• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Your best ever kill shot?

sandwalk3r

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2011
Kentucky
I am the great white hunter, and here's my best hunting kill shot:

4th grade.

Friend and I go to a Native American festival and each come back with straw reed blowguns with darts made out of wooden skewers with rabbit fur flights.

We proceed to hunt varmints in my back yard to kill whatever had been eating my mom's tomatoes.

Movement in the grass.

I pivot, level my awesome blowgun and fire a dart in one eye and straight out the other of the first and only field mouse I have ever seen in my yard.

That was the peak of my hunting career, lol.

My mom got back from the grocery to see me holding up my mouse dangling from the dart, and she just gave me this look and pondered out loud that she wasn't sure how exactly to cook me my field mouse for dinner.

;(

Re: Your best ever kill shot?

nice story. had a few adventures when i was younger kinda like that just involving a BB gun instead. man how we used to keep ourselves busy when we were younger

Ah, good times. Nice story! I don't have any interesting kill shot stories of my own, but I can tell you about the LOWEST point in my hunting career.

I was 13 or 14. Three of my friends and I went out for a day squirrel hunting (fry the hind legs in butter, mmm mmm good!) Two of us had semi 22s, one had a bolt 22, and the 4th had a pistol. He was an amazing shot with the pistol. I, for the life of me, can't hit a damn thing no matter how much I practice with a handgun, but Ben could shoot better with that old Ruger than I could with my 22 rifle. It was simply amazing.

So we are making our rounds through the woods, and after nailing 5 or 6, one of my friends spots a loner sitting on a fallen rotting tree not 50 feet away. We take turns...first shot...miss! Second shot...miss! So on, so on.

Someone calls out "fair game", and all four of us start yanking the trigger, all wanting to get him first! It was like a bad action movie, there was pieces of dirt and bark flying through the air all around that lone squirrel! But not a single round touched him... I shit you not, once we stopped firing, he looked right at us, made that annoying laughing-like sound, and strolled leisurely up the nearest tree. Yes, I said strolled. I have never since seen a squirrel move so slowly.

No one said a word. We couldn't believe what just happened. The only explanation I can come up with now is that he was a highly intellectually evolved squirrel who had developed telekinetic abilities and was deflecting our bullets out of the way. ...Yeah...I know haha. Either way, he earned his right to be left alone...at least that is what I would think nowadays. 4 young boys wanting to best eachother? We riddled that treetop with enough gunfire we could have repelled the Normandy landings! Eventually that little guys luck ran out. Out of the silence after a shot breaks in the woods...a squirrel rustled the branches as it fell from above...a single 22 caliber hole through it. I'd like to claim that round was fired from my trusty rifle (which, typing this, I had to go get it out of the closet to set it next to me.) But it just wasn't so. Instead, Ben went to pick up his trophy. And no matter how much we reminded him that he too had missed plenty, it was a long while before he would stop bragging how he hit with a beat up pistol what we couldn't hit with rifles.

So while I'm not ashamed to admit it wasn't MY kill shot, I couldn't keep myself from sharing.

Was fishing and took a shot at a 9 band water snake with my 41 Rem mag missed by about 1/2" yet the snake still died from the concussion of the bullet hitting the water.

