• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

YouTube Channels

Hickock45 is no one I would listen to about precision rifle marksmanship or products. And neither are any of the others mentioned above.
I would totally listen to what he says about western firearms like black powder, Colt SAA, Schofields, lever actions, etc. He gives a lot of good information on that. His videos on 1911s are good too. Agree with precision rifles though. Everyone has their place in this world. Hickok45 is a tremendous asset to the shooting community IMO.

This ^

Gotta go with the big names.
Unfortunately that’s true if you want the most exposure but you probably won’t get the best actual review. So many of the so called big names feel like infomercials and it’s hard to take them seriously. I subbed to a few new names on here that I wasn’t aware of. I like watching quality reviews and instructional stuff.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Unfortunately that’s true if you want the most exposure but you probably won’t get the best actual review. So many of the so called big names feel like infomercials and it’s hard to take them seriously. I subbed to a few new names on here that I wasn’t aware of. I like watching quality reviews and instructional stuff.
It’s not about a quality review. It’s about getting your new business/name/rifle out there and just let the masses see it. Seriously interested people will look further for more detailed information

as much as most of the reviews youtube or magazine always seem like infomercials it's because they are.

its a business, they have to make money as well.

if every firearm they shot was called a piece of junk how long would manufacturers send new products to them

add to it most of the time these reviews are of custom firearms, or very high end factory offerings

"homers" or not, if there is a review with a AI or Tacops rifle...of course it will be accurate etc

when is the last time you saw a review with a run of the mill rem700 in 300 winmag with a crappy scope on it shooting soft point ammo

the primary concerns when choosing a marketing avenue would be:

finding a outlet with as many subscribers as possible within the target demographic

finding a outlet with viewers who are influential in other disciplines, so there is crossover into other markets increasing exposure

finding a outlet who is capable of sending the correct message that is inline with the company ethos

just because there are views doesnt mean it will equate to sales..

whats the ratio of purchase to play when people "build" a ferrari on the website car builder

Hi,

There is a rather large difference between "reviews" and "marketing" not only in terms of videos but pretty much every aspect of business.

There are very very very few that do both real well. Most do not; which in of itself is not a problem until you realize they seriously think they do. lolol

In regards to media outlets giving just pure raw information....pretty much nobody is going to know our product better than we do (So whether I personally like it or not...Hoplite Arms will take the lead on that segment).

In regards to pure professional review paired with proper consumer fan base...pretty much nobody is going to be better at that than @lowlight. His platform has not only remained standing but is continuing to grow where lots have come and gone. IIRC Velayo is pretty tied at the hip with Tikka so without knowing the in/outs of that contract...that may be a mute direction.

In regards to pure working knowledge of precision rifles in which they have a legit following built upon laying the details out no matter where they fall...There are a few of them that can pull that off without sounding shill.

In regards to pure "audience" numbers...that is a double edged sword...pretty much they have the quantity but not the quality. It would kind of be like Smithfield hams paying to run a commercial during Ramadan. Not all numbers equate to sales.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
It’s not about a quality review. It’s about getting your new business/name/rifle out there and just let the masses see it. Seriously interested people will look further for more detailed information
That’s true and you will then need to get others to do a quality review so they will actually buy it. One review won’t cut it. But I agree, probably will want the biggest name out there to review your product then have others that actually know what they are doing review it second. Just stay away from Garand Thumb. Just watched a few of his videos last night and wow. Hard to take anything he says seriously.

Reactions: BillyTee
I don't disagree in context of Tactical prs and Gucci gear but JRB occassionally shoots 6ppc. Go ahead and tell me how groups in the .1s, .2s and .3s don't qualify as precision rifle marksmanship

Well, context matters. Hoplite Arms definitely slots in the "tactical prs and gucci gear" category. People who have 99% reloading content with very little shooting (and none in the context we're discussing here) are not relevant.

And no, shooting tiny groups from a bench doesn't automatically qualify as precision rifle marksmanship in the context (Hoplite Arms) discussed here.

I'm big into handgun competition, but channels dedicated to reloading minutia or bullseye or bowling pin matches mean jack shit to me because my context is USPSA (practical) handgun competition.

