• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XM-3 Rifle

I'd be inclined to think that they USMC wouldn't part with it. Makes me wonder if it is a military rifle or clone.

The XM-3 is commercially available from Iron Brigade Armory so it's not like they are selling gov't property.

I meant that they wouldn't be inclined to part with a functional rifle that can still be issued and rebuilt if necessary. Of course, they could've decided that they wanted uniformity of training. I'm just speculating.

I have seen and talked with the Iron Brigade guys and Chandler quite a few times over the years. About 25 years ago they would have Carlos with them at local gun shows, at least I was told it was him, apparently as a business draw. Decent guys, I must say. I am not sure why CMP would sale their stuff.

Reactions: onetopgun
The CMP gets most for their stuff from the Aniston Army Depot, it could have been a weapon the Army tested, it could have ended up at the Depot by mistake or the Depot maybe the designated repair facility to do the repairs/upgrades or disposal on these. The XM3 was a DARPA program rifle so with out a copy of the purchasing documents who knows what the real deal is. I'd think if the weapon is not military that the CMP will indicate that when it goes to auction, if it goes to auction. They have had to return items because it was not allowed to be sold to the public.

So, it's a short action 700 that they sent to Hart barrels to have it trued with a hart barrel installed and put into a McMillan stock. Add the night vision mount and 20 moa steel rail and badger bolt knob.

Edit to change the stock from B&C M40

Last edited:
I have seen and talked with the Iron Brigade guys and Chandler quite a few times over the years. About 25 years ago they would have Carlos with them at local gun shows, at least I was told it was him, apparently as a business draw. Decent guys, I must say. I am not sure why CMP would sale their stuff.

I met Carlos a few times at the gun shows in Virginia, on a couple of those occasions, Norm Chandler was with him. Norm seemed like a nice guy, like any good Marine, he was very straight forward.

It's a Trued 700 with Hart barrel Titanium Devcon bedded in a McMillan A1-3 and has Badger lug, Badger BM, Badger bolt knob, Surefire Muzzle Brake, and IBA NV Mount. They are a little pricey, but shoot one hole with Blackhills 175.

So, it's a short action 700 that they sent to Hart barrels to have it trued with a hart barrel installed and put into a B&C M40 stockQUOTE]

They do all their work in house, nothing is sent to Hart for work. Also, the stock is a McMillan A6 (A1-3) stock. Just striving for accurate information.

Last edited:
So, it's a short action 700 that they sent to Hart barrels to have it trued with a hart barrel installed and put into a B&C M40 stockQUOTE]

They do all their work in house, nothing is sent to Hart for work. Also, the stock is a McMillan A6 (A1-3) stock. Just striving for accurate information.

My mistake.
I know they were selling a very similar rifle through Remington that was a B&C.
When did they start doing work in house?

They have always done their own work. Not sure exactly how the rumor about them sending stuff to Hart got started, but nonetheless it is incorrect. IBA XM-3's are expensive compared to what other smiths can offer for a similar rifle, but some collectors want to get as close to the original as possible. This auction will definitely be interesting. After all, this is a precision weapon system that's less than a decade old (and has night vision!), unlike the other vintage CMP offerings. If you want "the real deal 21st century USMC combat used sniper rifle," I guess now is your chance!

Last edited:
It's a Trued 700 with Hart barrel Titanium Devcon bedded in a McMillan A1-3 and has Badger lug, Badger BM, Badger bolt knob, Surefire Muzzle Brake, and IBA NV Mount. They are a little pricey, but shoot one hole with Blackhills 175.

A little pricey?
Hell, you can get two GAP Gladius rifles for the price of one of those.
I don't think they are twice a good as a GAP.

I'm confused. Is there an auction? Or is it just a forum topic and we're jumping the gun?

I'm confused. Is there an auction? Or is it just a forum topic and we're jumping the gun?

They tend to tease the very high value items like this, take their recent 1903A4 sale for example. Judging from previous experience, more than likely prepping it for auction right now. If it does pop up, could be soon, could be a month from now.

