• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes “Do All” Riflescope (Hunting/Tactical/PRS)

Ironman8

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2014
Long time lurker here, and reading a ton lately, finally getting around to posting.

I’ve been in the AR world for the last 10 years, but want to build a capable “do all” bolt gun rig. And yes I’ve ready plenty about the compromises of going this route, and I’m ok with that.

Build will be a 6.5 CM and use will be as a hunting rig for shots on big game (elk) up to 400-500 yds and shooting steel at 1k+. Never done a PRS match but it sounds like a blast and will probably get into some of that as well.

I figured with that use in mind, the sweet spot for mag range would be in the 3-15x area. Weight plays a big role in my decision, but I would like to keep the scope ~30oz or less...without sacrificing durability. I’m not a glass snob, at all, but that’s not to say it isn’t important. Budget would be somewhere around $1000, new or used.

The 3 scopes that I’m considering that are in somewhat similar price points are:
Bushnell LRHSi/LRTSi 4.5-18x
Vortex PST G2 3-15x
SWFA 3-15x

Are there any others I should be looking at?

Also, some questions regarding the 3 listed above:

Bushnell:
- is the LRHSi version with the G2H reticle usable on the low end with the 2 mil donut? (Seems like it would be ideal for hunting situations at close range, but how is it in the real world?)
- how well does their Christmas’s tree style reticle work for wind holds? And what are the subtensions based on? (Mils?)
- Am I crazy not to have already put the money down for the GAP deal?

Vortex:
- How has durability been with these?
- How useable is the reticle on low magnification? (I do prefer the way the EBR-C Christmas tree looks vs the Bushnell G2H)

SWFA:
- Not illuminated, not sure if it’s needed with the thick stadia bars...thoughts?
- Glass quality compared to the other two?
- It’s lighter and I know I can find this cheaper than the other two, so that’s mostly why it’s in the running.

Thanks for any suggestions guys!

I would definitely add the Burris XTR II to your list of considerations. It's a very solid performer at that price point with a great feature set. I think the 3-15 comes in right at 31ozs.

I've hunted extensively with the 4-20 and 5-25, they've always performed flawlessly.

I also shoot PRS with the 4-20 on a 6mm Creedmoor, and have fired my 300 Norma mag out to 2000 yards using my 5-25 (this is also my elk hunting rifle).

So it's a very versatile scope.

Bushnell DMR II or the DMR II Pro when it comes out will be absolutely worth it.

OP, welcome to the forums and get ready for a plethora of answers to your question. I would consider 3-15 the bare minimum for what you're wanting to do, I used to have some 3-15's and I always found I was wanting a little more on the top end. Therefore, I would steer you towards the crazy good deal that GA Precision has on the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44, that is a great scope with great glass and yes, the windage hash marks are in mils. Like Birddog I would also recommend the Burris XTR II 4-20x50, this is a great scope for the price and offers a little more magnification at the top end. The Vortex PST II 5-25x50 is another great scope that gets you out to 25x when needed. I'd say choose the reticle you like most with any of those scopes, as far as durability Birddog probably has the most experience with the Burris scopes, the PST II's are still pretty new and some have complained about the durability of the LRHS. I've owned all three of those scopes and would say the Burris XTR II probably felt the toughest but mine had some optical issues they have apparently resolved in later releases.

Because I hunted I used to have the mindset that I had to have pretty low magnification at the bottom end, but I am no longer of that mindset, my minimum now is whether or not I can fit the entire body of my game of choice inside the FOV at 50 yards. The LRHS can get 23.5' at 100y, the PST II 5-25 can get 24.1' at 100y and the Burris 4-20 can get 25.8' at 100y, divide those all in half for 50 yards and you have more than enough for even a big elk to fit in there. Something else to be aware of, magnification isn't always an indicator of FOV, in this case the 5x Vortex has more FOV than the 4.5x Bushnell.

Reactions: Bart
Look at the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50. It’s only 27.3 oz and well in your budget

Burris xtr ii 4-20x50 . I like the G2B reticle for a do all rifle . SCR reticle is a little thin for me but a great reticle nonetheless.

Your not going to be happy with a 15x scope if your going to shoot any PRS or any distance especially in your price range...I’d suggest(as a few others have)the gen2 PST...fantastic reticle..good glass and plenty of power.