Reactions: Supersubes
When has he ever made a video/review that wasn't him droning on in his workshop for an hour straight.

I don't know who is more boring and hard to watch, him or nutnfancy.
He seems like a nice guy, but damn! Better sleep aids dont exist. I cant recall a single time I made it to the end of one of his videos.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
In regards to pure professional review paired with proper consumer fan base...pretty much nobody is going to be better at that than @lowlight. His platform has not only remained standing but is continuing to grow where lots have come and gone.

So perhaps Frank can do a series of reviews on the Hoplite rifles with help from a group of select "Presentation Assistants" that you hire from the Ukraine?
:unsure:

Sorry,

Distracted, so I can't answer stuff like I normally would,

But YT is pretty shitty for us lately, yes you can get decent views and it's good advertising but it's different today than before. Also know most of our views are suppressed and manipulated. We don't see what we should, they put a thumb on the scale

I think a series of campaigns using a variety of sources is the best policy. Guys like Phil are doing great stuff with plenty of attention. He can't be tied to Tikka, Beretta sucks and doesn't know how to do business.

I would pick people and highlight the skills, give a gamer a gun to video an event or stages, another to shoot long, another to do something else, have a variety of people to highlight different elements

Pain to manage but a better representation

I have multiple platforms for video release, because you just never know they can cut you off anytime

Well, context matters. Hoplite Arms definitely slots in the "tactical prs and gucci gear" category. People who have 99% reloading content with very little shooting (and none in the context we're discussing here) are not relevant.

Can someone link Hoplite's YouTube channel? The only one I can find that matches that name description has 11 subs and 4 videos. Tough to base relevancy off those stats.

And no, shooting tiny groups from a bench doesn't automatically qualify as precision rifle marksmanship in the context (Hoplite Arms) discussed here.

I'm big into handgun competition, but channels dedicated to reloading minutia or bullseye or bowling pin matches mean jack shit to me because my context is USPSA (practical) handgun competition.

1617811513595.png

Can someone link Hoplite's YouTube channel? The only one I can find that matches that name description has 11 subs and 4 videos. Tough to base relevancy off those stats.
Because YouTube sucks for gunnies.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Relevancy to what? The rest of the world doesn't know about Hoplite yet. The only good place for info is here, and the podcast he did with @BLKWLFK9. It isn't on YouTube other than that channel and I'm pretty sure he has only linked them here. Hoplite is still small on the internet.

If you haven't read the Hoplite thread you're missing out.

In way, it's almost better to write a script, film a couple, paid, 3 minute videos to include a comedy one and release those as wide as possible first... have some well made stuff to go with the grassroots campaign

Then get Creators to add in the details after, as noted, based on the strength of the shooter. Different guys tend to have a slightly different focus both in front of the camera and behind the rifle

The commercial videos can be good, as well make it easier by telling the production company to figure it out first then use the YT Creators to ad hoc it after ...

In way, it's almost better to write a script, film a couple, paid, 3 minute videos to include a comedy one and release those as wide as possible first... have some well made stuff to go with the grassroots campaign

Then get Creators to add in the details after, as noted, based on the strength of the shooter. Different guys tend to have a slightly different focus both in front of the camera and behind the rifle

The commercial videos can be good, as well make it easier by telling the production company to figure it out first then use the YT Creators to ad hoc it after ...

Hi,

As me and you have spoken about; your AI comp gun "Virtual Shot Show" nailed it and is a great example of how the industry is changing for the better.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: schmi015
A few that haven’t been mentioned:

Armageddon Gear has a pretty funny channel. Not sure if that’s the level of seriousness you’re looking for.

Kristen Joy Weiss because well...

Hi,

Because I suck at YouTube and leave video marketing and such to guys that do it for a living (Hence the reason of this thread, lol).
I run companies, build and develop for a living.

Sincerely,
Theis
I mean in general. YouTube is not a friendly place for guys like us.

That is the goal really,

I am not there right now, they are working on it, we are building in a set of features to help accomplish this better.

The "Virtual" nature can reach a wider audience of a diverse nature who is not held back from attending a closed overpriced Shot Show.

