• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

5R Mil Spec Barrels

jdrogue

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2009
Texas
Hello,

What is the 5R Barrel and how is it better than the standard barrel? And does it wear faster than the standard type barrel? Also, can you go with 22 inch 5R barrel and have same trajectory 24 or 26 inch barrel?

Re: 5R Mil Spec Barrels

The 5r barrel has 5 riflings.
It generally cleans easier than a standard barrel and it may shoot better.No it does not wear faster. As for the length question, do a little research.

Now I'm no expert by all means, there are numerous treads explaining in fine detail the Mike Rock 5R barrel, If you didn't know its the same riffling used in the Army current M24. The 5 stands for 5 lands and grooves, which apparently when the proper ammo is used creates one hell of an accurate combination. I believe that the Army's min acceptable requirement is 1 MOA at 1000. As far as the length of the barrel, most 7.62 loads only need 22" to reach max velocity anything more decreases accuracy to barrel flex. the shorter the barrel the more rigid the barrel becomes in turn the more accurate the shot, however the shorter the barrel the less velocity the rounds has therefore decreasing the max effective range. I hope this helps, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to be the one how gives bad info.

Does the difference in length of the barrel, say to 26" really induce a deflection that is noticeable in accuracy?

I've got to imagine that's going to largely depend on the contour. You gonna see a lot mor difference in a sporter contour than a heavy contour.