• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

X-Mark Pro Trigger Confusion

Muttt

Sergeant
Minuteman
I recently purchase a new Remington 700 SPS Tactical and it has the new X-Mark Pro Trigger. I've been searching and can't seem to find any kind of useful info pertaining to THIS particular trigger.

I've found several threads on the hide that refer to adjusting the X Mark Pro trigger. But, about two posts into the thread, it becomes appearent that they are posting about at least three different types of trigger. Many of the posts referred to a trigger that had three different adjustment screws that did not have the small allen screw in the actual trigger hook.

So, I would like to start this thread to talk about the X Mark Pro and only the X Mark Pro and what people have learned about it. And, what some of the many gunsmith on here have to say about it.

The trigger that I am specifically referring to is the trigger that comes on the current Remington 700's. It has a small allen screw on the blade of the trigger that supposedly allows the end user to adjust the trigger weight from 3-5 pounds.

It appears that there was another PREVIOUS version of this trigger that was released that was called the X Mark. But, it was before the current X-Mark Pro. I'm not certain whether this is true or not, and any clarification would be fine, so people are not confused by the two if they in fact exist.

I'm really suprised that there is so little information available on this trigger. There are tons and tons of info available for the old Remmy triggers. My X-Mark Pro breaks like glass and has virtually no creep or overtravel. I'm suprised by what I am hearing about them from others. Mine is probably the best factory Remington Trigger I've evey felt.

Anyway, any useful info about these triggers would be appreciated.

Re: X-Mark Pro Trigger Confusion

I believe the original x-mark trigger required removing the barreled action from the stock to make adjustments. As you said, the new version has the adjustment screw on the trigger.

I prefer a well adjusted older remington trigger to either of the x-mark versions.

I have both triggers.the first is as you said it to be.you have to remove the action from the stock to adjust it just as an older remingtom trigger.but will add that it was really easy to adjust.it didn't give much trouble as some of the older triggers have been known to do.

the newer Xmark pro is as you have said it to be.the little set screw is what you use to adjust the trigger pull.I too have found them to brake like glass but I hate the fact of the set screw being in the way of my trigger finger.

have heard that the newer trigger can be set even lower than what is said it can be set too.one said to me one time that if you adjust the set screw in all the way you can then set the trigger like an older trigger.then be able to adjust the trigger with the set screw remington put into the trigger for the owner to use.but I have yet to try this so I cannot say if it works or not.

This is the kind of info I am after ... thanks for the post 5R.

The problem with the other posts was that people were posting about the other triggers and how they adjust. That does me no good, since I have the X Mark Pro. I'd really like to hear more info like this ... about this trigger.

Have you considered shaving off the end of the adjusting screw after you've found where you want it set. That way it wouldn't protrude.

Yeah, for a little while there was a version of the X Mark Pro that was not adjustable from the outside. Had to pull the action to adjust a single screw for pull weight. I have a hunting rig with that trigger, and I was able to safely get it to just above 3 lbs.

Then came what Remington calls the X Mark Pro Adjustable. That's the one you have, where the adjustment screw goes through the trigger blade. I've not heard good things about this one, even saw a picture where the trigger blade broke off right where the hole is for the accessing the adjustment screw. I've got a .223 Tactical with this trigger in it, and never was able to change the weight regardless of how much I tried. That rifle is sporting a Timney by now, and I'm very happy with that. However, just today I read something on this forum that made me look up "Ernie the gunsmith", and how he offers replacement springs for this adjustable X Mark Pro. See this thread for details. That spring replacement apparently safely gets you into the 3-3.5 lbs. range. Caveat: I've only read about it, not tried it.

The best info you can get about either xmark is to replace them with a aftermarket trigger or a older trigger set around 2.5 lbs with little to no creep. - My opinion

I did go to his site by the way ..... www.erniethegunsmith.com/ .... it's only 6.95 plus 3.00 something shipping. It sounds pretty straight forward. I'm taking it over to my buddies tomorrow to play with the trigger. He has a digital trigger pull scale. I'll see where it is and what we can do with it before I order that spring. Hell, for 9 bucks it's worth it if it doesn't work.

My rifle had that trigger, yes it felt great, but very stiff, put a scale on it. Its advertised as factory set at 3lbs, mine was in excess of 5lbs. The adjustment screw in the shoe did nothing. The internal screws could make it stiffer, lock it up, or render it unsafe. Complete p.o.s. Remington said send in the whole rifle, the cost of shipping from AK almost equaled a Timney, from what I'd read when remington replaces the trigger it may or may not be better, so I bought a Timney, far better feel, less creep and actually adjustable in the pull range it claims.

If you don't like the feel of that stupid screw in the shoe digging into your finger, take it out, nothing falls out, as far as I can tell its just there so you think you've done something anyway.

