• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes S&B reticle shift

OneMoreNoMore

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
Looking for some direction on this one.
Bought this S&B new a year or so ago and never noticed till now the reticle shifts when adjusting the mag ring.
If it doesn’t get worse it probably doesn’t amount to much at the distance I shoot, however if it’s going to get worse I’d like to get it taken care of before it fails in the field.
Anyone experience the same thing?
A friend of mine bought the same model at the same time I did and he said his does the same.

When you say the reticle shifts what do you mean? Changes in size or moves left to right,etc?

what model S&B is it?

When you say the reticle shifts what do you mean? Changes in size or moves left to right,etc?

what model S&B is it?

The reticle rotates in the direction the mag ring is turned until the backlash is gone and then stops until turned the opposite direction. The short video above shows the movement. Model is a

Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25x56 L/P DT P4 Fine FFP MRAD CCW​

Reactions: HUNTERVASSER
@OneMoreNoMore my bad the video wasn’t working on the phone for me, now it’s good. All you’re doing is changing magnification and the reticle is having that effect?

If so, I would send it in.

@OneMoreNoMore my bad the video wasn’t working on the phone for me, now it’s good. All you’re doing is changing magnification and the reticle is having that effect?

If so, I would send it in.

No worries. Haven’t used photo bucket since they started charging.
I admit that it doesn’t amount to much in the usable range for me. I’m never going to hold 10mils of wind, the targets in the background are 980 to the left and the 2 on the right are about 1300.
Just wondering if others have had a similar issue and it got worse.

Yeah that doesn't look right. I wouldn't wait for it to get worse or bother you, you pay too much and should expect 100% from schmidt. I'd send it back!

The reticle sits in the front of the erector tube. This is the tube that houses the lens group responsible for changing the magnification. I expect that your whole erector tube is rotating when you turn the power ring and that this indicates a fault in the joint at the back of the erector tube. If that joint isn't working right it could cause more problems then just that reticle rotation. Like the scope not tracking properly or shifting zero. Send it back. Really, no amount of defect is acceptable in a scope of that price but the problem you isn't something like dust on the reticle, it is a major functional defect.

You should also check first to make sure your scope is not slipping in the rings or the base loose on the rifle. These things can happen.

Everytime this subject comes up, and people who know what they’re talking about chime in, it is explained as “ normal “ and “ these clearances are necessary so the mechanism doesn’t bind “ blah, blah, blah.

That isn't normal and BigJimFish is correct in what the issue is. It will only get worse so getting it fixed now is the best course of action.

Thanks for the responses!! I’ll send it back after the new year and give an update.

Jerry explains the shift pretty well in this old thread. I think I have what he’s describing, but it’s hard to tell from your video if the rifle is clamped down secure enough to tell if the image is moving along with the reticle or not.

Here is another clip of the original.
If you focus on the target on the left you can see the reticle move on the target and not all together.