• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

(100YARD), Semi-Auto, 6groups, 30round SHOOTOUT!

Re: SemiAuto, 6 groups, 5shot each, 30 round SHOOTOUT!

not a problem, OP is changed. good shooting and get that rifle pic posted WITH your entry....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suck at this,sorry, Lyman owl ear up front. </div></div>

I tried this. I am only posting so you guys can see how not to shoot!
crazy.gif
You said post good and bad!
My sons and I went to the range at the Talladega National Forest and it was great!

It was the first time I had fired my 16inch AR-10T that we built to hunt deer and hogs with. It only had 3 test rounds through it before Sat.
I learned allot about what I want in an AR rifle. My mount and scope have to go.
The mount is too tall and the scope sux.
I need a ton more practice with this rifle.
We had a great day though!
I shot semi bagged from a bench. I had front bags and tried to use a pack at the rear.
I fired with 5 rounds in the mag taking time to load another mag in between. I should have waited longer.
I forgot to write jcal73 on the target.
I know there are only 29 holes, I'm just posting for fun.
I don't know if I can't count or just missed the small target.
Groups with 308 Winchester 165grn Federal Fusion factory loads.(The highest grn I could get my hands on local.)
2.34+2.422+3.5+1.99+2.38+1.98= 14.612/6= 2.435 AVG. I know don't laugh!

DSCF0195.jpg

DSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0197.jpg

Link to Pics Of the Day we had

Armalite AR-10T 16inch
DSCF0186.jpg

Good job jcal73. Sounds like you had a good day of shooting with your sons and there is nothing wrong with that. Thanks for taking the time and effort to post your results. IMO, these are not too darn bad for factory ammo and keep up the good work! Thanks for walking the walk my friend.

Elfster1234

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcal73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried this. I am only posting so you guys can see how not to shoot!
crazy.gif
You said post good and bad!
My sons and I went to the range at the Talladega National Forest and it was great!

It was the first time I had fired my 16inch AR-10T that we built to hunt deer and hogs with. It only had 3 test rounds through it before Sat.
I learned allot about what I want in an AR rifle. My mount and scope have to go.
The mount is too tall and the scope sux.
I need a ton more practice with this rifle.
We had a great day though!
I shot semi bagged from a bench. I had front bags and tried to use a pack at the rear.
I fired with 5 rounds in the mag taking time to load another mag in between. I should have waited longer.
I forgot to write jcal73 on the target.
I know there are only 29 holes, I'm just posting for fun.
I don't know if I can't count or just missed the small target.
Groups with 308 Winchester 165grn Federal Fusion factory loads.(The highest grn I could get my hands on local.)
2.34+2.422+3.5+1.99+2.38+1.98= 14.612/6= 2.435 AVG. I know don't laugh!

DSCF0195.jpg

DSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0197.jpg

Link to Pics Of the Day we had

Armalite AR-10T 16inch
DSCF0186.jpg
</div></div>

Will give some of you guys and gals that are thinking about doing this shootout one small bit of advice from my own experience doing these groups.

Heat build up inside your barrel is a B!tch !!! IMO, one of the biggest factors in killing your group size with a semi auto. If you don't give your rifle atleast 5 min break between each 5shot groupings, then your groups will really start to open up on about the 5th to 6th group. I'll load up only 5rounds in the mag for each group. After the group is done with the bolt still back and allowing air to flow thru the barrel I'll take about a 5min break to allow the barrel to cool. The more time you take the better. If you want bullet holes somewhat touching on each group, then IMO this is a must have. HEAT will kill your groups. Not saying I know everything and this will fix all problems, but IMO I really do think it helps IF you are going for ultra tight groups. Just from my own experience.

Elfster1234

Jcal73, too darn bad you are missing the 30th bullet! You would've made the leader board because you took the time and effort. It takes some cojones to post real world result regardless of the group size. Nice job again. You need to find that missing bullet! I would love to get you on the boards, but the rules are the rules.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jcal73, too darn bad you are missing the 30th bullet! You would've made the leader board because you took the time and effort. It takes some cojones to post real world result regardless of the group size. Nice job again. You need to find that missing bullet! I would love to get you on the boards, but the rules are the rules. </div></div>

It's not there. I either missed all together or never fired it.
I really need to work on my point of aim and body positioning.
The rifle will do much better, it's me that needs improvment.

Not making excuses, but the cheap Leupold I have on the rifle made those orange dots turn to blobs at 100.
I have older vari-x II's that are way better than the vx-2 that is on there now.
I'm looking at USO and other options now.
I'm really waiting for the USO SN-8 and others in that class.

Oh, a variety of different weights and brands of ammo are on order. If I can find something it really likes I'm gonna try to duplicate it in a hand load.
O CRAP I"M NEW AT THAT AS WELL!

Thanks for the kind words!

Jeff

sounds good brother, get us another 30round result.... looking forwards to it.

I personally like to use 1" to 3/4" round orange or black markings for shooting at 100yards...

As in the movie "the patriot", <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">aim small miss small</span></span> if you have the scope to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcal73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jcal73, too darn bad you are missing the 30th bullet! You would've made the leader board because you took the time and effort. It takes some cojones to post real world result regardless of the group size. Nice job again. You need to find that missing bullet! I would love to get you on the boards, but the rules are the rules. </div></div>

It's not there. I either missed all together or never fired it.
I really need to work on my point of aim and body positioning.
The rifle will do much better, it's me that needs improvment.

Not making excuses, but the cheap Leupold I have on the rifle made those orange dots turn to blobs at 100.
I have older vari-x II's that are way better than the vx-2 that is on there now.
I'm looking at USO and other options now.
I'm really waiting for the USO SN-8 and others in that class.

Oh, a variety of different weights and brands of ammo are on order. If I can find something it really likes I'm gonna try to duplicate it in a hand load.
O CRAP I"M NEW AT THAT AS WELL!

Thanks for the kind words!

Jeff </div></div>

This is the third time with this gun to the range since I built it. First time with match ammo (if you can call it that).

18" SPR AR15 build, Vortex HS 5-15x40 glass, Prvi 75 gr HPBT "match" ammo

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Groups</span>
1.275"
1.130"
1.000"
0.985"
1.250"
0.780"

Avrage 1.070"

<span style="font-weight: bold">I plan on improving on this a lot when my 77 gr SMK's and Winchester brass arrives.</span>

Thanks elfster1234 for starting this thread. A challenge is always fun!

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

Ok Tried again today with the GAP 10 6 Creedmore 23" barrel 105 hornady over H4350 and Hdmr from a plastic Midway front rest and a rabbit ear rear. I am running the 105s just over 3000 and have a tight load at just over 3200 but hot weather makes primers leave the building.
IMG-20120902-00090.jpg

Average was.847, Heat again gets the call as spoiler and the center group shows it.I find it is very difficult to find time to give 10 min between strings and after 12 5 shot groups I can tell you that any more than 2 strings and they will start walking,at least in my setup.
IMG-20120902-00087.jpg

Best was.665, not quite as good as the other but over 60 rds the gap 10 averaged .785 so I am not ready to throw it away yet. I am just starting the Gas gun thing and struggle getting a good position from the bench. If I try it again i am going Prone.
IMG-20120902-00086.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sat down and gave her a good cleaning and fired a fouler +5 to check after things cooled and without the 1 round clean barrel fouler the 5 went.265 on another target.
IMG-20120901-00085.jpg
</div></div>

Damn good shooting bro but sorry to tell you that you shot a .365"
blush.gif
not a .265"

RATs... and I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling Kids...shooters!
mad.gif

That is the result of a solid public education, you would have thought that at 16 years old, that 4th grade stuff would have sunk in!
laugh.gif

Sorry four the foul. Post Edited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the third time with this gun to the range since I built it. First time with match ammo (if you can call it that).

1.275"
1.130"
1.000"
0.985"
1.250"
0.780"

Avrage 1.070"

<span style="font-weight: bold">I plan on improving on this a lot when my 77 gr SMK's and Winchester brass arrives.</span>

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

</div></div>

Haha your YouTube name wouldn't happen to be "xxsurexxshotxx" would it?
If it's not then I just want to let you know that there's a guy out there with the same exact rifle, workbench, and reloading equipment as you.

