• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You fellas help me through a tikka build?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I couldn’t get a real reliable answer on feeding a wsm on some aftermarket long actions and how to build it. So I’ve decided to try to do a tikka build but have never really considered it before.

build is going to be a a hunting rifle

-1:8 twist 26” contour undecided .277 build for a 270. Wsm build. Thinking #5 fluted
-manners eh1 or ag composites alpine hunter

I don’t know anything about triggers for them, if it’s worth running factory mags and bottom metals or if I should be looking into aftermarket setup.

should I be worried about there recoil lug and if I should be putting one on?

The aftermarket stocks I've had came with an upgraded steel lug. The aluminum lug on the T3 is soft, not good. I think the T3x has a steel lug. You really can't improve on the stock trigger no matter how much you spend unless you just want a pull lighter than about 2.5 pounds. In that case a $10 Yodave spring will bring it down to about 1.5 pounds.

Long Action mags are tricky. That's something I can't really help with. I have a 28 Nosler with the MDT mag set up which is somewhere between the length of the stock mags and an AICS LA mag. Some folks say they have got AICS LA mags to work but I have no experience with that.

-Dan

The aftermarket stocks I've had came with an upgraded steel lug. The aluminum lug on the T3 is soft, not good. I think the T3x has a steel lug. You really can't improve on the stock trigger no matter how much you spend unless you just want a pull lighter than about 2.5 pounds. In that case a $10 Yodave spring will bring it down to about 1.5 pounds.

Long Action mags are tricky. That's something I can't really help with. I have a 28 Nosler with the MDT mag set up which is somewhere between the length of the stock mags and an AICS LA mag. Some folks say they have got AICS LA mags to work but I have no experience with that.

-Dan

awesome thank you. Now is it common the blueprint/true up a tikka like you would with a Remington?

Reactions: ddavis
awesome thank you. Now is it common the blueprint/true up a tikka like you would with a Remington?
no. because amazingly its possible to build a factory action thats square and true

factory triggers are great.

probably want to stick with the mags especially because they'll give you the length you want and they def have a lot of WSM factory options

Reactions: Matt_3479
Yeah the benefits of doing the whole truing thing on a even a junk action like a Rem are debatable, no way I'd do it on a Tikka. I hear they are very consistent and it's never been an issue on any I've owned.

there's a reason smiths make shouldered prefits for tikka

regarding the mags. you might have to do a mockup and see if the 2.950 of the WSM accurate mags get you the length you need or if you need more of what the tikka 3.4" has

Heh... I'm in the process of doing the same build... T3 originally chambered in 30-06, bolt face opened up to accept the WSM rim (and extractor spaced appropriately), and a plan for an 8-twist 26" barrel chambered in 270 WSM. Unfortunately, that project (along with several others) is in limbo for lack of funds for the foreseeable future, so I can't comment on the mag/feeding situation.

In any event, I have a couple of other T3s, and have found that the factory trigger with an upgraded spring (yodave or similar) is just fine. It's not as nice as a TT Diamond or CE, but it's been plenty good enough for use on a prairie dog gun.

I really dig the T3 actions, and think that they represent an absolutely stellar platform to build on as long as you aren't trying to shoot long-action chamberings.

I can't answer for them, but the reason I wouldn't get too involved with a 270 of any flavor is the bullet selection. It's not that it's not a good round performance wise, it's just that there are a bunch better that are easier to find brass and good quality bullets for. Don't get me wrong, I read a lot of Field and Stream and Outdoor Life and heard all about the amazing 270 and it was a little tough to part with mine when I finally couldn't justify the room in the safe anymore. If I was going to go WSM, I would go 300. Does everything the 270WSM does with about the same recoil and a lot more versatile bullet weight selection, as well as higher quality accurate bullets.

I've got a buddy that has a 243 WSSM (not that I would say the 270WSM as nearly as hard to find) and he's always talking about doing something with it, and that's fine if you've already got it and a bunch of brass and dies and such, but why would you get one going to start when there are so many better options that are easier to work with.

Why?

I'm not arguing so much as trying to understand the reason(s) behind your position.
Like he said just now, he would buy, not build. Get it for 800 out the door instead of 600 for a donor plus the barrel and work and everything else as added on cost.

Unfortunately some forum styles (the one nice default one that doesnt bother my eyes) dont show hyperlinks so many probably overlooked that it was a link to a factory option that he shared. Its why I now underline the hyperlinks now.
1573235272918.png

1573235044957.png

I can't answer for them, but the reason I wouldn't get too involved with a 270 of any flavor is the bullet selection. It's not that it's not a good round performance wise, it's just that there are a bunch better that are easier to find brass and good quality bullets for. Don't get me wrong, I read a lot of Field and Stream and Outdoor Life and heard all about the amazing 270 and it was a little tough to part with mine when I finally couldn't justify the room in the safe anymore. If I was going to go WSM, I would go 300. Does everything the 270WSM does with about the same recoil and a lot more versatile bullet weight selection, as well as higher quality accurate bullets.

I've got a buddy that has a 243 WSSM (not that I would say the 270WSM as nearly as hard to find) and he's always talking about doing something with it, and that's fine if you've already got it and a bunch of brass and dies and such, but why would you get one going to start when there are so many better options that are easier to work with.

oh I totally agree on better chamberings available, have other Options in my wheel house but I have always loved the .270 Winchester and wanted to do something a Bit different. So I’m settled on the 270.Wsm as I just flat out want one!

