• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Re: Not all comparators are equal, Sinclair v Horniday

Actually it's a non issue. It does not matter what size bore the comparator has, so long as it's say .002" smaller than bullet diameter. I ahve used many different brands and made a bunch in the lathe with just whatever drill bit seemed would work.

What DOES matter is that you develop your load and continue to use the SAME individual comp for ALL your loading for that cartridge/rifle.

It's kinda like this: say you buy a CHEAP tape measure that is actually 7/8" off. or in that much error. say you need to cut a new shelf board for your book shelf. Well so long as you measure the gap with the bad tape measure, then measure the new board stock and cut it with the bad tape measure- you'll have a perfect fit. you won't get messed up unless you throw a different tape in the mix.

and you comparing two different comps is throwing two different tapes into the mix.

Like Tres said, as long as you use the same thing time and time again, none of that will matter.

I was curious about this also. I ordered two comparator inserts from Sinclair and there is a noticeable difference between them.

hey bud, I saw the title post, and was like "oh shit" someone's having the same issue that we had today! HA!!! Thanks again for the help...guess I'll go pick up that OAL gauge at Cabby's.