Your not going to be happy with a 15x scope if your going to shoot any PRS or any distance
I'm going to disagree with this. I use a 6-24 that only goes up to 18x during load development, while shooting positionally or off barricades it rarely gets turned higher than 15-16x, 10-12x is probably the average when shooting in awkward positions inside 700 yards.

Reactions: V-Ref and Ericsl2
The suggestions of the Vortex PST Gen II 3-15 or Burris XTR II 3-15 or 4-20 fits your bill pretty well at that price point, we'd be happy to discuss the Pros and Cons to help you pick the right option.

I'm going to disagree with this. I use a 6-24 that only goes up to 18x during load development, while shooting positionally or off barricades it rarely gets turned higher than 15-16x, 10-12x is probably the average when shooting in awkward positions inside 700 yards.

But when you need the power it’s there...better to have it then to need it and not.

My scopes run 16-18 all the time on barricades and or awkward positions rarely do I run them below 15.

The other problem with a 15x scope in his price range is the glass is not the best and we all know what happens when you run a scope at full power...the eye box gets tight and glass gets funny especially if there’s mirage.

But also keep in mind I’m blind in one eye and can barely see outta my scope eye

I’m in the Burris camp.
I have a 4-20 XTR 2 on a Lapua. It does really well.
If I was going to hunt with a 6.5 plus shoot steel and PRS, I would probably get a SHV F1 4-14 FFP.
All depends on the primary mission,
Hunting, SHV
PRS, Burris.

If I'm not mistaken, @koshkin says the 3-15x44 PST2 is the jewel of the PST2 lineup. Take that for what it's worth.

Having never actually used a PST2 (though I did own a 5-25x briefly), I can't really comment on them. I've looked through a few and they seemed great for the price, but window shopping is anything but a good way to review an optic!

From what you list, all three should work just fine, but the Bushnell ticks the most boxes for me. Relatively light for the features it packs, it has an established history of tracking well, the reticle is great, and the GAP price is impossible to beat if you can wait (looks like some folks are already trying to make a buck on the ones purchased from the first batch...).

I'm in the market for a similar rifle. If money were no factor, a Vortex 6-24x AMG would be on everything I own, but that's not the case. I do plan to wind up that way eventually, but for now I'm about ready to put money down on a GAP LRHSi and call it a day. 4.5x on the low end is low enough for most anything aside from a brush busting rifle, and 18x will get you to 1,000m+ without breaking a sweat. Some say the reticle is a touch thick, and for F-class or benchrest, I'd agree. But for a field/hunting/steel rifle, I think it's fine. I'd like it a little thinner, but it's absolutely usable.

The SWFA also has an established history of reliabile tracking, but it lacks a host of features the LRHS possesses, and at the GAP pricing, I can't see buying one unless it's used (around $500 tops), and even then I'd only be buying for a .22 that could regularly utilize the close parallax abilities.

TL;DR - LRHS all the way, with the PST2 taking a close second.

LRHS is really hard to beat in that price range. I had one and really liked it. Later got an LRTS for a little more magnification. Only thing I missed on that scope is illumination. For hunting it’s really nice to have but not a deal breaker.

If I'm not mistaken, @koshkin says the 3-15x44 PST2 is the jewel of the PST2 lineup. Take that for what it's worth.

Vortex themselves agree with this assertion:

asoidfnasoif.jpg

Leupy mark 5 3-18 is light with amazing glass.

If on a budget, the SWFA 3-15 is very very capable. If a bit dated. But as tough as they come.

Reactions: Basher
OP, welcome to the forums and get ready for a plethora of answers to your question. I would consider 3-15 the bare minimum for what you're wanting to do, I used to have some 3-15's and I always found I was wanting a little more on the top end. Therefore, I would steer you towards the crazy good deal that GA Precision has on the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44, that is a great scope with great glass and yes, the windage hash marks are in mils. Like Birddog I would also recommend the Burris XTR II 4-20x50, this is a great scope for the price and offers a little more magnification at the top end. The Vortex PST II 5-25x50 is another great scope that gets you out to 25x when needed. I'd say choose the reticle you like most with any of those scopes, as far as durability Birddog probably has the most experience with the Burris scopes, the PST II's are still pretty new and some have complained about the durability of the LRHS. I've owned all three of those scopes and would say the Burris XTR II probably felt the toughest but mine had some optical issues they have apparently resolved in later releases.

