• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes WTF! Premier going out of business???

Re: WTF! Anyone else have corroborating info?!?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys should really just give Chris a break, it is hard enough running a small business today without a bunch of assholes who have next to nothing in the fight adding their mindless chatter too it.

I get it, it's news either way, but the fact that some people feel this is their battle to win is beyond me. Make no mistakes many of these "concerns" are just veiled attacks because they may not like the way Chris does business, but none of you have his pressures either.

Life is hard enough, so why make it harder for a guy trying to do nothing more than support his family and the people within the shooting community be it civilian, or military. </div></div>

The chatter doesn't strike me as too odd, people can sense when something isn't right and this definitely has that feel. For example, their "new" Marine contract claim is raising eyebrows.

As with others, I hope they DO stay in business unless they've been telling porkies in which case they should get what they get.

Everyone:

Please accept my apologies for attempting to remain silent for the past few months. It seems that my choice of words and vernacular doesn’t translate well on the forum as compared to face-to-face conversations and I thought it better to stay off the forums as a result. To be honest, I was afraid of doing another ‘Nunya’! To this day, I have nightmares about that word…

But please believe me when I say never did I think it was beneath me to respond or that I didn’t care about the concerns and questions of the individual customer. I always have and always will. Premier Reticles is a family business, we’re not a faceless multinational company. So with that said, and having read all the posts and concerns out there, I will make an effort to address them and I hope, to everyone's satisfaction. If there are still concerns, then please get in touch.

So allow me to clarify some things:

1. Premier Reticles is NOT "out of business". As Mike at CSTactical said, our phones have been ringing non-stop since yesterday evening from this rumor thread and we are doing the best we can to get to every phone call. Please email me directly ([email protected]) with your phone number and I'll be more than happy to call you back.

2. USMC contract - in Aug 2005, Premier Reticles was awarded a 5year IDIQ contract to supply the new Scout Sniper Day Scope (SSDS). At the time of award, the Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50mm PM II served at the platform. Premier went on to complete 100% of the assembly process with parts supplied by Schmidt & Bender. As of Sep 2008, 2896units (S&B scope) were delivered to the fleet.

May 2009, Premier submitted a Class I Engineering Change Proposal (ECP) and 10units of the Premier Heritage 3-15x50mm. After 9months of rigorous testing performed by the USMC, including 10,000cycles-shock test @ 800g's, the ECP was approved on 20 Jan 2010 (hence the timing of our press release at Shot Show). Contract M67854-05-D-1043 P00009, CLIN 0008.

Purpose of the ECP-approved Premier scope is to replace combat losses and fulfill new sniper weapons requirements currently in the works. The Schmidt & Bender will no longer be purchased by the USMC on this contract. However, Premier continues to provide maintenance on the almost 3000units S&B SSDS currently fielded.

The contract has a remaining 4500 scopes available. These could be purchased by, not only the USMC, but also other agencies like SOCOM, US Army and Federal LE.

3. Part content: we source parts based on three things: quality, delivery and price. Some parts are from Asia, some from Europe and some from the US. But everything is to our design specifications. ALL assembly is performed in Winchester, VA. I can assure you, that our practices are no different than any other manufacturer who places quality and cost effectiveness as their top priority in order to exceed customer expectations.

Thanks for reading , supporting and/or taking an interest in Premier Reticles. If what they say is true about there’s no such thing as bad publicity, then I guess I should be grateful to the rumor mongers. But then, we all know I’m not that great at PR! It's been rewarding to have this level of exposure not seen for quite a while. Again, please don't hesitate to contact me as it would be my pleasure to answer your questions.

Regards,

Chris

Chris,

I think that was a good response to all this and I commend you for having the good sense to not ready, fire, aim. Good luck from a current owner and future customer.

Chris,
As a satisfied owner and end user of your product...
Thank you for the comments.
Eric

Chris,

I appreciate your response and its sincerity. Glad you found some time to chime in here, I'm sure that phone has kept you busy the last two days.

Best of luck to you and Premier.

Jason

Bravo Chris!

I hope this will end the speculation. I love both of my PRH scopes and look forward to the release of the 1-8.

Again- you have a great employee in Paul.

