• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

World Record Extreme Long Range Shot 4.4 Miles

Ultimately, standards are arbitrary. If you choose to say that you were the first to hit a target 5 miles away (or 6 or 10 or whatever), if nobody has ever done that, then you can write the rules, such as target size, number of shots to hit the target, etc. But if nobody has ever hit a target at a specific distance and you are the first to do it, then you do then have the lowest common denominator "record". We can set more stringent standards, such as requiring a 1 MOA target or getting a hit in 5 or fewer shots or getting 3 in a row, etc., but it's still arbitrary.

One of these days, someone will wash out a barrel trying to get that first hit. That is an even lower standard. Well, I have friends in low places, so let's go shootin'.

record and distance aside , i dont understand the 20 months and 1500 hours of research

unless thats from original PO date for the barrel or action that took a 19 of the 20 months etc

its a regular ELR build; all off the shelf items
action
chassis
trigger
cartridge
scope

can buy them all online and have them delivered with in a week

taking the "best" available components and designed a new bullet that runs in about 15-18 seconds on a swiss screw machine does not take 1500 hours. 1500HRS is 37 40 hour weeks

from all the parts being delivered and on the floor to a finished painted rifle is about 7-10 days max

not poo-pooing them as they are the ones shooting it, not me

so they should get credit as its on film as well

but the "difficulty" as it was explained is pushing it a little
I think I read somewhere I might be wrong but someone stated the reason it took so long was coordinating shooting through peoples land or someshit like that/finding a place to attempt the shot. Not sure how true that is. So mainly logistics side of thing.

Reactions: brianf
I think I read somewhere I might be wrong but someone stated the reason it took so long was coordinating shooting through peoples land or someshit like that/finding a place to attempt the shot. Not sure how true that is. So mainly logistics side of thing.

You're trying to tell me all you losers don't have your own 8 mile range?

You're trying to tell me all you losers don't have your own 8 mile range?
Plenty of people out west do with public land
91B3404C-6A4E-41F5-AA6D-22D44C994BAB.jpeg

I was wondering the same thing. say, a person breaks out the watercooled M2, link up about 1,000 rounds with a March 60x.
You land some hits... world record? or does it have to be a bolt action? ;)
For real. I'm just wondering what size pen equals a 416 barret bullet puncture, incase I need to break that record lol.