• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Wotac Wonders Optics -- NOBODY HOME!!!!

cbcanderson

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2010
North Texas
I send back a Wotac scope to Matt at Wonders Optics for repair or replacement (messed up reticle) back in August. Matt replied with the following email <span style="font-style: italic">"I know that we are close to being out of stock on the scopes. I do know that yours should be in the ones that get replaced, and your warranty comes before new sales. I will let you know when the replacement ships. It should be here with in 48 hours."</span> Since then I have followed up with emails and phone calls but no response from Matt.

Has anyone else had any luck getting in touch with Matt? Original service was great, replacement service is terrible.
mad.gif

I'm wondering if I am out of $300.

Re: Wotac Wonders Optics -- NOBODY HOME!!!!

Moral of the story: When you buy quality, you only cry once....

If anybody would know if he is out of business, would be SWFA. Chris is a dealer for Wonder Optics, and I am pretty sure he would have the scoop on the WoTac scopes.

DK

I bought a WoTac scope. While it's not a bad scope for the money... the process was odd. I placed my order and days went by without a processing number, tracking number, anything. Finally I emailed him about doing a chargeback. He said he already shipped the scope, but he would send me another one. A few more days go by with no tracking. I contact him again and then the scope ships. A week later, the scope arrived damaged. I immediately contacted him (he did answer) and said I'd have a replacement in 24 hours. Which I did. I asked what he wanted me to do with the damaged optic and he said he'd send me a shipping lable to return it to him... never came. So for one transaction he supposedly shipped 3 scopes. Just seems an odd way to do business. I didn't have much trouble contacting him, but it did take 3 tries to get a functioning scope. If it ever malfunctions, I will just use it for a reactive target and buy something else.

When I talked to Matt on the phone he seemed to be attentive and genuinely care about his customer service. There just seems to be a lot of inconsistent reports on his company.

Good luck!

I just purchased a 4-14 x 50 Wotac in a group buy on another site. Haven't received it yet, but I'm fairly confident it's coming.....Now I'm a little worried.

Sounds like the wows of a one man operation. Not excusing anything here, but it is very difficult to wear multiple hats in a business. He is likely overwhelmed.

Matt seems like a good guy, but after 6 weeks of no response after being told that the scope would ship in 48 hours is driving me crazy

I recently sent in a 12X scope to have upgraded to newest generation. It took a long time and I was starting to get a little worried, but he did this at no cost to me and I now have a brand new scope. Hang in there. He will take care of you.

I also got the "he already shipped me a scope" line, and said he would ship another. I finally got it all worked out, but it took three months for a replacement.

If I wanted a WOTAC, I'd get it from SWFA, no problems there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cbcanderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt seems like a good guy, but after 6 weeks of no response after being told that the scope would ship in 48 hours is driving me crazy </div></div>

You aren't the first person to say that around here.

I get the feeling that Matt is a good guy but also a one man show so very inconsistent...

Guys I had an issue with the 12x scope. I requested a refund and Matt did send it. It did take a long time. The refund for some reason missed me twice. So Matt sent it cert letter. Over $18 dollars to make sure I got it. Just keep contacting him. It is a small business and I but the email track is hard to keep up with.

John

Most of the stories have him saying he already sent the scope out or, by accident, sent two scopes to a different customer.

#1 Whoever is helping him with the shipping is taking advantage of him

#2 Someone in the chain isn't all there or just full of crap...

Who is it hyping up these scopes so that people keep buying them?

Well I called back again three times today, but nobody answered. Message box is full. I'll keep you all posted on how this turns out. I have another WOTAC that works great, but this experience is making me think my next scope won't be a WOTAC

Great, a group buy. I imagine I won't see my replacement scope for months now
frown.gif

It has been brutal. I have been sending follow up emails and occasional telephone calls. I received another promise saying it would ship in a week -- it didn't, and then I finally got a reply on 11/1 stating <span style="font-style: italic">" We shipped one of them out. I need your shipping address again to make sure that we have the right one. I am sure that this was a mix up somewhere, but your scope was shipped last week. If it was sent to the wrong address, we will get you another one out today."</span> I hadn't receive the scope and I immediately sent my home address and asked Matt to send me an email confirming shipment. This excuse of the <span style="font-weight: bold">"I shipped it already"</span> has been used on other customers, but they never show up.

I am now a week away from a hunting trip where I planned to use this scope on a long range rifle build for my son as a present for completing all the requirement for his Eagle Scout rank, but my guess is that I am out of luck to get it in time for the hunt. I would like to give Matt the benefit of the doubt, but he has been less than honest with me in terms of fulfilling his commitments and lost any respect I had for him and his company.

You're not getting the scope, You should see my thread post a few months back. No Scope, no matter what he says. I had to just suck it up as a learning experience and bought another scope. My deal is now over a year old.....

NEVER, EVER BUY A WOTAC!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DannySeesUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who is it hyping up these scopes so that people keep buying them?

