• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1 pound of varget equals .... $0.65 a round

AXEMAN

General Nuisance
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
kansas, topeka
<span style="font-weight: bold">126 </span>rounds at 44.8g and <span style="font-weight: bold">44 </span>rounds at 42g and to be honest i had a little left from the previous pound and about 10 rounds i pulled down that i didnt shoot a ladder test with. but 1 pound gave 170 rounds give or take the 10 and little bit of powder. hope someone finds it helpful

Re: 1 pound of varget equals ....

The math is pretty simple. 1lb = 7000gr. / load weight = number of rounds you get from 1 pound...

they werent all 44.8g though. the math is easy, i just figured id share. the 44.8 was for the bolt and the 42 was just some black hills match 1x i wanted to run thru the ma10. came out to $0.65 a round though

170 rounds per pound at $0.65 per?

Are you saying you paid $110.00 for a pound of Varget???

That doesn't sound right at all.

45gr per charge works out to about 155 rounds per pound.

At $30/lb, that would only be about 20 cents per round for the powder.

oh you guys. i cant leave you alone for a minute can i? sorry to be unclear. i paid 0.18 per for my brass, 28.00 for the powder which for the 160 rounds and the 10 pulldowns, 0.18 a charge roughly. and 0.04 a primer. $125 for 500 168 smks. it all came up to 0.65

does anyone else listen to metallica when they reload. or music at all?

Re: 1 pound of varget equals .... $0.65 a round

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">126 </span>rounds at 44.8g and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">44</span></span> rounds at 42g and to be honest i had a little left from the previous pound and about 10 rounds i pulled down that i didnt shoot a ladder test with. but 1 pound gave 170 rounds give or take the 10 and little bit of powder. hope someone finds it helpful </div></div>
You sure that "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">44</span></span> rounds at 42g" isn't supposed to be "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">144</span></span> rounds at 42g"?

nope. those are the numbers. i have in cases 44 bh match with 42g and 126 lc match loaded at 44.8. i had 10 rounds i recycled and a bit of extra powder from the last batch. all in all i got 65 cents in each round this session if you add it all up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nope. those are the numbers. i have in cases 44 bh match with 42g and 126 lc match loaded at 44.8. i had 10 rounds i recycled and a bit of extra powder from the last batch. all in all i got 65 cents in each round this session if you add it all up. </div></div>
yep, a little slow on the understanding. Wish I could make Varget go farther. It's expensive, but it's very good at what it does.

AXE?? Are you trying to cheer us up or something??

DK

Ouch! 28 bucks a pound stings a little! I just picked up another 8 lb'er and it ran me a smidge over 18 per lb.

and yes, Metallica,Sevendust,etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh you guys. i cant leave you alone for a minute can i? sorry to be unclear. i paid 0.18 per for my brass, <span style="color: #FF0000">28.00 for the powder</span> which for the 160 rounds and the 10 pulldowns, 0.18 a charge roughly. and 0.04 a primer. $125 for 500 168 smks. it all came up to 0.65

does anyone else listen to metallica when they reload. or music at all? </div></div>

28 per pound is a bit much. It's way better off buying powder by the 8lb container.

Sounds as though you paid 27% too much for your powder, and forgot to amortize your brass cost over the life of the case. @ 0.18c per case X 10 loads that would be 0.018c per case in the cost per round calcs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I had the 338LM I got 77 rounds to the pound of Retumbo.
</div></div>

Ditto

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">170 rounds per pound at $0.65 per?

Are you saying you paid $110.00 for a pound of Varget???

That doesn't sound right at all.</div></div>

If he bought the varget back in late 2008, early 2009, it is right.

This thread is kind of funny. I can see spending the high dollar and going all of $.65 for a round of ammo. However, I was one of the hoarders who knew what we would be up against clear back as far as '01. I used to buy primers @ $.015 apiece. Now, they've gone as high as $.03 each if you buy them by the 1k or $.04 each if you buy them by the 100 case. That penny a thousand is a ten buck difference.

