• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zero press ram rubbing?

bunny too

Just a cook
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Wyoming
Howdy folks,
For any of you out there with a zero press have you seen this issue? Looks like the ram is rubbing on the right side of the housing. Emailed Area419 a couple days ago and have not heard back. Not sure if it is an issue or not....
zerofront.jpg
zero close.jpg

Reactions: sleeplz
On mine the ram is very tight on clearance, but it's not rubbing. I did notice some marks in the same location as yours, but it was just grease and wiped right off. If it's actually rubbing that's no bueno.

Reactions: S3th and bunny too
Unacceptable. Mistakes happen.
I’d certainly return it for that kinda $$$ and simply because of principle. It’s supposed to be the most exact press eva.

Unacceptable. Mistakes happen.
I’d certainly return it for that kinda $$$ and simply because of principle. It’s supposed to be the most exact press eva.

Or give Area 419 a chance to fix it or make it right....

No company in the history of manufacturing who's ever sold more than 10 units hasn't had something go wrong.

Or give Area 419 a chance to fix it or make it right....

No company in the history of manufacturing who's ever sold more than 10 units hasn't had something go wrong.
That’s what I’m saying. I’ve not heard anything but good things about that company. But, you can’t keep it in that condition is my point.

Reactions: Gustav7
Thank you! It is a great press, not sure if it is an issue or not.
While it would have likely never been an operational issue, it's still not right.

David knows this already, but for those following along at home, a replacement and return label are already on the way to him. As this is still a fairly new product, virtually every issue (real or perceived) is brought back in so we can inspect, find the issue, and make a correction to our process if need be.

While it would have likely never been an operational issue, it's still not right.

David knows this already, but for those following along at home, a replacement and return label are already on the way to him. As this is still a fairly new product, virtually every issue (real or perceived) is brought back in so we can inspect, find the issue, and make a correction to our process if need be.
That is correct, I was not sure if it was an issue however the excellent people at AREA 419 are rapidly replacing the press regardless of whether it is a concern or not. They are shipping me a new press body and a return label so I can send my first one back to be inspected. Area 419 customer service is outstanding, I truly appreciate their hard work and dedication.

Well Area 429 overnighted me a new body for the press and all is good! As I stated before not sure if this would have been an issue in the long run however Area 419 addressed it regardless and I am super happy. The press is fantastic! A machinist's dream, the tolerances are super tight and the action is super slick. Very happy with my purchase and the company. Can not wait for the shell holders to come out. Thank you to @flyer1a for his help and Area 419's quick resolution.

I need to look at mine and see if it has marks in that spot. I get a squeak when the ram is near the bottom. I can see the nitride rubbing through as well but a little light oil and the squeak goes away. I have to re-oil it every other session or so to keep it from coming back.

Mine rubs in the same spot. I'm ~600rds loaded on it as it's been a slow summer for me. Hasn't worn through the finish yet but leaves lube/carbon there.

edit: I can get a piece of paper through on the left but not the right where these marks are. It's not carbon as mine is clean at the moment.

Last edited:
I have loaded several thousand rounds on mine and it also has the rub. I have decided that the rub is not actually from the ram but from carbon that comes through the ram/primer drop tunnel and gets between the ram and press. This I surmise is the result of the exceptional tolerances and clearance between ram and press body. Honestly, does not bother me, it has zero effect on the ammo it produces.

I have loaded several thousand rounds on mine and it also has the rub. I have decided that the rub is not actually from the ram but from carbon that comes through the ram/primer drop tunnel and gets between the ram and press. This I surmise is the result of the exceptional tolerances and clearance between ram and press body. Honestly, does not bother me, it has zero effect on the ammo it produces.

Same. Quite a few thousand and I don’t see/feel a rub, just see the carbon or what not there. I just wipe it down every so often.

If mine is rubbing I surely can’t tell other than the carbon.

Mine had the rub when I first installed it, but it went away after about 200 rounds and has been smooth ever since.

I have a carbon streak in that spot after sizing a couple hundred rounds. I just wipe it off. With the ram up I can run a piece of paper behind the ram. The ram does come very close on mine, but does not actually rub.

Reactions: ACard
I have a carbon streak in that spot after sizing a couple hundred rounds. I just wipe it off. With the ram up I can run a piece of paper behind the ram. The ram does come very close on mine, but does not actually rub.
Exactly. If that carbon builds up it can rub between press body and ram, and carbon is a bit abrasive...

Something you guys will notice in that spot where crud can deposit - it'll be on the right for right-handed loaders, and on the left for lefties. If something is rubbing, it's not right, but if it's just got crud rubbing off, clean your press.

If we could have every press clear in that spot by .001" we'd love to, but it's simply an impossible task at that point, so we get it as close as we can, in a repeatable manner (which may or may not clear a piece of printer paper, which is 4k thick and right on the edge of our projected clearance window)

here's a link to a video ( though probability not the same one he was looking for but a video is a video.)

• Haha
Reactions: HemiPowrd