• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing New barrel with super tight chamber?

Myanmar Shave

Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
Houston TX
I bought a brand new finished barrel for my AI AE MK3 .308 rifle from a popular dealer. I might reveal the dealer and the brand of barrel later on. An action-proving dummy or a resized brass will not just drop in the chamber, I have to push it in to get it fully chambered. To get it out, I have to lightly pry on the case rim with a screwdriver, the dummy more so than the brass. In comparison, I tried the same thing with another new AI brand barrel, and the dummy just drops in and out without any pushing or prying.

So I called the dealer and ended up returning the barrel for them to look at. It was returned back to me with paperwork indicating "polish chamber, eccentric throat, headspace 1.631". So I retested the barrel using the above method, and got the same results. I checked with a local 'smith, and his opinion is that a round should not require a tool to remove from a chamber, and he speculated that the reamer used might have been worn, resharpened, or otherwise unsuitable for use. I looked at the barrel with my borescope, and couldn't see anything unusual. I have some Cerrosafe, and could make a casting of the chamber, but I think that it will just show that it is undersized. I could have my 'smith put his reamer in it, but I'm concerned about voiding the warranty or otherwise fouling something up.

Before I call the dealer back and escalate this, I am looking for opinions as to course of action, and also opinions as to whether or not I am being too picky.

Thanks in advance, hiders.

I grabbed my factory AX 308 barrel off the shelf and dropped a factory round in it last night. It took more than my fingernail to get it out.

Sounds a little tight but I'd probably shoot and go from there.