It's a two prong approach for the virtual side, one is the classroom to educate the consumer the second is the range to demonstrate. Both can be done virtually to reach a world wide audience

One of the best parts is, you have the footage which can be used again, and again, and again... even the Live Stream stuff is normally saved.

Eventually I want to use the App and Live Stream capabilities I am building into SH to create "shows" on here ... tune at 8 for Frank watching TV, stay tuned at 11PM Frank gets ready for bed...

There really had to be a multiple front approach to video today. One videos is not enough, and should be from multiple sources to lend credibility

In this order:
Caylin and Philip/Modern Day Sniper (3K)
8541 Tactical (105K)
Precision Rifle Network (29K)
Ballistic Magazine (63K)
Eric Cortina (65K)
Mark and Sam (68K)
Ultimate Reloader (206K)
TFB TV (1.1M)
Long range with the Lillies (4K)
Scott Satterlee (1K)

If you want other places that are gun channels to get the views:
Demolition Ranch (9.8M)
22 pinkster (670K)
Worrier Poet Society (402K)

TiborasaurusRex?? (256K)

tibasaursrex, that guy seems to have the most knowledge of any of the YouTube channels out there

• Haha
Hi,

The future marketing/exhibitions platform model will be something along these lines IMO.

@lowlight I am not only looking forward to see where you are going with the "virtual shows" but most definitely want to be part of it.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Community/ Industry assistance time!!

We are seeking your votes on the Top 3 YouTube (Snipers Hide is already accounted for without question) review channels specializing in precision rifles, military equipment or LE equipment.

Please post your recommendations.

We will contact the Top 3 around first of May to open discussions with them in regards to doing a hybrid (live/recorded) show highlighting the new Aspis weapon system with us.

Sincerely,
Theis
I really like Impact Shooting. Very good videos centered on PRS with a dash of hunting. They are based out of South Africa though so it's going to be hard to ship them things.

Reactions: redtr6man
I really like Impact Shooting. Very good videos centered on PRS with a dash of hunting. They are based out of South Africa though so it's going to be hard to ship them things.

Hi,

As I have mentioned before.....There is no such thing as hard to ship. Most all firearms have been removed from DDTC control and placed into Dept of Commerce regulation in which most countries are simply submit a form and NLR (No license required) for the exportation.

The biggest real ISSUE with Impact Shooting (As previously mentioned)....that channel is put on by MDT. Ever see him do anything with a bolt action rifle that isn't MDT chassis or stock???

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

As I have mentioned before.....There is no such thing as hard to ship. Most all firearms have been removed from DDTC control and placed into Dept of Commerce regulation in which most countries are simply submit a form and NLR (No license required) for the exportation.

The biggest real ISSUE with Impact Shooting (As previously mentioned)....that channel is put on by MDT. Ever see him do anything with a bolt action rifle that isn't MDT chassis or stock???

Sincerely,
Theis
On your end it's one thing. On the receiving end it's another. They have to serialize their barrels and all sorts of things like that. He has a few videos up about how to get guns into South Africa. Might an interesting watch for you.

Here is the channel. This is one of my favorite videos of his. Has a lot more PRS content. On several of the other videos he goes into a lot of detail about how hard it is to import a firearm into South Africa. At very least he might be able to help you create a video that will be extremely eye catching (and give you an excuse to get to South Africa).

You are trying to tell @THEIS the one who will quote you chapter and verse of exactly what form you have to fill out (that you have never heard of before), the exact classification of said item, and exactly what other information you have to have and do in what order for imports or exports that something is going to be hard to ship?

Hahahaahahahahahaha

Do you realize what Theis use to do?
He worked for the state department in the DDTC.

• Haha

MDT is his channel sponsor and he has a side business importing stuff into South Africa.

He does do videos for other people though. For sure he does. He might not be the star of the show but you can show up and wind up with an awesome video.

Hi,

I import and export for a living..retired from DDTC and consult to Dept of Commerce, lol.

Not a single hunters rifle or competitive shooters rifle has ever been serialized upon entering ZA for anything related to anything on temporary entry basis. And that temporary basis can be for up to 1 year.

