• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes YT video about turret test/abuse

6mmPRC

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2020
Germany
Hello Snipers Hide.

I have just seen the scope reviews on youtube, coming from "Cyclops". I actually find the videos interesting, seeing how much abuse the turrets can take, and still return to zero.

I am wondering thou. If you dial that much, that fast on the turrets. Will the erector spring get warm because of the many rapid cycles of compression / no compression, and could that heat on the spring weaken it a small amount? I suspect, that leaf springs would be getting a higer temperature than coil springs? I think the windage erector spring ( if its not a shared spring for windage/elevation tension of course ) , wich sometimes is smaller would suffer from this?

Is it at all possible to heat the erector spring in this way? i know its not getting HOT, but maybe it just gets a little warm, and that will weaken the metal spring just a little bit?

The kind of videos im talking about:

Last edited:
You do realize that spring steel needs to get to hundreds of degrees fahrenheit to start to significantly change in mechanical properties?

No, i did not know that. To be honest, i thourgt that just moderate heating of metal would weaken it when it comes from "bending / compression" and such.

If moderate heating of metal affected it's structural integrity, we'd still be living in mud huts.

This does basically nothing. The turret is acting on threaded part/screw that acts on the erector system and the travel it makes per click is minimal so the spring barely moves at all (even with a full turret rotation) in this scenario. The only thing that would be under slightly more stress than usual is the click mechanism. (Which is also negligible unless it is a very very cheap scope)

The only thing this test could really show is, if there is an reversal error in the turret when you change directions.

Last edited:
This does basically nothing. The turret is acting on threaded part/screw that acts on the erector system and the travel it makes per click is minimal so the spring barely moves at all (even with a full turret rotation) in this scenario. The only thing that would be under slightly more stress than usual is the click mechanism. (Which is also negligible unless it is a very very cheap scope)

The only thing this test could really show is, if there is an reversal error in the turret when you change directions.

Ohh, i actually thourgt that the spring did a fair amount of compression when the turret was dialed all the way? Does it really barely move? I thourgt maybe it would move about 1cm or so. Wouldent that produce some kinda heat?

Nothing like legit negligent use of a firearm on a YouTube video...booze and guns...no wonder he’s missing an eye!

Who knew my reloads and bolt manipulations were wrong all of this time, I didn’t realize I was supposed to stick my tongue out each time

If moderate heating of metal affected it's structural integrity, we'd still be living in mud huts.

But the compression and decompression of a leaf spring in a scope, like in the YT video, wouldent it produce heat in the metal? And would that not be a bad thing at all?

Joe is an ok guy , he lost his eye when some guys jumped him.
He will nipple twist them turrets.

Ohh, i actually thourgt that the spring did a fair amount of compression when the turret was dialed all the way? Does it really barely move? I thourgt maybe it would move about 1cm or so. Wouldent that produce some kinda heat?
You think the erector travels 10mm?!

But the compression and decompression of a leaf spring in a scope, like in the YT video, wouldent it produce heat in the metal? And would that not be a bad thing at all?
This has got to be the dumbest thing I've read all day, on an election day where half of the US voted for Biden.
If using a spring in such a manner was detrimental to it's integrity, how would your car ever make it out of your driveway without needing new springs?

Last edited:
Reactions: spife7980
You think the erector travels 10mm?!

Yes, that what i thougt, maybe a little less. But i thourgt that from one end to another, it would travel about that. 7mm to 1cm roughly. In a 30mm tube, how much do the erector averrage travel from one end to another?

This has got to be the dumbest thing I've read all day, on an election day where half of the US voted for Biden.
If using a spring in such a matter was detrimental to it's integrity, how would your car ever make it out of your driveway without needing new springs?

Cars have coil springs, i was under the impression that thin leaf springs where more affected by heat?

Yes, that what i thougt, maybe a little less. But i thourgt that from one end to another, it would travel about that. 7mm to 1cm roughly. In a 30mm tube, how much do the erector averrage travel from one end to another?
Maybe?! How many mils of travel does the scope have?