Thanks. Someone, please post a link here if and when you see it!

Can Do, I'm going by the south store tomorrow and I'll ask if I can speak to the armorer that handles the auction items. I've known him for some time but have not spoken in a year or more so this rifle is as good a reason to check in on him as any other. Ive got a good friend that works at the south store but he's at Camp Perry already for the National Matches so he's no help for info on this rifle.

Thanks. Someone, please post a link here if and when you see it!

Never heard of the XM-3 rifle. Is it so old, that's why it's so "valuable" or "expensive"? The rifle looked pretty beat up, but looked to still have modern equipment on it, so is the base rifle vintage? Looked like a neat rifle, but no more so than many of the other ones I've seen here, certainly doesn't look THAT old to me, IMO.

Never heard of the XM-3 rifle. Is it so old, that's why it's so "valuable" or "expensive"? The rifle looked pretty beat up, but looked to still have modern equipment on it, so is the base rifle vintage? Looked like a neat rifle, but no more so than many of the other ones I've seen here, certainly doesn't look THAT old to me, IMO.

The rifle is not very old but I am not sure of the exact age. Probably within the last decade or less. The rifle was an experiment to create a lighter sniper rifle, much like the guys on here do when running 18" and 20" .308s. The rifle has a shorter, lighter barrel than the M40A5. The idea was that the current school of thought is that a 25" M40 contour barrel was overkill for such a round and they could still get the performance they need in a lighter, more handy weapon. Yet another reason why I can't understand them getting rid of it.

54 of them were shipped to the Marines in 2006, after DARPA testing. The XM-3 was the first precision weapon the Marines had that was both night vision and suppression capable, not to mention that IBA also cut some of the gun's weight. The receiver is not one that was rebuilt from an M40, as I noted above, they are all in the S653xxxx range (the 54 USMC rifles are not sequentially serial numbered). It is "valuable" and "expensive" because some of these rifles are still in use by Scout Snipers, it has exceptional provenance from the CMP (and the gun's logbook), a look at the rifles's logbook could also document and prove recent combat use, and it is the only precision weapon system that is contemporary to the current wars that has been offered for sale by the government to citizens. Those reasons are what makes this rifle extremely rare, valuable and highly collectible. Can wait to see what it goes for!

Anybody ever considered why it is that a Remington needs to be trued, barrel to reciever? Anybody ever consider that a Savage, which can produce way under MOA out of the box and for a much beter price, need no such custom and expensive work? It has been this way for as long as I can remember. I have talked to many custom builders and they all say that a Remington will need custom trueing to meet potential. I like the Rem. 700s, 40X etc. but they are not the best deal for the money IMO.

54 of them were shipped to the Marines in 2006, after DARPA testing. The XM-3 was the first precision weapon the Marines had that was both night vision and suppression capable, not to mention that IBA also cut some of the gun's weight. The receiver is not one that was rebuilt from an M40, as I noted above, they are all in the S653xxxx range (the 54 USMC rifles are not sequentially serial numbered). It is "valuable" and "expensive" because some of these rifles are still in use by Scout Snipers, it has exceptional provenance from the CMP (and the gun's logbook), a look at the rifles's logbook could also document and prove recent combat use, and it is the only precision weapon system that is contemporary to the current wars that has been offered for sale by the government to citizens. Those reasons are what makes this rifle extremely rare, valuable and highly collectible. Can wait to see what it goes for!

CMP auctions can bring silly money. I bet this will be no exception. When an M40 can bring $36K watch out.

I recently acquired a Savage 11VT .223. It is the fourth Savage rifle in my current inventory. Just like the other three, it performs impeccably.

Subsequently, I divested three of my Remington 700's. This is not an indictment of Remington by any means, I liked/like my 700s.

I just needed the space, and I am honestly happier with my Savages, and can accomplish more with them.

Greg

Last edited:
CMP auctions can bring silly money. I bet this will be no exception. When an M40 can bring $36K watch out.