Sincerely,
Theis

You are trying to tell Theis the one who will quote you chapter and verse of exactly what form you have to fill out (that you have never heard of before), the exact classification of said item, and exactly what other information you have to have and do in what order for imports or exports that something is going to be hard to ship?

Hahahaahahahahahaha

Do you realize what Theis use to do?
He worked for the state department in the DDTC.
Shut the fuck up man. Sorry for the french.

I said that the firearms laws in South Africa are a royal pain in the ass. Everything from getting a license to own a gun to the insanity to import. It's sort of like our NFA only worse...Peter (the Impact Shooting guy) goes into some of the insanity their laws on that end require.

• Haha
So when I bring my hoplite rifle there for a red stag hunt they won’t stamp it lol

So when I bring my hoplite rifle there for a red stag hunt they won’t stamp it lol

Hi,

Correct, lolol...no defacing it of any kind with any sort of ZA huudoo vudoo.

In your case you will get the official invite from the licensed PH and/or Guide service.
I will submit to Dept of Commerce and file the serial number as being temporarily exported to ZA; log it into the AES and away you go.

Sincerely,
Theis

Ever see him do anything with a bolt action rifle that isn't MDT chassis or stock?
Probably because everyone keeps thinking he won't ? His personal sponsor is MDT (and others). They don't own him, or his channel.

Costs nothing to ask him.

Same with Phil, he isn't married to tikka, or gunworks, it's just the gear he has. Get him new gear and he will shine.

Hi,

Owning.............
Importation based on context of this thread...................

Slightly different definitions, lol

ALL that is required to temporarily import a firearm into ZA:
  • Valid passport
  • Return airline ticket
  • Letter of invitation from your hunting outfitter(s)
  • Completed SAP 520 Form (Not signed - must be signed in front of the official)
  • Proof of ownership (CBP Form 4457- Certificate of Registration for personal effects taken abroad)
  • Proof of export from country of origin (CBP Form 4457- Certificate of Registration for personal effects take abroad)

That is IT, PERIOD!!!

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: DJL2
The value in Ultimate Reloader is more in seeing items unboxed, assembled and used, I’m somewhat isolated so can’t handle stuff prior to buying.
8541 tactical seems like a decent bloke, Erik Cortina but not in April,
Fclass John,
I like Reese on the range too, you can see the journey he’s on and I like his approach, and for relaxation MeatEater surprised no one mentioned him.
Just waiting on FrankTube now so I don’t support the other thing

Probably because everyone keeps thinking he won't ? His personal sponsor is MDT (and others). They don't own him, or his channel.

Costs nothing to ask him.

Same with Phil, he isn't married to tikka, or gunworks, it's just the gear he has. Get him new gear and he will shine.

Hi,

To be fair none of us know what agreements any of them have signed.

And Phil hasn't worked for Gunwerks in several months but I can assure you that he wasn't allowed to teach a class with someone else's rifle while he worked there.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

To be fair none of us know what agreements any of them have signed.

And Phil hasn't worked for Gunwerks in several months but I can assure you that he wasn't allowed to teach a class with someone else's rifle while he worked there.

Sincerely,
Theis
Didn't know these things, so thank you for clearing that up.

Teaching a class with gun made by your employer, that's a no brainer.

I sponsor 3 shooters here in Australia, and have no issue with them shooting other peoples, or companies guns. During competition or official events we prefer they use our gear, smith'd firearms, etc, but we sponsor attitude and personality, not podiums (which are a nice benefit, I won't lie).

The YouTube channels I suggested earlier are about how they present, and their attitude, and tried to justify each one accordingly.

At the end of all this, I'm sure you will find a great fit for your company and promotion team you end up picking. The hide will watch whoever does it, but you are not pitching to us. We are already behind you on this, you want to pitch to people who don't know, and a good way to do that is to convert the promoter so they believe in your product too, not just become a paid shill.

Hi,

Owning.............
Importation based on context of this thread...................

Slightly different definitions, lol

ALL that is required to temporarily import a firearm into ZA:
  • Valid passport
  • Return airline ticket
  • Letter of invitation from your hunting outfitter(s)
  • Completed SAP 520 Form (Not signed - must be signed in front of the official)
  • Proof of ownership (CBP Form 4457- Certificate of Registration for personal effects taken abroad)
  • Proof of export from country of origin (CBP Form 4457- Certificate of Registration for personal effects take abroad)

That is IT, PERIOD!!!

