• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XM3 clone build.

Redwolf505

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2024
Virginia
I am new to this community so I have reached out to a few members for guidance and insight. I started some research on a build I am interested in and almost made a fatal mistake. I almost ordered a built XM3 DARPA clone from BG Defense (Type A Rifles). The price I was given was $6,900 without the needed scope, suppressor or cheek pad. I am thankful that I reached out to Ryan (USMCSGT0331) because he STRONGLY stated not to pay the $4,000 one material cost. After watching a video about Type A Rifle clone I was led to believe that they had the only McMillan stocks for this build.
XM3 clone01.PNG

Last edited:
Are you still looking for a stock and parts? McMillan has a stock with EFR for sale at the moment. They won’t tell me who made the EFR. I just purchased the one that didn’t come with the EFR

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
As the following picture shows, that is not accurate. Today I purchased a McMillan XM3 A1-3 stock and will soon have bolt, action, and correct trigger guard for less than $2,500. Total build should be under $5,000 with smithing fees. Why is Type A Rifle Co charging $3-4K over material costs? Also, is a detachable magazine, clone correct?
XM3 Mcmillan stock.PNG

Last edited:
As the following picture shows, that is not accurate. Today I purchased a McMillan XM3 A1-3 stock and will soon have bolt, action, and correct trigger guard for less than $2,500. Total build should be under $5,000 will smith fees. Why is Type A Rifle Co charging $3-4K over material costs? Also, is a detachable magazine clone correct?
On the detachable magazine you would have to ask Ryan. But I have read on here that one of the prototype rifles had one on it.

From what I have seen, the rail over the front scope ring is also not clone correct.
XM3 clone03.PNG

Not to mention the cheek pad that is clearly OD green not woodland camo as Type A Rifle provides. It almost seems criminal to me that a rifle manufacturer would charge the same price to assemble and smith a build as the total price of all parts required for the build.
XM3 clone04.PNG
XM3 clone06.PNG

Last edited:
If you want to look at a bunch of actual XM3 photos go to CMPs auction site search title XM-3 then look for the completed tab to the right and it will give you a bunch of rifles you can look at.

yeah the front EFR was for the night vision. If it has the diving board ring it would have been for the use of a Raptar rangefinder. But I have no idea if they were used or not

So I did mine for like 3500 if I remember correctly not counting the can. The hardest part to find will be arguably the Surefire Flash hider and can. Chad @LRI made some CMP mounts, which I have one just need to get him to install it. Steve Riechart did have a prototype with Badger M5 and a fluted barrel IIRC.

IMG_5870.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful build. I did read 2 prototypes had fluted barrels, also IBA who made the rifles for DARPA, experimented with barrel lengths to maintain the accuracy of the USMC M40. Stunning that the MX3 was designed and being shipped to the Marines in 12 months..... (2006 I think).

On the detachable magazine you would have to ask Ryan. But I have read on here that one of the prototype rifles had one on it.

IBA made numerous different prototype rifles, such as the XM1 and XM33. They possibly used a detachable bottom metal on one of their shop prototypes, but as far as I know, none of the USMC issued XM3's ever had detachable bottom metal.

yeah the front EFR was for the night vision. If it has the diving board ring it would have been for the use of a Raptar rangefinder. But I have no idea if they were used or not

None of the issued USMC XM3's had "diving boards" on the top of the front scope ring. Never.

BG Defense/Type A Rifles just made up some nonsense (detachable bottom metal, diving board, etc.) with the rifle they're using for social media promotions. They took liberties with the rifle, no one should ever view as a correct clone. That company is charging about $7,000 or an XM3 that has maybe $3,000 in parts. Typical gunsmithing fees for this type of build is usually about $1,000, but they're charging $3,500+ or so in fees.

That's absolutely ridiculous, and that company should be avoided at all costs. They're trying to charge Tac Ops money for a far inferior rifle. They also make it seem like they're the only ones who can get XM3 stocks from McMillan, which just isn't remotely true, as previous posts in this thread have proven. And they're not even using the correct old S prefix serial number receivers or even the correct muzzle device on their rifles.

Long story short, don't fall for the BG Defense/Type A Rifles bullshit $7,000 XM3, when one can be built for almost half the price! Reproduction parts are now available, and there's plenty of highly reputable gunsmiths that can build the clone rifle for far less than this company is charging.

I spent a few hours helping @Redwolf505 create an XM3 build list and helping him with sourcing the correct parts he needs for the build. I highly recommend that people spend the time to pick up the parts and just build the clone themselves. That way you'll save thousands of dollars by not purchasing through ridiculous gougers. Stay away from the scammers who are trying to take advantage of this community.

