• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Accuracy build

ScottPriestley

Civilian Contractor
Minuteman
  • I suspect accuracy in a 10/22 comes down to much the same componentry as accuracy in an AR - or really any semi-auto rifle:
    • Favored ammo
    • Chamber cut
    • Barrel to Receiver squareness
    • Trigger
    • Receiver to stock rigidity
    • Bolt to Chamber lockup
    But what do you believe has the most impact?
    Assume everything is within factory spec, nothing is grossly out of spec.
    Arguably, I think:
    1. Find the favored ammo;
    2. With a factory unit, getting the trigger lighter and more consistent should produce better results out of a spec factory barrel/bolt/receiver;
    3. A better trigger needs more stability in the receiver to stock marriage - pillars, bedding or an aftermarket stock would be the next best upgrade ;
    4. With a better trigger and a solid platform the next accuracy improvement would be a better barrel - presumably with a good chamber and square shoulder;
    5. Final piece to the puzzle with a good trigger, stock and barrel would be bolt performance - are there modifications to a factory 10/22 bolt or is a replacement the best option?
    What say you? Am I on the right track here?

BTW - Newb 10/22 owner just bought a 31145 with 18.5" barrel. Not looking for benchrest accuracy but would like bugholes at 50Y, 1/2MOA at 100Y and 1 MOA out to 300Y

I intend to take a quais-scientific approach with this rifle as follows:
    1. Clean, lube, replace Weaver rail with DIP 25 MOA rail and Athlon Talos 4014 FFP scope then shoot to find it's favorite ammo flavor
    2. Brimstone Level 2 or Kidd Trigger Job kit
    3. Victor Titan, Boyds Pro Varmint, KRG Bravo 10/22 if it ever comes out or possibly Oryx
    4. Kidd or Feddersen barrel
    5. Kidd or Volquartsen bolt tuneup

1605987627042.png

Last edited:
    Kidd, Kidd and Kidd ... Barrel, bolt and trigger. But also expensive ...
    I have seen really good results with just a barrel upgrade to Green Mountain and a Timney trigger.
    I have said it before ... the Kidd 2 stage trigger is (to me) about as good as it gets.
    They are fun projects. I have done a few. Not sure true and repeatable .5 MOA @100 is a reasonable expectation but everyone should have a goal!

Reactions: TimC in KY
    I have said it before ... the Kidd 2 stage trigger is (to me) about as good as it gets.

Yeah - $289 is steep. Maybe they'll have a Black Friday blowout.

Not sure true and repeatable .5 MOA @100 is a reasonable expectation but everyone should have a goal!

Is there something about Rimfire that makes this true? It's surely possible with centerfire.

For the accuracy your after and consistent dont fool with a 10/22 regardless of who makes it. unless maybe Joe Chicon. Buy a Vudooand center x and forget the rest. And even then your expectations are too steep except fornthe best shooters in the rimfire world

I purchased my 1st 10/22 about 1974 and have built and owned a-lot of them.Now I just call Tony Kidd up and get a Super Grade barreled action with his trigger and it does not get better then that.

I would say if you want 1/2 moa your best bet would be a Vudoo or possibly one of the other more accurate bolt guns. Sticking with the 10/22 I would say a barrel and bolt from Kidd. Also their trigger.

Don't think you will be able to get more accuracy from a 10-22 type than the Kidd rifles. I believe he guarantees at least 1/2 inch group or smaller at 50 yards

Reactions: TimC in KY
    10/22 is recoil operated so there is no bolt lock up.

I put one of the light kid barrels on my 10/22 and it will shoot 1/2" at 50 with automatch.

I have done what your about to do several times, couple were good one frustrating. It's a fun experience doing all the little tuning alterations to try and squeeze the most from them. But I swear if I were to want another mac-daddy comp auto I will just buy a complete build from Kidd or Tac-Sol, Kidd really.
    One of my better ones is an LVT 10/22 from Accusport, just did all the tuning mods, Kidd trigger(the best-barr none), threaded barrel, bedded action. It's mostly stock, I got lucky with that barrel. On the frustrating one Ruger had/has an issue where some of the barrel bores are not in good alignment with the casting channel, so I have all this high-end peripheral stuff attached to a sub quality receiver and the accuracy has never satisfied me.

1/2" at 100 with any 22 is a very elite club, with a 10/22 may be near impossible on a repeatable basis. That said some of the guys that do nothing but live eat breath 10/22's are getting consistent 0.2-0.3" groups at 50yds. These are the guys that buy 10 custom spun 10/22 barrels from someone like lijia, bore inspect, slug, and shoot them all, pick the best one, and sell/return the rest. However the time and $ to accomplish said goal is just shy of total insanity IMO :)

I've chased factory 10/22's before and usually you can end up spending almost as much $ in parts, and significantly more in ammo/frustration, and when you are done you still have a Ruger 10/22 :) I see three paths that minimise the pain of chasing a 10/22.

Budget: Buy a used factory 10/22, put a green mountain barrel on it, toss in a trigger kit and upgraded bolt, bed the stock of your choice. If it won't shoot pretty well STOP and cut your losses. This is usually a great recipe for a nice field 10/22 for hunting etc.

Build:
    Pic a custom receiver (Kidd, CST, Volquartsen, etc.)
    Kidd trigger
    Pick a bolt, CST/KIDD etc.
    A chassis with full length forearm that takes advantage of the rear tang (KRG, titan,
    Lijia barrel, or whatever flavor custom you like

Buy full build or at least barreled action:
    Kidd, Clark, Joe Chacon, etc. You don't hear much about Clark anymore but they're the ones that originally started building heavy barrel 10/22's in the 80's. Add whatever chassis you like.

Honestly I still feel there's area for improvement in the 10/22 receiver. Volquartsen for example used to do threaded barrels in a steel receiver, but they never did a rear tang action bolt. I'd love to see someone do a steel receiver, machined in pic rail, threaded barrel, and rear tang attachment.