Sincerely,
Theis
For the context of this thread (the sub conversation) has gone way into the weeds a bit more than it should.

In the video I posted above around the 10 min mark he goes into a little bit about rebarreling a rifle in South Africa. Again this is about ownership not just a temporary import.

To get another barrel (say to swap from 308 to 6.5 CM or something like that it requires basically going through an entirely new licensing process (again for ownership). Which would be kind of like needing to replace a baffle in a suppressor here (in the US) but instead of mailing it to the manufacturer you have to go through the entire NFA process all over. That basically means you have to have a new license for the new barrel not just the complete firearm, which requires all sorts of things. I certainly love South Africa (lived there before) but those laws suck.

For temporary importing for purposes of a video or whatever that is much easier.

All I know is for them to own a firearm at all (period) is a royal pain in the ass. I know that's not your intent in this thread. They have to show a firearms license even to get ammo. And if you are licensed for 9mm but you get caught with .45 ammo it's a criminal offense. Insane.

Anyway I follow a bunch of channels but I can't put my finger on one that is specific to what (I think) you are looking for. That said I know Pete would definitely be a fixer for you and hook you up with a good hunt and have a turn key video that would be top notch. I personally think that would be an awesome approach rather than trying to get someone else to do a quick review on a gun. It would be more like a promo video but you would be able to retain control over it and not be subjected to the sometimes weird personalities involved.

I have spent some time on YouTube, but there are also some channels I'm just now learning of. Thanks to this thread I'll be checking out 8541 Tactical more. Watched one of his just now, and seems good.

In the past I've watched boring stuff like Nutnfancy. Kinda like how he just does his own thing, and doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the masses, but it just gets old real fast listening to the long rants...

I've watched polarizing figures such as TiborasaurusRex, and James Yeager. Both have had good things to say, and have gone off the deep end at times, but I watch for the info, so I don't care how popular they are... or not.

I enjoy Hickok45. I enjoy Warrior Poet Society. I like Vickers. I watch Skallagrim when I need to know about large bladed weapons. Tactical Rifleman is cool. I listen to Newsmax to get a different view on things. I watch some overlanding channels.

I love watching music videos, and there is this one chick (vocal coach) who does reviews on performances... The Charismatic Voice. Whoever she is... She's drop dead gorgeous. The way her eyes light up, and she crinkles up her face when she gets excited...

Last edited:
Reactions: RedTimber
Gavintoobe is legit, a fucking commercial for whoever’s shipped him whatever they’ve shipped him. It’s pathetic sometimes. How can everything be perfect and awesome all the time?

I’m not knocking the guy, his videos are well done and I support a guys decision to make money doing what he enjoys.

But his videos all read like a paid infomercial because they are. All his product videos are paid for and they pay him well for them. I know because when I was launching the tmb I reached out and spoke with pretty much all of the main YouTube guys and the majority all ask for the product to keep and money for videos now a days and if you can’t be bothered dealing with multiple guys then there’s even advertising agencies that do it for you, you pay them and they manage the YouTube channels and social media accounts they work with.

People just need to understand who the shills are and enjoy those videos for what they are. People just shilling because they want more free stuff or people being paid to advertise something.

In the precision rifle world there’s very few legitimate review based channels. Which is certainly an opportunity for sure.

Reactions: THEIS
Exactly this. I didn't mention a few channels for this reason, money grabbers who think their shit doesn't stink.

If you realise what is happening and how they work, it's all good and you can have a good relationship, just be aware.

If they are a "youtube personality" they are exactly that, a personality. They are advertising themselves repeatedly, and just happen to have different products.

Just get Vickers, Galli and maybe Phil/caylen all at Frank's range and let them ALL film, do their thing, but you also get a "combined" one.

Have Frank release first, then MDS a fortnight later, then Larry about 2 weeks after that. You then can release the "combined" (fun / B-roll) footage yourself. That will keep it up there with viewership and information and details high.

Logistically it could be hard.