• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would you buy a TRG 42 if it was cheaper than a 22

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I have some interest in purchasing a Sako so I was checking out euro optic and discovered that a TRG 42 in 338 is $700 cheaper than the cheapest 22 and with phosphate, it's still $500 cheaper.

Now I don't have much use for a 338 but this is gonna be the "weekend warrior" per se and ammo costs won't have an influence in caliber choice either way.

So do you follow the "more for less" logic?

Re: Would you buy a TRG 42 if it was cheaper than a 22

If the ammo cost of a 338 "won't have an influence" then surely the $5-700 price difference won't either.

Buy the one you want.

It's not about how much they cost relative to one another, but how they are used.

Unless you have a place to shoot further than 1Kyds, shooting the 338 Lapua at close range is a waste of good bullet and powder.

It's like owning a Corvette, and never driving it faster than 70 MPH. However, it does impress the girls and boys at the range.

Buy what suits your fancy....

what is your ultimate goal with the rifle? let that be the determining factor.

Have you ever actually shot a .338 Lapua? If not, see if you can try one out before you buy one. Even with a muzzle brake, it's a pretty harsh round. Definitely not for everyone.

Unless you are looking to dump a bunch of money into a rifle that will not get used...

Don't get me wrong, it is a great rifle and a great round, but I would rather spend money on one that is going to get shot a lot.

Rifles are meant to be shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not about how much they cost relative to one another, but how they are used.

Unless you have a place to shoot further than 1Kyds, shooting the 338 Lapua at close range is a waste of good bullet and powder.

It's like owning a Corvette, and never driving it faster than 70 MPH. However, it does impress the girls and boys at the range.

Buy what suits your fancy.... </div></div>

I'm within 3 hours of Rayners and TVP. If I want to stretch it's legs, I have access to a mile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is your ultimate goal with the rifle? let that be the determining factor. </div></div>

Paper and steel, maybe a couple matches once I get the time. I haven't shot a 338 Lapua but I've shot a couple of the smaller magnums, 30-06 etc. I haven't run into many guns that I couldn't learn how to handle, be it a Smith 500 or a magnum bolt gun. Not saying I'm a jedi master of heavy artillery but I've never felt uncomfortable or timid because of recoil.

And if I was misleading, I apologize. It will get shot a fair amount. Probably an honest 200 rounds a season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is your ultimate goal with the rifle? let that be the determining factor. </div></div>

Paper and steel, maybe a couple matches once I get the time. I haven't shot a 338 Lapua but I've shot a couple of the smaller magnums, 30-06 etc. I haven't run into many guns that I couldn't learn how to handle, be it a Smith 500 or a magnum bolt gun. Not saying I'm a jedi master of heavy artillery but I've never felt uncomfortable or timid because of recoil.

And if I was misleading, I apologize. It will get shot a fair amount. Probably an honest 200 rounds a season. </div></div>

The key to all this is you might want to shoot matches which most won't allow anything bigger than 300wm so i would get the trg 22. i am alittle bias because i have a trg 22 and absolutlely love it.

Mike has his TRG 22 for sale at a good price, it would would do what you would want to do for about the same dollar.
The .338 has a huge bolt face so you would need to consider that if you decide to rebarrel it in the future.
The .338 is a fun rifle to shoot a few times, then you realize that it takes a lot of money to feed that thing.
I am all for the TRG platform, so good luck on which ever you decide on.
SScott

With a good Brake the .338LM is very easy to shoot prone.

The biggest problem is ammo costs

If you already have a good .308 rifle and have a place to shoot pretty long distances, a .338LM would be lots of fun.

I find in my case that the .338LM wears me out a lot quicker than a .308 does.

It's a great price on the TRG 42

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I find in my case that the .338LM wears me out a lot quicker than a .308 does.

</div></div>

LoL! Yeah that's a good way to put it. Somewhere between 35-50 rounds I start feeling a little worn out.

Love both my TRG22 and TRG42 in .338LM

If I already had a .308/.260 etc, hell yes, and I plan on seeing one in my near future.

here is my little story
i shoot a few thousand rounds of 308 each year out of bolt guns and i thought hmm maybe i could get something bigger so i bought a 700p in 300 ultra mag 10 lbs with scope i loaded up some 210 berger bullets went to the range shot 5 rounds and was done my normal range day went from fun shoot all day to a bruised shoulder and a mild headache i understand that the trg42 is heavier and has a muzzlebreak but until you try one out dont buy one thats my .02 btw i went straight from the range to the gunshop and traded in the ultra mag 6 months ago since then it has been traded in 4 times lol

I also noticed this, does anyone know the reason why the .308 is more expensive?

Euro Optic is trying to clear out some stock, so sales prices are really good right now.

As far as pricing between models.....Sako pricing doesn't always make the most sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Euro Optic is trying to clear out some stock, so sales prices are really good right now.

