• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Y'all like hot peppers?

gray1974

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2011
West TN
I ate a ghost chili with my lunch while at work earlier this week. A buddy of mine gave it to me but failed to call it by name. It was the hottest damn pepper I have ever ate. They start out sweet but that don't last long. The heat just keeps on building. I got two more from him to dry out for seed. I'll try my hand at growing them next year.

Heck yes. I love hot peppers. Here's a picture of about 1% of what came out of the garden this year. No bhut jalokias or murago scorpions but lots of habaneros, jalapenos, wax peppers, cayenne and others. Nothing like a sliced yellow tomato and habanero on a hamburger.

HPIM0610_zps4f0472b3.jpg

We cook with habaneros, but that's for the great flavour over jalapenos and serranos. Though we're okay with the heat of those, these new crazy hot peppers just seem like torture. Maybe if I were younger. Then again, I've not gotten near one personally. Maybe I could be wrong and they are usable in the kitchen but I'm not eager to find out. As for eating really hot peppers whole and raw, I remember eating a whole habanero from a push cart in Tijuana in the 80s on a dare; that was enough for me.

We cook with habaneros, but that's for the great flavour over jalapenos and serranos. Though we're okay with the heat of those, these new crazy hot peppers just seem like torture. Maybe if I were younger. Then again, I've not gotten near one personally. Maybe I could be wrong and they are usable in the kitchen but I'm not eager to find out. As for eating really hot peppers whole and raw, I remember eating a whole habanero from a push cart in Tijuana in the 80s on a dare; that was enough for me.
I think the ghost chili would be a great pepper for spicing up a dish. They really have a wonderful flavor if you can make it past the heat.

An Indian place close to me makes a great ghost chili curry, but it was just too hot for me. I like heat, but I don't like if the heat makes the eating experience uncomfortable. Still, I was impressed with the unique flavor the ghost chili brought to the dish.

I ate an entire habanero a few days ago. I just popped it in my mouth, chewed and swallowed. Big mistake I tell ya. Other than the burn I felt drugged for a while. My stomach was upset for a day and going to the bathroom was not pleasant.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

I started out drinking jalapeno infused tequila margaritas, then a habanero margarita, then a ghost pepper infused tequila shot. All the cold Dos Equiis I drank wouldn't stop the pain. Ruined the next four hours of my life.

I LOVE spicy food, but as far as peppers go, a Serrano is about the most that I can enjoy raw. Cooking with peppers always dilutes the heat, but you still maintain the flavor. I enjoy habanero foods, but that is as far as I have gotten. This white boy enjoys spicier food than most of the ethnic people I hang with. None of them would eat a habanero or greater raw, and I follow their lead, if only due to their experience.

Labor day weekend I was at my local cigar lounge/shop and a younger guy was eating one. He took it like a champ! Between every bite he had a bite of some other food. I couldn't believe how well it was going for him.

For those that like the flavor...the Indian natives in the mountains where the jalokia pepper comes from...they cook with the Whole pepper...if you break the skin it is too hot even for them.

I started out drinking jalapeno infused tequila margaritas, then a habanero margarita, then a ghost pepper infused tequila shot. All the cold Dos Equiis I drank wouldn't stop the pain. Ruined the next four hours of my life.
Oh my God!! I can't imagine mixing a ghost with tequila. If all you ruined was four hours of your life, your "ass" came out lucky.

I love it when it tastes like burning!

<object class="hark_player" height="28" width="300">

Ralph Wiggum says it best:

<embed src="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_fb.swf?pid=cfqkvdmxrw&as=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" wmode="transparent" height="28" width="300">
</object>

<script src="http://b.scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js?c1=7&c2=9304640&c3=1&c4=&c5=&c6="></script>

I LOVE spicy food, but as far as peppers go, a Serrano is about the most that I can enjoy raw. Cooking with peppers always dilutes the heat, but you still maintain the flavor. I enjoy habanero foods, but that is as far as I have gotten. This white boy enjoys spicier food than most of the ethnic people I hang with. None of them would eat a habanero or greater raw, and I follow their lead, if only due to their experience.