Chris: Thanks for the professional and helpful response. As I current owner myself, I wish your company the best.

thanks Chris for the update. ( future PH 3-15x owner)

can we please edit the thread title now ?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gen2mildot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone:

Please accept my apologies for attempting to remain silent for the past few months. It seems that my choice of words and vernacular doesn’t translate well on the forum as compared to face-to-face conversations and I thought it better to stay off the forums as a result. To be honest, I was afraid of doing another ‘Nunya’! To this day, I have nightmares about that word…

But please believe me when I say never did I think it was beneath me to respond or that I didn’t care about the concerns and questions of the individual customer. I always have and always will. Premier Reticles is a family business, we’re not a faceless multinational company. So with that said, and having read all the posts and concerns out there, I will make an effort to address them and I hope, to everyone's satisfaction. If there are still concerns, then please get in touch.

So allow me to clarify some things:

1. Premier Reticles is NOT "out of business". As Mike at CSTactical said, our phones have been ringing non-stop since yesterday evening from this rumor thread and we are doing the best we can to get to every phone call. Please email me directly ([email protected]) with your phone number and I'll be more than happy to call you back.

2. USMC contract - in Aug 2005, Premier Reticles was awarded a 5year IDIQ contract to supply the new Scout Sniper Day Scope (SSDS). At the time of award, the Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50mm PM II served at the platform. Premier went on to complete 100% of the assembly process with parts supplied by Schmidt & Bender. As of Sep 2008, 2896units (S&B scope) were delivered to the fleet.

May 2009, Premier submitted a Class I Engineering Change Proposal (ECP) and 10units of the Premier Heritage 3-15x50mm. After 9months of rigorous testing performed by the USMC, including 10,000cycles-shock test @ 800g's, the ECP was approved on 20 Jan 2010 (hence the timing of our press release at Shot Show). Contract M67854-05-D-1043 P00009, CLIN 0008.

Purpose of the ECP-approved Premier scope is to replace combat losses and fulfill new sniper weapons requirements currently in the works. The Schmidt & Bender will no longer be purchased by the USMC on this contract. However, Premier continues to provide maintenance on the almost 3000units S&B SSDS currently fielded.

The contract has a remaining 4500 scopes available. These could be purchased by, not only the USMC, but also other agencies like SOCOM, US Army and Federal LE.

3. Part content: we source parts based on three things: quality, delivery and price. Some parts are from Asia, some from Europe and some from the US. But everything is to our design specifications. ALL assembly is performed in Winchester, VA. I can assure you, that our practices are no different than any other manufacturer who places quality and cost effectiveness as their top priority in order to exceed customer expectations.

Thanks for reading , supporting and/or taking an interest in Premier Reticles. If what they say is true about there’s no such thing as bad publicity, then I guess I should be grateful to the rumor mongers. But then, we all know I’m not that great at PR! It's been rewarding to have this level of exposure not seen for quite a while. Again, please don't hesitate to contact me as it would be my pleasure to answer your questions.

Regards,

Chris

</div></div>

Chris,

Fantastic post, obviously carefully considered and well written, given the winds blowing around you. Hopefully, this will go a long way is easing everyone's mind and building bridges back with the shooting community here.

Scott

Chris, thanks for the update on the contract change, I was curious about the details.

All you Internet detectives can now go F yourselfs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you Internet detectives can now go F yourselfs!</div></div>

Well stated my man.

Thanks Chris, that pretty much obviates the post I was going to make.

Thanks for the post Chris. Very well stated, and very well intentioned. While you may be trying to remain silent, I think making a carefully worded and truthful post once in a while would go a long way to solidifying your companies appearance in the eyes of guys like me. (guys that don't run in the military circles but like to play with nice equipment at the range or hunting) I think Scott was right, in saying this may go a ways toward getting some folks thinking about your products that otherwise wouldn't be. Myself included.

You know... I'm about fuckn sick of some asswipe stirring the pot, and then every tom dick and harry jumping on the bandwagon and trying to drive a stake in the heart of some company on here.

Used to be a time when you could come to the hide and get a "NO BULLSHIT" assessment of a product and know you were spending your money wisely. Now it seems that every time I jump on the hide there is some rumor-mill bullshit going on. KNOW before you SPEAK. Not THINK... KNOW.

KNOW... then speak. Not the other way around. If you don't KNOW, then your post damn well better be in the form of a question.

Oh, btw Chris, I noticed you did some website work recently. Much better.

However, you'll want to tell your web guy to get the googlebot to come crawl the new site. Google is reporting some busted links.
smile.gif

Sometimes pulling back the curtain just a little, opens things up a lot.

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the post Chris. Very well stated, and very well intentioned. While you may be trying to remain silent, I think making a carefully worded and truthful post once in a while would go a long way to solidifying your companies appearance in the eyes of guys like me. (guys that don't run in the military circles but like to play with nice equipment at the range or hunting) I think Scott was right, in saying this may go a ways toward getting some folks thinking about your products that otherwise wouldn't be. Myself included.

