• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XLR Chassis Stock

Re: XLR Chassis Stock

Just to clarify for those who are waiting, the 591 purchased by OBX is an anodizing blem. We do not currently have any chassis in stock besides the blem's.

Thanks, Kyle ~ XLR

i so can not wait to be done planning/paying for my wedding that is in may, so i ca have my rifle sitting in one of these sexy beasts.

Excellent - I'm planning to bring a few different Barnard actions home with me.

"Kyle is great when it comes to inletting for one off actions that no one else does!"

Yup, because he realizes it it gives him a nice advantage over much of the competition. I ordered my stock back when they were fairly new and the wait was short because I KNEW that once more people got their hands on XLR's the backlog would get pretty long. My 700 LA is awesome... can't wait to order a SA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to clarify for those who are waiting, the 591 purchased by OBX is an anodizing blem. We do not currently have any chassis in stock besides the blem's.

Thanks, Kyle ~ XLR </div></div>

Oops sorry forgot to mention that. Do you do anodizing in house?

I have been part shopping for my first rifle build and had a question. On the XLR site it says that the stock does not need to be bedded. Is that still true for pushing out to longer ranges such as 1000+? If that is true can someone explain the difference to me? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

OBX, Yes, All our anodizing is done in house.

Milhouse, No this chassis does not need to be bedded regardless of range. Our inlets are not v-block chassis but instead we take the time to inlet specifically for the intended inlet. I have never seen anyone improve their accuracy by skim-bedding our chassis. This is a very accurate chassis and although a bit on the heavy side for BR is even used by some shooters for bench rest comp guns. I never bed any of my personal chassis including my Chey-Tac and 338. My lifetime 5-shot group average for my current 6.5x47 is .377 MOA. All of which was shot off a bipod.

Hope this helps.

-Kyle ~ XLR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OBX, Yes, All our anodizing is done in house.

Milhouse, No this chassis does not need to be bedded regardless of range. Our inlets are not v-block chassis but instead we take the time to inlet specifically for the intended inlet. I have never seen anyone improve their accuracy by skim-bedding our chassis. This is a very accurate chassis and although a bit on the heavy side for BR is even used by some shooters for bench rest comp guns. I never bed any of my personal chassis including my Chey-Tac and 338. My lifetime 5-shot group average for my current 6.5x47 is .377 MOA. All of which was shot off a bipod.

Hope this helps.

-Kyle ~ XLR </div></div>

One last question how many parts does the chassis break down into for anodizing? Looks like 6.

I am planning on calling to get one on order for my Savage 10fcp-K by the looks of it I am going to have to cut the end off of my EGW 20Moa base to fit in front of the handguard lock clamp thingy is that right? Thanks awesome product!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: millertime2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planning on calling to get one on order for my Savage 10fcp-K by the looks of it I am going to have to cut the end off of my EGW 20Moa base to fit in front of the handguard lock clamp thingy is that right? Thanks awesome product!!</div></div>

Yes, you will have to cut off the tip of the EGW base. Farrell bases fit perfect though.

Birchwood Casey Flat Black touch up pen matches the finish on the EGW base nicely if you already have the base. It's not a big operation to cut it off and sand the edges a little.

I just went with the Farrell for an extra 10moa.

Photo113.jpg

My 40X in 7.62x51 in it's XLR. It seems to do ok, I am still working on it. I re-torqued everything today. It grouped ok on the last outing, but for some reason had a couple of screws way to tight and others loosened.
Photo118.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lonegunman762x51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My 40X in 7.62x51 in it's XLR. It seems to do ok, I am still working on it. I re-torqued everything today. It grouped ok on the last outing, but for some reason had a couple of screws way to tight and others loosened.
</div></div>

Which screws were loose, if you don't mind me asking?

any Savage short action blems for sale? will be paint so I dont care

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lonegunman762x51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Which screws were loose, if you don't mind me asking? </div></div>

For some reason two screws on the front scope ring loosened up and one of the bolts that holds the ring to the base was so tight I was amazed it did not snap. I didn't tighten anything that hard, I use a torque wrench on everything.

When I originally assembled it I had always planned to fire a hundred rounds through it and then go through everything again. I went a little long on that plan.

We put a woodstove in our shop this year, so it was toasty and well lit and the Stupor Bowl was on TV, so I went out and enjoyed a day cleaning gear and tweaking on my toys.

Hi Guys ...

I'm looking to make a long range bolt rifle my next build ... Was considering .308 caliber and the XLR ...

Questions ... what trigger is recommended and where can I find a 20" stainless bull barrel to accommodate?

Do all of you simple purchase the rifle that has the barrel you're after or can one find the barrel assembly by itself?

Any info on what all would be needed to complete an XLR .308 build would be appreciated for this rookie ...

Thanks

Guys with the short action chassis and non-folding tactical stocks: do you have to lower your cheekpiece to remove the bolt? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim_in_NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Guys ...

I'm looking to make a long range bolt rifle my next build ... Was considering .308 caliber and the XLR ...

Questions ... what trigger is recommended and where can I find a 20" stainless bull barrel to accommodate?

Do all of you simple purchase the rifle that has the barrel you're after or can one find the barrel assembly by itself?

Any info on what all would be needed to complete an XLR .308 build would be appreciated for this rookie ...

Thanks </div></div>

You can purchase a rifle that already has a bull barrel like a Savage 10/12 or Remington Varmint/SPS/AAC.

Or

Have a gunsmith build a a barreled action with a custom barrel. I prefer this route because a custom barrel will usually outshoot a factory barrel. Theres a bunch of gunsmiths on this forum that can help you out.