This is where I'm at. Hell, there's a Thai place here that lets you pick the heat 1-10. We ordered 9 once and after we were done someone who barely spoke English came out of the kitchen and explained the whole place was talking about us as we were the only white people to ever order, and actually eat, number 9. They said no one who worked there would even eat it that hot.

So I too am in to HOT and SPICY foods.

That said, when you read where ghost peppers are on the Scoville scale it is hard to believe this sort of thing is meant for human consumption. And where do you get these things anyway should I decide to put one in some salsa? I think I rather cook with one before I dig into a raw one. Do you have to grow them yourself? Because I've yet to see them at the grocery store.

ohh ya love me some peppers. love it when you get the hickups

cut pepper just enough to open and stuff with pepper jack cheese, then wrap bacon and use tooth picks to hold it. throw it in the smoker
UgZzVmn.gif

or fry it for a few mins.

Taking these Peppers 002.jpg adding other, then splitting and smoking them, Picture 024.jpg and then cooking it/them all down Picture 027.jpg along with adding the necessary spices and ingredients..... makes a great sauce.

I've a number of friends who come and get the bottles of sauce from me, for their tables. It is my opinion that 'tobasco' is just a bottle of heat. Whereas my concoction is a symphony of flavors. And yeah, it really is the "secret ingredients" that have taken me years to find out what they are, that makes the sauce go from 'good and tasty' to "damn.... that stuff is smooth AND fiery at the same time".

Yes, the world of peppers is a whole different universe that the vast majority of people just won't attempt to travel to. Their loss. Though I will say, that in the past 5 years the aspect of 'hot' has definitely taken a turn for the better. The 'idiot' videos with the 'hottest pepper' challenges though, they ain't helping our cause.

I'm just sayin'

Last year we grew Thai, Serrano, Jalapeno, Cayenne, and Guajillo for the hot sauce mash. This year's crop, at about a pound so far, is:
Cow Horn Cayenne
Hot Cayenne
Jalapeno
Serrano
Tobasco

They do not get picked until they are totally red(red means sweeter). Then they are topped, rinsed, and frozen. When the harvest is complete, around October or November, they are chopped up together, then placed in a pan with vinegar and salt until they boil. The mash is then aged for at least six months before making the sauce. The first bottle of mash from last harvest will age a minimum of 5 years. The first bottle from this harvest will do the same. If each years harvest is good, they may go 10 years.

Cooking with peppers? Habanero tastes like hot puke. It is only good for heat because the real flavor sucks. The little Bird's Eye, is hotter anyway and tastes much better. Food is meant to be enjoyed, not a torture to see how much heat you can take.
Want to take heat? Come on over. I'll cook you some curry, chili, or soup, chinese hot pot, hot wings, whatever, that will turn you into a world class pussy. You won't even be able to enjoy the post meal cigar and bourbon. Ghost or Scorpion Chilis as you wish, but by the time you are done, you will be screaming for the ice cream to follow. Whereever it touches your face, hands, flesh, will be scorched not only as you eat, but will haunt you from then until the next day as your innards revolt

Cooking with peppers? Habanero tastes like hot puke. It is only good for heat because the real flavor sucks. The little Bird's Eye, is hotter anyway and tastes much better. Food is meant to be enjoyed, not a torture to see how much heat you can take.
Want to take heat? Come on over. I'll cook you some curry, chili, or soup, chinese hot pot, hot wings, whatever, that will turn you into a world class pussy. You won't even be able to enjoy the post meal cigar and bourbon. Ghost or Scorpion Chilis as you wish, but by the time you are done, you will be screaming for the ice cream to follow. Whereever it touches your face, hands, flesh, will be scorched not only as you eat, but will haunt you from then until the next day as your innards revolt

Is grape soda considered "hard-core" where you're from?:p Maybe you've tried the wrong habanero. Or the heat is just too much for you to get beyond so you can't appreciate the flavour. And it does test hotter than the bird's eye, by the way. This, and other references have it the same: The Scoville Heat Scale for Chilli Peppers and Hot Sauces from ChilliWorld. Compare relative heats all the way to Blair's 6 A.M. - pure capsaicin.