Because I hunted I used to have the mindset that I had to have pretty low magnification at the bottom end, but I am no longer of that mindset, my minimum now is whether or not I can fit the entire body of my game of choice inside the FOV at 50 yards. The LRHS can get 23.5' at 100y, the PST II 5-25 can get 24.1' at 100y and the Burris 4-20 can get 25.8' at 100y, divide those all in half for 50 yards and you have more than enough for even a big elk to fit in there. Something else to be aware of, magnification isn't always an indicator of FOV, in this case the 5x Vortex has more FOV than the 4.5x Bushnell.

When they get inside 50 yards Bill, you just whack em' with a big stick ;)

Vortex themselves agree with this assertion:

View attachment 6910558

Seeing this makes me wonder how the Athlon Ares 2.5-15x and 4.5-27x compare optically. They're identical in external dimensions and weight, so they're probably similar internally. If Vortex has different performance with physically different scopes presumably optimized for the performance they goals they set, I wonder how to Athlon's physically identical scopes perform in different magnification ranges.

For around $1k, I thin PST Gen 2 3-15x44 is my favourite.

If you can stretch your budget a bit and can live with reticle options, Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is also really nice.

If you like MOA reticle and can live without exposed turrets, I am pretty impressed with Maven RS1 2.5-15x44. If they ever make a mrad version of it, I'll own one.

In general, I really like 3-18x and 3-15x scope for applications like this and use Tangent Theta TT315M as my general purpose scope.

ILya

I figured with that use in mind, the sweet spot for mag range would be in the 3-15x area. Weight plays a big role in my decision, but I would like to keep the scope ~30oz or less...without sacrificing durability. I’m not a glass snob, at all, but that’s not to say it isn’t important. Budget would be somewhere around $1000, new or used.

The 3 scopes that I’m considering that are in somewhat similar price points are:
Bushnell LRHSi/LRTSi 4.5-18x
Vortex PST G2 3-15x
SWFA 3-15x

Are there any others I should be looking at?

Also, some questions regarding the 3 listed above:

Bushnell:
- is the LRHSi version with the G2H reticle usable on the low end with the 2 mil donut? (Seems like it would be ideal for hunting situations at close range, but how is it in the real world?)
- how well does their Christmas’s tree style reticle work for wind holds? And what are the subtensions based on? (Mils?)
- Am I crazy not to have already put the money down for the GAP deal?

Yes, you are crazy not to have put down a deposit on one of the Bushnells yet! :)

I snagged one in the first wave and the scope is awesome! I have a second one coming in the next wave.

I've been running exclusively Vortex in MOA since 2010 and have about a dozen scopes. Most are the Viper 6.5-20x44 model, two Gen 1 PST FFP 6-24x, one Gen 1 PST SFP 6-24x, and two LRHS FFP6-24x w/XLRS . I've been extremely pleased with all of them. I find the glass quality pretty good and certainly usable out to 1k.

I was apprehensive about going to MIL's but the G2 reticule works very well and I now wonder why it took me so long to go MIL. Yes, it's that easy!

Glass wise I feel the Bushnell is better clarity than any of my Vortex scopes. I also like the turrets and zero stop better than the Vortex. My only slight gripe is that the G2 reticule does not have an open center w/micro dot like the XLRS reticule. I really miss that, but it does have the 2 MOA donut you can use on low power.

Buy the Bushnell for the $800 and if you don't like it resell it and try something else. However you may really like it and kick yourself for not ordering two at that low price. ;)

I’m leaning toward the shv f1 for my weight not a concern hunting rifle / bring to the range every once in awhile gun

SS 5-20x50 HD, 30.4 oz, and you can find used ones for ~$850 or ~$1,000 for the illuminated model. Killer variable scope in that price bracket. Not the “hottest/sexiest” reticle, but gets the job done with stellar tracking and overall durability.

Reactions: patriot07
I don't have a lot of experience with other scopes, but I used to have my first Burris XTR2 G2B 3-15 on my target rifle and I really liked it for the range when it was the best scope I had. Since then I got another identical one for my 300 WSM hunting rifle, and it really is a great scope for hunting. I have since put a XTR2 4-20 SCR on my target rifle and it is better for target shooting without a doubt... but for double duty, I really like the G2B for hunting and well enough for target shooting that it is my preferred for double duty.
So now I have two 3-15 XTR2's on hunting rifles and couldn't be happier. One I picked up in Montana for $640 and the other I picked up in Minnesota for $780 and both were worth every penny, and IMO pretty hard to beat for that kind of price.

