• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Woo! Almost done with my 1st precision rifle!

DamnDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
California
Just finished putting everything together last night with the help of some friends. My experience is limited to tactical style rifles, but wanted to get into precision shooting.

I have some FGMM 168gr, what kind of groups do you predict this rifle is capable of?

Also any pointers will help thanks.

Parts used:

Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308
Bell and Carlson A2 Stock
Timney Trigger
EGW 20MOA Base
TPS Rings
Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X40mm (Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm FFP on the way!)

4884869748_4fe7beccaa_b.jpg

Re: Woo! Almost done with my 1st precision rifle!

That set up should be able to give you 1" groups at a hundred easily. I cant remember the twist on those barrels but my Rem 700 likes the 175 gr FGMM.
Now go out and shoot it, and let us know how it does.

I would guess that 1 MOA is attainable with that rifle.

With remington its a crap shoot they guarantee 1moa but with that stock and match grade ammo it could shoot .5 moa of course that's providing you do your part

I suggest you skim bed the stock. My B&C tac medallist sits slightly cock-eyed (barrel rub), so I sent it to get skim bedded, and hopefully it will shoot much better when i get it back

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I have some FGMM 168gr, what kind of groups do you predict this rifle is capable of?...</div></div>

I have one in an AICS with a Jewell HVR, same base, Seekins rings, Nightforce NXS 8-32x56...

I'm getting sub .5 MOA groups pretty consistently with a best of .35 on two occasions (all 5 shot groups).

Best groups were with:
43gr RE-15
BR-2
175gr SMK
COAL: 2.80
Ogive 3.233

Today I shot a .37 MOA group with everything above, except using 45gr Varget instead of RE-15.

Had a stock sps varmint that shot around 3/4 moa at 100.
Certainly not a bad setup for a first tactical rifle.

Thanks for the info and comments. I can't wait to go shoot this