Last edited:
Y'all boys are going to be like those Mexicans. They know its time to eat again when their asshole stops burning. I also love peppers but not so much that it punishes you. I use moderate amounts. My hushpuppies I add habanero with onion and makes them delish!

Heck yes. I love hot peppers. Here's a picture of about 1% of what came out of the garden this year. No bhut jalokias or murago scorpions but lots of habaneros, jalapenos, wax peppers, cayenne and others. Nothing like a sliced yellow tomato and habanero on a hamburger.
HPIM0610_zps4f0472b3.jpg
Thanks for the idea of habaneros on a hamburger. Just sautéed some onions with ceyyene and habanero peppers in lard. Mighty fine on a burger.

Thanks for the idea of habaneros on a hamburger. Just sautéed some onions with ceyyene and habanero peppers in lard. Mighty fine on a burger.

That sounds good, I cook mine in olive oil with fresh crushed garlic. I just made a pot of chili with hananeros and Hungarian wax peppers, I also added some orange bell peppers.

Cartman, a friend is raising maybe the #1 and #2 hottest in the world. I don't remember the names. PM me with an address and I may be able to send you a few. Lightman

I love the different flavors you can find in peppers and while I don't mind some heat, I draw the line at scorching like the ghost. I seem to live in an area that produces good peppers as my neighbor grows several varieties and gets a good amount of each every year. He dries some, smokes some, purees some, and makes some kickin' sauces and salsas.

I remember when I was young with a buddy and he told me his neighbor grew some hot peppers. So we walked over to his garden and bit into some. First, it was fine then a minute later we both were sprinting back into his house to wash out our mouths. We ended up chewing on some of his sisters chapstick to stop the burning.

I haven't touched anything that hot since.

Used to eat whole habaneros a lot as a kid. Even won money over it. The bhut jolokias (ghost peppers) really aren't all that much worse than a couple whole habaneros. Then again I'm used to extracts which are way worse than the actual pepper it comes from. I been dying to try the Trinidad scorpion, but haven't found anyone who has some to give me. Sure, I can just order them, but where's the fun in that. :D

I'm reminded of a funny story when my oldest son had his first unplanned experience with a hot pepper. When he was younger he used to love to be in the kitchen with me watching me prepare food and cook it. Anyways, this one day I was chopping up jalapenos, serranos, and habaneros for hamburgers. He watched me as I occasionally ate a whole habanero or serrano as I was cutting. Before I could catch him in time he reached up and grabbed a serrano and took a huge bite of it and started to chew and I just held out my hand because I knew what was gonna happen next. Sure enough he spits it all out and the look on his face was priceless. He didn't cry or anything like that, but his eyes were a little watery and he kept fanning his mouth while his tongue was hanging out. Fortunately he didn't get turned off to spicy foods over that. Nowadays, he has no problem eating ghost pepper salsa within reason.
f14ce6ec.jpg

I grow grove peppers, jalapeno,habaneros,cow horn, and have 4 ghost pepper plants started from seed. Cook with all but to olde to eat any raw.

Last year we grew Thai, Serrano, Jalapeno, Cayenne, and Guajillo for the hot sauce mash. This year's crop, at about a pound so far, is:
Cow Horn Cayenne
Hot Cayenne
Jalapeno
Serrano
Tobasco

They do not get picked until they are totally red(red means sweeter). Then they are topped, rinsed, and frozen. When the harvest is complete, around October or November, they are chopped up together, then placed in a pan with vinegar and salt until they boil. The mash is then aged for at least six months before making the sauce. The first bottle of mash from last harvest will age a minimum of 5 years. The first bottle from this harvest will do the same. If each years harvest is good, they may go 10 years.

Switch - if you ever want to sell any bottles hit me up. I love hot shit. My buddies and I used to go from bar to bar every week in search of the hottest wings. I've signed a few waivers and only one place has bested me so far with their ghost chili hot wing sauce.