Yep, lots of collectors with deep pockets purchase from the CMP because of the provenance in buying directly from the government. Another reason the auctions bring big money is because the money the CMP raises from their sales keeps them operational. Back in the 90's the Clinton administration turned the DMC into the CMP, effectively removing all of its Departmental funding. So remember, every dollar spent with the CMP keeps them around to promote civilian marksmanship and surplus firearm sales! Hopefully they receive some good funding from this sale (assuming the XM-3 does go to auction)!

The Rifle is valuable because of its provenance, it is/was an issue (albeit XM program) rifle, it would make a interesting historic addition to a serious collector. But the PVS 22 is worth $6-8K

Say Mr Marty, or Mr Kraig, I know this is off-topic but have either of yall(or anyone else here) ever shot one of Grunig & Elmiger`s rifles? They have a stellar reputation in Europe but you hardly ever hear of them in America. Just wondering how they perform?

Anybody ever considered why it is that a Remington needs to be trued, barrel to reciever? Anybody ever consider that a Savage, which can produce way under MOA out of the box and for a much beter price, need no such custom and expensive work? It has been this way for as long as I can remember. I have talked to many custom builders and they all say that a Remington will need custom trueing to meet potential. I like the Rem. 700s, 40X etc. but they are not the best deal for the money IMO.

Not to mention, it's a bolt/barrel/mag change to change from 5.56-.7.62 (or 6.8 SPC/6.5 G) that can be done at a field armory (read: bench in a tent) instead of a precision shop.

The XM-3 concept rifle looks pretty cool, IMHO. I like their thinking about "overkill" on a 26" barrel for a .308. Wonder why this idea never really caught on more so in the military?

I spent half the day at the CMP store today and it was a mad house. I never got to ask about the XM3, I could not find the person I know whom works there that would have an idea about the details behind the rifle. The store was packed, they had put out some Garands and M1903a3's and the word got out. I will see if I can get my friend at Camp Perry to ask about the rifle. On a positive note I bought two M1's, one 1903a3, four Anschutz barreled actions 1807 and 1827, three M1 receivers, and about 2000 rounds of 30-06 AP ammo. Just another day paradise. I'll post any details I find out about the rifle when I get them.

In 2007 when I purchased my Surefire Can from IBA, (they built my M40A3) I had them install the Surefire Brake. My rifle came back as the XM-3 with an 18.5" barrel. I love this rifle, and it shoots great. It just doesn't have the AMPVS-22 or 27, yet! Hope someone keeps tabs on this CMP auction gun. Would be cool to know where this one has been!. J

It hit the auction yesterday. It started at $1 and jumped up to $9601 over night. It's got 20 days left. I got a feeling this rifle is going to fund a lot of CMP shooting programs.

They have always done their own work. Not sure exactly how the rumor about them sending stuff to Hart got started, but nonetheless it is incorrect.....

Respectfully: I know for a fact that Hart (in New York) used to do a lot of the machine work for IBA. My eyes, not hear-say.

Heard some chatter on the CMP Forum that the servers went down for a time and that is causing speculation that the heavy hitters couldnt get in. I know I tried to check into the auction pages last night to see what was going on and I got a no service message.

If true good for the buyer bummer for the CMP.

I guess the rumor was true of sorts...

Server Maintenance - CMP Forums

Heard some chatter on the CMP Forum that the servers went down for a time and that is causing speculation that the heavy hitters couldnt get in. I know I tried to check into the auction pages last night to see what was going on and I got a no service message.

If true good for the buyer bummer for the CMP.

I guess the rumor was true of sorts...

Server Maintenance - CMP Forums

Who says there is no god! ;)

Nope, I believe that is who would be praising divine providence.
Love it when an ordinary ( relatively ) guy gets over!

I hope the ordinary guys response was not

"What do you mean i won???!!!! That thing was supposed to go for $30K!!!!! I just wanted to brag at the club that I dropped out at $16K! I havent got a pot to piss in!!!!"

I suppose IBA wont be raising prices from the auction result their deals, without all the accesories this one had. aint such a bargain.