• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

❓ What Range Finder for Precise Ranging Ground Hogs — $400 max. — 400y max.?

JungleShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2019
Lima, PERU
❓ What Range Finder Has Worked Well for YOU?
For Precise Ranging of Ground Hogs?
$400 max.?
400y max.?

I need to range small targets, groudhound size, out to about 400y. In less than ideal conditions of LRF: full sun.

What models have worked for you?
Sure, if I buy a model with a 4-digit sticker price, I'm sure I won't be disappointed. But I'm looking for something economical, say $400 MRSP! 😄

(Oh, it's not important if your particicular model is discontinued, I might find that model used! 👍🏼)

Thanks for your help!

Matthias

There’s a Horus LRF in the PX. Been up a while. I’d offer $150 and just use that. To 400 yd no problem.

Last edited:
$400 max.?
400y max.?

I need to range small targets, groudhound size, out to about 400y. In less than ideal conditions of LRF: full sun.

Sure, if I buy a model with a 4-digit sticker price, I'm sure I won't be disappointed. But I'm looking for something economical, say $400 MRSP! 😄

(Oh, it's not important if your particicular model is discontinued, I might find that model used! 👍🏼)

Thanks for your help!

Matthias
Sig makes some LRF that are in your price range and provide the ranging you are looking for. Yes, they also make some very expensive ones!! haha

I like the Sig's....accurate with good, clear, easy to see display.

Reactions: YotaEer
Sig makes some LRF that are in your price range and provide the ranging you are looking for. Yes, they also make some very expensive ones!! haha

I like the Sig's....accurate with good, clear, easy to see display.
X2 on the Sigs, my old lady got me one as a gift a few years back and I have no complaints. I think 800 is the max I’ve ranged out with it, seems to do well even with full sun and all the heat radiating off of the lava fields in the middle of the day.

Reactions: Baron23
$400 max.?
400y max.?

Thanks for your help!

Matthias
For Woodchucks and PDogs I started with a Bushnell Elite 1-mile CONX which had amazing glass for a LRF; so good that I used it in place of binos for finding targets. Unfortunately the laser was underpowered for full Sun applications. Cloudy days I could get returns easily in the 800-1k range from tripod (it has a 1/4-20 socket), but full afternoon Sun it wouldn't range a black cow at 400yds!! I then upgraded to a Bushnell Nitro 1800 which was a significant step up in ranging capabilities and speed, but a step backwards in magnification (7x to 6x) and optical quality is not as crisp. It will communicate with a Kestrel. You DO NOT need the $50 "upgrade" Bushnell will try to sell you UNLESS you want improved onboard ballistic calculations. All of the units ranging capabilities are fully unlocked directly out of the box.

Leupold rx2800 works great for smaller targets than groundhogs (prairie dogs) in full-on summer sun. $469.99 at Eurooptic right now, son.

I’ve moved on to Vortex Fury’s and now have a pair of 15x LRF Leicas binos to potentially replace both the spotter and Vortex, but the rx2800 worked well.

Also ranged out past 2500 no problemo