That sounds good, I cook mine in olive oil with fresh crushed garlic. I just made a pot of chili with hananeros and Hungarian wax peppers, I also added some orange bell peppers.
If you ever get a chance to use some home rendered lard (not the bleached stuff at the store), I believe you will like it. It gives the peppers and onion a little extra flavor.

My favorite one for eating is the Cayenne. I think it is sweeter, and hotter without the harshness of the serranno.

My favorite way to make "pepper juice" is as follows:

(the alcohol on the vodka acts as a solvent for the oils in the peppers)

1. Wash the hottest peppers you can find, remove the stem.
2. Toss the peppers and a fifth, or quart of vodka into a blender.
3. Grind 'em up good, put them in the fridge for about a month shaking the bottle every day or so.
4. After about a month, strain the mash, and squeeze out all the juice you can get...cheesecloth works great. Wear gloves.
5. Run this through a paper coffee filter to remove the last particulants.
6. Mix this liquid with an equal amount of lime, lime-lemon, or lemon juice.

The resultant liquid is hotter than hell, and a few drops on fish filets on the grill is fabulous. It probably wouldn't make a bad hot martini if you are so inclined.

Is grape soda considered "hard-core" where you're from?:p Maybe you've tried the wrong habanero. Or the heat is just too much for you to get beyond so you can't appreciate the flavour. And it does test hotter than the bird's eye, by the way. This, and other references have it the same: The Scoville Heat Scale for Chilli Peppers and Hot Sauces from ChilliWorld. Compare relative heats all the way to Blair's 6 A.M. - pure capsaicin.

Faal Curry, or Bhut Jolokia Hot Pot, or Trini Buljol are made with Ghost peppers or Scorpion peppers, hotter than a punk assed habanero, and yes as a chef, I will maintain the true flavor of a habanero is like straight puke with added heat. My boys eat hotter stuff than anyone I know, and occasionally demand something different, and something 'wicked hot', hence the Hot Pot, Faal Curry, and versions of buljol. I grew up getting my mouth washed out with Tobasco, then eating pickled Jalapenoes for free beers, to eating raw habaneros for cash bets. I have expereinced the worlds hottest pepper dishes in South/East Asia, Korea, the Pacific Rim, Africa, the US, and Mexico. My boys are at the stage of finding hotter and hotter things to eat. We do that at the dinner table. Panty 6? She just wrinkles her face and says,"Fuck that, you guys can HAVE IT!" She DID try the Faal, a tiny, small bite, and all we got as she rushed over to the fridge, was,"Oh my God, aw shit, that shit is fuckin HOT!" Grape motherfuckin soda my ass!*extends middle finger* You want some salty cod with a few peppers, onions and tomatoes(buljol), my bet is you will run screaming to the fridge, then to the bathroom. Sam says you're a punk and can't handle real heat!

Switch - if you ever want to sell any bottles hit me up. I love hot shit. My buddies and I used to go from bar to bar every week in search of the hottest wings. I've signed a few waivers and only one place has bested me so far with their ghost chili hot wing sauce.

It is all consumed in house

Have you noticed freezing the peppers reduces the heat? It seems that way to me and I'm curious if others think the same.
Thanks.

We harvest our peppers when they are plant ripened nice and red. They have heat, and a nice sweetness to them, lots of flavor. The actual heat comes from teh inner core and seeds. These go into the mash. Freezing does not affect the actual heat of the pepper. If you are buying thos MOnsanto abortions at eh local Walmart or wherever, they just are not hot, or as my boys say, quite UNhot

I do like to use grown peppers in cooking and on sandwiches. However, I make no claims about the high heat peppers and can leave them for you guys that have taken the time to build a tolerance for them. I have a sweet hot pickling recipe I use for jalepenos that is perfect for most of my friends. The sweetness is a perfect contrast to the mild heat and most people are surprised how good they are plain, on cheese and crackers, and on sandwiches.