Where are you at in NC?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys with the short action chassis and non-folding tactical stocks: do you have to lower your cheekpiece to remove the bolt? Thanks. </div></div>

A lot is going to depend on your length of pull and how high the comb is set.

The one we have here does not have to be moved to remove the bolt. The bolt shroud has enough room to slide under the comb when I release the bolt. I can then pivot the bolt head to the side and move the bolt forward out of the way. If I had 1/2" less LOP or lower comb, then I would have gone with the folding mechanism to facilitate bolt removal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys with the short action chassis and non-folding tactical stocks: do you have to lower your cheekpiece to remove the bolt? Thanks. </div></div>

You can run the shoulder pad up and the cheekpiece up and it might go under the cheeckpiece.

but as LW says depends on your length of pull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim_in_NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Guys ...

Thanks </div></div>

You can purchase a rifle that already has a bull barrel like a Savage 10/12 or Remington Varmint/SPS/AAC.

Or

Have a gunsmith build a a barreled action with a custom barrel. I prefer this route because a custom barrel will usually outshoot a factory barrel. Theres a bunch of gunsmiths on this forum that can help you out.

Where are you at in NC? </div></div>

Thanks ... I'm in Raleigh and love the OBX ...

Any Blems available for a Savage Model 12 LRP?

Thanks,

Remnar

Is it possible for anyone who has this to snap a pic of this with an m4 collapsible stock on it.

I love the looks of the tac 21 but I assume the xlr is more accurate.

Does anyone know if a 12" handguard means 12" of JUST handguard--or 12" of handguard including what appears to be another 1" or so where the chassis bolts together?

I'm trying to get the total length between the red lines. Trying to know how much of my barrel is going to stick out so I know whether it's worth it to get it spiral fluted or not...

large.jpg

Parker

Q & A time from another stupid NOOOOB!!!

can any one tell me what the wait time is for an XLR order to be processed??

I'm on the fence about what action brand I'm going to build,..

I'm partial to ether a Rem-700 or a Savage?, a 300 win mag is my choice of caliber,. any good or bad on ether?,. please chime in with what's a better option and why?..

also 24" or 26" barrel?,. what benefits or draw backs to a 2" differentiation is there??,. my end use is obviously long range target but I don't know what 24" vs. 26" would be in the big picture?

I've e-mailed Kyle once or twice, very accommodating replies and I'm comfortable doing business with XLR from up here in Canada,. I just am tied between choice of rifle brand?

sincerely "a ton of questions from a stupid noob!!"

OH!?!?!,... and I can't find a weight comparison,. I'm talking fully finished rig,.

in contrast a 300 Savage 110BA is 14-15LBS,. whats a XLR total up at?

I'm guessing 10 - 11LBS?,. any help?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El'Choppahead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q & A time from another stupid NOOOOB!!!

I'm partial to ether a Rem-700 or a Savage?, a 300 win mag is my choice of caliber,. any good or bad on ether?,. please chime in with what's a better option and why?..

also 24" or 26" barrel?,. what benefits or draw backs to a 2" differentiation is there??,. my end use is obviously long range target but I don't know what 24" vs. 26" would be in the big picture?

I've e-mailed Kyle once or twice, very accommodating replies and I'm comfortable doing business with XLR from up here in Canada,. I just am tied between choice of rifle brand?

sincerely "a ton of questions from a stupid noob!!" </div></div>

10 weeks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El'Choppahead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q & A time from another stupid NOOOOB!!!

You want us to build your rifle ;o)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hider's snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You want us to build your rifle ;o) </div></div>

no?,. I am asking some opinions from people who've may had a thought on quality, or experience with why one may be less desirable then another?, such as trigger response or clean ability etc?..

I don't see I've asked any super stoopid questions?,. can YOU answer the 24 vs. 26 question?

Get a Tikka T3 with a 26" barrel. Kyle inlets for them, and IMO they are a better action than Savage or Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El'Choppahead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OH!?!?!,... and I can't find a weight comparison,. I'm talking fully finished rig,.

in contrast a 300 Savage 110BA is 14-15LBS,. whats a XLR total up at?

I'm guessing 10 - 11LBS?,. any help?</div></div>

My .300 WM Savage in an XLR with a NF NXS Scope is around 15 lbs.

Does anyone know if the buffer tube can be taken off and an after market added?

Like adding an enidine shot shock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jj302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I did this on my 300wm.
Rifle has a vortex PST now.
XLR2.jpg

</div></div>

Would you say the shot force helps a lot?

I stii haven't decided if I should buy a tac 21 or xlr

Yes, tremendously. I haven't fired it back to back with anything exactly comparable yet, but my father and I both agreed if felt similar to an M1 carbine or 7.62x39 sks. I'm not a very big guy and I feel like I could shoot it flinch free all day. Its a push, not a punch.

I'll say this... I've considered other stocks for my next build for the sake of "variety", but I still keep coming back to the XLR and plan on ordering one of the new lightweight carbon 700 SA stocks this summer. They have a backlog for a very good reason, and the wait is worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jj302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I did this on my 300wm.
Rifle has a vortex PST now.
XLR2.jpg

</div></div>
I really can't tell, what color is that one?

I plan on getting one of these for my Remington 700 (new build). If I put a 10 or 20 Moa sloap rail on the action, will a scope with a 56mm bell clear the hand guard where it bolts to the action portion of the chassis? The connecting area looks rather high on the top.

...or is it just a matter of getting the correct height rings?

Thanks,
Steve

And does anyone know what aftermarket rails will work?

After seeing this thread I'm 90% sure I'm getting one I just want to sort out the small details.