• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Would AR400 steel hold up to a 308

heavy barrel

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2009
phoenix,az
Would AR400 steel hold up to a 308 175smk at 500 plus yards? A friend has some & I want to make a target out of it.

Re: Would AR400 steel hold up to a 308

If you have it thick enough, i suppose. Those 175 SMK leave impressive markings on metal.

Why not get AR500 steel plates from the group buy here on the site? I have shot mine at 300 yards with everything from a 243ackley to a 7mm mag. The only thing that happens is a little paint is knocked off everytime.

I haven't tested it at 500 yards but I have shot AR 400 at 300 yards and it cratered pretty good.

A friend has some ar400 laying around & would be free. I'll guess I'll make some pistol tragets with it.

If it's free you can make a pistol target, roll it out to 500y and shoot it once. See what happens, make your decision based on that.

Tried the same thing last year, free metal is hard to pass up.At 380 yds with 175 SMK's it left a small dimple. AR's with 55's and 77's worked fine. The only other distance I shot them at was 800 and they just scratched the paint.
Recommend not shooting them with an AR at 25yds though.
whistle.gif

Worked great as pistol and rimfire targets though.

Horning in on the discussion with a ? on splatter and ricochets. At the distances we all normally shoot s/r is typically not a problem. Sidearms are a different story. Anyone have any experience using ar500 targets with pistols? I'm most concerned with my fellow shooters adjacent to my position on the line becoming "annoyed"
cry.gif
with me if I use ar500 targets at pistol ranges.

Information Link

One of the clubs I belong to has a 15y steel "popper" range with 3/8" AR500 plates. They occasionally send very small bits back at us, but nothing big enough to do any damage. Maybe if you got hit in the eye it would cause problems.

I don't shoot there a whole lot, but when I do, I always have good eye protection.

The other club I belong to has AR500 plates at 25y in various sizes. The only issue that I find with those is that the splatter ruins the neighboring paper on the target boards.

Thx bohem! Exactly what I needed to know. The BPowder guys were shooting sheep (competition silhouettes) the last time I went to the range and some of the twangs sounded kind of close. Which is why the club shut down the adjacent pistol range (makes sense) during the comp.

Eye protection check, double check, 15+yds (unless "brave" and frangible) try to keep the paper target position next to you in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fewenuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and have gfriend with store boughts wear body armor...hehehe
</div></div>

Hahahahaha.... good idea

The rule that the club with the popper range has is that no "full power magnum loads are allowed"

I'm allowed to shoot a 9mm +P+ if I want to, but bear killer loads from the 44 are a No Go. They don't mind if I use cast 240 SWC's with a light plinker load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i need to find this groups posts i need one of these as well can someonetelll me a link or something???? to find it?? </div></div>

Can you be a little more clear in what you want?

I wouldn't turn down free metal but I would definitely try and verify that it is infact AR400. The time to find out that it is actually mild steel is not while you are shooting it with a pistol @ 25 yards. If this doesn't work out, let me know. I've got some extra AR500 targets for sale.

I've shot mild steel with a pistol from 25 yards, it doesn't cause problems... or at least it hasn't for me. I wasn't shooting anything big though, just a 9mm at a homemade gong. It did bend the gong up some though.

Any kind of armor plate will work for pistols at those ranges, if you want to see how it will hold up for a larger caliber, pull it back to 500 yards and shoot it with a 308 first, than bring it closer successively as the tests are OK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heavy barrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would AR400 steel hold up to a 308 175smk at 500 plus yards? A friend has some & I want to make a target out of it. </div></div>

3/8" AR400 will hold at 500+ but you are going to put some little craters in it.

Closer than that and you are going to smoke holes through it.

800 yard shot on AR400 plate:
100_2733.jpg

I nailed it at 300 and the bullets didn't even stop to say "hi" as they sailed right through. It was a nice group though!

Those were 168gr SMK's at 2700fps or so.