Last edited:
The SS 5-20 is a great scope but I'd trust the bushnell DMRII more than any other sub 2K scope less a razor GenII. I would be so nervous taking a viper PST or Athlon Ares on a once in a lifetime hunt.

A DMRII or LRTS...those things are tough. Plus they have an incredible reputation for impeccable tracking. (As per the tracking tests on the scout website)

I literally feel like I can treat my bushnells like my NF's. On paper the perfect scope for this application (without a doubt) would be a vortex AMG. Which I have shot with. For some reason (ridiculous or not) I just didn't have an utmost faith in it's reliability although it never served me wrong. (Hey bushnell put your spin on the EBR-7B illum in your 4.5-30 for $1900 and I'll never buy another optic)

Sorry for going dark the last few days. Traveling, work, and now a fridge that decided to die on me. But thanks for all the great replies here guys...lots to consider! I’ll try to reply to a few of these in here...

Thanks for the info wjm308. What you said about the FOV makes a lot of sense. I guess the only question beyond that would be how usable the reticle is at the lowest mag settings?

The more I’ve looked at the G2H reticle on the Bushnell, the more I like it for my application. Second in line would either be the PST or the SWFA.

Your not going to be happy with a 15x scope if your going to shoot any PRS or any distance especially in your price range...I’d suggest(as a few others have)the gen2 PST...fantastic reticle..good glass and plenty of power.

I still have pretty good eyesight, so I didn’t figure I needed much more than 15x to get out to the ranges I want to. Aside from that, stepping up to bigger glass usually means heavier weight, so that’s another reason I was staying in that range.

Having never actually used a PST2 (though I did own a 5-25x briefly), I can't really comment on them. I've looked through a few and they seemed great for the price, but window shopping is anything but a good way to review an optic!

From what you list, all three should work just fine, but the Bushnell ticks the most boxes for me. Relatively light for the features it packs, it has an established history of tracking well, the reticle is great, and the GAP price is impossible to beat if you can wait (looks like some folks are already trying to make a buck on the ones purchased from the first batch...).

I'm in the market for a similar rifle. If money were no factor, a Vortex 6-24x AMG would be on everything I own, but that's not the case. I do plan to wind up that way eventually, but for now I'm about ready to put money down on a GAP LRHSi and call it a day. 4.5x on the low end is low enough for most anything aside from a brush busting rifle, and 18x will get you to 1,000m+ without breaking a sweat. Some say the reticle is a touch thick, and for F-class or benchrest, I'd agree. But for a field/hunting/steel rifle, I think it's fine. I'd like it a little thinner, but it's absolutely usable.

The SWFA also has an established history of reliabile tracking, but it lacks a host of features the LRHS possesses, and at the GAP pricing, I can't see buying one unless it's used (around $500 tops), and even then I'd only be buying for a .22 that could regularly utilize the close parallax abilities.

TL;DR - LRHS all the way, with the PST2 taking a close second.

This is pretty much how I’m leaning at this point. If you have had experience with the LRHSi and the PSTII 3-15x, can you comment on the usability of the reticle on the lowest setting?

I would definitely add the Burris XTR II to your list of considerations. It's a very solid performer at that price point with a great feature set. I think the 3-15 comes in right at 31ozs.

I've hunted extensively with the 4-20 and 5-25, they've always performed flawlessly.

I also shoot PRS with the 4-20 on a 6mm Creedmoor, and have fired my 300 Norma mag out to 2000 yards using my 5-25 (this is also my elk hunting rifle).

So it's a very versatile scope.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I do agree the XTRII is a good quality scope...just not really digging the reticles compared to the others. Not to mention, it looks like I can get about the same performance in a slightly lighter package.

LRHS is really hard to beat in that price range. I had one and really liked it. Later got an LRTS for a little more magnification. Only thing I missed on that scope is illumination. For hunting it’s really nice to have but not a deal breaker.

Can you comment on how usable the reticle is on 4.5x for the LRHS? I imagine you can at least pick up the “circle of death”?

For around $1k, I thin PST Gen 2 3-15x44 is my favourite.

If you can stretch your budget a bit and can live with reticle options, Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is also really nice.

If you like MOA reticle and can live without exposed turrets, I am pretty impressed with Maven RS1 2.5-15x44. If they ever make a mrad version of it, I'll own one.

