• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 win mag muzzel break or no break

Re: 300 win mag muzzel break or no break

Definitely louder to the shooter. Not bad, UNLESS you shoot under a shed roof or something that reflects that sound back to you. That can be deafening.

Concussion hitting me in the face also took a little time to get used too... don't notice it anymore. Some spotters dislike sitting behind me because of it. Some don't notice.

John

Disadvantages of brakes are the uncomfortable frequencies that you hear when fired. They can be damaging to the ears so wear hearing protection.

Some people also experience a change in point of impact.

Depending on the brake, some also kick up dust when shooting prone.

I hope to purchase a Roedale brake for my .308 in the near future. She doesnt need one to be honest, BUT i think having one on would make the rifle very comfortable to shoot.

Im currently shooting the .308 thru a 700P in an AICS, and i must say the stock alone, with its thumbhole setup has allowed for some much more comfortable shooting. Im only 70kgs and fairly skinny, so for me i dont have much weight up top to absorb recoil, so i often find i lose sight picture when zoomed in, or the bipod hops around a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Disadvantages of brakes are the uncomfortable frequencies that you hear when fired. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">They can be damaging to the ears so wear hearing protection.

Some people also experience a change in point of impact.

Depending on the brake, some also kick up dust when shooting prone.</span></span>

</div></div>

The brakes on my guns don't change the POIs. If done correctly, it should not. Now if you play around with the brake and not return it to its original "timing" then yes, the POI will be off. Depending on the design of the brakes, the sound waves are diverted away from the shooter and therefore lessen the recoil so I am not sure why it would be more damaging to the ears. Now, if you shoot it in closed confined space, perhaps that may be true, or if you happen to be the neighbor to a large caliber with a huge brake, then your shooting experience for that session may not be as pleasant. There are things that you can do to minimize the dust when shooting in prone position. A simple painter mat, or a tarp will solve the problem. It certainly beats the need to have your rotator cufff repair from the recoil after prolonged shooting.

Im having a 300WM being built by Warner Tool and im having Badger FTE on the end of it (Bartlien 26" MTU Contour). I heard it works a great deal. I heard the recoil with the FTE on is compared to shooting something like a .243.

fwiw & imho,
Bad move. A properly built .300 WM does not need a brake. I take them off the AI AWs in .300 and .338. My hearing means more...

Regards, Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fwiw & imho,
Bad move. A properly built <span style="color: #FF0000">17 lb.</span> .300 WM does not need a brake. I take them off the AI AWs in .300 and .338. My hearing means more...

Regards, Matt. </div></div>

Fixed it.

You can shoot my son's 7.5 lb. (field ready) 300WM w/o a brake and tell us how you feel about that.
grin.gif

For 2 shots a hunting season, it's fine. For range sessions... it's getting a brake.

John

Might want to try it without a brake for starters. Everyone's recoil tolerance is different. My Kevlar stocked 300 with a 26" barrel does not bother me. My 9 pound 416Rigby hunting rifle is not a problem. On the other hand, first time I shot a 340 Weatherby Magnum, It kicked the shit out of me.

I am more sensitive to recoil velocity than total recoil. I discovered my ultimate recoil tolerance when I shot a buddy's 577 Nitro Express Double rifle on a 100 degree day with full house loads. Definite brain rattle there.

Most of my hunting rifles are without brakes. That includes a Dakota in 338 Lapua. In the field, I get "in the zone" and never notice the sound or the recoil. And let's face it. You get one, maybe two shots at a time.

For range time and load development, I use a PAST shoulder recoil pad that straps onto your shoulder. That is a MUST for the 9.5 pound 338 Lapua. On lookers who dareto mock the "sissy pad" are invited to take a shot without the pad. And that ends the commentary from the peanut gallery.

Target is a different issue. As are the 50's. A range rifle means many shots, and many shots wear on you and can develop a flinch that takes a long time to loose. The 50's - I maybe old and crazy, but I ain't stupid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fwiw & imho,
Bad move. A properly built <span style="color: #FF0000">17 lb.</span> .300 WM does not need a brake. I take them off the AI AWs in .300 and .338. My hearing means more...

Fixed it.

You can shoot my son's 7.5 lb. (field ready) 300WM w/o a brake and tell us how you feel about that.
grin.gif

For 2 shots a hunting season, it's fine. For range sessions... it's getting a brake.

John </div></div>

fwiw & imo,
I've got enough A191 in my data book that I stand by the above statement. If it is too much rifle for you then put a pussy horn on it and shoot by yourself. I have enough tinnitus from the blessed things from Mk 15s that I really want no more... My take is short of the Mk 15 a brake is for those who should shoot something they can control. No slam just fact.

There are a myriad of chamberings that offer superb flight paths without the recoil. They just don't arrive with the authority. Nor do they arrive in neat sealed white boxes. Shoot to your capabilities and don't make assumptions about others...fwiw & imho

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fwiw & imho,

Fixed it.

grin.gif

John </div></div>

fwiw & imo,
I've got enough A191 in my data book that I stand by the above statement. If it is too much rifle for you then put a pussy horn on it and shoot by yourself. I have enough tinnitus from the blessed things from Mk 15s that I really want no more... My take is short of the Mk 15 a brake is for those who should shoot something they can control. No slam just fact.