Like he said just now, he would buy, not build. Get it for 800 out the door instead of 600 for a donor plus the barrel and work and everything else as added on cost.

Unfortunately some forum styles (the one nice default one that doesnt bother my eyes) dont show hyperlinks so many probably overlooked that it was a link to a factory option that he shared. Its why I now underline the hyperlinks now.
View attachment 7179638
View attachment 7179631
or even get the blue version for $200 less

it's a 10 twist though not an 8

View attachment 7179638
View attachment 7179631
Fair enough. In my case, I just kinda wanted an excuse to build something to shoot the Berger .277 EOL projectile. I have a number of the more mainstream options covered already and want something a little different, I s'pose.

Fair enough. In my case, I just kinda wanted an excuse to build something to shoot the Berger .277 EOL projectile. I have a number of the more mainstream options covered already and want something a little different, I s'pose.

a 270wsm with that bullet could certainly be interesting!

Okay. So, everyone’s in violent agreement now, right? ?

So now that caliber is cleared lol :p so basically just purchase a tikka, have a smith install a better lug, 1:8 twist 26” #5 fluted bbl, decide on a stock and she’s good to go. Get the new trigger spring and that’s it eh!

So now that caliber is cleared lol :p so basically just purchase a tikka, have a smith install a better lug, 1:8 twist 26” #5 fluted bbl, decide on a stock and she’s good to go. Get the new trigger spring and that’s it eh!
Yup

Whatever one you buy make it in something youd maybe thread back on. Or would be an easy sell here

You can also pick up some WSM/SAUM mags from Mike at Hells Canyon Armory that allow a longer COAL than the factory tikka mags.

I'm planning on doing a 7 saum using the MDT LA tikka mags and a red snake bottom metal. Might need to mod the bottom metal a bit to keep the mag from rattling. 180's will be about 3.2 so lots of room in the 3.5 mag.

A McGowen prefit barrel to your specs comes to $535. Add $60 for cerakote.

living in Canada it’s hard to find most barrel prefits. The barrel I’m looking at is a Canadian made barrel I’m hearing good things about. For the money I wouldn’t mind trying it. If not I’ll know to stay with the ones I know and trust.

the main purpose of this post was cause I wasn’t sure what was entailed in a tikka build. Was I looking at the same as Remington where I NEED to blueprint the action, is it going cost me a ton of work on the tikka to make it worth building off of. I’ve never done a remmy build cause every smith I’ve used said for the extra 100 maybe 200 you can get a custom action that requires no work and better resale. But if the tikka doesn’t require any work other then recoil lug it sounds amazing for a quick/cheaper hunting build! Just want to do something fairly lightweight and accurate for a good carry rifle

I think you'll probably exceed plug n' play frugality if you're going to pay for a gunsmith thread-to-fit barrel and do a custom inlet and bed stock/ bottom metal. At that point you're looking at a savings of $300 in an otherwise $2500 - 3000 build.

Origin - $850
Trigger - $150

$1000

T3 - $400
Pic rail - $100
Bolt handle - $90
Shroud - $110

$700

Tikka quality to cost ratios shine when you have the right selection of components. KRG Bravo, $450 prefits, etc. Once the build gets very custom it's just a little savings between actions that come mostly from the trigger.

canadian prices are much much different. The cheapest actions go for 1600+, and triggers are normally 300+ for the ones I like. I’d be looking at 2000 for just the action. Prefits are few and far between and expensive as blanks are normally 650+.

this build being a bit different will end up going much less then normal. An average build up here goes 5500-6000+ before optics. (1600-2000 action, 650 barrel, 350 trigger, 1200 stock, 200 for muzzle brake, 350 bottom metal then 1500 for gunsmithing).

used tikka goes for 650-850 saves me 1000, no bottom metal needed saves 350, no trigger needed saves me 350 and barrel I’m going try a Canadian barrel maker (400 barrel or 600 for fluted) saves me a few hundred. This build would run me a lot less

Reactions: Krazy_jim
Wow, thats nuts. It would be worth a plane ticket to fly to Altus to shoot a match and come home with a rifle....

hahaha I’m sure a few of us northern boys have thought about it. Yah prices are crazy making it difficult to do builds. With wanting to do a wsm and getting so many mixed opinions on custom actions and feeding a wsm I figured I’d the tikka will save me some cash or a lot of cash and still produce reliable accurate build. I’d love to do it on a bighorn, or even another Kelbly as I love my last build on a Kelbly

Even though I own two TL3's and an Origin, I still bought a donor Tikka for a build. I did a 6.5SST. Really not too different than what you're looking at. I'm pretty darn happy with it. I could see a Tikka build being a one-gun solution for someone with discipline or limited means.

what was the reason for the 6.5 sst on the tikka. Aren’t they designed to feed in a short action? I would love to try the 270 ss but the price and difficulty to get components for the build (brass, dies, reamer) out weigh the benefit and is why I decided on the wsm on a tikka

Fair warning though. Nothing about this custom, boutique cartridge is cheap. The reamer rental, dies, and brass are pricey, by American standards!

Hence the reason for the 270. Wsm build instead on the tikka. I can utilize a “medium action” with much less cost and headache. Can’t find the brass, or anything here in Canada for the Sherman cartridges

I wont even think about building a custom up here in Canada.

I paid just shy of $800 for my T3x lite in .308win, and that was a closing out sale. Walked in, waited at least an hour in line, asked for a t3x in either .260 6.5cm or .308win. Had 1 rifle left and was in .308 so i bought it.

Trigger spring and it shoots well enough.

Reactions: reubenski