• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Your “go to” hunting rifle?

Just a couple, few hundred times... I was pretty active in the sport scene from '93 to around 2005 then I kinda got away from it. I made the mistake of getting into instruction and it became a weekend job instead of fun,,
Ha great! Same here......jumped out of Skydive City Z-hills. Miss surfing my Jedei Swept Wing 120....had an old Sabre 107 as well. They have a swoop pond there now, but I was out of the sport by then. Being an AFF instructor......kill me now. I was packing trying to make the next Otter.

I was teaching a first jump course saturday mornings and then AFF in the afternoon and AFF sunday with a fun jump or two thrown in. It paid for my gear and airtime and I racked up a shitton of jumps but it got old after a bit

I was teaching a first jump course saturday mornings and then AFF in the afternoon and AFF sunday with a fun jump or two thrown in. It paid for my gear and airtime and I racked up a shitton of jumps but it got old after a bit
You were in the sport same time as me......made the cover of Parachutist by accident on my very last jump! That's Tony Uragallo in the middle who made one awesome canopy at the time. I'm on left.....two more fri
ends in the back there too. Was so bummed they put the camera man's name as me so only got my pic!
1982103_1459346987630102_1019430785_n.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
I was last flying an Aerodyne Diablo 160 (I'm not exactly a little guy) and it was a blast! That's probably what I miss the most...been looking at getting into a powered parachute or ultralite.

Yea the Jedei was about as much as we could load a wing b/f cross braced cells I was at like 1.7 or so. These guys are nuts now with approach speeds in the 70's I went to a few events out there it's unreal the skill level now.

I was never lucky enough to end up the mags. I did get around a bit though. Home was Skydive Pennsylvania or Aerohio then Carolina skysports for thanksgiving, zhills for newyears one year, deland for newyears another, perris valley for a few newyears.

Yes! CSS Boogie on 4th of July they had 3 Super Casas it was great they gave us free jump tickets to do freefly coaching jumps.....that's the goal get your jumps comped. I heard that place burned down though?

Oh I hear ya. I was at 1.6 on the diablo then the Icarus boys showed up for a weekend with demo extremes....I flew a couple frighteningly small rigs and decided I was going fast enough with my 160. I rode a 117 extreme a few jumps and it was awesome but ZERO room for error.

CSS closed up shop and sold all the airplanes to retire around '08 IIRC. They were great folks though, sad to not have them in the sport any more

I never got serious into freeflying. I played around with it here and there, got into CRW for a couple years..flew a 16 canopy diamond a few times and a lot of smaller stuff. Other than that, I was a belly flyer most of the time.

i have always wanted to skydive but never had the chance/opportunity or someone to drag me into it. Just seems like so much fun.

i have always wanted to skydive but never had the chance/opportunity or someone to drag me into it. Just seems like so much fun.
Where do you live if you don't mind? There are a lot of great drop zones and you could maybe go do an AFF level 1 jump. Two instructors and you get to fly the canopy...on your own after opening via a radio to instruct you on landing pattern. Give ya a taste. Could do a tandem, but not really the complete experience.

Reactions: hseII
Where do you live if you don't mind? There are a lot of great drop zones and you could maybe go do an AFF level 1 jump. Two instructors and you get to fly the canopy...on your own after opening via a radio to instruct you on landing pattern. Give ya a taste. Could do a tandem, but not really the complete experience.
I live in Indiana, You really know your stuff, i will give the AFF level 1 jump a try. it must be exhilarating.

I live in Indiana, You really know your stuff, i will give the AFF level 1 jump a try. it must be exhilarating.
Well not really it's like someone in here saying 1 MOA is not 1 inch. Actually the other guy sounds like he may have been an AFF instructor he could tell you in more detail your day's experience in the classrom....it's been 25 years this summer since I took AFF!

Check out this page and see what is closest.....I'll poke around with a couple of buddies who still jump and see if they know anything about the drop zone.

It's so addicting and I had a lot of bored times the first few years after I stopped. It's a safe sport as long as you stay current b/c your situational awareness, malfunction recognition....all that stuff has to be razor sharp. A job that was 7 days a week on call made it clear for me time was done, then my eyesight went to crap so I hung it up b/c most of the fun for me was flying the canopy.....you will not believe the stuff you can do under these elliptical canopies and since I got out they are even more advanced the guys ripping them now are just amazing the precision is unreal. If the bug bites you it's hard to do without.