There are a myriad of chamberings that offer superb flight paths without the recoil. They just don't arrive with the authority. Nor do they arrive in neat sealed white boxes. Shoot to your capabilities and don't make assumptions about others...fwiw & imho

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270 </div></div>

If anyone was making assumptions, I believe that would be you. Presuming for everyone else that a brake is not necessary really is not your place. It's a personal choice. Why try to make others feel like 90 lb. men because they're not as awesome as you?

All I was trying to point out is that you are removing brakes from fairly heavy rifles. Not everybody here shoots a 16-17 lb. rifle. That makes a HUGE difference. Lighter rifles in the same caliber are going to have a LOT more recoil and muzzle jump.

My rifle doesn't bother me for a few rounds unbraked, and I can control it just fine. It's not a matter of capability, it's about comfort. If I'm going to put 60-80 rds downrange in one session, I prefer a brake.

That 7.5 lb. rifle I spoke of... I shot 60 rds. through it in one day doing load development (yeah, I know... too many bullets and powders
smile.gif
). It would have been a LOT more pleasant with a brake.

It's your choice to not shoot with people who choose to use a brake. If you think they're sissies because of their choice, keep it to yourself.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fwiw & imho,

Fixed it.

grin.gif

John </div></div>

fwiw & imo,

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270 </div></div>

If anyone was making assumptions, I believe that would be you. Presuming for everyone else that a brake is not necessary really is not your place. It's a personal choice. Why try to make others feel like 90 lb. men because they're not as awesome as you?

All I was trying to point out is that you are removing brakes from fairly heavy rifles. Not everybody here shoots a 16-17 lb. rifle. That makes a HUGE difference. Lighter rifles in the same caliber are going to have a LOT more recoil and muzzle jump.

My rifle doesn't bother me for a few rounds unbraked, and I can control it just fine. It's not a matter of capability, it's about comfort. If I'm going to put 60-80 rds downrange in one session, I prefer a brake.

That 7.5 lb. rifle I spoke of... I shot 60 rds. through it in one day doing load development (yeah, I know... too many bullets and powders
smile.gif
). It would have been a LOT more pleasant with a brake.

It's your choice to not shoot with people who choose to use a brake. If you think they're sissies because of their choice, keep it to yourself.

John </div></div>

Keep it to myself? Brakes only for sissies? You make many assumptions and most I've read are inaccurate. That said carry on... You have a tremendous opinion of your input...

Your attitude and response are a reminder why I post here so rarely anymore.

Congratulations on your eighth month onboard...

Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You make many assumptions and most I've read are inaccurate. That said carry on... </div></div>

Your response tells me that I may have misunderstood you at some point. Quite possible. Happens all the time in written communication. Sorry if I have...

You've made your share of assumptions too:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have a tremendous opinion of your input...

Your attitude and response are a reminder why I post here so rarely anymore.</div></div>

Actually, I'm a fairly tolerant person who tries to only give input into subjects where I can be of some value. When I'm wrong, I admit it and move on. No harm in making a mistake.

I'm old enough to know that there really are very few absolutes and I try to leave room for others to have their very real experiences that differ from mine.

I think I was quite clear about the reasons I thought your blanket statement was inappropriate, but you'd rather denigrate my character than respond to the facts.

Your attitude and response remind me of why I waited so long to start posting here. Thanks for making a guy feel so welcome.

I'll carry on now. Thanks for the permission.

John

I have a break on my .300 RUM and it is great. The rifle weighs 13 lbs and it kicks like a .308, the blast is pretty violent but it is a fair trade to me. The main advantage is the rifle kicks straight back and does not jump at all. My buddy has a .300 Weatherby that weighs around 8 lbs and is not fun to shoot. I also like the break on my .338LM, .50BMG and .308 pistol.

Just ordered two of th Roedale Breaks.

I've got a Near Brake on my TRG-42... and it's the best thing I've ever used.

All opinions are welcome. What do you guys prefer?
Thanks
Darrin
I don't like muzzle bakes. I like my hearing. . I don't even like being at the range near someone that has one.. . There other ways to reduce felt recoil. . What is do is bring two similar rifles. One in my 300 mag the other in 22-250 I shoot the 300 mag for 20 rounds then I shoot my 22-250. Your body remembers the lessor recoil. And you become accustomed to the recoil. .
You can add a suppressor. It helps reduce recoil. Add weight. Mercury tube is fantastic . Get a pad the straps onto your shoulder. .

• Haha
Reactions: Aftermath
I don't like muzzle bakes. I like my hearing. . I don't even like being at the range near someone that has one.. . There other ways to reduce felt recoil. . What is do is bring two similar rifles. One in my 300 mag the other in 22-250 I shoot the 300 mag for 20 rounds then I shoot my 22-250. Your body remembers the lessor recoil. And you become accustomed to the recoil. .
You can add a suppressor. It helps reduce recoil. Add weight. Mercury tube is fantastic . Get a pad the straps onto your shoulder. .
Other than just reducing felt recoil, what is your understanding of what benefits a brake is intended to accomplish?

Arise dead thread.png

Reactions: mojavejim
Ya…..the guy joined yesterday and one of his two posts resurrected a thread from 2010………what’s going on here??