Cars have coil springs, i was under the impression that thin leaf springs where more affected by heat?
WHAT FUCKING HEAT?!?! Trucks run leaf springs...

Last edited:
WHAT FUCKING HEAT?!?! Trucks run leave springs...

The heat that is being produced when a leaf spring is bend back and forth / compressed and decompressed when dialing fast on the turret back and forth all the time like in the video. I know its not like alot of heat, but i guess there must be produced some when metal ( the spring leaf ) is bend back and forth?

The heat that is being produced when a leaf spring is bend back and forth / compressed and decompressed when dialing fast on the turret back and forth all the time like in the video. I know its not like alot of heat, but i guess there must be produced some when metal ( the spring leaf ) is bend back and forth?

I wouldn't consider myself qualified to answer, but I'd think it has little, if anything to do with heat. It would more so be compression/decompression of the spring. Besides... molecular composition, grain structure, heat treat etc. likely play a big part here. All springs aren't created equal, and metals run from exotic tool/blade steels with tungsten and cobalt to cheap ass pot metal with low carbon content and impurities like silicon and phosphorus. Lots of variables here.

Reactions: 6mmPRC
Please tell me how hot the spring gets.

Please tell me how hot the spring gets.

I have no idea, i just guess that it must produce some amount of heat? If you bend metal, the metal will get warm at the bending point. I just guessed that if a leaf spring in a scope where being compressed / decompressed because of the erector tube travel when dialing as much banck and forth as in the video, it would produce some kind of heat in the erector spring, and that maybe could weaken the spring maybe just by a small amount?

I will take the bait .
Spring steel is heat treated to approximately 1500 degrees Fahrenheit . You wont overheat it twisting turrets.
Cycling a spring shortens its life. How much who knows?
I have springs had break sitting in the safe on relatively new scopes.

Hi,

Why do you keep saying you have no idea yet keep saying what is happening to the damn spring?
Maybe take the hint that some of the other members (Whom by the way work in the machining and metal treatment industries for a LIVING aka they are not guessing) and stop trying to make something out of nothing.
Yay the video impressed you....so be it. Stop trying to force that impressing onto others here.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Hi,

Why do you keep saying you have no idea yet keep saying what is happening to the damn spring?
Maybe take the hint that some of the other members (Whom by the way work in the machining and metal treatment industries for a LIVING aka they are not guessing) and stop trying to make something out of nothing.
Yay the video impressed you....so be it. Stop trying to force that impressing onto others here.

Sincerely,
Theis

I said i have no idea just how hot the spring gets when being bend back and forth, but i do know that metal will get hot when being bend back and forth. Im just saying i dont know the precise amount. Try and bend some metal, you can feel it gets hot where its bend. Im just asking, if the heat produced on the erector spring being compressed / decompressed like in the video, even if its not much heat, will somehow weaken the spring.

I will take the bait .
Spring steel is heat treated to approximately 1500 degrees Fahrenheit . You wont overheat it twisting turrets.
Cycling a spring shortens its life. How much who knows?
I have springs had break sitting in the safe on relatively new scopes.

Thank you for the reply. You have had springs brake on scopes before? How did it happen?

Test it. Get a clicky pen and see what breaks first the spring or your finger.

Well, as i said, i think leaf springs would be more prone to get affected by continued compression / decompression. Also, im not thinking the erector spring will break, im wondering if it could be weakend by the heat produced when metal is bend over and over again.

Anybody with an eyepatch, calling a riflescope a bitch is clearly NOT the guy to take any advice from, or anything else for that matter.

Reactions: Rocky59
Well, as i said, i think leaf springs would be more prone to get affected by continued compression / decompression. Also, im not thinking the erector spring will break, im wondering if it could be weakend by the heat produced when metal is bend over and over again.

This has already been said, but there are huge numbers of cars and trucks on the road that use leaf springs. This includes heavy duty tractor-trailers that see literally millions of miles without failure. Leaf springs are MADE to bend over and over again, it’s EXACTLY what they were designed to do. Can they fail? Sure, just like a coil spring or an airbag can fail. When they do, it’s either due to a worn out/defective part or misuse/abuse. If this was a problem, something else would be used for the application in the first place. It is NOT a problem.