I make 15-20 jars at a time and have a hard time keeping enough for us to eat. I also like the sweetness of the ripened red peppers, but usually pick and process when there is a nice mix of red and green. It looks better. Plus, I believe that pickled peppers should still have a small bit of crunch.

My deal. Your results will absolutely vary. Such is the spice of life.

Faal Curry, or Bhut Jolokia Hot Pot, or Trini Buljol are made with Ghost peppers or Scorpion peppers, hotter than a punk assed habanero, and yes as a chef, I will maintain the true flavor of a habanero is like straight puke with added heat. My boys eat hotter stuff than anyone I know, and occasionally demand something different, and something 'wicked hot', hence the Hot Pot, Faal Curry, and versions of buljol. I grew up getting my mouth washed out with Tobasco, then eating pickled Jalapenoes for free beers, to eating raw habaneros for cash bets. I have expereinced the worlds hottest pepper dishes in South/East Asia, Korea, the Pacific Rim, Africa, the US, and Mexico. My boys are at the stage of finding hotter and hotter things to eat. We do that at the dinner table. Panty 6? She just wrinkles her face and says,"Fuck that, you guys can HAVE IT!" She DID try the Faal, a tiny, small bite, and all we got as she rushed over to the fridge, was,"Oh my God, aw shit, that shit is fuckin HOT!" Grape motherfuckin soda my ass!*extends middle finger* You want some salty cod with a few peppers, onions and tomatoes(buljol), my bet is you will run screaming to the fridge, then to the bathroom. Sam says you're a punk and can't handle real heat!

All those peppers have made you hot under the collar Switchblade. How about an ice cold glass of milk?

I'm partial to birds eye peppers.
Have a decent shrub in front of my house.

Spent many years in the south pacific, damn things grew everywhere.

Go to an asian market and buy spiced Datu Puti vinegar, put that on your chicarons.

My uncle grew ghost chilli last year and the plants got HUGE. They made a "hot sauce" with it, and all you would need to do is dip the tip of your spoon in it, and stir it in with your food. I love hot food, but ghost chillies are a little too hot for my taste.

All those peppers have made you hot under the collar Switchblade. How about an ice cold glass of milk?

Nah, we're good. I enjoy good hot food, nice and spicy. Cold Beer, maybe a cold Gewurztraminer wine are my choice. Actually anything with residual sugar kills heat far better than milk, like a nice rum and coke!

HOT SAUCE:

Everyone wants to cook it down, kill it with heat for a half day, murder it on the stove. NO!
It's simple hot sauce mash. Salt, Vinegar, Peppers, Five minutes to a boil and OFF. Any longer massacres the flavor AND the heat. Sure you can get it a tiny bit hotter by getting rid of any excess water, but why? A GOOD hot sauce mash is simple. It is a mix of peppers that have heat, flavor, and even notes of hot, pepper, and a very light sweetness given by the peppers being vine ripened to a nice red color.
Adding six weeks of age to it makes it better. Adding six months of age to it, makes it spectacularly good! My first bottle will go five - ten years. The first bottle from this year will go ten years. The Vinegar and Salt are preservatives. No bacteria can grow in that hostile environment. Any bacteria that prefers a salt agar will die in the vinegars acidity. Any bacteria that likes an acidic agar, will die in the saline environment. I cannot think of any bacteria that can live in both saline AND acidic environment.

Hey Unknown, I am working on your vodka pepper juice. I decided to start small so I only bought a half pint of vodka. I blended eight cayenne and four scotch bonnets in with the vodka. I messed up and smelled the lid when I removed it from the blender. A couple minutes later, I finally quit coughing and caught my breath. I may have to throw the blender away :)

These came from the garden yesterday, ten times this many still to be picked.

peppers2_zps6ae0e254.jpg

When we were still farming back in the '60's and 70's my Mother raised the small chilis in the garden. She got some seeds from a friend of hers that grew a pepper that was less than 1 1/2" long and smaller OD than a pencil. She used to soak them in olive oil for a few weeks to make a sauce. She may have boiled them. I don't remember. But I remember you could dip your fork into it and stir into a plate of spaghetti & sauce, it would burn your lips and mouth for the first several bites until you got a little used to it.