As far as pricing between models.....Sako pricing doesn't always make the most sense. </div></div>

I wonder if that is Euro Optic driving the price or is that really Sakos pricing. I too have noticed some really odd pricing between TRG models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't shot a 338 Lapua but I've shot a couple of the smaller magnums, 30-06 etc.</div></div>

Heh heh - if .30-06 is your idea of a "magnum", then this should be a lot of fun
smile.gif

Remember that this isn't just about finding a deal on the rifle itself, but then setting it up with optics and accessories, as well as getting reloading supplies in place. Lapua brass is almost $3/each, and you won't get 100 rounds loaded from a pound of powder. If you have marginal reloading gear, then you will get to upgrade that as well. This is just like the old parable of being "involved" vs. being "committed" - a rifle of this type is certainly the latter.

Considering that just a few months ago you were preaching the virtues of learning how to master a single caliber, I think you need to first re-assess your goals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Paper and steel, <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">maybe a couple matches once I get the time</span></span>. I haven't shot a 338 Lapua but I've shot a couple of the smaller magnums, 30-06 etc. I haven't run into many guns that I couldn't learn how to handle, be it a Smith 500 or a magnum bolt gun. Not saying I'm a jedi master of heavy artillery but I've never felt uncomfortable or timid because of recoil.

And if I was misleading, I apologize. It will get shot a fair amount. Probably an honest 200 rounds a season. </div></div>

I <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">LOVE</span></span> my 42, but I wouldn't be thrilled about shooting any dynamic type matches with it. It's not exactly "handy"... though the weight is pretty manageable for what it is.

Regarding recoil, with a Near Mfg brake on it the 42 is very manageable, but it's still a 338 Lapua. If you really want to reach out and touch something and have lots of energy left when you get there, then it's a hell of a round. Quite honestly though, if I didn't care about the energy portion (I do for long range Elk) then I would probably be shooting a large 7mm instead. The Lapua brass is expensive (though it lasts quite a while), 338 bullets are expensive, it eats lots of powder, etc etc.

For purely target stuff I would get something else probably. If you care about energy on target then 338 is hard to argue with...

It is a hell of a good deal and a great way to try out a 338. The only bummer part is the price of brass , but once you divide it by 10-13 firings and consider the quality of Lapua brass it is acceptable( buying loaded ammo is nott even an option!$$$$$$).

You are getting a new TRG 42 for the price of a used one, that is always a win! My buddy bought a Euro opticTrg 42 and I helped him set it up with Nears base , alpha mount and his brake. It is a very nice rifle and I am just a little jealous!!!
smile.gif

I reload for many calibers i both pistol and rifle. from tiny stuff up to the 300 tomahawk. I love my 308 but out here in the mountains of AZ long range shooting is getting to be the norm. I am looking into the savage 338 LM price is nice, with a new trigger and a bit of action work you would still have a fair amount of money left over to buy glass. I have no idea how well it will shoot stacked up to the TRG. But for me not going to be getting calipers out or even a tape measure for the 1500+ yard stuff.

Point is there are some options out there for the big calibers that are less than others. Brass for the Lapua is the big cost however compared to say Remington brass you are going to get more reloads out of the same piece of brass..

Still not a cheap deal when compared to other calibers. Overkill for just about all hunting. Not that it is wrong just different

But here is a example of what I have planned

Savage rifle 1400
glass& mounts 1500 ( SS glass used or maybe something else used)
trigger 200
action work 200-400
all in all round it up a bit and you need 4000 to get you a good start at shooting..

Btw these are nothing like a smaller gun to shoot even with a brake... My 300 tomahawk was a killer to shoot even with a brake. Violent was a good way to describe the recoil.

7 mag is another to look at. hard on barrels , but long range targets it will get the job done, never look at the long range engery.. But it is not much more than a search away.

GMR,you are going to get a Savage for$1400, then a $200 trigger And then do $400 worth of action work? That is $2000 , the TRG is $2250 and is in my opinion 10 x the rifle a Savage could ever hope to be. You owe it to yourself to at least consider the TRG.

Get the -42.

When you want to start shooting at 1000+ it is amazing what that round will do. I don't even shoot mine at 600 anymore as it is not much of a challenge. Fortunately there are two good ranges somewhat close I can go to for long range fun...Whittington and the Buena Vista Steel range.

Guess it boils down to personal preference, but I have not once regretted buying a -42 even given the cost of feeding it.

However, factor in the cost of a brake or a suppressor at purchase time, your shoulder will thank you.

After everyones been there and done that,its back to the old trusted 308!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After everyones been there and done that,its back to the old trusted 308!!! </div></div>
Amen!

The 338LM is not harsh in the TG42. I sold mine but only because I didn't have a good place to really stretch it out.
I'd say go for it. If you don't like it there will be someone here that will want it.