Edit to add the link below. RWS is a very well respected gunsmith and Robert built this XM3 clone using a few original parts and even an S prefix serial number receiver. The price for just the rifle is $5,000, which is about $2,000 cheaper than the BG Defense/Type A Rifles XM3 (and their overpriced clone doesn't even have the rare parts that the RWS rifle has!). Please do your own research, don't buy anything from a company that is massively price gouging.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/sold-rw-snyder-custom-guns-xm3-clone.7166846/

Last edited:
Steve Riechart did have a prototype with Badger M5 and a fluted barrel IIRC.
Are there any photo's of a real USMC XM3 with a Badger M5 bottom metal with detachable magazines? Not speculation, but an actual photo of one? I've never seen evidence of this on an issued rifle. Steve's XM3 did have a fluted barrel and takedown stock (1 of 3 takedown stocks, Steve has 1 and 2 sold at the CMP). Here's Steve's XM3, there's no magazines here and looking at the location of the pin in the side of the bottom metal, it appears to be an M4 (higher pin position than the M5).

1000010553.jpg

If anyone has any evidence of an actual USMC XM3 with a detachable bottom metal, please post some photos. Until there's actual proof, the M5 on issued XM3's is a myth. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this, since it would add an interesting variation to our clone builds.

Reactions: Charlie112
Are there any photo's of a real USMC XM3 with a Badger M5 bottom metal with detachable magazines? Not speculation, but an actual photo of one? I've never seen evidence of this on an issued rifle. Steve's XM3 did have a fluted barrel and takedown stock (1 of 3 takedown stocks, Steve has 1 and 2 sold at the CMP). Here's Steve's XM3, there's no magazines here and looking at the location of the pin in the side of the bottom metal, it appears to be an M4 (higher pin position than the M5).

View attachment 8399007

If anyone has any evidence of an actual USMC XM3 with a detachable bottom metal, please post some photos. Until there's actual proof, the M5 on issued XM3's is a myth. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this, since it would add an interesting variation to our clone builds.
Never an issued rifle to my knowledge. I went to his insta looking i could’ve sworn he has one on his profile. I’ll see if i can find it. He had lots of photos i lost patience from scrolling.

Reactions: themightytimmah
Yes, stock, bottom metal, trigger? Is there any market for the barrel? Stock less than $200? Barrel less than $100?

thats my luck also!

@USMCSGT0331 The only one with a badger dbm I've seen was a guy from m40rifle.net who purchased a CMP prototype with the dbm. I modeled mine after that one but I havent see any in service pics like there are of the fluted barrel variants.

IBA made numerous different prototype rifles, such as the XM1 and XM33. They possibly used a detachable bottom metal on one of their shop prototypes, but as far as I know, none of the USMC issued XM3's ever had detachable bottom metal.

None of the issued USMC XM3's had "diving boards" on the top of the front scope ring. Never.

BG Defense/Type A Rifles just made up some nonsense (detachable bottom metal, diving board, etc.) with the rifle they're using for social media promotions. They took liberties with the rifle, no one should ever view as a correct clone. That company is charging about $7,000 or an XM3 that has maybe $3,000 in parts. Typical gunsmithing fees for this type of build is usually about $1,000, but they're charging $3,500+ or so in fees.

That's absolutely ridiculous, and that company should be avoided at all costs. They're trying to charge Tac Ops money for a far inferior rifle. They also make it seem like they're the only ones who can get XM3 stocks from McMillan, which just isn't remotely true, as previous posts in this thread have proven. And they're not even using the correct old S prefix serial number receivers or even the correct muzzle device on their rifles.

Long story short, don't fall for the BG Defense/Type A Rifles bullshit $7,000 XM3, when one can be built for almost half the price! Reproduction parts are now available, and there's plenty of highly reputable gunsmiths that can build the clone rifle for far less than this company is charging.

I spent a few hours helping @Redwolf505 create an XM3 build list and helping him with sourcing the correct parts he needs for the build. I highly recommend that people spend the time to pick up the parts and just build the clone themselves. That way you'll save thousands of dollars by not purchasing through ridiculous gougers. Stay away from the scammers who are trying to take advantage of this community.

Edit to add the link below. RWS is a very well respected gunsmith and Robert built this XM3 clone using a few original parts and even an S prefix serial number receiver. The price for just the rifle is $5,000, which is about $2,000 cheaper than the BG Defense/Type A Rifles XM3 (and their overpriced clone doesn't even have the rare parts that the RWS rifle has!). Please do your own research, don't buy anything from a company that is massively price gouging.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/sold-rw-snyder-custom-guns-xm3-clone.7166846/

An XM3 "inspired" build by TacOps would be really cool though 😎

Last edited:
thats my luck also!