You know... I'm about fuckn sick of some asswipe stirring the pot, and then every tom dick and harry jumping on the bandwagon and trying to drive a stake in the heart of some company on here.

Used to be a time when you could come to the hide and get a "NO BULLSHIT" assessment of a product and know you were spending your money wisely. Now it seems that every time I jump on the hide there is some rumor-mill bullshit going on. KNOW before you SPEAK. Not THINK... KNOW.

KNOW... then speak. Not the other way around. If you don't KNOW, then your post damn well better be in the form of a question. </div></div>

dude, can I refer you to someone that can help...lol..man, you ramped up progressively.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you Internet detectives can now go F yourselfs! </div></div>

LMAO!
grin.gif

Thank you Chris for clearing the air on this whole thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got off the phone with Chris. He is being inundated with calls but they are still open and are not closed. We will have more info for everybody in a few hours.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Please include the documentation to the contract you said they just won. </div></div>

Is the info posted by Chris enough or should he get you the Visa # too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got off the phone with Chris. He is being inundated with calls but they are still open and are not closed. We will have more info for everybody in a few hours.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Please include the documentation to the contract you said they just won. </div></div>

Is the info posted by Chris enough or should he get you the Visa # too? </div></div>

All Chris says is that PR is NOT out of business.

There's no indication that the company is healthy and returning on investment. They have potentially 4500 scopes left that they can build for others under contract, but that doesn't seem to be an indication that the scopes will be bought, only that they can be.

I would think that as the owner of the company, being called out on the floor regarding the health of said company, we'd get more than a "we're NOT out of business."

It'd be nice to hear him comment on both short term and long term outlooks in helping to dispell some of the doom and gloom.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the original source was actually correct, just based on what IS NOT being said by the owner, in his above post.

If PR can't make those scopes for the USMC (or others) they'll have to rely on consumer sales and let's face it folks, there aren't a lot of gun people buying $2700-$2900 scopes out there.

Remember, PR is a subsidiary of another company who's supplying the techincal expertise and procurring the parts, so not only does PR have to finance it's own US based business, but they have other investers that need to earn a living.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got off the phone with Chris. He is being inundated with calls but they are still open and are not closed. We will have more info for everybody in a few hours.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Is the info posted by Chris enough or should he get you the Visa # too? </div></div>

There's no indication that the company is healthy and returning on investment. They have potentially 4500 scopes left that they can build for others under contract, but that doesn't seem to be an indication that the scopes will be bought, only that they can be.

I would think that as the owner of the company, being called out on the floor regarding the health of said company, we'd get more than a "we're NOT out of business."

It'd be nice to hear him comment on both short term and long term outlooks in helping to dispell some of the doom and gloom.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the original source was actually correct, just based on what IS NOT being said by the owner, in his above post.

If PR can't make those scopes for the USMC (or others) they'll have to rely on consumer sales and let's face it folks, there aren't a lot of gun people buying $2700-$2900 scopes out there.

Remember, PR is a subsidiary of another company who's supplying the techincal expertise and procurring the parts, so not only does PR have to finance it's own US based business, but they have other investers that need to earn a living.

Chris

</div></div>

You've got to be kidding!

Kidding about what?

CEOs of healthy companies don't mind coming out and telling you that they're healthy. CEOs of unhealthy companies generally don't hold press conferences announcing their troubles.

Unfortunately, "we are NOT out of business" is hardly reassuring, IMO.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got off the phone with Chris. He is being inundated with calls but they are still open and are not closed. We will have more info for everybody in a few hours.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Chris

</div></div>

"methinks the lady doth protest too much..."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kidding about what?

CEOs of healthy companies don't mind coming out and telling you that they're healthy. CEOs of unhealthy companies generally don't hold press conferences announcing their troubles.

Unfortunately, "we are NOT out of busiess" is hardly reassuring, IMO.

Chris </div></div>

They've got no obligation to open their books to you. They are a privately held company not a publicly traded corp.

I you don't feel safe buying from them, don't. Not that you were anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kidding about what?

Chris </div></div>

Are you at all familiar with the following phrase?
<span style="font-style: italic">
NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS.</span>

Chris </div></div>

At the risk of being flamed (flame suit on as a precaution) I agree with the above statement. "we are NOT out of business" now those are some carefully chosen words, he didn't say we are not going out of business, he only said we are not out of business, meaning at this moment, which by all accounts is true, but that doesn't mean they wont be out of business in the next month or so.

