• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000yards on a 24 inch barreled 308

Re: 1000yards on a 24 inch barreled 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was banging a 10"x12" steel plate at 1020 yards Saturday with a 23.5" barreled 308 and the old Sierra Palma bullet (.450 BC) running them 2850 FPS. It helps to be at 8300" ASL.

The newer high BC 155s (Berger Fullbore and Sierra 2156) need to be driven 2900 FPS in order to remain supersonic at 1k at any altitude under any atmospheric conditions. Many locales can get by with a slightly slower 155 or a moderate speed 175 (.505 BC) out of a 24" barrel. </div></div>

That's interesting...

I used to shoot the Lapua 155 Scenar out of my LTR at 2840 & they were STILL supersonic at 1K (600ft elev) at Tiger Valley. I wonder how these bullets differ, both physically & ballistically.

-Wil

Doubt......... yes. Hey match at Oak Ridge this weekend NRA Long Range regional I'll be shooting my Palma rifle. Show up with that 18.5 inch barreled rifle and amaze everyone......

Keyboard cammando..didnt think you had it in you anyway..

Change your mind LMK doors always open friendly it can be..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF,.... I come with folding money in my left hand and Johnny Cash in the other,...can I play in your woods again?

Chacing real targets in the woods,...ain't like "A" square range,...Is It,....!
grin.gif
</div></div>

Anytime and Roger that...

Reticals only, no LRF's unless you want to check my range finding alility,.... again.
laugh.gif

Wait check that, Johnny Cash has never been there, that was the old 300wm. Well hell,... the new 300wm is up and running and it's called "The Man In Black",...may I bring him, to play?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was banging a 10"x12" steel plate at 1020 yards Saturday with a 23.5" barreled 308 and the old Sierra Palma bullet (.450 BC) running them 2850 FPS. It helps to be at 8300" ASL.

The newer high BC 155s (Berger Fullbore and Sierra 2156) need to be driven 2900 FPS in order to remain supersonic at 1k at any altitude under any atmospheric conditions. Many locales can get by with a slightly slower 155 or a moderate speed 175 (.505 BC) out of a 24" barrel. </div></div>

That's interesting...

I used to shoot the Lapua 155 Scenar out of my LTR at 2840 & they were STILL supersonic at 1K (600ft elev) at Tiger Valley. I wonder how these bullets differ, both physically & ballistically.

-Wil

</div></div>

Wil - see my follow-up message above. The info of mine you quoted is in error.

"Hey folks, Monte pointed out an inconsistency in my info above re: 155s, 2975 FPS, and 1k supersonic. At 1k under the worst atmospheric conditions you're still right at 1500 FPS. So, my guidance on the 2975 fps must be based on something else. I am thinking it is the Bisley matches in England and shooting out to 1200 meters. I'll confirm that and get back with the info.

Even my old 2155 Palma bullets at 2850 FPS at sea level is still well into the supersonic range. Sorry for the mis-info."

When did this become a F Class, NRA HP, or Palma site?

The past C/O of the AMU once said, he could teach a monkey to shoot but,... the rest(90%)was a bit harder. There might be something said for that.
Who cares what the shooter uses as long as the target dies? Some work closer than others for many different reasons, but the bottom line is dead is dead, and as long as the shooter gets home w/o leaking, whats the problem?
Whos dick is bigger, only applies to the internet, shooter.
There are no sighters in the real world, your shit needs to be ready from the bird or whatever mode you cross the L/D in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When did this become a F Class, NRA HP, or Palma site?...

...There are no sighters in the real world, your shit needs to be ready from the bird or whatever mode you cross the L/D in. </div></div>

lol....rgr that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When did this become a F Class, NRA HP, or Palma site?

The past C/O of the AMU once said, he could teach a monkey to shoot but,... the rest(90%)was a bit harder. There might be something said for that.
Who cares what the shooter uses as long as the target dies? Some work closer than others for many different reasons, but the bottom line is dead is dead, and as long as the shooter gets home w/o leaking, whats the problem?
There are no sighters in the real world, your shit needs to be ready from the bird or whatever mode you cross the L/D in.</div></div>

It's all good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When did this become a F Class, NRA HP, or Palma site?

There are no sighters in the real world, your shit needs to be ready from the bird or whatever mode you cross the L/D in. </div></div>

Hey how about a little reality check there killer.

If this site were only about the "real world" of one shot/first shot kills it would have 1/1000th the members and activity.

If you can't learn things from multiple perspectives then you can't really learn. Then just sitting back and bitching becomes your full time passion.

I learn something everyday, thats why I have lived as long as I have in an out of the woods, an long past the wire.

I must have said something that touched a nerve or 3. My C/O said something way back when,(circa 1966 I think) bait it an see what jumps out, then go to work.

This site was put here for those that have, will, or want to. One can look at all the doors others open, close, or pass threw an can get a read on that book.

Shooting gets all the glory, but this thread started with a 24" barrel question, but somehow went into a call out about, that length won't get it done. Then went into a bring your stick to a whatever match an show me,... Please.
I've shot along side ASM1 many times and everything he has said in this thread is correct.
Is he a world class paper shooter, no he is not,..Nor am I, but my money says his Fieldcraft and "Field" shooting ability is way better than average. If it's not, thats my fault 125%

You guys operate in a world all your own, as does the Tactical shooter. But don't think for a second, shooting is all of the task. Std in my time was 3-900yds with what was to become the XM21. Would it go longer, yes it would, but with a little F/C one could work as close as they wanted or had the balls for.