@USMCSGT0331 The only one with a badger dbm I've seen was a guy from m40rifle.net who purchased a CMP prototype with the dbm. I modeled mine after that one but I havent see any in service pics like there are of the fluted barrel variants.

I've followed all of the CMP auction sales for XM3's, and they've never sold one at auction that has detachable magazines. I know some details about the XM3's that the CMP received, and they never once mentioned to me that any of the rifles they received have detachable magazines. I'm even the person who told the CMP auction people that USMC XM3's were being shipped to them. They told me a lot about the rifles they received, but not a single time did they ever say that any of the XM3's had magazines. So, if you remember someone somewhere buying an XM3 with magazines from the CMP, why is it that they never told me about that rifle (even though I have far more detailed information about specific rifles they received) and why has that mystery rifle never been seen on their auction site (even though the CMP auctions have has 2 takedown rifles)? All of the XM3's the CMP has ever taken possession of have been USMC rifles. So, there aren't any IBA prototypes at the CMP, unless it was an issued USMC rifle, like the 2 they sold with takedown stocks.

I was also on the M40 Rifle forum, but I've never seen pics a military XM3 with detachable magazines. However, Remington produced a few XM3's at their Custom Shop many years after the original IBA rifles were made, and those rifles had magazines. I remember seeing photos of the Remington XM3's on the M40 Rifle forum, and those had detachable magazines, but they weren't IBA/USMC rifles. You could have seen photos of the Remington rifles over on that forum as well, and maybe that's what you're remembering. Here's an article that reviews one of these Remington XM3's:

https://shwat.com/i-shot-a-10000-rifle-today-and-some-other-cool-guns-too/

This is not a real IBA XM3, this is a Remington Custom Shop XM3:

Remington-XM-3-Review.jpg

I've seen plenty of people confuse the Remington XM3's with the issued IBA XM3's. The rifle in the link has a camo stock, but Remington did produce a few with the correct green stock. Pretty much everyone I've ever talked to about XM3's with detachable bottom metal have actually been referring to these Remington built rifles.

IBA had numerous prototypes of various rifles. Talking to Norm Chandler, he was a proponent of keeping things simple, that's why he used a stock with almost no adjustments and why he used an M4 bottom metal with solid floorplate. There's photos of all the XM3's sold at CMP auction on the CMP's auction site. There are no USMC photos of an XM3 in the field using magazines. I even have photos of 1 of the 3 IBA XM33 prototype rifles, and I own a Manners stock that has inletting for an XM33. I also have photos of an IBA XM1 that was used in combat by Marines, and it even has a few skulls drawn in sharpie on the stock to ahow that rifle's kill count. There's a photo of an XM2 rifle in the testing documents. I have information about these IBA rifles that are far more rare than the 52 USMC XM3's and I have photo evidence to show that these rifles actually exist. And yet no one can provide me with a photo of a USMC IBA XM3 with M5 bottom metal and detachable magazines. And when a photo of one does pop up, it's 100% of the time a Remington Custom Shop built rifle.

Like I said before, I'd love to be wrong about this because that would add an interesting variation to our collections. Hell, it would give me an excuse to build one! However, I've never seen any indication that there were ever XM3's with detachable magazines. And the Corps certainly didn't field any with magazines, and even the DARPA tested prototypes didn't have magazines. We have photos of a USMC XM3 with a fluted barrel and photos of 3 USMC XM3's with a removable butt, but there isn't a single photo that shows a USMC XM3 with detachable magazines. There's literally nothing to suggest that any XM3's used magazines, except for the Remington Custom Shop rifles and clones that collectors have built (one of them is even in this thread.

Rumors are easy to spead, and people love to believe everything they read online. Once you get people saying that there were USMC XM3's or prototypes with detachable magazines, people take that as gospel. What I'm asking for is proof. No more speculation on this subject, this needs to have proper documentation in order for it to be true. Even if IBA did make one single XM3 prototype with detachable magazines, why bother cloning it? They weren't issued that way, and there's zero proof that any of the USMC XM3's were like that, so why bother cloning a one-off rifle? Also, the DARPA tested prototype XM3's had M4 bottom metal with a solid floorplate. We know for a fact that DARPA didn't even test an XM3 with magazines, they tested XM3's with a solid bottom metal.