</div></div>

People want to believe that they can get one with all the bells and whistles for cheap. Matt @ WondersOptics or whatever was a nice guy but something changed over there.

Learn from others or learn the hard way, most people go the second route...

Man, I'm glad I caught this thread, I was looking to buy one to stick on a 10/22 target rifle that just "found" in my safe (bought it years ago, stuck it in the back of the safe and forgot about it) but I'm gonna avoid WOTAC.

I'm going to give Mat a C grade. I ordered a scope from him and after 7 days, no scope. I called Matt and he gave me that bs story that it already shipped. I asked him for a tracking number and of course it was not available. He said it should be there today and if not he would overnight one to me. I went home and of course no scope. I called him today as a matter of fact and got voice mail. I insisted that he cancel the order and I will buy for someone else. He tells me he shipped it yesterday overnight and here's the tracking number. It was on my doorstep when I got home

pros

great scope in its price range

cons

one day matt will be right on to of the phone and answer it on the first ring, the next day your leaving messages not not getting return calls for a week.

surley he doesn't think folks believe the "i already shipped it line" im sure its happened that there wasa shipping error but not every time

Call USO, Leupold or Nightforce...they answer thier phones, Buy a 300$ scope and you get 300$ service! It's not brain surgery!

We would all like to believe in getting more for less but you almost always get what you paid for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to give Mat a C grade. I ordered a scope from him and after 7 days, no scope. I called Matt and he gave me that bs story that it already shipped. I asked him for a tracking number and of course it was not available. He said it should be there today and if not he would overnight one to me. I went home and of course no scope. I called him today as a matter of fact and got voice mail. I insisted that he cancel the order and I will buy for someone else. He tells me he shipped it yesterday overnight and here's the tracking number. It was on my doorstep when I got home </div></div>

Pretty much just had the same scenario....

Update: finally received the scope from Matt. If Matt had told me it would take 3 months for the replacement, I could have lived with it. But telling me every time we spoke that is would the next day, or that it had already shipped, when it hadn't nearly drove me crazy. Scope works well, FWIW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cbcanderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope works well, FWIW
</div></div>

www.ebay.com

and use the $$$ to buy something else trust me on this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SVT_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all to fimilar with Matts excusses. Try to call every day cause until then you won't get a scope.
http://opticstalk.com/wonders-optics-riflescope_topic27833.html </div></div>

Wow. That is AWFUL customer service. I can't believe someone would run a business like this in today's day and age. The Internet makes it way to easy for this information to get out. I am shocked he replaced his own WOTAC scope with a Falcon for warranty. Especially not even checking with the customer first. Amazing.

New development.

Or NON-development.

I now believe he is out of business. Just called the number on their website and it no longer has Matt's voice or any ID as Wonders Optics.

My issue is a Falcon Menace that lost its parallax adjustment. At first it was marginal, "infinity" was about 200 yards, then it crept closer and now goes BADLY out of focus if I try to focus any closer than 100 yards. So in October Matt said to send it back. I deferred, told him so, because I originally had plans to shoot a match in November and didn't want to mess with my zeros.

BTW, my device shows me calling on 12/30/11, and 12/29/11, which is when I lost patience with the unanswered e-mails starting from 12/6/11 advising him that I was about to ship that day and almost always asking "Please advise status on getting a repair or replacement on this." or some variation on that theme.

USPS says the failed scope was delivered to Wonders Optics on the afternoon of December 21 (a full week after they said it would be there).

I've sent a total of six e-mails with no response. In October he replied three days after my first inquiry.

No one home.

No reports of anyone receiving any product or replacement for a full month.

He's on my **** list now.

This is disappointing, I was strongly considering buying a WOTAC scope, now i see that that most likely wont happen...

That's too bad, I was thinking about one of his scopes (4-14x50 Gen5) for my 10/22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Odd if true as he came out with a new FFP scope.</div></div>Man, the knobs on the new FFP are frickin' HIDEOUS! Makes the whole scope look cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is disappointing, I was strongly considering buying a WOTAC scope, now i see that that most likely wont happen... </div></div>
At that price point, you might want to try a Falcon Menace, just buy it from someone else.

Not sure if I would take a chance on the nearly-identical looking BSA "tactical" scope.

Well I *did* get an e-mail back from Matt early this afternoon.

He's neither dead nor hospitalized. Says he's waiting for Falcon to get more in stock.

Still hasn't answered my other questions about swap options.

Wait some more...

Has anyone else heard anything form Matt yet? I e-mailed him 4 times since November and left a message on his phone as well and have heard nothing. My scope reticle went crooked after firing 7 rounds out of my M14 right before deer hunting season, had to use the SKS instead. I'm about to just buy another scope from a company that actually answers their phones.

i bet if you sent him an email from a different address reguarding buying a scope he would answer right away. he's probably just avoiding people with warranty work/issues.

