• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10mm powder

Alabusa

Learning
Minuteman
  • Jan 1, 2018
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    I am reloading 10mm with 155gr, 180gr and 200gr XTPs. My choices in powder is BE86, Longshot and Blue Dot.

What are your go to powders for 10mm?

Here is what i use each for
    155gr- coyotes
    180gr- deer
    200gr- carry

My primary platform is a Springfield XDm10 4.5 OSP
    20200419_094700.jpg

I have Longshot on hand for 10mm but havent loaded anything yet.

I have used Longshot, BE86, and Accurate #9 (as well as a few others). I really like Accurate #9 and BE86, but Longshot is great also.

Longshot and Accurate #9. I mainly only keep Longshot on the shelf, as I use it for both 10mm and .40sw full effort loads. You'll get a little more velocity out of Accurate #9, but it is less efficient.

A#9 is my go to right now. Going to try some 800x soon. I weight each charge, so not concerned about metering. If you drop, don’t try 800x.

I use Be-86. Works well for me. I loaded some 180s a little hotter than the page calls for and it was more accurate out of my Delta Elite.

Reactions: Alabusa
    Have loaded A LOT of 10mm. For velocity Longshot was hard to beat with Power Pistol a close second. AA#9 has higher recoil than all the other's. 800X meters like corn flakes. Just picked up some Be86 and I like it better than Longshot.

Vectan BA9 is one of my favorite pistol powders. 9mm, 40, 10MM, 45acp... I use it in all of em

I bought 8lbs of Accurate #9 because I like it so well with 200XTP's. I had a couple of pressure spikes with 800X, unexplained. All of course were trickle charged due to the shape of this powder. #9 uses 12.6-13.1grs and that's a lot but fills the case nicely and double charges are not possible without overflow.

I shot Blue Dot in my old 10mm comp gun with 155 lead, always super accurate and very clean.
    Really made the compensator work well. I still have an 8 lb keg in the loading room.

Reactions: Alabusa
    No one has tried Blue Dot?

I think my next step is Longshot with 180 and 200 grain pills.
    Thanks all!!

my glock 20 liked blue dot, but I just shot a few hundred rounds through the sig elite today, and it was pretty poor. Same with 2400.

the sig likes CFE best so far. I wouldnt mind trying longshot though.

No one has tried Blue Dot?

I think my next step is Longshot with 180 and 200 grain pills.
    Thanks all!!
    Blue Dot @ 10.0 with 200 XTP and CCI 300
    1175 FPS in G20 max load for me !

Last edited:
    I am reloading 10mm with 155gr, 180gr and 200gr XTPs. My choices in powder is BE86, Longshot and Blue Dot.

What are your go to powders for 10mm?

Here is what i use each for
    155gr- coyotes
    180gr- deer
    200gr- carry

My primary platform is a Springfield XDm10 4.5 OSP
    View attachment 7302885
    For years used 800x with 180/200 XTP bullets then switched to Blue Dot again with great results with hot hunting loads in G20

Reactions: diggler1833
    13.5 gr of Accurate #9 with 180 gr bullet, with 6" barrel and proper 1911 recoil spring. Just flippin rocks!

Blue Dot @ 10.6 with 200 XTP and CCI 300
    1250 FPS in G20

You dug deep for this thread! Ha.
    .I'm shocked all of the velocities reported in here with Blue Dot. I could barely break 1100 FPS with blue dot and 200 grain bullets out of my G20.

Reactions: Alaska
    I get great velocity and accuracy from Longshot. Accuracy is best with hot loads in my two Glocks with KKM barrels. I run 9.3g with 180g bullets and CCI 350 mag primers.
    G20 1307fps
    G40 1389fps

Last edited:
    Reactions: Alaska
    10mm Auto
    220 Hardcast Lead Cherry 22 BHN
    Starline Brass
    CCI 300 large pistol primer
    Long Shot Powder @ 8.0
    Coal 1.2535”
    1195 to 1200 fps in G20

10mm Auto
    220 Hardcast Lead Cherry 22 BHN
    Starline Brass
    CCI 300 large pistol primer
    Long Shot Powder @ 8.0
    Coal 1.2535”
    1195 to 1200 fps in G20
    Do you have a link to the projectile you are using?

I've been experimenting with Xtreme 220 RNFP and Lil'Gun in my G40 with KKM6.5" threaded barrel. I've worked my way up to 12.5gr. It's compressed, but not worse than loading it in 300 blk with a 110 VMAX max load. COAL doesn't abnormally vary and is the same as I get loading an empty case. The cases aren't sooty at all (look completely clean) and there aren't any pressure signs whatsoever. I contacted Hodgdon and talked with them about the load. They are going to test it and the guy I spoke with is going to get back to me when they have results.

1664054452090.png

1664054470410.png

I'll have to try Longshot if I come across it. