• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your take on gun insurance

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    So lately I've been going back and forth on whether to finally get home insurance on my firearms. It's the only real way to insure that the money I have spent will not be lost no matter what happens.

On the other hand there is a major downside. From my understanding, I would have to give them an itemized list, oncluding serial numbers, of all the firearms I have. I'm generally anti- tin foil hat. However in the state of the politics right now, something about anyone having a detailed list like that, worries me.

What is your guys take in this?

Homeowners will only cover up to a certain amount. Mine will only cover up to $5000....which isn't anything. It's one complete rifle and scope.

Become an NRA Life Member (which includes $5,000 in insurance) and look at getting the additional coverage if needed. Double check the NRA Life Member coverage...I'm going from memory.

Not a good idea. Your homeowners should cover it.

Most homeowners will only cover $1000-1500 if you don't have a policy for your firearms. Same goes for tools, the wife's jewelry and other stuff like that.

I dis-agree very strongly, Jerry. Home-owners insurance some times has small print limiting the amount of fire-arms protection. It often will not cover all of the true value of the fire-arms.
    NRA Members can get low cost insurance for their fire-arms through the NRA. I have a policy that covers all my fire-arms, even in a locked vehicle, does NOT have a list of fire-arms under the value of $1500/single fire-arm (I listed one custom build, with a brief description of rifle, scope, etc but NO Serial Number).

Last year I bought $15,000.00 coverage for $189.00

I think giving a list or even creating a market for guns separately will lay the ground work for further regulation. Look back at health insurance, auto insurance, any insurance that falls under regulation of the government at every level because of the interstate comerce clause. Just not a good idea to tell other people/governments what you own in my opinion.

My homeowners want a list and full appraisals for anything I wanted scheduled.

I went with the NRA insurance through Lockton.

I personally don't care about having to give a list since they do a background check every time I purchase a gun so there is a paper trail with all the info on the guns.

I just purchased insurance through the NRA. Has anyone ever had to use their insurance? Just curious how difficult it is to actually get your money if something did happen.

I just purchased insurance through the NRA. Has anyone ever had to use their insurance? Just curious how difficult it is to actually get your money if something did happen.

This... I know generally with big companies they don't hassle you. U report the I cident and get reimbursed. What about with smaller insurance companies like nra

I have USAA car left over from the army, got married and now it does vehicles and home and we called to put weapons on there and they said total it up and they'd give us a quote. If there's a limit, it's high. They cover pretty much everything. But yeah, they'll do it and you should do it too. Serial numbers, costs, pictures, etc. Make a big file and then make an abstract with the family photo to put on top and send them a copy. Different insurance carriers may want different things, USAA had a list of stuff they wanted done, so call 'em and find out.

I heard some stopped insuring firearms after Newtown for political reasons or that they'd raise your homeowners rates if you had 'em. This could be conjecture, but I just don't know for certain. I'd find out though, you may have to switch carriers to find one that'll carry all your stuff, you know?

You should also get that TL30 safe too! Be patient! It's worth it!

I checked with a couple insurance companies about renters insurance and specifically about my firearms. Most said home owners and renters insurance only covered up to &1500 total toe firearms. I ended up getting a rider on my renters to cover my most expensive guns and the renters will take care of the rest. They just asked for an guestimation on the value on the rider. I took detailed pics of all my guns and accessories just in case.

I personally don't care about having to give a list since they do a background check every time I purchase a gun so there is a paper trail with all the info on the guns.

The serial numbers are only recorded by the FFL and placed in it's files. The federal government does not maintain a catalogue of serial numbers of individual owners. The are confirming that the purchaser is not disqualified from purchasing a firearm. If you wanted the serial numbers or owners of a specific firearm you would have to know which FFL the purchase of the firearm was made thru.

The serial numbers are only recorded by the FFL and placed in it's files. The federal government does not maintain a catalogue of serial numbers of individual owners. The are confirming that the purchaser is not disqualified from purchasing a firearm. If you wanted the serial numbers or owners of a specific firearm you would have to know which FFL the purchase of the firearm was made thru.

I have been told that many times, but I still don't buy it. Why does the ffl run the serial number when he does the background check?

--Daniel

Met with my agent recently and we discussed this very thing. I told him I have a safe and always keep it locked and only take out one or two at a time. So with fire and theft out of the equation he said he wouldn't really recommend I spend the money unless I just wanted to.

I have been told that many times, but I still don't buy it. Why does the ffl run the serial number when he does the background check?

--Daniel

My FFL has never ran a serial number with a background check for me. Most of the time he runs the check before there is even a known serial number. Once there is intent to purchase a firearm, a background check can be run. Some big box stores have a policy of having the gun in hand before the check, but it's not the law. I heard the background check call on speaker once and they never asked for a serial number.

The Feds don't keep track of all serial numbers if a gun is used in a crime and they want to find the owner they go to the manufacture and find out what ffl it was transferred to and then go on down the line from there.

As I said earlier, I have NRA Insurance through Lockton. I have read a couple of testimonials about how easy it was to get the claim paid after a disaster. I also have read numerous accounts of limits to gun coverage for regular home-owners or renters insurance, and they want lists most times in order to get a rider for extra coverage. Lockton only asks for a brief description of a fire-arm and it's accessories if that single fire-arm is over a certain value. Then, you briefly describe it with it's accessories, and state the price you want covered. Everything else is a lump sum value, and they do not want serial numbers for Anything, not even the listed fire-arms.

I would say that a company who loves fire-arms and is affiliated with the NRA is probably most likely to protect the privacy of its customers, and most likely to be easy to deal with in a fire-arms related loss claim.

I deal with P&C insurance with my occupation. Most companies will cover up to x amount as stated above. The kicker is shopping around. I work thorugh a company that shops the 30 top insurerers in the US for my clients. The key is to ask if they require itemizing on the firearm rider. Some compaines will not require appraisals or a list of items. When I had the comapny shop it for me, this was a strict part of the criteria. They found several companies the met my criteria and then shopped the rate. Come to find out, in comparison to the other companies that were more stringent, my rates were still awesome. Personally, I allow them to cover up to thier limit and then added the rider for the balance. It only cost me around $90ish/year. Well worth my piece of mind and not having to give them too much info.

OK, so I'm finally getting ready to get some insurance. Any recommendations on what companies to call, other than Lockton?

having recent experience with this. My comp gun got stolen about 3 months ago.

I had them scheduled, but i did not inform them about the upgrades. (I scheduled them 5 years ago). So the Comp gun was scheduled as a bone stock Rem PSS. Not the full blown custom it was when stolen.

They paid me the $1000.00 it was scheduled for. The scope that was stolen was on another gun at the time of the policy, so after some fighting they covered that scope.

Home owners covered $2500.00 for ALL SHOOTING ACCESSORIES! this is important. All the gear that goes with your shooting kit is covered with that 2500.00.

Anything over $3000.00 in value has to have a appraisal.

I was surprised how easy it was to get payment for the things listed. I had to fight for the upgraded value.

Moral to the story, DETAIL ALL YOUR GUN FOR REPLACEMENT VALUE. I had it through my homeowners where I also have all my other insurance. So that total package gives you some pull with your insurance agent. If you have everything with them, it would be a big hit to him personally if you left.

I have an Inland Marine Rider for all of my firearms and accessories. I have my list, #'s, accessories, and value. I pay on the value. Everything declared is covered. I have included receipts for custom work etc. Loss, fire, theft. I included the price of my stamps. Never had an issue. Easy peasy

Well I just signed up for the NRA lifetime and I'm getting ready to go through with Lockton to insure everything. Anyone have any actual experiences dealing with them?

I tried to google them and only came up with a few experiences, mostly good, except 1 where a gun was stolen from a car and since they couldn't find a sign of forced entry, they denied coverage.

My insurance is thru state farm. $20,000. I gave my agent pics and receipts no problem, not worried a bit. At least they are covered. Get a safe, an alarm and a good dog too. Security is multi layered. I have jewelry on it as well. Its about 220.00 a year. I'm not all that concerned about the jack booted thugs as of yet.

Depending on who you insure with it can be to your advantage. My insurance through USAA includes replacement of a weapon damaged through negligence. If at a 3gun or even traveling I screw up big time, and damage a weapon they will replace it. If I manage to double load a powder charge and damage the weapon they replace it. I have no deductible, and each weapon plus some other things are individually insured. Meaning Their is no cap, no limit. If tomorrow I come home and the entire collection is gone, they replace every single piece, the night vision, the lasers, lights, range finders, optics, reloading equipment, every single thing is covered. Home owners will not do that.

Depending on who you insure with it can be to your advantage. My insurance through USAA includes replacement of a weapon damaged through negligence. If at a 3gun or even traveling I screw up big time, and damage a weapon they will replace it. If I manage to double load a powder charge and damage the weapon they replace it. I have no deductible, and each weapon plus some other things are individually insured. Meaning Their is no cap, no limit. If tomorrow I come home and the entire collection is gone, they replace every single piece, the night vision, the lasers, lights, range finders, optics, reloading equipment, every single thing is covered. Home owners will not do that.
    Is this through your USAA home insurance or a separate policy? I use USAA as well, but I did not know they would insure firearms. They're a great insurance co.

I talked to my insurance agent (Liberty Mutual) 3 weeks ago about it when I received my AIAT. He is also a personal friend of mine. He warned against putting guns, jewelery or any type of item that would be a "questionable" claim on my home owners insurance and recommended me getting a seperate plan from a different insurance company. He said that if I were to make a claim on a gun or my wifes wedding ring, my home owners would sky rocket. nHe said if I made a $10K claim, that my insurance would go up so much that within 2-3 years, I would pay for that 10K claim with my insurance hike. I also have my vehicle insurance through them and he said that if I do not have the guns insured and a gun were stolen out of my car, they would only cover $2k Max. Same thing for a house fire and my guns were destroyed... 2K max. And that is not per gun. That is for all of my guns!
    I will get insurance for my guns but I will NOT get it through my home owners.

Last edited:
    OK, getting ready to call lockton tomorrow.

I'm reading their policy and it looks like what they cover is firearms and whatever is attached to those firearms. SO what about scopes that aren't attached, rangefinders, ammo,reloading equipment and etc.. Is all that covered under homeowners generally, or do I have to figure something else out for the others??

I talked to my insurance agent (Liberty Mutual) 3 weeks ago about it when I received my AIAT. He is also a personal friend of mine. He warned against putting guns, jewelery or any type of item that would be a "questionable" claim on my home owners insurance and recommended me getting a seperate plan from a different insurance company. He said that if I were to make a claim on a gun or my wifes wedding ring, my home owners would sky rocket. nHe said if I made a $10K claim, that my insurance would go up so much that within 2-3 years, I would pay for that 10K claim with my insurance hike. I also have my vehicle insurance through them and he said that if I do not have the guns insured and a gun were stolen out of my car, they would only cover $2k Max. Same thing for a house fire and my guns were destroyed... 2K max. And that is not per gun. That is for all of my guns!

This really makes me wonder why we even pay for insurance. To me, insurance is like a legal way of robbing people. They are betting that you never file a claim so in effect for years you are giving them money for no return and often times when/if you do have a claim they will low ball you, not pay out, or pay out and hike your premiums so hight to make up for what they gave you. Its almost like a scam. I mean sure if you need hundreds of thousands of dollars that you don't have then its great to have. I don't know I am just conflicted about the whole deal.

Look at it like this, if they charged you say $600 a year to protect x amount of Dan's $10,000 worth of firearms for the next 30 years then you have paid them $18,000. Dan never files a claim and decides to sell. They have made an $8000 profit from doing nothing. if 9 other people do this then they have made $180,000 and so on.

Ok, now take the same scenario but this time Dan makes a $10,000 claim, they pay out $7000 because of some rule they claim that they do not have to pay the full amount. Dan has been paying for his insurance as well as the other 9 people mentioned for 5 years at this point. Dan has paid into it $3000 at this point for coverage. So, they make $30,000 from premiums over 5 years and now Dan makes a claim in which they pay out $7,000 so they are still $23,000 in the good. Now since they made the pay out Dan's premium for the same amount of coverage doubles over the next 5 years while everyone else's stays the same. Dan at this point has paid $6000 back into the system out of his own pocket, which means he basically could have covered his own loss here and the insurance company is only out $1000. So, this entire time they have made $30,000 in 5 years, minus one $7000 claim, which drops them to a profit of $23,000 at this point, then Dan's premium goes up to where he pays $1200 for the next 5 years while the other 9 stay the same, this nets the insurance company a profit of $33,000 for that 5 year span. So, in 10 years they made $56,000 profit while only paying out one $4000 in claims from this group while Dan has learned that if he had not paid the insurance company all those years he could have basically covered his on claim and not had to pay double the premiums the next 5 years. You see where I am going here? For a lot of people its a wash and you might as well be giving money away. However, I will say when you need it for big pay outs and you don't have it you will wish you did.

Oh, and this is assuming that they keep everyone's rate the same. Often times after a claim, they raise everyone's monthly premiums by a specific amount which basically insures that they never have a loss. And, this is just 10 people, a very small sampling of the pool most insurance companies have.

Last edited:
    Screw the insurance. Get a credit card if you don't have the cash and get a GOOD safe, not a POS from the local sporting goods store. I'm talking AMSEC BF at minimum. Charge it to the card and use that insurance premium to pay towards it. I've got guns that can't be replaced with a check and is hard to put a price on, preventing a theft is the only option for me.

he's exactly right. Put your guns and wife's jewlry on a personal articles policy. if there is ever a claim there will be no deductible, your rates wont go up, and it also covers "Mysterious dissaperance" so if she loses her ring somewhere it's covered. best, and most cost effective way to cover it. This coming from a licensed insurance professional. :)

So my main concern is still all the stuff that isn't attached to the rifles (extra scopes, bipod, ammo, reloading equipment etc...). Is that all generally covered under homeowner insurance? It seems like the gun insurance policies like Lockton cover the guns and everything attached to them only.

So my main concern is still all the stuff that isn't attached to the rifles (extra scopes, bipod, ammo, reloading equipment etc...). Is that all generally covered under homeowner insurance? It seems like the gun insurance policies like Lockton cover the guns and everything attached to them only.

it's covered under personal property.

it's covered under personal property.

Even 4k scopes like a s&b?

So then, generally, the only things that aren't covered in the gun world by our home owners insurance is just the rifles themselves and anything attached to them?

(I know you can't talk guarantee all policies are the same, I'm asking in a 'general' sense)

Even 4k scopes like a s&b?

So then, generally, the only things that aren't covered in the gun world by our home owners insurance is just the rifles themselves and anything attached to them?

(I know you can't talk guarantee all policies are the same, I'm asking in a 'general' sense)

Typically, your home insurance policy will have a certain amount of coverage for firearms. All of your high end guns should be scheduled. Everything else such as scopes, bipods, spare stock that isn't attached to a gun would be covered under personal property. Your personal property coverage is usually a certain percentage of the home coverage. Typically it's 75%. So that means if you have a $200k home insurance policy then you have $150k to cover personal property. If your house burns down your getting a check for whatever that 75% is for the replacement of your personal property. A 4K rifle scope that isn't attached to a rifle is just a high end optic. No different than a 4k camera.

Typically, your home insurance policy will have a certain amount of coverage for firearms. All of your high end guns should be scheduled. Everything else such as scopes, bipods, spare stock that isn't attached to a gun would be covered under personal property. Your personal property coverage is usually a certain percentage of the home coverage. Typically it's 75%. So that means if you have a $200k home insurance policy then you have $150k to cover personal property. If your house burns down your getting a check for whatever that 75% is for the replacement of your personal property. A 4K rifle scope that isn't attached to a rifle is just a high end optic. No different than a 4k camera.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

This insurance business is about as clear as mud.

he's exactly right. Put your guns and wife's jewlry on a personal articles policy. if there is ever a claim there will be no deductible, your rates wont go up, and it also covers "Mysterious dissaperance" so if she loses her ring somewhere it's covered. best, and most cost effective way to cover it. This coming from a licensed insurance professional. :)

Do you have any companies you'd recommend for this type of policy?

Do you have any companies you'd recommend for this type of policy?

Any company that offers a personal articles policy. I use State Farm, they have been good to me. I'm sure there are some other companies that have lower premiums but for me it's piece of mind. I don't mind paying a little extra to know that if I ever have claim that they won't fight me on it. some of them smaller companies it seems always try to get out of a claim or there is always issues.