Beef if you pull out the trigger adjusting screw in the shoe the trigger will break inconsistently. I know I have tried it, I've looked into getting the ernie the gunsmith screw as well. Right now mine seems to work prety well and breaks clean. Spent awhile messing with both weight screws though.

I had a xmark pro with the grub screw in the trigger. It was ok, I was able to adjust it myself down to 4lbs, George from GAP said they can adjust them down lower. Mine felt fine just wanted less pull weight. I wouldn't say it broke like glass, I would say candy cane. But for what it is and the pricepoint it's a good trigger. Trigger is one of the most important components for accuracy so make sure it's where you want it with a reasonable pull weight for a tactical rifle (if your shooting with gloves, in the cold etc the pull weight should go up.) The GAP barreled rx that george is working on will have 2 lb pull xmark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tonytx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beef if you pull out the trigger adjusting screw in the shoe the trigger will break inconsistently. I know I have tried it, I've looked into getting the ernie the gunsmith screw as well. Right now mine seems to work prety well and breaks clean. Spent awhile messing with both weight screws though. </div></div>

That's weird because I pulled mine out of the trigger and I don't have any inconsistent trigger breaks. I removed that screw, did an internal trigger adjustment and it's actually not a half bad trigger now. I too agree it's almost like that screw is there just to make you think you are adjusting something.

Only thing you have to watch is that trigger can be kind of weak with that hole in it. Iv'e heard of guys snapping the trigger in half trying to squeeze it not knowing the weapon was on safe. BTW I have a 700varmint

I too had an sps tactical in 223 with the adjustment through the trigger. While it wasn't a bad trigger from the factory I never really liked it. It seemed like no matter what I tried it didn't adjust. I recently sold the gun and used the money to buy an sps tactical aac-sd off this site. The previous owner has already install an old style remington trigger which is what I had planned to do.

I also had a regular sps in 30-06 with the stock off adjustment option. The adjustment on that one worked better.

I like the one that came on my SPS-T. It breaks crisp and consistent. Adjustments have been responsive.

The one thing I hate about it is the location of the screw, and how you can hit it with your trigger finger. It's not really a problem when I shoot however.

The main problem from what I have read is that some have found that adjusting the screw does nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z28kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best info you can get about either xmark is to replace them with a aftermarket trigger or a older trigger set around 2.5 lbs with little to no creep. - My opinion </div></div>

I'm thinking Timney straight trigger on mine.

I will see what I can do with the X-mark first though.

The biggest complaints I've seen posted are ......

-the lbs of the trigger creeps up

-the screw rubs the finger

I haven't seen any problems like the poundage creeping up. Mine actually adjusts from heavy to light. I haven't had a chance to actually measure it with my buddy's gauge ... but I will soon.

I'm wondering if anyone has ground down the adjustment screw so it sits flush with the tigger????

all I can is that mine brakes clean when pulled with each pull.doing anything else to the trigger want happen.if anything I will just put a better one on the action when I can.I will all so add that the pull weight has stayed the same since I adjusted it from takeing the rifel out of the box.

just wish remington would have left the first Xmark alone that trigger was and is a great trigger to adjust.

if its not brake or anything wrong with it don't fix it.or at least thats what dad use to say.

I can attest from experience the fact that the the new X Mark Pro trigger can and will without much pressure break in half at the point of the adjustment screw. Why would anyone, by weakening the trigger with a hole in the center, think that this would not happen is beyond me. Engineering design by a third grader.....I would, after my experince, never trust that trigger NOT to break, it appears to made from"pot metal" after it breaks look at it you will see what I mean. Imagine you are hunting elk on a 7 day hunt with a guide in British Columbia and your trigger breaks at the point of the exterior adjustment screw. better have a bow permit with you, cause you are done...Oh yes, with adjustment it really is not a bad trigger and does feel pretty good, but putting the adjustment screw in the middle of the trigger---give me a break. Nardelli as the new CEO at REmington will certainly take care of these problems I'm sure, just look how much he helped Home Depot. Breaks my Heart-I really like Remingtons and have owned one since the early 60's, a true American Icon. Nardelli is a bottom line guy-Profit over quality and service. Remember him from Chrysler, bang up job there. He doesn't stay anywhere for very long, just long enough to F..K things really up, and then down the road to the next victim.

I have it in a Left Handed 308 LTR. The screw does adjust the pull weight as it should. I have an electronic gauge, and with the screw all the way out it's right around 3.0 lbs. The screw just pushes on a little spring. With the screw inserted just to the point where it contacts the spring (and doesn't feel like it will fall out) I can get a very consistant 3lb 5 oz. It breaks good, but I do wish I could get it down a little bit more.

The comments on the trigger breaking in half do have me thinking about replacing it just for that fact. I would hate to ruin a multi-thousand dollar hunt for 125$....