Take a ride with Ian....one of the best in the world....probably 20k jumps of experience

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 10000yards
Well not really it's like someone in here saying 1 MOA is not 1 inch. Actually the other guy sounds like he may have been an AFF instructor he could tell you in more detail your day's experience in the classrom....it's been 25 years this summer since I took AFF!

Check out this page and see what is closest.....I'll poke around with a couple of buddies who still jump and see if they know anything about the drop zone.

It's so addicting and I had a lot of bored times the first few years after I stopped. It's a safe sport as long as you stay current b/c your situational awareness, malfunction recognition....all that stuff has to be razor sharp. A job that was 7 days a week on call made it clear for me time was done, then my eyesight went to crap so I hung it up b/c most of the fun for me was flying the canopy.....you will not believe the stuff you can do under these elliptical canopies and since I got out they are even more advanced the guys ripping them now are just amazing the precision is unreal. If the bug bites you it's hard to do without.
Thanks for the razor sharp advice, too bad your eyesight went south, i am sure you could've still be in the sport, would have been a fun thingto do with a fellow hide member.

oh I could still jump, but going from what i was doing to what would be safe now. Meh. It would be like getting hooked on a $10k custom AI with a 2k yard range in your backyard then being told you have to shoot an AK with irons at 25 yards indoors:/

Fieldcraft came in this week!

Barrett Fieldcraft 21" 6mm Creedmoor
Talley Low rings
SHV 3-10x42 forceplex
Montana Sling

Piglite tripod
Sunwayfoto 52DL
Hogsaddle

There's only a short list of things I can't do with this setup east of the Mississippi.

IMG_8704.JPG

Fieldcraft came in this week!

Barrett Fieldcraft 21" 6mm Creedmoor
Talley Low rings
SHV 3-10x42 forceplex
Montana Sling

Piglite tripod
Sunwayfoto 52DL
Hogsaddle

There's only a short list of things I can't do with this setup east of the Mississippi.

View attachment 7151720

What can you not do with that 6 creed east of the Mississippi?

Good morning,

What is your “go to” hunting rifle and caliber for big game where you live?

The one you grab that you have the most confidence in?

If you don’t hunt big game then share your version of your go to hunting rifle.

Thank you for playing.

Current go-to rig and I don’t see changing anytime soon.

Beanland Custom
Bighorn Origin
24” 8 twist Bartlein 5R #3 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor
McMillan Adjustable Game Scout In Desert Carbon Ambush
APA bottom metal
Triggertech Diamond
Bushnell 3-12 LRTSi

05511629-20-FD-4215-9-AE2-869-F216-B0-CF2.jpg

5-B8-AFE22-5-CBD-48-C6-9062-2-C353-C165-D45.jpg

758-F96-DD-74-D1-4-EA2-8-CC7-80003-CAC1227.jpg

I have shot deer with a 308 and a 270. Both work just fine for killing deer size animals, but the mild recoil of my 25-06 has spoiled me to a point where that is about all I hunt with these days.

Reactions: rookie7
I'm going back to basics this year and am going to try to get everything done with a Marlin 30-30 and a Tikka lite 308

ETA: Just whitetail, hogs, coyotes in the southeast so none of the bigger stuff you guys out west and up north have

I put my blued guns in the safe and picked up a Remington Model 7 300 saum stainless synthetic when they first came out. Works well for me on elk, deer, squirrels. The Commie state I live in now requires unleaded ammo so I have worked up some Hornady gmx loads that shoot well, hope to see how they do on game soon.

LOL! Yep, I have only seen a few of those here in Georgia!

Seriously though. I guess I should have typed "wouldn't" in place of "couldn't". The only animal east of the Mississippi I wouldn't hunt with a 6creed would be Kentucky elk. Not because of limitations of the cartridge, but my experience (none) elk hunting. If the opportunity to go on an elk hunt came up, I'd probably take a .308.

Reactions: rookie7
@jwood1284 if Hornady’s numbers are right the 103 eldx doesn’t give up anything out to 500 to the 129 6.5 creedmoor in the energy department - out of a 24” barrel with their ammo and their testing.

very nice rifle!winch 70?give us your rifle spec please!
how do you like march ,i'm considering a 3-24x42 to replace my way to heavy schmidt PMII?
and beautiful country!where is it?
GAP Win 70, 24” Bartlein #3 fluted, Manners MST, painted by Short bus, Tally light with March 3x24x42. I like the March, will end up with more of them. I’m in Alaska, those are the Wrangle mountains.

GAP Win 70, 24” Bartlein #3 fluted, Manners MST, painted by Short bus, Tally light with March 3x24x42. I like the March, will end up with more of them. I’m in Alaska, those are the Wrangle mountains.