I had stomach problems year before last. Very few peppers can I eat now. I even have to limit my onions.

Getting old is a pain in the butt. But it's better than the alternative.

Cow Horn Cayenne
Hot Cayenne
Jalapeno
Serrano
Tobasco

I agree 100%, the habeneros taste like asshole. I've been growing and eating raw the little Birds Eyes for a few years now, delicious BTW. Just this year I tried some Chocolate Bhut Jolokia(raw and without food or water) peppers that a friend grew. Truthfully I don't think that they are considerable hotter than the little birds eyes that I'm used to, although the heat lasts for MUCH longer. From these personal expierences I've come up with a sort of theory about hot peppers. It seems like once you get to a certain level of heat, the intensity stops increasing, and the additional capsasian from that point on is just makes the heat last longer. Just my two cents.....

As far as peppers or food in general being to hot to enjoy, well I've come to really enjoy the heat and sensation that hot peppers provide. When eating the chocolate Bhut Jolokia I first ate a really small piece to see what it was all about. The heat was intense but after it died down I found myself missing it. I will say that once I get to the ghost pepper level I must be careful how much I take in and be sure that I have plenty of food in my stomach ahead of time. At one point I ate a half of a chocolate ghost raw and without food or water and my stomach pains were considerably worse than the stinging in my mouth.

Last edited:
Hey Unknown, I am working on your vodka pepper juice. I decided to start small so I only bought a half pint of vodka. I blended eight cayenne and four scotch bonnets in with the vodka. I messed up and smelled the lid when I removed it from the blender. A couple minutes later, I finally quit coughing and caught my breath. I may have to throw the blender away :)

Sorry, my bad...I shoulda told you. The first time I made it I neglected to wear gloves, and went to take a piss after I was done making it. My wife thought it was funny as hell....me, not so much. I have never done that since!

Cant handle hot food anymore... Back in highschool we discovered the habanero, thought we would be funny and all eat one. I somehow ended up with the smallest one and it was the dangest orange. Long story short I sat in my last 3 classes with a gallon of milk and I swear the school was 100 degrees inside... One of my lighter stomached friends threw up all over.

To this day I have never really enjoyed spicy food. Maybe some hot salsa but thats about it.

I ate the best canned cayyene peppers of my life at work this week. The same guy that give me the ghost pepper brought some peppers his wife canned. I have never been extremely fond of canned peppers but these were excellent. I got his wife's recipe and am gonna put some up this week.

My favorite one for eating is the Cayenne. I think it is sweeter, and hotter without the harshness of the serranno.

My favorite way to make "pepper juice" is as follows:

(the alcohol on the vodka acts as a solvent for the oils in the peppers)

1. Wash the hottest peppers you can find, remove the stem.
2. Toss the peppers and a fifth, or quart of vodka into a blender.
3. Grind 'em up good, put them in the fridge for about a month shaking the bottle every day or so.
4. After about a month, strain the mash, and squeeze out all the juice you can get...cheesecloth works great. Wear gloves.
5. Run this through a paper coffee filter to remove the last particulants.
6. Mix this liquid with an equal amount of lime, lime-lemon, or lemon juice.

The resultant liquid is hotter than hell, and a few drops on fish filets on the grill is fabulous. It probably wouldn't make a bad hot martini if you are so inclined.
I finally got this "sauce" done. It is fabulous!! Drizzled some on porck chops before baking. Can't wait to try on fish. Unknown, thanks for the recipe.

Glad you liked the pepper sauce. I think fish is where it really shines. If you wrap the fish in foil and grill or bake it, I think it is the way the alcohol steams that gets the flavor into the meat so nicely. You get a real heat hit, and the wonderful citrus flavor comes through too. I have used it on stir fried scallops or shrimp too, and it works great there too, but I still think foil wrapped fish is where it is fabulous!

Not too bad if you like really hot martini's either...