Anyways nice shooting, keep it up! Hopefully my Noveske will shoot as well as yours!

Wow, very nice shooting peps!! Give me some time to mod the OP.. Very awesome!

Elfster1234

Nice 2nd try Jon!! Very impressive. Looks like you came close again. That is one impressive rifle you got there.

Elfster1234

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok Tried again today with the GAP 10 6 Creedmore 23" barrel 105 hornady over H4350 and Hdmr from a plastic Midway front rest and a rabbit ear rear. I am running the 105s just over 3000 and have a tight load at just over 3200 but hot weather makes primers leave the building.

Average was.847, Heat again gets the call as spoiler and the center group shows it.I find it is very difficult to find time to give 10 min between strings and after 12 5 shot groups I can tell you that any more than 2 strings and they will start walking,at least in my setup.

Best was.665, not quite as good as the other but over 60 rds the gap 10 averaged .785 so I am not ready to throw it away yet. I am just starting the Gas gun thing and struggle getting a good position from the bench. If I try it again i am going Prone. </div></div>

Not a problem at all cox380... This is some fun and challenging stuff here,,, and that is some damn good shooting. Very nice job and nice rifle! Welcome to the leader boards!

Elfster1234

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the third time with this gun to the range since I built it. First time with match ammo (if you can call it that).

1.275"
1.130"
1.000"
0.985"
1.250"
0.780"

Avrage 1.070"

</div></div>

Jon, I hate to bust your balls,,,, but you have another math mistake on your #6 grouping. Not to worry as you are still the man to beat,, but it should be 1.157 and not 1.147... Prob not a big deal and I'll change the OP if you could edit your first entry.. You just never know tho!! someone else with a gap 10 could be going toe to toe with ya!! Your new average, and still the best to beat would be .7256" and not .724"

See guys!! I think this guy is trying to fool us all!! JK... LOL

Elfster1234

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so today I tried this with my GAP 10 in 6 Creed. The rifle has over 700 rounds without cleaning(First Issue) and I fired all 6 groups without stopping except to reload the P Mag(second Issue). Shot this rifle in several matches but hadn't put it on paper in a long while, so I hadn't realized the groups had opened. Oh, and for those asking, consecutive 30 round 6 creed strings gets stuff pretty hot, to the point of barrel mirage.
Strings ran:
IMG-20120901-00082.jpg

Best #2 string .512
IMG-20120901-00084.jpg

Sat down and gave her a good cleaning and fired a fouler +5 to check after things cooled and without the 1 round clean barrel fouler the 5 went.<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 11pt">365</span></span></span> on another target.
IMG-20120901-00085.jpg

Rain came and ended the playing outside so we will give it another run when it quits. I think it will do better 700 rds cleaner and allowing cooling between strings. </div></div>

Very nice looking rifle CanSniper!! LMT looks bad a$$ with the PRS stock rocking! Thanks for posting the rifle pic. How hard was it to install?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here we go Elf.
This is not the best, but its pretty typical.
I dont think it will be up for long, but I hope to better it this weekend.

Shot with LMT MWS 18"ss
Running my 178 AMAX hand load.
Prone off of a bipod and rear bag.
photobucket-29253-1346622029789.jpg

avg 1.05"
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pigman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Haha your YouTube name wouldn't happen to be "xxsurexxshotxx" would it?
If it's not then I just want to let you know that there's a guy out there with the same exact rifle, workbench, and reloading equipment as you.
</div></div>

xxsurexxshotxx is my good friend. We make a lot of videos together. Thats my gun and my bench...his camera. lol

Edited, Please lord let the embarrassment stop!

*If you are reading this saga, and live in my house, I will do devious things to you if this comes up in our conversations!

I don't usually go out with the intent of shooting groups, but in the spirit of things I may have to give this a go.

Besides I want to try something different with my gas gun loads, so it's a good time to experiment.

Re: The AR, 6 groups, 5shots each, 30 round SHOOTOUT!

Oh I can't wait to get my OBR out and give this a try.