I have many, some of which may grace the pages of this forum, but one that comes to mind, since we are in a reminiscent mood of our former youth.
When I was a young boy, my mother often took us kids with her to her many different work locations as a resort property manager. Some of them were great, and others were simply heaven for a kid like me. One of my absolute favorites to this day is Lake Powell, and I practically spent every summer of my life there. My mom would be busy organizing boats and timeshare's, and me and my brother's would fish and swim. We would usually go down and move houseboats uplake, so they could be rented again. This trip would take two or three days and was a most favorite job, tying the boats together, driving through some of the most beautiful land earth has to offer. My favorite time was spent onshore, fishing like a psycho, stopping only to chug a drink and down a hoagie mom had made, I didn't even stop to pee (you can hold one rod in the right hand and the other in your left).
Well as I got older and hunting became as inclusive as the fishing had always been, my fancy had become enamored with archery, and I spent every day after school shooting in the back yard. My fingers got raw and my aim got smaller and smaller. And my father turned me on to bowfishing, he had always taken his bow to Powell with us, and I had witnessed some fine shots. As an impressionable youth I thought the combination of fishing and hunting was the crux of outdoor satisfaction. So every summer, I would wade through the waist deep water's of Lake Powell, stalking my prey like an overweight blond heron. I learned quickly that herons and egrets move they way they do for good reason, and just as quickly, I perfected my skills.
It was June 10th, I dont remember the year as they have all washed together in my mind. I just remember the underwater orgy of fish that I found myself surrounded by, and I looked down at my deeply tanned and dry wrist looking at my Casio watch my Dad had gotten me. June tenth was the day that I learned how Carp spawn, the shoreline was a literal frenzy of fish competing for each other's affections. I had shot previously unbelievable amounts of Carp, and their yellow corpses littered the rocks, and the Crow's fought and squawked over them.
After a long morning of hunting, and having refreshed myself with a quick lunch. I went back to it, sneaking slowly along the shore line, my eye's picking out only the faint outline of dorsal fins just under the water's murky surface. Occasionally the fin would even break the surface, and give away the fish's depth, and my arrow would find it's mark just below the surface. In this way I made my way farther and farther down the shoreline, feeling the turbulence of escaping fish on the tops of my bare feet, stinging from the constant brushing against green tumbleweeds that grew along the shore.
I made my way to a point, that clearly held some fish in the shallow water atop one of Powell's underwater rock formations. The sun beat down on my sun bleached hair, burning on my bareback as I slowly moved towards the bountiful harvest I knew awaited me in the moving water's ahead. From a distance of probably twenty yards or so, my watering and squinted but trained eye's began to make out the shapes of the fish. The angle of the reflective image through the water made it very difficult to judge exactly where I should shoot, but having spent so much time judging these shots in knee deep water, it was just a simple calculation in my mind. My plan was to shoot into the seemly ball of fish that were spawning, and get as many as possible onto my fiberglass arrow. Just as I was preparing my movements to draw my father's thirty something year old recurve bow, given to him by his father, my eye's made out something I wasn't prepared for.
It's hard to make out individual fish in such a ball, but this one easily took up three or four other's space. I focused hard and could see what appeared to be a large female, being courted by unknown masses of smaller males. My young heart jumped as I realized it was simply the biggest fish I had ever had the chance to shoot. She sat there still as the others moved about her rapidly, all of them ignorant to the deadly shaft I slowly brought to bear on them. I squinted my eye, and waited for a moment to get a clear shot. The opening would exist for a fleeting second so I knew my time would be short, and as I released the arrow time slowed, and sound faded away, as my every sense focused on the flight of that arrow. The familiar sound of line spinning off the spool, and the humming vibration resonated back to me from it. I watched my arrow break the water's surface, and it came to an abrupt stop, the knock, and several inches of arrow still exposed above the water. It didn't move, but seemed to mock me in its motionless stance. The fish that surrounded my now not so menacing arrow, didn't even seem to notice it's presence between them. It was as if they hadn't even noticed, my heart stopped, and I thought to myself;"you missed!! how could you miss? there was more fish there than water!!" Not wanting to spook them, I stood there motionless, watching closely to see if I could tell what had happened. My arrow was clearly poking out of a bunch of fish, so I slowly and gently pulled back on the time weathered string. As it came tight, I could simply not believe my eyes as the big female I had intended on hitting slowly moved towards me in the water, the other's continued courting her not knowing that her dark eye's could see no longer. My heart raced as I recognized was had happened. My arrow had made its way through her back alongside her spine, and had entered the base of her bony skull. She didn't even move, but was dead on impact.
I shouted full of excitement back to my family who were still on the houseboat a hundred or so yards away. I lugged my prize out of the water and back to the boat beaming with pride over my trophy. And at the time, a shot of a lifetime.

I have never recorded a hit on anything past 500 yards. I do, however, have the following kill shots under my belt...

1.) I was hunting tweety birds with my Red Rider off of my back porch when I was about 8 years old. Since we had feeders ON the back porch, it was easy pickens. I missed this chickadee with the first shot. I worked the action and took another shot while the bird was flying away. I watched the sun glisten off that .177 copperhead all the way to impact when he folded up and hit the ground at precisely 32 paces.

2.) July 4th, 1999. I was 9 y/o and my dad and I were swimming at Bimini Lake. For some reason, we brought the wrist rocket with us that day, and we were shooting rocks as far as we could across the lake. A single duck wandered near the beach while we were in the water. I picked a rock from the bottom, took aim, and let the rubber rip. The lone Mallard hen never knew what hit her. A sharp edge on the rock must have hit just right, because it partially severed her head. I was in chest deep water, and she died about 15 yards from shore.

3.) Black Bear camp, S.B. Elliot State Park, Clearfield, Pa. So our bear camp brings a really fun crew of about 30 guys together every year. The camp is a P.O.S. , mouse infested, run down place with no electricity, running water, or cell phone service. One night we were drinking beer and shooting darts at the Widdy board. We had been seeing a particular mouse out and about this night. I was eyeing up my 2nd dart in the 6th inning of our game of baseball when I saw the rodent scurry out from under the decaying krome-foam insulation board. I didnt hesitate or think twice before i tossed that dart at the mouse. Next thing i knew, the poor bastard was center-punched and nailed to the wooden floor, legs still going a mile a minute. Next morning, 'Mousey' was dubbed my camp nickname.

My newest best kill shot happened on the last day of NY deer muzzleloading season last year.While I didn't get a shot at a deer,a lone coyote came by my ground blind at dusk.My brother kicked him up and he was trotting by at a good clip.I fired as he came into a small opening in the trees and he went down.I couldn't believe it.My brother came over and we checked it out.The bullet riccoched off a tree and hit it right in the head.He was 70 yards away.

This comes to mind.
08-11-10075-1.jpg
08-11-10076.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My newest best kill shot happened on the last day of NY deer muzzleloading season last year.While I didn't get a shot at a deer,a lone coyote came by my ground blind at dusk.My brother kicked him up and he was trotting by at a good clip.I fired as he came into a small opening in the trees and he went down.I couldn't believe it.My brother came over and we checked it out.The bullet riccoched off a tree and hit it right in the head.He was 70 yards away. </div></div>
So your best shot was an accident? Or did you bounce it of the tree on purpose?
laugh.gif

700yd 1st rd hit on prairie dog with a .308 10x us optics scope. witnessed by whoshotya here on the hide.

just after dark, 115yd off hand with an old 30.06 (leaning on the passenger door of a truck), tore the jackrabbit in half! I left him for the coyotes.

Well, if we're going backwards in time.....

When I was 10 yrs. old my folks got divorced. For various reseasons I ended up being farmed out to my grandparents on my fathers side of the family. On the farm we had beef cows, dairy cows, and hogs. There was very little money to go around. The one thing I wanted and never had to ask twice for was 22 rimfire ammo.

The work schedule was strict and not negotiable. Milking in the morning, school during the day,and milking and chores in the evening. The rest of the time I was free to chase whatever I chose to with the rusty old single shot 22 I had.

We had groves of trees full of birds and rabbits and pastures full of gophers. I recall the time I spent hunting as the only time in my youth I had any sense of peace. No one shot stands out in my mind, but I know I made offhand shots with that 22 (complete with a penny under the rear sight for elevation) that I would find hard to duplicate with a scoped centerfire today. To this day I remain convinced that I was good at it because I didn't know it was supposed to be hard.

I was actually looking to bank it off of two trees !!!
wink.gif

There's some very entertaining stories here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my human host</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The rest of the time I was free to chase whatever I chose to with the rusty old single shot 22 I had.

We had groves of trees full of birds and rabbits and pastures full of gophers. I recall the time I spent hunting as the only time in my youth I had any sense of peace. No one shot stands out in my mind, but I know I made offhand shots with that 22 (complete with a penny under the rear sight for elevation) that I would find hard to duplicate with a scoped centerfire today. To this day I remain convinced that I was good at it because I didn't know it was supposed to be hard.</div></div>
I know exactly what you mean! I have an old Springfield single shot that has bandage-like tape that literally holds the rear sight leaf on, which my father claims it's been there since before he received the gun in the 60's. Like you said, some damn amazing (consistently lucky?) shots were made with that thing.

I, too, find that the more I've learned about whats actually happening during a shot, the more I understand the difficulties, the more I think about shooting...the more I F*#@ it up! haha

I was 15 yrs old, the first time I deer hunted. The first deer I shot at. In my state its slug only. The deer was 80 yds standing still. I emptied my gun and never touched the deer. The deer decides that Im no threat so it lays down. I reload my gun and walk to the deer. The deer jumps at 4 paces, I had 4 slugs in the deer before it got one bound in. Not a great kill shot but memorable.

Bull elk at 200 yards that I had about a "one thousand one" interval in which to determine if he was legal and make the shot as he moved through a gap in the vegetation. 30-06 went right through his heart and he went 10 yards and dropped.

I was pheasant hunting in SD when I was 18 and a rooster burst about 2 feet to my right. I instinctively shot from the hip and it was down less than 10 feet from me. This all happened within a quarter of a second. While this may not have been the most difficult shot, it happened soooo fast that I couldn't believe it. There was a rather large hole in the bird that was filled with shot, (I don't think a single #6 bb missed,) but I was so proud of it that I picked the shot out of it for an hour and a half just so I could have it for dinner that night.

Buck, this last season. Shot it in the neck--it was all I had to shoot, Head behind a tree, body hidden. Shot it in the neck, he dropped where he stood and never knew what hit him.

23 years ago this Jersey city slicker (me) goes to Lackawanna County PA to hunt small game with with my roommate from college and his buddies who all grew up hunting (picture a scene from My Cousin Vinny). I've never held a gun before in my life. My buddy hands me a 12 ga and we start walking the brush line looking for rabbits. They are all on their 2nd box of shells and I haven't fired a shot. We get close to the end of the brush line and they put me at the very end to cover any rabbits that run across the opening to the next brush line. I hunker down behind a bale of hay and wait. Movement... I see a blur of brown go across the opening like it was shot out of a cannon. I'm not sure what happened next, but I'm pretty sure I was acting in self defense. I swung the shotgun and fired. At about 3 yards, the rabbits head was completely blown off. My buddy and the rest of the hunting party were completely amazed. They accused my of sand-bagging all day. Fast forward 23 years and hundreds of shells later, I have yet to hit another rabbit. But that day I was instantly hooked on guns and hunting.

11 years old with a red Ryder BB gun. Aimed a couple feet above one of those really small finch birds in the very top of a tall oak and a good 30 yards from the base of the tree. I was stunned when it dropped like a rock, perfect one in a million headshot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WB300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">23 years ago this Jersey city slicker (me) goes to Lackawanna County PA to hunt small game with with my roommate from college and his buddies who all grew up hunting (picture a scene from My Cousin Vinny). I've never held a gun before in my life. My buddy hands me a 12 ga and we start walking the brush line looking for rabbits. They are all on their 2nd box of shells and I haven't fired a shot. We get close to the end of the brush line and they put me at the very end to cover any rabbits that run across the opening to the next brush line. I hunker down behind a bale of hay and wait. Movement... I see a blur of brown go across the opening like it was shot out of a cannon. I'm not sure what happened next, but I'm pretty sure I was acting in self defense. I swung the shotgun and fired. At about 3 yards, the rabbits head was completely blown off. My buddy and the rest of the hunting party were completely amazed. They accused my of sand-bagging all day. Fast forward 23 years and hundreds of shells later, I have yet to hit another rabbit. But that day I was instantly hooked on guns and hunting.</div></div>

HAha. Loved this story. I gave up hunting them with a shotgun 2 years ago since it had become boringly easy, but I know MANY people that fall into the same category as you.

I think my most useful kill shot had to be just a few months ago as I was in the process of getting to know my future in-laws. The MIL loves pecans and subsequently has developed a hatred of squirrels that raided her pecan trees. I found myself presented with a golden opportunity as her other SIL had left a Beeman air rifle at the house. I had taken it out and missed a couple times and was in the process of sighting it in when the FIL came by. He teasingly asked if the squirrels weren't dying obediently like I had hoped and was clearly thinking this legendary marksman that his daughter had told him about wasn't quite what she had said. I made a final adjustment to the scope and told him that I was pretty sure the squirrels would begin to learn obedience from now on. He chuckled and turned to leave. Just as he did, a squirrel popped around the side of a tree some 25 yards away. I remarked that I guessed we would see now if the rifle was up to snuff and pointed to the squirrel. I very casually pulled up and centered the dim 4x scope on the squirrel's chest. "Guess we'll see....(exhale...hold) POP! ...if this thing is on." I was rewarded with the satisfying Thwap! of a solid hit. The rascal did a highly theatrical back-flip and then a second later I heard him fall. The father in law was still skeptical, but curious now and followed me to the base of the tree. Seeing the rodent spread out dead as a doornail, he smiled a bit and said, "Hmmm...quite the shot." Over the course of the next week I dropped 8 squirrels and even had the chance to help my fiance make her first kill (so hott). Perhaps the icing on the cake was the wicked satisfaction of startling the FIL by dropping a crow from the very top branches of a pine tree practically at his feet. A 35 yard crow kill with a .177 cal pellet rifle doesn't hurt a guy's image with the future in laws, right?

