• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zipper Pulls

powerspc

It Sounded Like a Good Idea at the Time
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2018
    I'm spending way too much time on this (in fact this probably should have been posted in the dumb section). I'm looking to replace the little paracord zipper pulls on all my drag bags with better zipper pulls. I was all set on the Maxpedition PZL pulls (https://www.maxpedition.com/products/pzl-positive-grip-zipper-pulls-large?variant=12312771493959) using a combination of large and small but wanted them in red which of course they are sold out of both sizes. As an alternative I started looking at the MSR zipper pulls (https://www.msrgear.com/tents/tent-accessories/universal-zipper-pulls/05832.html), I like red, it adds a little color.

I've been at this for days (what is wrong with me); I use my gear hard, which is to say I use it and want something functional. Just wondering if anyone else has been down a similar path and if you replaced your zipper pulls what you went with? Thanks!

These

$2 / 3 pulls. Also other options on the site.

I use the 550 as well, alot on packs, scope bags, drag bags, soft rifle cases yadah yadah. I like to fix the paracord strands so there is not a unsightly bulky knot as well as they always stay even and prevent the knot loop from changing size, particularly on sling set ups where there is little room to actually tie a small knot that will hold. The battery powered cautery can precisely divide the braided fishing line and weld the free ends of the paracord without leaving any flame marks that occur with a flame source. I will now burden the audience at large with how I do mine to keep the pulls nice and tidy appearing.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.15.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.26.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.16.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.16.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.16.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.17.08 PM.png
    IMG_5686.jpg
    IMG_5687.jpg
    IMG_5690.jpg
    IMG_5722.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.16.00 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.16.00 PM.png
      521.1 KB · Views: 41
    Last edited:
    The Paracord option is great for on-body stuff..
    I prefer the Chums pulls for bags -available at REI.
    I have the MSR pulls on tents- as it has the retro-reflective bits in the cord....good for working in the dark with a headlamp...walking back from taking a piss and not being able to find the zipper can get cold....

Last edited:
    Also , as a general rule for me when fabricating the pulls I leave the ends free i.e. don't create a loop that can snag on everything Murphy's Law says it can.

These

$2 / 3 pulls. Also other options on the site.
    Thanks, I needed something, ordered these!

I have had half a dozen of the aftermarket pulls fail me also, just to paracord now. Always. Cut off any pulls they come with and replace, often just because of color! I don't need to be so camouflaged I can't unzip my bag. So, contrasting camo color. I do similar for many bags, replacing clips with color or style alike ones so I don't clip the pack together wrong, can find the proper strap in low-light, etc. Like this:
    48860419623_7f781a0bc6_b.jpg

Um... I don't seem to have a photo of a redone zipper, somehow.

All my bags, etc are covered in enough other snags, I do a loop on the end also, so I can hook it with a finger to open when cold, tired, stuck, etc.

Knots alone are fine. Anything will do, all the way to single floppy loops, but I like tying into the pull. Mine look like the Knots Tied Off photo above.

Speaking of low light (no relation) conditions I used some of this 550 paracord on a small arms soft pack to better identify the zipper pulls when the
    interior lights of the vehicle have been suspended. It actually works pretty well.
    CIMG2930a copy 2.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 6.29.47 PM.png

Reactions: shoobe01
    See... I've ordered that a couple times, only get reflective. Fine for the purpose, but never actualy GITD. And I am crazy for glow stuff. Have loose trit tubes, have the proper frequency UV to charge glow stuff, etc. Nothing.

Does your PP cord /glow/?