Ok I don't know if this counts, but what the heck, I'll post them up. They were taken last winter after my last deployment for an experiment I did for a article readers on another forum was interested in on light bullets out of fast twists (1/9 in my case)

From load testing for my AR-15. DPMS upper and lower. Konus Pro 1.5-5x32 Scope. Nothing special just a good day. Loads were with 40gr Sierra BlitzKings, Federal Brass, CCI Primers, and Varget and H335 powders. I generally get about MOA out of it with my current load which is a 50gr Dogtown in front of 26gr H335 out of Military brass of mixed lots (cheap load).

l.jpg

My control load of factory 55gr on my daughter's target
l.jpg

The experiment target. I aim in at the center and the end of each post for groups.
l.jpg
l.jpg
l.jpg
l.jpg
l.jpg

The best. Ended up being a fluke as follow ups got only an average of .37
l.jpg

Yes, it was cold

thos are some damn nice groups, but you are just short one group. sorry friend... see if you can do another target, but with 6groups as per the OP.... Nice rifle tho and nice shootin.

Elfster1234

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gdcpony</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I don't know if this counts, but what the heck, I'll post them up. They were taken last winter after my last deployment for an experiment I did for a article readers on another forum was interested in on light bullets out of fast twists (1/9 in my case)

From load testing for my AR-15. DPMS upper and lower. Konus Pro 1.5-5x32 Scope. Nothing special just a good day. Loads were with 40gr Sierra BlitzKings, Federal Brass, CCI Primers, and Varget and H335 powders. I generally get about MOA out of it with my current load which is a 50gr Dogtown in front of 26gr H335 out of Military brass of mixed lots (cheap load).

Yes, it was cold </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thos are some damn nice groups, but you are just short one group. sorry friend... see if you can do another target, but with 6groups as per the OP.... Nice rifle tho and nice shootin.

Elfster1234

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gdcpony</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I don't know if this counts, but what the heck, I'll post them up. They were taken last winter after my last deployment for an experiment I did for a article readers on another forum was interested in on light bullets out of fast twists (1/9 in my case)

Yes, it was cold </div></div></div></div>
I added the control from the target my daughter used that day. I can show you the targets side by side, but she was using a cheap Rossi. Would that work? I won't be shooting for a few weeks as I am in the field(active Marine) after next weekend and next weekend is the bow opening day here which I never miss! Deer must die!

Good luck deer hunting. I'm sure this post will be around for some time so the next time you get a chance to kick 30rounds down range, post your results. Thanks for the pics. Semper Fi my friend.

[/quote]
I added the control from the target my daughter used that day. I can show you the targets side by side, but she was using a cheap Rossi. Would that work? I won't be shooting for a few weeks as I am in the field(active Marine) after next weekend and next weekend is the bow opening day here which I never miss! Deer must die! [/quote]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck deer hunting. I'm sure this post will be around for some time so the next time you get a chance to kick 30rounds down range, post your results. Thanks for the pics. Semper Fi my friend. </div></div>

That I will. Thanks. I feel the need to see just how well I can do (the rifle does much better than I) when I get back. Hopefully, the freezer is full by then as my oldest will be flinging arrows at these little NC deer while I am away. Them poor things need the luck with her out there! LOL

Semper Fi!

SSgt G. D. Clayton

LOL, too funy jon. You are a good man. Thanks. Keep up the good shooting. I did not deduct any points for math mistakes. Hehehe. I'll see if I can out do you this next weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edited, Please lord let the embarrassment stop!

*If you are reading this saga, and live in my house, I will do devious things to you if this comes up in our conversations!
</div></div>

Make sure you have enough time to allow cool time and you will do great. Lack of time and patients is an Enemy of this exercise , but it is addictive!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure you have enough time to allow cool time and you will do great. Lack of time and patients is an Enemy of this exercise , but it is addictive!</div></div> Very true. I do a minute between shots and take a break between groups. If my rifles can't bench (clamped) at MOA then I sell them off. Usually it is me who is about 1.5-2 MOA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure you have enough time to allow cool time and you will do great. Lack of time and patients is an Enemy of this exercise , but it is addictive! </div></div>

I need to work on this as well.
The little aluminum handguard was even heating up on my rifle.

