• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Yugo Mauser M48 BO Optic...

JMartens55

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
Hello Snipers Hide, this is my first post and I have a question.

Would it be brutalization to drill and tap an optic onto my Yugo Mauser M48 BO? I was thinking of purchasing either a era-suiting ZRAK or a WW2 Zeiss to keep it in the Mauser spirit.

7607855620_ff87e2d4ca_m.jpg

This is the action of my rifle...void of all markings other than serial numbers.

Re: Yugo Mauser M48 BO Optic...

7607858462_26052c7e9b_m.jpg

Here is the day it came in the mail...My SVT-40 beside it for size comparison.

7607857706_3dd6f71627_m.jpg

Would you like some Bayonet with that Cosmoline?

Sax, welcome.

First I would check and see how the rifle shoots before going through the trouble of scoping it.

If you are satisfied with the accuracy, then if you were to scope it, the best would be to get the correct Zrak mounts and scope. Since you know about the zrak, you also know they are not cheap, so you will have to weigh the return on investment. There is nothing like spending $600 to build a $300 rifle.

If you get the correct mounts and scope, you can then keep or sell it as a repro sniper.

Lastly, I have an M48, it is a very accurate and fun rifle to shoot. It is also a very stout rifle to shoot. With the zrak or other scope options, the scope sits pretty darn high. This gives you a limited cheek weld. Every time you shoot, it will feel like you are getting punched in the jaw. I know, as I installed a JMECK non-smithing mount (designed for the mosin) and my scope sat a little lower than the zrak. The rifle looked fine to me, but was very uncomfortable to shoot. I just put it back to the original config and left it at that.

Roggom thank you for your reply!

I have taken the Mauser out and put about 25 rounds of Prvi Partisan 198g FMJ through her and she has made me quite happy with her results. I have noticed the price of the ZRAK scope and reviewing your experiences I may just keep the iron sights and put the money towards a good long-range build.

either way it is a fun rifle to shoot! I will keep it for Island Blacktail hunting in the fall.

If you can get a hold of some M49 Yugo surplus, mine likes those quite well. Also some of the Yugo comes with the stainless stripper clips. Great round for plinking.

As for a hunting round, I have worked up some 200 gr speer hot-cor bullets over some H4350 (near max load) and shot a tad under 2 moa @ 100y.

I have heard good things about the S&B 196 JS SPCE. It is loaded to European specs, which is very close to the M49 ball ammo ( bit on the hot side). Of course verify and double check that your rifle is safe to shoot this ammo.

Roggom,

Good to know about the Yugo surplus, and I have had my eyes open for some 8mm stripper clips for some time now (they seem to be elusive in my area)

That is pretty impressive for a 60 year old rifle. I have been told some horror stories about working up loads for some of these rifles because the receiver's are re-milled, war-era K-98's and the Metallurgic qualities of the rifle exploded under pressure? But of course this is "rifle sensitive" as I am under the impression you still are the proud owner of a Face. How would one "test" it without damaging it or the shooter?

My friend was making hits on a 900 yards steel E type a few weeks ago with his.
He was using a scout mount/scope and a buttload of Kentucky windage.
I'd say scope it and enjoy.

Sax, the only way to test your rifle would be to be in a controlled lab and keep upping the load until it failed. Yes, that is not going to work.

The BO was made in the late 50's. They were the 4th generation of M48. Some folks say they were parts guns, other say they were scrubbed, and others say they are exactly as intended.

I am sure you had to clean layers upon layers of cosmo from the rifle. You should have seen the proof markings, the three dots for hardness and the assembly marks. Star over "T" and so forth. So the rifle should have been tested and proofed at the time of re-arsenal. Here is a link to some of the markings you may find http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/reply/224619/My-Yugo-Girlfriend-part-2

The last time I checked the privi were loaded to US specs, so if you feel safer, by all means shoot those with confidence. One of the reasons the US has lower specs is folks have a tendency to load hot rounds in a GEW88, or hot 7x57 rounds in a Spanish Mauser and blow themselves up.

To MLC's point, if all you have are milsurps, there is nothing wrong with a scout scope and an S&K type scout mount. Should be good enough for minute of deer. Also you can put the rifle back to its original config.

I am in no way a purist, just that I have spent lots of money on sporters, and I have one nice little scout Mauser in 7x57 and a small graveyard of bubba'd Mauser and Mosins.

BTW here is mine, I got it in full cosmo from big 5, almost all of the blue was removed. One of the guys in another forum said it may have been an inspection or parade rifle of sorts. The bore is sharp and shiny as well.

dsc04320800x533.jpg

dsc04313800x697.jpg

Again Roggom thank you! the pictures are fantastic.

The link you put gave some great insight on the "mystery mauser" and it gets even more mysterious here. not only is there an absence of the "Star over T", there is also no "Hard test" spots. On the right side of the receiver and barrel is stamped "54" which I am guessing is the year of production. On the left side, where the "hard test" dots should be, a number 1 is stamped encased in a square. then on the barrel is a stamped Triangle...

I had heard that a shipment of these was supposed to be sent to Egypt, and then the deal fell through as semi automatics and automatic weapons were becoming the norm. I had a radical thought and maybe that triangle symbolizes the Pyramids? (probably a long shot) anyways thanks again for your plethora of knowledge, I learned quite a bit today. Also please let me know your thoughts on the absence of those test spots and whether or not hotter loads would be a wise idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SaxonJäger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello Snipers Hide, this is my first post and I have a question.

Would it be brutalization to drill and tap an optic onto my Yugo Mauser M48 BO? I was thinking of purchasing either a era-suiting ZRAK or a WW2 Zeiss to keep it in the Mauser spirit.

7607855620_ff87e2d4ca_m.jpg

This is the action of my rifle...void of all markings other than serial numbers.
</div></div>I don't know about the scope, but I envy you with that nice Mauser you have there. The metal looks beautiful.

longguntoter

I got a damn good deal on this rifle online and I was even more happy with my purchase when I scrubbed all the cosmoline off and found its true condition. other than the three bluing scratches on the receiver wall, the rifle is pretty mint. Next time I have my camera I will take some better quality photo's for all to see

I have seen pictures of Mausers employed on the latest Yugo conflicts equipped with the Wetzlar(Germany) post-WWII produced 7x Sornet scope on Zrak mount,therefore I think this can be a "correct" option for a Yugo rifle_ The Sornet reticle is the classic #1 german post,the scope lacks of windage adjustments,obtained moving the rear mount windage screws_I own a Sornet 7x,and I think that,even if not intriguing,nor priced, as a vintage Zeiss or Ajack,can be a choice good if not better as a Zrak scope_ About the reliability:some years ago,an old-timer friend loaded a well-battered German K98 with a case full of NormaR1,a superfast pistol powder,shooting it at some distance,with a string-activated trigger_The poor rifle "welded"himself,bolt included,but DON'T exploded_I really wish you the same quality _