I bought 10k Nosler CC's for $.18 each, primers for $.015-$.017 each. Powder was running in the 15-20 range, and I bought 32 lbs. of H4895 for $107 a lb. I also bought 20# of AA4350 @ 12.99 a lb. And, 5500 55 gr. fmj .224 bullets @ $.04

There is no sense in paying too much but even when the getting is good, it costs something. Today, I pay about $.35-$.40 for my coveted Berger 7mm 168's and 180's. Powder hasn't changed much since it peaked and primers are finally coming down. That has remained stable. So, has my Win 7x57 remained constant @ about .$30 per case. Divided by about 8-10 loads, so $.04-$.03 per loading. All told, for me loading super match grade 7x57, it's about $.055 per round. Also, that is not adding in the cost of the special dies I use. If I used their number against 1000 rounds it would come out to $.10, $.40 each for sizing and loading die and $.20 for the sizing bushing. Compared to a 'match loaded round', if I could even get that, it is about %50 of the cost. If I went against 1000 it would be $.65 per round. But, since I don't and do get deals where ever I can it usually runs me about $.45 per round and can run me up to $.55 per round. A dime a round more wouldn't stop me from practicing....

yeah this powder was bought when it was high. i havent gotten to the shop here but i will be buying 8 lbs next. this one was actually 26.00 and i have one that was 32.95 but i paid $30. i got into reloading while the primers were $40/1000. anyway, i just wanted to encourage everyone to reload. custom tailored ammo at below retail. my whole reloading area is 14"x21" and if i just add a few more blocks, ill be more efficient.you dont need a lot of space

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The math is pretty simple. 1lb = 7000gr. / load weight = number of rounds you get from 1 pound... </div></div>

Exactly the same way I was taught to figure mine out.

With my 44.2 Varget loads, I get 158.37 rounds per 1 lb. So per my 8 lb bottle I should get 1266.97 rds made.

This is also not taking into account how much is spilled.

Don't forget to throw in barrel wear. And oh yes - how about figuring in gas mileage back and forth to the range. Almost makes one want to stay home and play tiddly winks! NOT!

And I do rock to AC/DC and Led Zepplin when I reload!

You definitely have to get while the gettin's good. I made the most of the powder valley sale on Tula primers with free shipping/hazmat.

Metallica is too harsh for loading - Cake/Cash/Cars is much better for me.

Ammo component prices are ridiculous. I started reloading about 5 to 6 years ago (just before the price hikes began) and I was paying $15 per thousand of primers... and that was no special deal.

I hope that prices come down soon... but I don't really think they will.

Bullets are the most expensive component followed by powder. for 308, by my calcs, powder is about $.15 a round. Bullets are $.25 - $.40 depending on the manufacturer. Primers are about $.06, and brass is $.04 at 15 reloadings (and I can get more).

YET, everyone seems to focus on how expensive Lapua brass is. You aren't saving much going cheap on the brass. Bullets are another matter... they drive the cost of reloading.

In the big scheme of things, powder is about 25% of the cost of the round... it pays to shop it, but not to use cost as a factor for powder choice.

With bullets, cost is over 50% of the cost of the round, so it might make sense to go with a cheaper bullet, even when sacrificing a little accuracy.

This shit costs to much.

I'm switching back to factory ammo.

A 50% savings is too much?

<span style="color: #3333FF">EDIT:

I just went and searched all the places I know for ammo. I found everywhere I looked:

FGMM 168 gr. runs at least $1.10 per round
Hornady runs runs $1.20 per round.
Nosler using the CC's runs $1.40 per round
Remington runs $1.50 per round.
B.H. runs about the same. Unless of course you can get it through a LE department at their prices.

FGMM w/175 gr. bullets runs $1.90 per round!

The only match grade ammunition I found that averaged under $1.00 per round was Ultramax <span style="text-decoration: underline">Remanufactured</span> @ $.95 a round.

So, it's still cheaper and of course better to reload for yourself. Because as of right now none of the big ammo makers are reloading Bergers. Custom ammo guys are. And they are not usually any cheaper than base price match ammo from the big boys.</span>

If anyone is around canton texas just east of dallas I get varget powder for 1 pound=$24.99 and 8 pounds=$143.00! Here to help ya out! Just PM me and ill get it ordered for ya and i usually get it the next day and you can come pick it up!

The component hook up is to get your C&R FFL, then buy your shit off of Graffs-dealer. Not to mention that you get discounts Brownells, Midway USA, and Del-ton.

Varget is $19.57
8# is $137.95

Just sayin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The component hook up is to get your C&R FFL, then buy your shit off of Graffs-dealer. Not to mention that you get discounts Brownells, Midway USA, and Del-ton.

Varget is $19.57
8# is $137.95

Just sayin</div></div>

And how does one go about getting a C&R FFL?