• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Woodchuck / Groundhog hunting in NY?

sierra6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2005
Blue Mtn NY
I'm looking for a place in NY, or Eastern PA where there may be a huntable population of Woodchucks. I'm smack in the middle of the Catskill Mtns and around here they do exist but are few and far in between. Hunting them is virtually a waste of time.

I'm not afraid of driving a few hours and making a day or two of it. I'd love to spend some time sending a few rounds down range at "whistle pigs"!

Lets hear some suggestions.

Thanks, s6

Re: Woodchuck / Groundhog hunting in NY?

Look for farms with short stretches of brush and light woods between the fields. Contrary to popular belief, g'hogs don't like wide open pasture like p'dogs do. They like to be within 50y of the woods and cover.

Yes I know. Thats exactly the type of habitat that has disappeared in these parts over the last 30 years. I remember when there were still farms in this area woodchucks were all over. I used to spend my summers on my Grandfathers farm working cattle and bailing hay all the while shooting woodchucks with my Rem 788 in 22-250. All the fields are grown up now or developed into housing and the targets are gone!

s6

Come on up! I have plenty of farms to hunt on in tioga county near Candor NY. Its about 1 hour past Binghamton. The main field I hunt in is about 400 meters wide and 1600 meters long. I sit right in the middle on a knoll and shoot up to 800 meters. Only thing now is that turkey season starts Sat. and the farm boys like to hunt them. Can't disturb the turkeys till the season is over.

I would love to get in on that. I would like to work out my brandy new 700 PSS. worked up some 600 yd loads that I tried out on a range but need sometnig furry to work on. We have chucks on Long Island but can only use bow and shotgun. I'm going to Cobleskill for Turkey b ut after that Woodchucks would be outstanding. BTW. Open invite to a Marine Corps League set of matches; one in June(12-13) and the second is 15-16 August near Albany. Anyone interested it is a low cost shoot and a great bunch of guys.

For me, in central NY it's probably more labor & time intensive to shoot a woodchuck than it is a whitetail. Not to mention the fact that whistlepig is high on the menu of NY's blossoming coyote population...
Still, I'm usually able to put a couple down over a weekend of effort. Bohem nailed the terrain you need to be focusing on...

As for suggesting <span style="font-style: italic">where</span>? Drive west out of the Catskills til ya see cows, then stop & ask the farmer. Repeat as necesary. Sorry to not be more help, but I've found 'chucks just aren't around in quantity enough to warrant a roadtrip specifically to chase them...

Tuscondave,

Small world! I'm no more than 15 minutes from Hunter Mtn. I do a lot of Turkey hunting in that area and when I was in High School used to travel a little farther on Rt 23A into Lexington with a buddy who's family had a farm there. We used to shoot woodchucks there and they were reasonably plentiful. Problem is....like almost all the farms in this area they are no longer productive. People stopped farming and the habitat has disappeared.

I'ts something I miss from my youth and reading about it here and seeing pictures has me longing for those days. I may take up on of the other members here and make a roadtrip for some "hog huntin".

s6

I've noticed a sharp decrease in local 'Chucks here in the Southern Tier of NY. The consensus seems to be that the coyote population is on the rise and their increased numbers are decimating the marmots.

'S OK, though. Pretty soon them feral hogs will be here and we'll have something else to take the 'Chuckies' place. I'm stocking up on El Cheapo Grande MagTech .44Mag 240gr loads for my '94AE with the dot scope. The Rem UMC 180/240gr FNSP stuff works good enough, too.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sierra6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tuscondave,

Small world! I'm no more than 15 minutes from Hunter Mtn. I do a lot of Turkey hunting in that area and when I was in High School used to travel a little farther on Rt 23A into Lexington with a buddy who's family had a farm there. We used to shoot woodchucks there and they were reasonably plentiful. Problem is....like almost all the farms in this area they are no longer productive. People stopped farming and the habitat has disappeared.

I'ts something I miss from my youth and reading about it here and seeing pictures has me longing for those days. I may take up on of the other members here and make a roadtrip for some "hog huntin".

s6 </div></div>

My folks still have a place in Denver NY,up Rt. 28 near Roxbury. When I was a kid we use to ski at Noname Mountain. I was up there with my kids this summer,showing them how it use to be.

Your were probably skiing at Plattekill Mtn, Scotch Valley, or Roxbury Run. The latter has been out of business for 40+ years. I spent more than my fair share of time on the slopes as well. I had season passes to Hunter for many years as a kid until graduating High School.

Good Times! s6

I live in the flatlands,but have land near cobleskill.I used to hunt chucks all the time,but now alot of city folk have bought property up there and don't like to have them hunted because they're cute.That feeling goes away as soon as they eat their plants and flowers to the ground.Still,most of the farms are being sold to real estate developers.Alot of the farmers kids just don't want to make a living working 24/7 and the lure of easy money,compared to work is a no brainer.You'd have better luck with first trying to get access to farms that grow produce,instead of animals.Most cattle or Dairy farmers are wary of having someone they don't know shooting around their animals.
It won't hurt to ask.The worst they can tell you is no.Good Luck,
STEVE

Yup...it does ring a bell. I hunt spring turkeys every year right in Margaretville, New Kingston, Roxbury, Delhi and that whole area. I've eaten more than my share of meals at the Bun and Cone!

In fact I'll be leaving for a buddies camp in Delhi on Thursday for some spring action!

Small World!

s6

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sierra6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup...it does ring a bell. I hunt spring turkeys every year right in Margaretville, New Kingston, Roxbury, Delhi and that whole area. I've eaten more than my share of meals at the Bun and Cone!

In fact I'll be leaving for a buddies camp in Delhi on Thursday for some spring action!

Small World!

s6 </div></div>

X2

Hello,

I am at West Point. We have plenty of g'hogs but few are shootable. They have well kept home safe from all but lawnmowers.

Please let me know when and where ya'll are heading out for a shoot. I need a place to shoot! The ranges in our training areas allow private weapons only about two weekends a year - just prior to rifle game game season.

Thanks,
Matt

"I've eaten more than my share of meals at the Bun and Cone!"
Wow I ate there for the first time last April. Its a small world. My wifes Grandparents have a farm about 5mi from there. Ill be up that way next month and looking for a place to burn some ammo.......