• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WW1 veterans service information

Victor N TN

Retired civilian fart
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2002
Knoxville TN
Hey guys,

I've been off line a while. Bad health waits for no one.

While I was out of touch, I found a photo copy of my grandfather's WW1 US Army discharge. Everything is filled in with a very fancy cursive hand writing. Some of the initials I can't understand.

I guess what I'm asking is there a WW1 historian in the crowd?

His discharge states he was in 2 different divisions. (If I'm reading this correctly.) Montaque with the 29th and Meuse with the 32nd. He was discharged at Ft. Oglethorpe, GA, Company D, 323 FA. But old photos my aunt has shows him on horse back and his shoulder patch looks like the AA the 82nd Airborn uses today. It shows him on horse back, but his papers say he was not recorded as mounted.

Anyone know how I can get some information on what he did and where he was?

Thanks in advance.
Victor

Re: WW1 veterans service information

FA, or Field Artillery had to have horses to move the artillery pieces around, in those times.

That is what I gather thus far.

I agree. I've read a couple of books on generalities of WW1 Europe. But I can't connect any thing from his discharge to what the books I've read say.

I actually have more information on his grandfather than on him. His grandfather fought for the south in the war of northern aggression. I have found most of his pay stubs / receipts.

Thanks. Any little bit helps.

Victor,

I can identify with you on this. I've had a lengthy family history in the military, and it doesn't make it any easier when lips are kept shut about it.

Also, I'm not sure if they did combat patches in World War 1. This info might help you out too. Combat patches are awarded when a soldier serves under a particular unit in a war, or conflict, and it doesn't necessarily have to be the soldier's parent unit. Basically he gets seconded when, and where, he is needed.

Like I said, I'm unsure when they started doing that, but it might be a possibility.

Victor, some units were combined or absorbed by other units during Pershing's attempts at building a solid American expidetionary force. Also, some units were doled out to allied divisions when the first American units arrived. And when these units were brought back under American command again they were either undermanned or used to fill new incoming units as a way of bolstering new recruits with frontline experienced troops.
Also, during the war pretty much every FA was horse drawn. Plus the All American Division was made up of several divisions and it was called the Americal Division. If the spelling is correct.
I do have several books about American Units in WW1 give me a couple of days and I can see what I can find out about those units. Like who absorbed who and such okay.

Is there any way to find out what battles he was in or where they were located? His discharge lists him as a mechanic. But I didn't think there were very many vehicles at that time. Or since he was in field artillery would he have been working on the guns...?

Thanks for all the help.

queequeg,

Thanks for the link.

Tell the girls to keep rowing.

Victor, it possible that he worked on the french 75mm. Back then very few units had motorized transportation. And during that time transportation was it's own division.

Also, Victor, was his unit a heavy Artillery unit? if so they did use tractors for those. I will see what my books have in them.

The discharge has his name & 7 digit ID number. Then Co. D. 323rd F. A. (Like others I assume this means Field Artillery)
Knowledge of any vocation, mechanic.
Marksmanship qualification or rating, no records
Horsemanship, not mounted
Physical condition when discharged, normal
Character, excellent
Wounds received in service, no record

That along with what's above is about all there is. This is a Printed document with lines for answers. All the lines are filled in with cursive hand writing. Outside of a couple of inoculation statements and where he is to be discharged to, that's about it.

Thanks for all the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Victor,

Good to see you here!

My Dad did some digging about my grandfather's WWI service as well as my great uncle's WWII service in Italy. The Carlisle Barracks figured heavily in his research.

http://carlislebarracks.carlisle.army.mil/ContactUs.cfm

I'll hit him up for any info he can provide me and pass it on to you.

Hope you are feeling well. </div></div>

I have sent an email. We'll see what happens.