle to make it perform to the competition

Ok fellas, calm down. I'm new to this caliber so there's a bit of a learning curve.

Chuck and McCarthy- thanks for the info on the primers. I'll give the magnums a shot.

I think I will also send the bolt to GreTan to bush the firing pin hole. It's only $64 including shipping and it can't hurt.

Thanks to all for the help and Have a Merry Christmas!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCarthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wolf LG & SM Mag rifle primer have a thicker cups then the non mag rifle primers. The Wolf large & small rifle primers cups are very soft cups, so you might be having the firing pin piercing the cup & the anvil, thus not causing ignition. </div></div>

I would love to see that, given that the priming material sits BETWEEN the cup and the anvil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCarthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Capt,

The only thing I would be cautious of Wolf Standard Lg Rifle Primer in an AR, are slam fires. M1A/M-14NMs in their hay day would be a shooter worst nightmare. Floating firing pins are a great thing for combat, but suck when your trying to squeeze ever bit out of a battle rifle/match rifle to make it perform to the competition </div></div>

Don't know if there is much difference between the LR and SRs, but I'm running a "warm" load for 600. No slamfires, or pierced primers to date.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCarthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Capt,

The only thing I would be cautious of Wolf Standard Lg Rifle Primer in an AR, are slam fires. M1A/M-14NMs in their hay day would be a shooter worst nightmare. Floating firing pins are a great thing for combat, but suck when your trying to squeeze ever bit out of a battle rifle/match rifle to make it perform to the competition </div></div>

are you saying that wolf is a soft cup like G210M's?

Don't know about G210M,S primers, I don,t use them. But I know other competitors have use Wolf Standard primers and complain of not getting ignition from the Wolf Standards. For the last two years or so... Their"s been treads on others sites on this subject. I'm not saying that that you should toss these primers in the trash, by no means. Some rifles will perform well with them, but it has been the consensus that the majority of shooters would rather have one primer that will work well in semi"s and bolt rifles without any problems. I shoot both semi"s and bolts. I can say this... Haven't ever had a misfire with the Wolf Mag rifle primers in any of my rifles with very go luck on the SD's.

I have been using the Wolf small rifle magnum primers in my service rifle with absolutely no problems. As a matter of fact I have stopped using the BR4 primer at 600, having done a test firing with the same load and the Wolf primer being the only change there was no noticable difference in sight adjustment, first shot out with my same sight adjustment was an X. The magnum primers are the ones that I would reccomend to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCarthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know about G210M,S primers, I don,t use them. But I know other competitors have use Wolf Standard primers and complain of not getting ignition from the Wolf Standards. For the last two years or so... Their"s been treads on others sites on this subject. I'm not saying that that you should toss these primers in the trash, by no means. Some rifles will perform well with them, but it has been the consensus that the majority of shooters would rather have one primer that will work well in semi"s and bolt rifles without any problems. I shoot both semi"s and bolts. I can say this... Haven't ever had a misfire with the Wolf Mag rifle primers in any of my rifles with very go luck on the SD's.

</div></div>

I'll keep it in mind but I'm using the SR Magnums like above with no issues so far. Thanks.

Again, thanks to all for the insight. Wolf got in-touch with me very promptly, they're sending me UPS return shipping labels, and a refund to follow. Very pleasant to work with and eager to correct the problem, which seems to be more my fault in ordering the wrong primers than their product. Great customer service, in my opinion. I now have some Wolf Magnum SR primers to try.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRLars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Guys,
I purchased a case of 5000 Wolf SRP to load in my 6.5x47L cases and got pierced primers(on well under max loads) and failures to ignite. I took this problem to my gunsmith and it was definitely a bad batch of primers. They seem to be very brittle. We loaded a case with cotton balls a fresh primer and it pierced(I didn't think that was possible). Has anyone else had problems with WSR primers? I know a lot of you use them. Wolf says they have a 100% guarantee....I hope that proves to be true. </div></div>

I bought a case of the Wolf 223 primers to try because they are supposed to have a thicker cup and a little more blast.I tried them first in my 6x47L and had the same exact issues you had.Then I tried them in my 223 and have not had any problems.!?

Steve

I had the same problem with a 6x47 Lapua, it's a necked down 6.5.
thought it might be the case so I tried them in my 223. Same thing happened. The primers came from Widners. I've shit canned the whole bunch of primers as a bad batch. Did you get your primers from Widners? Donald

I purchased mine from Powder Valley Inc. and they told me to contact Wolf directly. Wolf has been very helpfull and I received my return lables today. I'll get them shipped out Monday and wait for my refund. Wolf's customer service has been top notch so far and they didn't give one ounce of hassle.

That's good to know that Wolf will take care of me.I don't know why they work fine with 223 and not with 6x47L but at least I know I can send them back to Wolf if needed.

Steve

I personally don't use regular small rifle primers at all. I only own a .223 AR that uses small rifle and so I use magnum primers to avoid slamfires and because I usually use spherical powders with it, which necessitates magnum primers anyway.