Now,... as for the "Killer" part,... you have me mixed up with someone else because,... I'm a, Never Was, Has been, an thats a fact. That said, my logon is correct,...and thats in a AAR or 2 as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now,... as for the "Killer" part,... you have me mixed up with someone else because,... I'm a, Never Was, Has been, an thats a fact. That said, my logon is correct,...and thats in a AAR or 2 as well.

</div></div>

So you then are a first class wannabee making statements like yours as opposed to being a member of the BTDT fraternity. Let's make a deal - we won't say your form of recreational shooting is for shit as long as you don't do the same for ours.

Deal?

I'm not the one pushing a different style of shooting on a Tactical site, all the time. Can we learn from each other sure, but nothing in my old world was at known ranges or stood in one spot in the open.
Wantabee,... thats rich! I enjoy this site for what is was set up for, not to try an push it in another direction, all the time.

Want check that, yes I am a wantabee,
I wantabee the guy that stays home, when called.
I wantabee rich.
I wantabee the guy that finds a cure for cancer.
I wantabee the best coach, for guys going to a 2 way I can.
I wantabee there, for guys returning that are having a hard time leaving it behind in the first few years.

I am the guy walking the flags, of all the fallen, while others drive by at 75 mph.
I am the guy that remembers the S/N of his first, issued XM21.

A, Never Was, Has Been.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whatever was current 3 years AGO I did help put up the targets with fatboy they seem large to me,I shoot 90% of the time at my range at my 14"x30" gong and they where way bigger than that .. It was a factory P 300WM at tullahoma if that is the correct spelling there where hide members there if one has dout and I have the score card as well..
The caliber was diffrent ,but the argument was the same,Was told I would have my ass handed to me by 6.5x284's and such ..I am not a FTR shooter and dont even know what all that stuff is and dont care..
</div></div>

I see. Then in terms of current FC targets, your score for the 40 rounds, would have been 377 out of 400 with a small number of Xs. In January of 2007, the NRA issued new FC target that are 1/4 the size of the corresponding Highpower rings in area. I think you would be surprised at the size of the FC targets now.

Over the years, I have had the honor to shot alongside USMC snipers, US Army and Navy snipers, desginated marksmen, etc. I have never professed to having any of the skills that enable a sniper/marsman, etc to get to the position to take the shot; I am simply an NRA-classified competition shooter. On the other hand, I was not issued my rifles, I built them and directed gunsmiths to do very specific things to them that I was not able or chose not to do myself but they are my "design." I created, tested and then assembled my ammunition. I do not have a spotter when I shoot, and my sigthers would be considered "good hits," most every time as I try to be as accurate as possible from the first round. Many are the times, I wished for convertible sighters.

If this site is only reserved for snipers, I must have missed that caveat when I signed up, and since I have been posting here for a week or more, and never about sniping subjects, I would expect that I would have received notice from a moderator that F-class and NRA competition subjects are not allowed here. Maybe that message went astray because I haven't seen one.

All,

In my geographic area, there's only one 1000 yard range; and, it's only open to Citizens for NRA governed competition. Most see this as an opportunity for structured practice, perhaps their only opportunity; and thus, they take advantage of it. That's good, as this sort of venue is helpful to anyone seeking to improve their comprehension of LR shooting, regardless of how "real world" may be defined.

ALL

FT/R class shooters don't have the same amount of respect from me with a Win as someone who won ASC or such,

I have shot with FT/R shooters and I don't think there gear nor style will do as well in my world..

I would like to be spanked by anyone with an FT/R rig and invite this to happen on my home field otherwise anyone that has talk the smack to me need ask for directions or be silent,Play my game then I will come play yours thats the way it is.

I will respect what FT/R uses for there need/use or aplication, I just wish FT/R shooters would not respond in threads about tactical discussion or information with FT/R information or load information unless somehow your set up fit the thread question or use or weapon in some way ,It gets nowhere unless you have such weaponry in the same type to input valid help otherwise who give a shit that you can extract abnormal velocities form abnormal non tactical weaponry ..

I will show in my sig what type of shooting I do so as not to confuse or intice FT/R shooters to respond about my tactical need/use and answers to threads..

And if its an FT/R question I will RLH.

All shooting, that's to say, marksmanship, is the same-understand where the gun is pointed and control where it's pointed until recoil subsides.

The OP had a simple question which, in the context of any shooting style, category or discipline, has one answer-yes, a bullet from 24 inch barrelled .308 can get to 1000 yards nose-on.

Most any shooting competition out there is going to be useful in keeping alive Teddy Roosevelt's ideal of a "Nation of Marksmen", a concept all about folks being prepared to defend our Country.

Sterling Shooter,
AMEN Brother!!! I am a tactical an field shooter. My son grew up learning to shoot with me then went to sniper school. He shoots Hipower an sniper matches for the Guard now and is a hell of a shooter.

The thing is he is a better all around shooter than I am because he shoots Hipower an learned to shoot the "Correct" way. I can stay with him shooting off of bipods or over a ruck but when it comes to off hand or position shooting I suck he doesn't.