I can't tell for sure yet, but I believe that I have left the impression that I am a demigod of rifle shooting...and intend to keep that illusion in place as long as possible!

-The Kid.

Out pheasant and squirrel hunting with Ply1951Guy when we were in college.

A pheasant bolts across the trail about 60yd out from us and caught us both by surprise. He had the pump 12 and I had a Rossi pump 22.

Not 10s later a chipmunk pulled the same stunt, I snapped up the 22 and drilled him. Not edible or useful in anyway but I was pretty pleased with the shot.

275 yards +/-, .22 short, single shot Winchester model 67, Bufflehead duck drake swimming in little circles on a farm pond, wind is kicking.

1st shot low and right, Kentucky windage and elevation, 2nd shot flapping dying duck on pond.

I really didn't kill that duck, God just wanted it dead.

Head shot a mule deer doe, 150 yards, staring straight at me, off hand 25-06 between the eyes. My scope went white when she did a back flip and all I saw was belly hair. Good eating, no blood shot meat.

12 yrs old

First time I went deer hunting. My parents baught me a youth model Remington 700 in .243 with a Simmons 44 mag scope for my birthday.
Our lease is kinda next door to a game warden. I heard beagles barking towards the game wardens property (you cant see his property through all the trees) and saw a small buck running through the woods. I posted up in the lane in front of me hoping he runs out. Seconds later he runs out and and was running away from my direction diagonally and all I could see was his ass and tail 100 yards in front of me. I quickly scope in on him and squeeze the trigger and I saw him buck in the air. He starts running towards the wood line and falls without any movement afterwards.
So I start walking down the lane towards my deer. I see what looks like someone took a 5 galon bucket full of blood and spreaded it all over the place with bits and peices of heart and lung.
I inspected my shot: right behind the left shoulder blade and out the chest, just right (lateral) of the sternum.
Minutes later the game warden shows up asking us if we're hunting with dogs ( illegal in Texas)...even though it was his dogs that were barking...
When we skinned him, it was hard to tell what was a heart and what what's the lung as the heart and one of the lungs were completely mush.
The round I used was a 100gr core-lokt from Remington

Last spring (2011) a few friends and I were getting ready to shoot milk jugs and steel out to 600ish yards. Were all setting up rifles on the edge of the field we were at and another friend spots a crow out in the field. So while the other friend is laying behind his AR trying to find the crow, I quietly turn a few clicks on the old NF and send a 75gr. A-Max out of the .223Ai and drop that crow dead in it's tracks. Later that day I measured the distance on the gps 589 yards. Cold bore shot, first round of the day with everyone there watching. Good day it was

one year ago.

so i had a day off of work and like all of us, i wanted to sleep in...unfortunately, there is a walnut tree across the street from my house at the neighbors'. crows love eating them! well, this morning the crows thought they would bring the nuts over to my roof and bang on my roof to open the shell... waking me up!! this went on for a while. finally, i got up... checked out what was going on and made a plan... i threw some bread crumbs out on my lawn, cracked my screen door enough to shoot through and went to get my bow. i stood in the shadows across the room against the wall. as i saw a bird coming for the crumbs, i drew back. as soon as he was in line for me to take a shot, i released... crow down!!! i took three this way! and i havent had a problem with them waking me up since. ahha.

Here's another good one that Northern 50's post reminded me of.

Shooting 900 yds at a rock checking to see how good of group I could muster, and after the third shot, a magpie flew up and landed behind the rock. First shot missed and he flew a few feet. Second shot............

900ydmagpie2.jpg

If you look at the berm (lightly colored line) just left of the brim of my hat, you can see where he was.