Reactions: lash and Tokay444
6mmPRC seriously thank you!
l needed a good laugh. @Tokay444 :ROFLMAO:

I think I have your solution, but it's going to take some serious effort to get it installed.
IMG_5730.jpg

That is a valve spring. You have a bunch of them in your car. At highway speeds each spring is opening/closing (about 10mm) 20 times per second at 2400 rpm. That's 1200 cycles per minute & 72,000 per hour. Each compression generates heat & there being cooled by oil that's 230 degrees F.
Once you've put 150,000 miles on your car the spring will be a little tired. They will have 166,104,000 cycles on them.

So yeah the premise of the OP question is udderly ridiculous:ROFLMAO:

Lets say you have a scope with 3m elevation adjustment at 100m. This gives you an angle of about 1.7° from top to bottom.
I don't know how long the typical erector system is but lets just say 200mm. In that case the erector would be moved about 6mm in height, from top to bottom. (Edit: That is a very simple calculation leaving out many factors, so nothing more than an a approximation. For a 150mm erector it would be 4,5mm of total travel)

Last edited:
Reactions: plamia2 and 6mmPRC
This has already been said, but there are huge numbers of cars and trucks on the road that use leaf springs. This includes heavy duty tractor-trailers that see literally millions of miles without failure. Leaf springs are MADE to bend over and over again, it’s EXACTLY what they were designed to do. Can they fail? Sure, just like a coil spring or an airbag can fail. When they do, it’s either due to a worn out/defective part or misuse/abuse. If this was a problem, something else would be used for the application in the first place. It is NOT a problem.

But isent it misuse/abuse dialing the turret back and forth fast many times in a row? I dont think the erector spring was made to handle that? It was made to handle being dialed, but not back and forth, back and forth alot of times in a row.

This is not abuse for the erector spring. It just like pressing a few buttons simultaneously on your keyboard a few times in a row.

Here’s the simple way to explain what everyone is telling you:

You can’t have the opinion “I think it will do this” and also have no idea of any of the science behind it.

Well, you can, but that is not the logical or intelligent way to go about it. Your theories are incorrect. Move on.

Reactions: Tokay444
But isent it misuse/abuse dialing the turret back and forth fast many times in a row? I dont think the erector spring was made to handle that? It was made to handle being dialed, but not back and forth, back and forth alot of times in a row.

Where did you get your mechanical engineering degree from?

How many optical companies have you done design work for? How many springs have you ever designed or done fatigue analysis on?

I'm a mechanical engineer and I'm here to tell you that you don't know WTF you're talking about

Mods please lock this stupid thread

Reactions: Tokay444 and kampr
This is not abuse for the erector spring. It just like pressing a few buttons simultaneously on your keyboard a few times in a row.

Well, if you see the video, he dosent just spin the turrets back and forth a "few times in a row", he does it alot.

Where did you get your mechanical engineering degree from?

How many optical companies have you done design work for? How many springs have you ever designed or done fatigue analysis on?

I'm a mechanical engineer and I'm here to tell you that you don't know WTF you're talking about

Mods please lock this stupid thread

I dont have a mechanical engineering degree. Why would you assume that?

Well, if you dont think metal gets hot when bended back and forth, maybe i should ask you, where you got your degree from?

Im not saying the erector spring gets very hot, or just hot, but some amount of heat will be produced and all im asking is if that heat will weaken the spring, maybe just a little.

I dont have a mechanical engineering degree. Why would you assume that?

Well, if you dont think metal gets hot when bended back and forth, maybe i should ask you, where you got your degree from?

Im not saying the erector spring gets very hot, or just hot, but some amount of heat will be produced and all im asking is if that heat will weaken the spring, maybe just a little.

You’ve been informed several times, no, it won’t effect the spring.

Do not continue this.

Best trolling effort I have seen in a long time.

Hahaha, you are the only one with a working brain in here i guess :) I cant believe any of the others idiots just jumped in, and did not see it for what it was - i havent laughed this much in a long time :D