• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wsm's

dustinblack0686

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2008
OREGON
Have recently bought a couple wsm's, " a 270wsm and a 7mmwsm" i realize thats pretty simular but anyways, my question is are they any better for long range? Are they more efficient thus being a better cartridge? Please shed alil light on this topic for me if you have some theory or numbers that will explain.

Re: wsm's

Your 7wsm will smoke the 270wsm. If the 7mm is a 9 twist load it up with the 162's/168's/180's and take it to 1k. It's a great cartridge.

Couldnt imagine the 7mm wsm could out perform the 270 wsm by that much? 7mm wsm is only a 280. what makes it so much better?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Couldnt imagine the 7mm wsm could out perform the 270 wsm by that much? 7mm wsm is only a 280. what makes it so much better? </div></div>

The availability of EXCELLENT long range pills. That's really the only reason.

Yep; there are very few high BC bullets available for the 270, while there are several in teh 175+ grain range for teh 7WSM.

JEffVN

It's a .284.....................and bullets close to.7, are readily avaiable.
Basically you have a 7RM in a short action,,,,,,,,
Plus .27 caliber has very limited choices for booolets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your 7wsm will smoke the 270wsm. If the 7mm is a 9 twist load it up with the 162's/168's/180's and take it to 1k. It's a great cartridge.</div></div>

Take it to 1K? Hell take that sucker to 1500+
smile.gif

7mm wsm is for sale if anybody is interested? its a blue synthetic winny with bout 50 rounds down the pipe. Like new no scratches and the blue finish is perfect. 450 plus shipping

Its a great hunting rifle however i do most of my shooting at paper so any gun outa the box is gonna take some work to excel at sub moa bench shooting and i've decided to build a remington instead of a winny because of the amount of options available for the remmy 700. If your gonna go hunting and just need it to kill a critter its plenty accurate for that. I'm not happy unless i can make all my shots touch on paper! I have adjusted the trigger from 6 lbs to just over 2 lbs so that helps but like i said i've decided to go in a different direction. 7mmwsm is a great long range cartridge so if one wanted to use this as a base for a long range gun it would work.

Gonna take a photo today and list it in the sale section so if you are interested that will be where it will be. Probably wont last long for that price? gun looks like it just came outa the box

Hello everyone, just looking for some info, i have bought a wichester extreme ss in 270 wsm put a 6-25x50 millet LS-1 tactical scope on it was wondering if i would have any problems out to 1000m, has been awhile since i have done any long distance shooting but want to get back at it, i am just going to start to set it up.

I'm considering selling my 270 WSM because I want to get into ELR and there just aren't many bullet choices in 277 caliber.

The 270 WSM is quite capable of shooting to 1000+yrds with easy and get there is a hurry. I frequently shoot out to the 1450 yrd mark without much trouble with 140 and 150gr bullets. Starting this weekend we'll see how the 165 Matrix shoots, also have some 169.5 Wildcats that should show soon. There is also the 175 Matrix and a few Bergers that shoot very well.
I'm on my third barrel and find zero reason to change to a 7mm WSM.

Thanks. After working up ballistics, I know I can go past 1000 with my 150 Bergers in my 270 wsm. But it is a skinny sporter barrel and therefore I don't think it would stand up to a day of shooting steel.
I plan to test the waters of ELR competition with 105 AMax's out of a 243 wssm. If I get hooked, I will likely re-barrel the 270 wsm to a 7 wsm and a light varmint contour. Or sell the rifle and start over.

I have a FN 300wsm w 24" chrome bbl factory gun with a Bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30x56 tactical and smith rings. Its a special police rifle. After initial break in, I came to the conclusion that this rifle was not living up to it's full potential. the bolt was hard to feed and had some misfire issues. After some quick work from Ben Voss of FNH and Gerald Kuthy there at the range, the bolt was working fabulously. They told me that it was too new and had to polish the bolt edges with a stone and strip the bolt to put new lube in it. Very cool. The triggers are winchester cheapos. And so, I dropped it off with Gerald Kuthy of Custom Blue. he is pillar and glass bedding the stock, putting on a Gemtech quickmount for my can, Jewell trigger set to 1pound pull, and some bolt work. Im hoping this straightens the old girl up to her .5moa or better potential. With a rifle that costs 2200 off the shelf, Im surprised that FN does not bed the Mcmillan stocks they are sold with.

short survey about bc of bullets for 270 wsm:

company, type, weight - bc
------------------------------
nosler, partition, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.465
nosler, ballistic tip, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.496
nosler, accubond, 140gr (9.07g) - 0.496
hornady, sst, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.525
berger, vld, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.531

ps: yes, those are all hunting bullets and not specifically made for certain ranges ... but it might still be interesting to see which bc you can (easily?) get

personally, i'd prefer to see more into the 0.6 region

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">short survey about bc of bullets for 270 wsm:

company, type, weight - bc
------------------------------
nosler, partition, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.465
nosler, ballistic tip, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.496
nosler, accubond, 140gr (9.07g) - 0.496
hornady, sst, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.525
berger, vld, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.531

ps: yes, those are all hunting bullets and not specifically made for certain ranges ... but it might still be interesting to see which bc you can (easily?) get

personally, i'd prefer to see more into the 0.6 region </div></div>

You missed the best three!!

165 Matrix no solid data but I'm guessing mid to high .600's.
169.5 Wildcat again no solid number but some are using .740 which seems high.
175 Matrix BC on the site are calculated and seem to run quite high but should be in the .700+ range.

There's at least one project on going that will add more high BC bullets to the 270 line up that I know of.

I ran a couple 165's out the other day while breaking in a new barrel and they ran 3054 with easy and a light load of Retumbo, as soon as I get a decent day I'll find a good load and knock out a drop chart for them.

Wildcat or Matrix don't have much for published tested BC's just calculated one's so far. I know Litz has shot some of the 7mm and 30 cal stuff from both Co. but I don't think he has shot any 270.