• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Woodchuck Hunting

Re: Woodchuck Hunting

Woodchuck hunting is the most enjoyable hunting for me. You get to go out when the weather is nice, walk around and enjoy being outside. But the are not that easy to hunt. Where i go if they see you, and the do have great eye sight, they are gone. Sometimes you can wait them out and they will come back out of their holes, other times they don't. One of the farms that I hunt on had a worker break the front wheel off of the tractor when it fell into a woodchuck hole. Then when another helper came over to fix it he fell into a hole and sprained his ankle pretty bad. The do do a lot of damage to the land. I respect them for what they are. I love to hunt them. No I don't eat them. I just put them back into their holes and coyotes or fox will come and get them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 713</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you eat the hogs after shooting them? If you do then don't bother to read here any further. My hunting ethics fall somewhere between Tecumseh and Ted Nugent. If you kill it you must grill it. If you are shooting them just for reactionary targets then thats just plain gay, what kind of thrill of the hunt can a groundhog possibly give, they are fat and slow and do not run off when approached.Kind of the equivalent of trying to fuck really, really fat women in the bar, some cats do it but its just wrong. I pull my bike into my yard that has a 113 inch S&S motor with no mufflers and they don't even flinch. I don't want to hear the excuse you shoot them to protect cattle thats just bullshit. If you shoot them for the red mist they produce its time to join our armed forces and varmint hunt something interesting. </div></div>

You are an idiot. Groundhogs will destroy large portions of soybean/hay fields. The holes break up equipment and horses.

I bet you would get pretty mad if I told you what I think about deer.

-dan

Deersniper ,
If I see you at a match ground your gear cause its on motherfucker. Thats all I have to say about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 713</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Deersniper ,
If I see you at a match ground your gear cause its on motherfucker. Thats all I have to say about that. </div></div>

Ok Dan,
You wouldnt be attending the Snipers hide cup by any chance would you. Plenty of woodsheds to chat behind there.

lol, damn some people get up in arms about some crap that I never dreamed of. I damn sure wouldn't fight someone over saying that they like to make ground hogs explode. Oh well, whatever.

ITS A GROUND HOG!!! holy shit some people on this site are such pussies. Have a family of them in ur back yard and watch them tear it all up, see how much u enjoy them when they a destroying ur property.

Its always easy to have an option when it doesn't directly affect u.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 713</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you eat the hogs after shooting them? If you do then don't bother to read here any further. My hunting ethics fall somewhere between Tecumseh and Ted Nugent. If you kill it you must grill it. If you are shooting them just for reactionary targets then thats just plain gay, what kind of thrill of the hunt can a groundhog possibly give, they are fat and slow and do not run off when approached.Kind of the equivalent of trying to fuck really, really fat women in the bar, some cats do it but its just wrong. I pull my bike into my yard that has a 113 inch S&S motor with no mufflers and they don't even flinch. I don't want to hear the excuse you shoot them to protect cattle thats just bullshit. If you shoot them for the red mist they produce its time to join our armed forces and varmint hunt something interesting. </div></div>

I can count how many times I had to stop the hay bine because a tire diped into a woodchuck hole, and the blades sheared off. Its expensive as hell, when you consider parts, time to change parts, and the fact that your not cutting hay anymore.

I like the red mist of wood chucks, I rather enjoy seeing the devestating effects of a blitzking at crazy ranges, and after torturing birds and roasting ants with a magnifying glass, its a nice way to relax.

Its not at all about shooting chucks its about being disrespected. If you disrespect me we throw down its that easy. If you dont like it then watch what you say to people.

WOW this got off topic in half a heart beat

i consider it disrespectful if someone wears shoes in my house but i have never "thrown down" over it... its the internet and is the hide... soft skin is not welcome here

Crows and chucks !!! Were starting to see movement already here in Mi.
dsc04702lb0.jpg

dsc04713dh2.jpg

dsc05101ze0.jpg

well two days ago i saw one running to its hole when i car drove by so keep your eyes open... there out and about

Bagged some today with the old 7x57, 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip Seconds over 48.3 grains of H4350 and a Fed 210M. In close off hand shooting, made for some fun..

DSC03373.jpg

DSC03420.jpg

DSC03384.jpg

DSC03390.jpg

DSC03408.jpg

Good to see the thread back on track it was me who derailed it Sorry about that. Even better to see the disrespectful shit Pieper'd down.