You can read about the actual DARPA and IBA testing in the PDF's below. I encourage all of you guys to read these documents. No where is there any mention of an XM3 with detachable magazines, there's only XM3's with the M4 bottom metal. So, no USMC issued XM3's with magazines, and no prototype DARPA tested XM3's with magazines. The difference between an XM2 and an XM3 was a 20" barrel vs an 18" barrel. That's it, nothing else. IBA made 5 different XM rifles, so possibly one of those had a bottom metal with detachable magazines, but it for sure wasn't the XM1, the XM2, or the XM3.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...ifle_accy__crane_report_04-18-07-pdf.7823288/

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/attachments/darpa_iron_brigade_report__final_-pdf.7823289/

As far as I'm concerned, until real proof of USMC issued IBA XM3 with detachable magazines actually surfaces for all of us to see, this discussion is settled. I'm not trying to be an ass about it, all I'm asking for is proof, and I just added a ton of proof to this post that the XM3's never had detachable magazines. As a community we pride ourselves with proper research and building the most historically accurate clone rifles that we possibly can. We need to stick to the actual information that we have on hand, and not rely on speculation or "somebody saw something somewhere." Nothing gets a pass because it's cool or adds increased functionality to the rifle, we rely on actual proof. If people want to build their XM3's with M5 bottom metal and use magazines, then go right on ahead and do so. But don't say that was how the rifles were issued, because right now there is nothing that proves it to be true.

If someone can prove me wrong and actually send me photos of a verifiable government issued IBA XM3 with detachable magazines being used by Marine Scout Snipers (in the field, in training, in the armory, or wherever), I'll give that person a gift from my personal collection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrb572
I wish I had proof and a photo for Ryan that there were XM3's issued with detachable mags but there is not any (I only want the gift from Ryan's personal collection, oh well). That being said, I want to thank BADGER ORDNANCE for being such an upstanding company. I bought their M4 trigger guard on 4/17/24 (2 days ago) for $350... it went on sale for $250 yesterday... today after a very professional and short call they refunded me the $100. What a breath of fresh air to have companies out there like BADGER ORDNANCE with that level of fairness and truly outstanding customer service.

I came really close to building a full clone, and then welched out anyways because I’m a lefty and it wouldn’t be accurate. A couple of neat learnings along the way though and I built a rifle that was conceptually similar (short, handy, suppressed) when it was all said and done.

One interesting thing I found out is McMillan will only do a solid olive if you order an exact clone of the USMC stock - they won’t do it on an A1-3 with an adjustable comb or a different swivel/flush cup configuration. Josh from McM was very passionate about the clone community - nice guy and a wealth of knowledge over the phone. He sent me their order sheet and it’s as is below:

If you can source the flash hider now you’re almost home free - that’s the tough part now that LongRifles makes an exact replica of the IBA front mounts (which were trading hands for $600+ if you could find them).

1713576728882.png

Last edited:
I came really close to building a full clone, and then welched out anyways because I’m a lefty and it wouldn’t be accurate. A couple of neat learnings along the way though and I built a rifle that was conceptually similar (short, handy, suppressed) when it was all said and done.

One interesting thing I found out is McMillan will only do a solid olive if you order an exact clone of the USMC stock - they won’t do it on an A1-3 with an adjustable comb or a different swivel/flush cup configuration. Josh from McM was very passionate about the clone community - nice guy and a wealth of knowledge over the phone.

If you can source the flash hider now you’re almost home free - that’s the tough part now that LongRifles makes an exact replica of the IBA front mounts (which were trading hands for $600+ if you could find them).
that flash hider is a pain to find. Wish it was the same as the M40a5 one. You can start find them fairly easily just expensive.

I’ve got 3 extra surefire brakes if you can’t find the flash hider. Just lmk.

You can still order them from surefire if you’re not in a rush for $200 a piece. They will fulfill the order when they tool up for another batch. I spent $365 on my flash hider. $340 on a brake during Covid then retail from surefire.

I’ve got 3 extra surefire brakes if you can’t find the flash hider. Just lmk.

You can still order them from surefire if you’re not in a rush for $200 a piece. They will fulfill the order when they tool up for another batch. I spent $365 on my flash hider. $340 on a brake during Covid then retail from surefire.
Thanks. I’ll shoot them an email

Reactions: 5RWill
One thing to remember, the SureFire flash hider for the USMC issued XM3's are sterile, there's no markings anywhere on it. Also, the surface finish on the XM3 flash hiders is a lighter color than the civilian flash hiders. So, these are 2 considerations for the XM3 flash hiders:

Yl14fYE.jpeg

FhHtfra.jpeg

fydS1xD.jpeg