In general, I really like 3-18x and 3-15x scope for applications like this and use Tangent Theta TT315M as my general purpose scope.

ILya

Wish I could afford that Leupold...much less the Tangent Theta lol. Thanks for weighing in.

Can you comment on the PSTII 3-15x reticle usability on the 3x mag setting?

Also, I’m standardized on all mil reticles, so MOA is out.

Yes, you are crazy not to have put down a deposit on one of the Bushnells yet! :)

I snagged one in the first wave and the scope is awesome! I have a second one coming in the next wave.

I've been running exclusively Vortex in MOA since 2010 and have about a dozen scopes. Most are the Viper 6.5-20x44 model, two Gen 1 PST FFP 6-24x, one Gen 1 PST SFP 6-24x, and two LRHS FFP6-24x w/XLRS . I've been extremely pleased with all of them. I find the glass quality pretty good and certainly usable out to 1k.

I was apprehensive about going to MIL's but the G2 reticule works very well and I now wonder why it took me so long to go MIL. Yes, it's that easy!

Glass wise I feel the Bushnell is better clarity than any of my Vortex scopes. I also like the turrets and zero stop better than the Vortex. My only slight gripe is that the G2 reticule does not have an open center w/micro dot like the XLRS reticule. I really miss that, but it does have the 2 MOA donut you can use on low power.

Buy the Bushnell for the $800 and if you don't like it resell it and try something else. However you may really like it and kick yourself for not ordering two at that low price. ;)

I’m leaning this way more and more. Can you comment on the 4.5x mag reticle usability as well?

The SS 5-20 is a great scope but I'd trust the bushnell DMRII more than any other sub 2K scope less a razor GenII. I would be so nervous taking a viper PST or Athlon Ares on a once in a lifetime hunt.

A DMRII or LRTS...those things are tough. Plus they have an incredible reputation for impeccable tracking. (As per the tracking tests on the scout website)

I literally feel like I can treat my bushnells like my NF's. On paper the perfect scope for this application (without a doubt) would be a vortex AMG. Which I have shot with. For some reason (ridiculous or not) I just didn't have an utmost faith in it's reliability although it never served me wrong. (Hey bushnell put your spin on the EBR-7B illum in your 4.5-30 for $1900 and I'll never buy another optic)

Thanks. Good to hear the Bushnells hold up well. I’m leaning toward the LRHSi from GAP right now.

SS 5-20x50 HD, 30.4 oz, and you can find used ones for ~$850 or ~$1,000 for the illuminated model. Killer variable scope in that price bracket. Not the “hottest/sexiest” reticle, but gets the job done with stellar tracking and overall durability.

I would probably be happy with the SWFA as well. But with the GAP deal out there, I may go that route first. I actually like the mil-quad reticle.

The G2H is usable at 4.5x, but your main point of reference at that point would be the circle of death and the solid outer bars. The stadia portion of the crosshairs is visible, but unless lighting is excellent and you have perfect vision, using any of the stadia for holdovers is going to be challenging at best.

Summed up most easily, for hunting use it would be just fine at 4.5x, near perfect for short range snapshot use with the circle of death or a basic dead hold out to your cartridges MPBR (most hunting situations). For precision use, you'll want to dial up, but the 18x will easily get you to a grand.

The G2H is usable at 4.5x, but your main point of reference at that point would be the circle of death and the solid outer bars. The stadia portion of the crosshairs is visible, but unless lighting is excellent and you have perfect vision, using any of the stadia for holdovers is going to be challenging at best.

Summed up most easily, for hunting use it would be just fine at 4.5x, near perfect for short range snapshot use with the circle of death or a basic dead hold out to your cartridges MPBR (most hunting situations). For precision use, you'll want to dial up, but the 18x will easily get you to a grand.

Thank you, that’s pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I’m used to shooting with an Aimpoint and other RDS’s on AR’s so having the “circle of death” would be somewhat similar in use when dialed all the way down if a snapshot needs to be made on game.