So guess what, I finally heard back from Matt today. Along with replacing the scope I had asked him if I could pay the difference for the new FFP Mil/Mil model, and because I had so much trouble getting ahold of him he is sending it to me no extra charge.

I guess the good customer service is still there, just very, very hard to get ahold of.

Lucky you, Silent8Strike!

I'm more than 10 days since my last post here, a second e-mail went out last week from me, and Wonders Optics is still stonewalling me.

The e-mail I got was only an apology and a statement that he was waiting to get more Falcon scopes in.

NO response to my questions of expected arrival date or whether there were any options like trading for a [gasp!] Wotac model or something else.

Getting pissed again.

Matt has always been hard to get ahold of he has had a lot of set back since I've known him. He has had hole orders come in and the glass was screwed up sent the glass back there was 3 weeks added time to wait,Turrets where messed up would not dial what they said pull all the scope apart and sent the turret screws back as threads were cut wrong. These are problems he has had he works trying to get the scope out not answer the phone or e-mail believe he told me his help was himself and 2 other people. I once talked to him and his goal was to make the best scope he could with as many of the bells and whistle as he could and keep the price down and reasonable. Nightforce may be better but from the ones I looked through they aren't 1000.00 bucks better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt has always been hard to get ahold of he has had a lot of set back since I've known him. He has had hole orders come in and the glass was screwed up sent the glass back there was 3 weeks added time to wait,Turrets where messed up would not dial what they said pull all the scope apart and sent the turret screws back as threads were cut wrong. These are problems he has had he works trying to get the scope out not answer the phone or e-mail believe he told me his help was himself and 2 other people. I once talked to him and his goal was to make the best scope he could with as many of the bells and whistle as he could and keep the price down and reasonable. Nightforce may be better but from the ones I looked through they aren't 1000.00 bucks better. </div></div>

If I could swing the $1k difference. I would absoulutely get the NF over any WOTAC. I have had both brands, there is a reason for the price tag difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silent8Strike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So guess what, I finally heard back from Matt today. Along with replacing the scope I had asked him if I could pay the difference for the new FFP Mil/Mil model, and because I had so much trouble getting ahold of him he is sending it to me no extra charge.

I guess the good customer service is still there, just very, very hard to get ahold of. </div></div>

Sorry to diasgree, but good customer service means that you get responses via email or phone, in a timely manner. Matt means well Im sure, but sounds like there needs to be drastic staff increases there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce may be better but from the ones I looked through they aren't 1000.00 bucks better.</div></div>

You are going to find very few people (if any) who agree with that comment. I've owned a couple of WOTAC scopes, and currently have a 5.5-22x56 NXS, and there is no doubt in my mind the NF is $1000 better than the WOTAC. In fact, its not even close. Glass is better, turrets are better, the NF is much more robust, and as we are seeing in the this thread, call WOTAC and NF and see which one answers the phone.

You can take the NightForce off your rifle and beat the WOTAC flat as a pancake and then put the NightForce back on your rifle and still be zeroed ....

Wow, wish I would have read this thread before I ordered my scope. On a budget so ordered one up from reading reviews a long time ago, back around the time Gen 3's were first being released. Needless to say its been almost 3 weeks and I still dont have a scope, or any contact from Matt. Have left voicemails and try calling often, all to no avail. I just filled a claim with PayPal, so hopefully I can get my money back and go buy another scope. This is truly horrible CS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, wish I would have read this thread before I ordered my scope. On a budget so ordered one up from reading reviews a long time ago, back around the time Gen 3's were first being released. Needless to say its been almost 3 weeks and I still dont have a scope, or any contact from Matt. Have left voicemails and try calling often, all to no avail. I just filled a claim with PayPal, so hopefully I can get my money back and go buy another scope. This is truly horrible CS.</div></div>
Let me guess--your scope was supposed to be all packaged up and ready to be picked up by the shipper more than two weeks ago???

He tells a good story about the latest WOTACs surviving impact testing better than the Falcon Menaces, but that really does little good when the product is not arriving in anyone's hands.

Matt's assessment is that the Wotacs have slightly better glass, too, but the Falcons have a better reticle. I figure it either doesn't matter because he can't sell many because of threads like this, or it doesn't matter because he doesn't get many in and sells them all anyway.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for one to arrive.

Its been about 3 weeks. I ordered it 1/19. I haven't even been able to get a hold of him. After leaving VM's unanswered I filed a claim with PayPal for a refund. Its just a long process, I just want to get my money back so I can buy another scope and shoot my new rifle.

In this bad of an economy you would think people would strive for good customer service so that they could keep revenue up and a good customer relationship....

So its been a month since Matt finally got back to me and said he would ship my replacement ASAP, and guess what? No scope. I even shipped the old broken one back, and according to the tracking number, it arrived without any issues. So its time to start the very lengthy process of trying to get a hold of Matt again.

I also think it might be time to find a new scope...