Jeff

I tried again and averaged 1.15MOA I know it can do better though. Every group measured within a quarter of an inch of the other so whatever I'm doing I'm doing it consistently.

Very interesting seeing what the OBRs and GAPs can do especially that 6mm those are great groups.

can still post your results.... i'm sure everyone would like to check it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried again and averaged 1.15MOA I know it can do better though. Every group measured within a quarter of an inch of the other so whatever I'm doing I'm doing it consistently.

Very interesting seeing what the OBRs and GAPs can do especially that 6mm those are great groups.
</div></div>

Elfster,

I wanna play but i dont wanna waste 30 bullets at 100yards.

I have a brand new, unfired 308AR i built for highpower competitions.

I want to go try the loads that worked well in my other 308AR.

My plan would be to shoot two (2) five shot groups at 100yards, 200yards, and 300yards...I'm doing this for dope considerations and also to see how the groups hold up at midrange.

Please advise whether this is ok and i'll post up targets after i get back from the range...

in order to keep this thread consistant, rules are the rules, and just to be fair to everyone else that has already posted based upon these rules, you might want to post your results in your own thread in the semi-auto section. I'm sure everyone, including myself, would like to check out your results at 100 / 200 / 300 yards with your rifle. Don't forget pics! Thanks,

Elfster1234

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elfster,

I wanna play but i dont wanna waste 30 bullets at 100yards.

I have a brand new, unfired 308AR i built for highpower competitions.

I want to go try the loads that worked well in my other 308AR.

My plan would be to shoot two (2) five shot groups at 100yards, 200yards, and 300yards...I'm doing this for dope considerations and also to see how the groups hold up at midrange.

Please advise whether this is ok and i'll post up targets after i get back from the range... </div></div>

Well I'll play

Average = .842
Best .62
Rifle is a RRA 16" middy barrel with YHM lower and a 2-8 Nikon
ar.jpg

Target
target.jpg

Best
best.jpg

Let me know if I did this correct and/or if I need to change something
Thanks,
Ron

Heck yeah Crashnrondo. Very nice consistant shooting! I got a rock river myself and I really like it. Good job.

Welcome to the leader boards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crashnrondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'll play

Average = .842
Best .62
Rifle is a RRA 16" middy barrel with YHM lower and a 2-8 Nikon

Let me know if I did this correct and/or if I need to change something
Thanks,
Ron </div></div>

Here's my contribution:

Average: 1.196

Shot with my mutt AR15. 18" WOA SPR Barrell. Rock River 2 stage trigger sucks.
Sand bag up front. Rear bag support. Sitting at a bench.

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

Damn, everyone is kicking some a$$ today. Nice work Robinc. WTG. Just edit your posting on how you took your shots on you're golden. Thanks for the post! Nice looking rifle also!

Welcome to the leader boards Robinc!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's my contribution:

Average: 1.196

Shot with my mutt AR15. 18" WOA SPR Barrell. Rock River 2 stage trigger sucks.
</div></div>

edited thanks brother.

This is one of the best threads going since I joined.

Good work,

-Bob

ooo tag, i want to play, cant wait to get some more range time.

Thanks for the nice remarks gang and the 5stars. I've had the last 10days off (been working on the house & doing a ton of reloading / shooting),,,and I'm now back to work & the real world so I'll try my best to keep a tab on this post. If you make an entry, then I should be able to get it posted on the OP within a day or two. I'll try my best to see if there is any updates. Keep up the good work. This is some real world results / information going on here that I'm sure everyone will enjoy.

Tag for a couple of weeks from now when I can get to the range...

Just an FYI everyone.

You can not have multiple rankings / measurements on the leader boards,,,, <span style="font-weight: bold">only your best entry will make the boards with your one rifle</span>.... You can however, have multiple leader-board entries by using two completely different semi auto rifles. Rock out as many semi auto rifles / entries as you want. Time to bust out that semi-auto collection!! Only way to increase your ranking on the leader board is to produce better results / entry pics with your one rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is one of the best threads going since I joined.

Good work,

-Bob </div></div>

I agree totally. Too bad my gap 10 is still four months out.

The leader board is shaping up nicely.

Thanks for putting this together - very well thought out and fun to see what sort of consistent groups people can put up.