That's a nice gun and beautiful country.

After a ton of deliberation, I also ended up going to a March scope for my hunting rifle. Mine is an old Tikka in a McMillan Gamescout stock. I'll snap a picture when I get home. I decided to stick with the 3-24x52 March, but I have a lot of mileage with both 42mm and 52mm versions.

Overall, despite some new entrants, I think it is still the best crossover scope out there, given the light weight.

ILya

That's a nice gun and beautiful country.

After a ton of deliberation, I also ended up going to a March scope for my hunting rifle. Mine is an old Tikka in a McMillan Gamescout stock. I'll snap a picture when I get home. I decided to stick with the 3-24x52 March, but I have a lot of mileage with both 42mm and 52mm versions.

Overall, despite some new entrants, I think it is still the best crossover scope out there, given the light weight.

ILya
The March 3-24x52 looks like a very nice scope.I will be researching this one,what reticle are you running on yours?

Reactions: rope
The March 3-24x52 looks like a very nice scope.I will be researching this one,what reticle are you running on yours?

Mine has their T1 tree reticle. It is not my favorite design overall, but it is surprisingly visible on low power and I am very used to tree reticles. With T1, only the very center is illuminated, so it is a really distinct aiming point on low power.

One thing to keep in mind with March is that they have a 6 position illumination module, that I vastly prefer to their standard 4 position ones. Mine is equipped with the 6 position switch where the large rubber button is just ON/OFF, while the illumination level is controlled by an integrated rotary switch. It usually sits on one of the lower illumination levels and I do not have to cycle through them to turn it on and off.

ILya

Reactions: rope and Moose
-XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium Chassis and Carbon Buttsock
-Lone Peak Fuzion Ti Action
-Proof Research 24" Carbon Finer Barrel in .284 (Additional 20" barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor)
-Rubicon Precision did the gunsmith
-MBM Ti Muzzle Brake
-Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 Mil-C

Weight ~ 8lbs-9lbs depending on accessories and bipod

71970608_3138872529488572_5061364962560049152_n.jpg

if i am hunting in the woods or 150y or under shooting my go to is a marlin 1895 guide gun in 45/70 with pure lead paper patched bullets if i am sitting i run a vortex 1-6 strike eagle, if i am on a drive i run xs ghost ring sights

if i am hunting a field where extended shots are a possibility its a grab bag of what i feel like trying this year i am leaning towards a 308 ar i built over the summer, in past i have run bolt 308, 300wm, ar grendel

if i am in "shotgun zone" i use either ultra slug hunter 12ga, or a 500 smith and wesson handi-rifle

Reactions: rope
Screenshot_20191011-092108_Gallery.jpg
20191006_131442.jpg

New to me Bergara HMR in 6.5. Took it in trade and had to go a cheap for glass so I could have it ready for this season. That was the first 100yd 3 round group but it printed groups like that over and over with factory ELD-X. 8 days till gun season and I'll be there for the opening. Coupled with an almost 30 degree drop in the forecast from this week so they should be moving around. Couldn't really be happier with this budget setup and I'm used to the weight of the one behind it for work, so it carrys very well for me. Maybe it'll be a good luck charm and I'll be able to put it to work on day one for the first time in my life...

20191011_122004.jpg

During the spike elk hunt this season I spotted one bedded down 2000 yards up a ridge. I hiked up a parallel ridge, the oak brush was thick and too high to see over in most places, closest I could get and still see him was 730 yards. I set up, waited 90 min for him to stand. The 300 win mag got the job done.

Went whitetail hunting for the first time last year with the intention of using my M&P10. A family friend without his own rifle needed a loaner though and I gave him that to use.

Backup for me was my 1943 CMP Garand. First day out I didn't see anything at all while the guys I was with each got a doe. Second day my head was on a swivel. With the sun coming out over the frosty woods I decided to get a photo of the scenery looking down my Garand's sights. I only saw the buck through my phone. Managed to get this shot before the second shot a few seconds later...

46491957_1927837267308134_1117177996495552512_n.jpg

Good morning,

What is your “go to” hunting rifle and caliber for big game where you live?

The one you grab that you have the most confidence in?

If you don’t hunt big game then share your version of your go to hunting rifle.

Thank you for playing.
Mine Is A RL321’RXC3214 ABCDEFG ON A QRST456.......... I DON´T KNOW WHAT THESE LETTERS STAND FOR EITHER, WHICH IS THE SAME I CAN SAY ABOUT MOST OF THESE OTHER POSTS.......... hehehe