Bohem, the problem with mild steel isn't that, depending on caliber/velocity, it won't stop a bullet. The problem is that the more the steel distorts and craters the less predictable the splash and fragmentation will be. The harder the steel the safer it is to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bohem, the problem with mild steel isn't that, depending on caliber/velocity, it won't stop a bullet. The problem is that the more the steel distorts and craters the less predictable the splash and fragmentation will be. The harder the steel the safer it is to shoot. </div></div>

Right, which is why I said that for pistols it's not a big deal. Hot mag loads from a 44 or a 454 can cause issues, but even a ringer of a 10mm load still fragments everything up on mild.

I suggested to start out long range with a rifle and move it closer in to see what's going on with it. You have to worry of the jacket coming back at you, a 500y shot won't bring a jacket back.

For 22 rimfire you can use 3/8" aluminum for a gong if you're out past 100y.

I have a piece of steel plate that was sold to me as AR400. It's 3/8" thick. I have shot it many times at 300yd with hand-loaded 175SMK as well as FGMM 175SMK. At 300yd (verified by Leica CRF1200) it barely left little burrs at the impact site. MV is around 2700fps. It is a hanging target that can swing free when hit. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Here is a pic of it shot at 300yds:
dsc0687el6.jpg

I tested 1/2 AR400 vs a 300 ultra with 150's and 180's at 100 yds. It put a very light dimple in the plate when the plate was held rigid if allowed to topple like a silhouette it only nicked the surface. Alot of this also depends on bullet construction I used noslers and sierras now a FMJ will have different results. A .223 will crater/chip the surface with a 55 gr fmj bullet on the same 1/2 in plate. If you hold the plate at a slightly downward angle there will be less damage also. I will also add on our local clubs silhouette range 3/8" thick Turkeys and Rams at 385m and 500m will hadle a 308 with 175mk easily I ordered the steel for all those targets myself the Rams have withstood 7mm Mags and 300 mags at that range. After 7 years of shooting on them there is no visable damage. AR500 was prone to cracking around the legs and feet and was a bit on the brittle side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bohem, the problem with mild steel isn't that, depending on caliber/velocity, it won't stop a bullet. The problem is that the more the steel distorts and craters the less predictable the splash and fragmentation will be. The harder the steel the safer it is to shoot.</div></div>
There was a bit of controversy at one of the steel speed-shoot pistol matches a few years ago (Steel Challenge in Colorado?) because the 8" steel plates were dishing after the first days' worth of hard shooting, and the later shooters were claiming that the target was getting smaller in diameter. Think it was by 1/4-inch total or something like that.

The biggest problem with cratering is the way it can funnel fragments, or even molten stuff (which sometimes hardens together instead of vaporizing) straight back towards the firing line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[snippage]
I nailed it at 300 and the bullets didn't even stop to say "hi" as they sailed right through. It was a nice group though!

Those were 168gr SMK's at 2700fps or so.</div></div>
Now THAT is a well-turned phrase!

Even at 100 yards on my AR500 I notice some little dimples with 168's

You'll see some dimpling with .308 on 500 and possibly some cratering on the 400. If you have the option of creating a swinger, it allows the target to dissipate some of the impact. If you have access to free AR400, I'd use it, but shoot at 200 yards +. Especially if you have the ability to make your targets, man I'd use 400 all day.

For those using AR500 with pistol, change the target delection angle with 2x4's etc to create more of a 45 degree angle to the ground to help with pistol ricochet.

We found some AR500. Got a good deal on it. Got enough to make 1 silhouette & some smaller targets. We will be testing them tomarrow. Thanks for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heavy barrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....We will be testing them tomarrow...</div></div>I'd just go ahead and shoot it, testing is too destructive.

heavy barrel, please pass along the results I'm definitely interested in what happens to the steel

Shooting at steel is fun!!! We set up a 500 650 & 720 yard targets. The 308 would ring loud enough at 720 but the 223 was hard to here.
We set up 1 at around 80 yard to test to make sure it was ar500 steel. A 190smk didn't hurt it at all.
We are going to make another 1 or 2 to put out to 1000.