Last edited:
I have an xtr2 3-15x scr-mil and use it for hunting/critter control as well as long distance ... for about the last 8 months it has been on 5.56(18) ...

apZ4D7dh.jpg

3yN7glkh.jpg

But my favorite dual purpose scope right now is the L&S Mk6 3-18x Tremor-3 ... at 23.6 oz ... still not sure there is a lighter one in this class ... and at 11.9 inches not sure there is a shorter one ... and with the wind dots ... you just estimate the wind in MPH and shoot. A game changer for me.

dGYQ1YHh.jpg

On 6.5G(18)

Nailed this yote one night at at 141m off tripod while I was practicing scanning and ranging with the raptar. At 3x you have a good field of view. I would not want more magnification on the low power end, for hunting at night. I can crank up a bit for PID or shot placement if there is time. But for general 360 scanning, I like 3x at night.

uCFUBIEh.jpg

ILIVe0ah.jpg

Can you comment on how usable the reticle is on 4.5x for the LRHS? I imagine you can at least pick up the “circle of death”?

You can pick up the circle really quickly on 4.5 in case you need to make a quick shot. I had no complaints other than the fact I wanted more magnification because that’s a personal preference when shooting long distance.

Reactions: bunsen27
I have an xtr2 3-15x scr-mil and use it for hunting/critter control as well as long distance ... for about the last 8 months it has been on 5.56(18) ...

apZ4D7dh.jpg

3yN7glkh.jpg

But my favorite dual purpose scope right now is the L&S Mk6 3-18x Tremor-3 ... at 23.6 oz ... still not sure there is a lighter one in this class ... and at 11.9 inches not sure there is a shorter one ... and with the wind dots ... you just estimate the wind in MPH and shoot. A game changer for me.

dGYQ1YHh.jpg

On 6.5G(18)

Nailed this yote one night at at 141m off tripod while I was practicing scanning and ranging with the raptar. At 3x you have a good field of view. I would not want more magnification on the low power end, for hunting at night. I can crank up a bit for PID or shot placement if there is time. But for general 360 scanning, I like 3x at night.

uCFUBIEh.jpg

ILIVe0ah.jpg

Wig, that has to be one of the ugliest looking yotes I have ever seen. It should be in a horror movie, Lol

I still have pretty good eyesight, so I didn’t figure I needed much more than 15x to get out to the ranges I want to. Aside from that, stepping up to bigger glass usually means heavier weight, so that’s another reason I was staying in that range.

if you have a large sportings goods store near you go in and talk to them and see if they will let you look through a couple of scopes outside....cabelas sportsmans warehouse and scheels here in reno all will take you outside with scopes....cabelas and sportsman both have mock up stocks with rubber scope rings here....theres a big difference looking through scopes inside compared to outside.

i am no expert when it comes to glass just a guy that has owned a bunch looking for the right/best one.

I have an LRHS and it is a very impressive scope for the money, and in the price range, probably the best option for most things. It is definitely not as rugged as NF, if that matters to you. Not all NF are equally rugged, for sure, but they mostly include internal build aspects that the bushy lacks, so as long as you don't plan to abuse it, it should hold up to normal hunting just fine. It is very usable on low power for fast close shots, though the circle definitely does not work anything like the RDS's you are used to.

The SWFA 5-20 probably has better glass for low light use, but it is (a little) bigger, heavier, more expensive, and a fair bit harder to use under field conditions than the LRHS. By that, I mean that the adjustments are quite a bit stiffer and harder to move. Now add gloves and cold, and it is not a scope I would choose for that.

If it were me, I would get the LRHS, and then save for a NF 4-16 ATACR, if I wanted best in class glass for the hunting mission. For everything else you list, the bushy will do fine, though the reticle is a little limiting for games, where the NF options are very good, especially the MIL-C.

eta: sorry, I must have confused a 5-20 comment somewhere along the way. You were talking about the 3-15, which is a very comparable scope to the LRHS in many ways.

The SWFA 3-15 is really a nice scope. Same reticle function and limitations as the LRHS, though obviously the reticle is slightly different. If you haven't looked at the SFP version, you should. For hunting, you will have a real reticle even at low power. For precision or distance you will be at 15X anyway, so your subtensions will be true. For non ELR purposes, as long as you stick to 15 and below, I don't find SFP to be an issue at all. Now, if you're talking about using it with IR and stuff, then that's different, but for daylight applications, I really like the SFP SWFA. Much cheaper too, so if you want to start with an optic an plan to upgrade down the road, there's that.