713, glad to see you guys worked that out (grin)!!!! Any more bear behind the house this year?

Just got my White Oak varmint upper in a couple days ago that my girl friend ordered me for Christmas. I took it out to a field where I hunt woodchucks this morning and only seen one. I also seen 7 deer but didn't get any pics of them.

lzh9c.jpg

What caliber WOA upper did you go with? That's a healthy pig you got there.

edit:I'm getting the itch, my SPS is out getting duracoated and a bolt knob and I want to be getting it out and getting ready for the pigs.

Heres a ground hog I shot last year. I've only seen one so far this year, we gassed most of them last year. Shot with a M700 LTR in .308.

2m7gqkn.jpg

29f57ch.jpg

I don't if I like the shot placement, the chucks, or that rig the best. Nice job. What bullet were you using?

I was using a 80 g Berger FB bullet. Those chucks sure are tuff, the smaller one in the pic was standing up when I shot it and I hit it just barely under the head and the bullet came out it's back making a hole as big as a quarter. Then the thing crawled back in it's hole and I had to reach back in the hole as far as I could reach to pull it out.

I hammer a lot with the 155 Lapuas that get back in the hole and die. Most of the time they only go a foot or two.

This is the fourth one so far this year. He fell victim to a 175 VLD.

IMG00065.jpg

+1 for whistle pig hunting.

Farthest ive been able to shoot at one so far is 400 yds with .234 VLS. Also regulary hunt them with a 223, 308 and 22LR

scan0017-1.jpg

We call them "Rock Chucks" here in Montana. Are they the same as what you guys have back east?

Took this pic a few years back while bear hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pgs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We call them "Rock Chucks" here in Montana. Are they the same as what you guys have back east?
</div></div>

Yes.....They are the same (I think?).....

DSC_1156.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pgs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Yes.....They are the same (I think?).....

DSC_1156.jpg
</div></div>

Naw Brad, ours get bigger back here. Same as the coyotes...
wink.gif

You kills any piggies yet with the new AI???

We call them "Rock Chucks" here in Washington too..

rock chuck vs. 175smk @ 225yards.
04190909581.jpg

GaP rifles.
0419090956.jpg

I got a big fat one last week. With my quad cab.
Totally unintended, I was accelerating up an onramp in Mississippi, and he had crossed over into the slow lane of traffic. He hunkered down, on the line and would have been fine, if he had just stayed there. I had cars in front of me and beside me, so I couldn't swerve, and I had no intention of swerving anyway, since I was pulling a large trailer at the time. So it was just "Sit tight little buddy...oops, nope." He darted (waddled) my way, and that's all it took. I hit him with all tires on that side. Too bad. The wife said (bump, bump bumpbump) "Was that him?"
"Yeah, 'fraid so."
"Shoulda sat tight."
"Yup."
Pulling out the little note book she keeps in the door on her side:
"Does that count?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He darted (waddled) my way, and that's all it took. I hit him with all tires on that side. Too bad. The wife said (bump, bump bumpbump) "Was that him?"
"Yeah, 'fraid so."
"Shoulda sat tight."
"Yup."
Pulling out the little note book she keeps in the door on her side:
"Does that count?" </div></div>
LMAO... sounds like a scene in The Great Santini, but I think he liked smashing turtles.

for 713 you like ted nugent well one of his sayings is its still legal and fun so go f y self

Here is one my brother killed yesterday evening. This is the first of the year, we normally wait until july to start killing them and its not rare to kill 20-50 in a weekend but this dummy was out there for an hour teasing us, and his new AI was handy. Don't they say the 168SMK isn't good for game?

groundhogs002.jpg

We used to have an annual weekend-long Woodchuck Dispatch event up here.

There was this one guy who would show up at the Sunday weigh-in each year with his pickup truck bed filled with dead Woodchucks, and the truck riding on its rear axle. He had over a dozen fields staked out and would go hunting with a rifle, shotgun and .22 pistol. Perennial winner, hands down. Most of us folks figured he had his Dad helping him, but nobody could catch him at it.

Folks would check the eyeballs, to see if the 'Chucks had been frozen and thawed out...

Chuckroast, anyone...?

Greg

Just got one at 470 yards with my friends .223, he did some 360's and tumbled back in his hole, We found some guts so we know I center punched him. Best feeling for a new longest kill.