Sorry but that is just how I read his statement. But then again, I have too many attorneys in my family so I may be reading too much into the wording.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kidding about what?

Chris </div></div>

Are you familiar with the following phrase?
<span style="font-style: italic">
NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS.</span> </div></div>

I've not asked to see their books and that info isn't my business, but everybody in this thread and the threads over on ARFcom wanted a statement from PR and we got one. Why shouldn't I be able to talk with others here, about that statement?

This being said, I've only commented on what Chris wrote in his post and my thoughts on the matter are clearly and politely stated in two of my posts above.

Your snide reply to me doesn't negate any of my thoughts above.

Chris

I was just delivered a Premier 3-15 Gen2 mildot today(Thanks Scott!!!). I'd seen this thread earlier and it was a little upsetting. I'm glad that you posted Chris, this scope is f'ing awesome keep up the good work.

On a lighter note:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have too many attorneys in my family so I may be reading too much into the wording. </div></div>

Sorry to hear that, shining spot in the gene pool you are, devil dog!

Holy Shit!

What does the man have to do? He said to call him anytime to discuss this crap. Is that not enough. We should get off his back already. Lowlight was right- It is hard enough to run a business w/o this bullshit. He is still in business- what else do you need to know for fuck's sake?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a lighter note:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have too many attorneys in my family so I may be reading too much into the wording. </div></div>

Sorry to hear that, shining spot in the gene pool you are, devil dog! </div></div>

LOL, yah, you can imagine the look on my moms face when I said Im enlisting
laugh.gif
priceless!

It no wonder that Chris said Nunya to the hide. If I were him right now I would have a really hard time biting my tongue and not telling the hide to F.O. down the road. If he doesn't, that should tell us something about his desire to keep us satisfied.

Unbelievable!

wind, water, earth, fire...with our powers combined we form the FANBOY club of Premier....let it go dtac.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wind, water, earth, fire...with our powers combined we form the FANBOY club of Premier....let it go dtac. </div></div>

LOL, Classic!

well I personally put the brakes on "CG", as I feel he is being a disruptive force and bringing the "Hide" down a level I feel is beneath us.

People need to leave well enough alone and have a bit of respect, trying to knock people down for no good reason, attacking PR for the sake of the fight is not what this site is about, and frankly it pisses me off to read it.

So he can have a week off to think about it, and if anyone wants to join him, they can test me on it.

Enough Said

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally Posted By: deadly0311
wind, water, earth, fire...with our powers combined we form the FANBOY club of Premier....let it go dtac.

LOL, Classic!</div></div>

OK, I can take that- probably deserved. But you have to admit that to keep beating down on them is a bit much.

i agree, i believe that once Chris came and said his piece this thread should have died. Frank sent you a pm buddy.

y'all are either gonna run out of yarn or end up crocheting a lot of nice cat sweaters

Chris, thanks for posting. It cleared everything up for the masses. Kudos.

You really do have a great asset in Paul, BTW.

He responds to a rumor that the company is out of business with a statement saying that his company is NOT out of business... and by saying that, he is implying that they are GOING out of business? Are you serious?

And the guy that gave us the "nunya" comment is now a genius at phraseology? Really?

As a member of a family business, I know how tough a line it is to walk when you talk about your business. If you have a great year, you can't get overzealous about it because it sounds like you are lining your pockets. If you say you had a great year to your customers, it is because you are gouging them. If you say you are having a tough year, then people might assume that you are going out of business... so best to leave specifics unsaid in 99% of situations... especially around 1) employees and 2) customers.

This is not to say that I don't think that the health of the company is a legitimate question. Of the major players offering a tactical mil/mil FFP (S&B, PR, Hensoldt, Nightforce, USOptics, Vortex, etc.), PR is the only one that depends on a single product to pay all the bills. The new 1-8X intro changes that a little, but it is much easier to spread R&D and overhead costs over a lot of different products than over just one.

Folks at PR know that is their biggest weakness... and so do their competitors, so it is not surprising that these rumors get spread A LOT. It looks like people have given up attacking the product. So what does that say?

Even if the worst comes to pass for Premier they can say they created one of the best and most innovative optics products ever made. I'd rather try and fail at something great than muddle along in mediocrity.

If you are a Corporal on your first enlistment and are not tired from being in the field and prepping for a deployment or training and think that your internet presence means that you need to have been consulted and must read the Marine Corps contracts before anything is decided, this is pretty good.