Been playing with the SWFA and the LRHS this morning because of this thread. Everyone's eyes are different, but the LRHS seems slightly clearer to me than SWFA, when using the same magnification. It is hard to tell, and it may be different for other eyes as well. I definitely prefer the parallax adjustment on the LRHS, and for the extra cost, you are getting a good zero stop built in, plus the illum, which I use occasionally during hunts.

I'm a NF snob, but the LRHS is a really good scope for $750. Mine is on a shorty GAP rifle, which seems to fit together really well. I may very well get another one for a Spartan Precision build I have in the works.

Last edited:

apZ4D7dh.jpg

3yN7glkh.jpg

dGYQ1YHh.jpg

On 6.5G(18)

uCFUBIEh.jpg

ILIVe0ah.jpg
What risers are you using in these pics and why use them instead of a unimount type solution?

... What risers are you using in these pics and why use them instead of a unimount type solution? ...
That's a good question !

I move my scopes around. I would rather not re-ring them if possible.

So I have 4 scopes that have the LRF mounts, 2 spuhr and 2 badger... The spuhrs have the xtr2 5-25x scr-mil and the NF ATACR 7-35x T3. the scopes likely to go on the .50BMG(32) and the .300WM(24). The badgers have the xtr2 3-15x scr-mil and the L&S 3-18x T3. The scopes likely to go on the DMR-ish guns, the 6.5G(18) and the 5.56(18). Any of them can go on the 7.62(22) bolt gun.
Unimounts don't work well on bolt gun, at least not the cantilever forward ones. The spuhrs actually are unimounts, but they are not cantilever. I've used cantilever's on bolt guns, but had to re-ring and reverse the scope in the rings.
I have some cantilever mounts, but they sit in the parts box currently.

The risers, allow scopes to be mounted to the dmr-ish rifles without the mounts touching the forearms.

That allows complete take-down, adjusting the AGB etc without removing the scope and generally I'd rather not bridge to the forearm.

The dmr-ish with scopes and risers ... the L&S 3-18 and xtr2 3-15 both in badger rings.

6u3IAxPh.jpg

--
Mounting the NF on the .50BMG(32)

3TC37LCh.jpg

The xtr2 5-25x on the .300WM(24)

XBC7lZ9h.jpg

==
The downside to the risers is weight.

The most recent re-mount of the L&S 3-18x on the 6.5G(18) ditched the risers and bridges to the forearm, which I'd rather not do as might be twisting the scope. But the gun is lighter, I have to admit that!

And for my face, I actually like the extra height the risers add ... I find my head gets tilted sideways a bit without the risers.

==
Anyway, that's the reason :D

... Wig, that has to be one of the ugliest looking yotes I have ever seen. It should be in a horror movie, Lol

Yeah, we had a rough winter here, below 20F morning, noon and night for one 2 week spell ... ice solid on the trees and grass for another 2 week spell ... that was a scrawny yote!

I figured it was something like that, thanks. Who makes the risers?

... Who makes the risers? ...

The 11 inch one was sold my Armasight, not sure who really made it. The 8 inch ones are "Lion Gears Tactical" crappy ones from Amazon ... I suspect both types are chinese ... I didn't want to spend a lot, when I first did it, it was an experiment. The experiment was successful and I've been doing it for over a year. Now I am switching to a "lighter is better" kick and, I've already redone the 6.5G(18) without the risers. Once I shoot up my spare ammo, I'm actually retiring the 6.5G(18) getting out of that caliber. I love the ballistics, it is roughly a 7.62 on a small frame in terms of external ballistics. But I do not like the factory ammo supply breadth and depth. So I will rebuild it as a second 5.56(18) will try a proof barrel. So within a month, all the risers will be in the parts box :)

If I was going to get serious about the risers I would get custom ones made by Ken Farrell Manufacturing from Warsaw, MO ... they've done all my custom rails, like the steel 21 inch rail you see above on the Barrett. That replaces the stock 14.25 inch rail and allows me to run thermal and NV clipons on there. That was $200 which I find totally reasonable for a custom rail like that.

Thanks for the info, I find it all very interesting.

I have a very nice custom 6.5G, that I basically stopped using once my Fix arrived. The Fix is actually lighter in .308, and the same weight in 6.5C, as the AR Grendel was, so hard to justify the AR, when the better (for me) Fix arrived.

BTW, are the numbers in parenthesis the barrel length of the gun?

Yes, numbers in parens are my short hand way of writing a gun, which includes the barrel length.

What is a "FIX" !11 :D I guess I will google and find out !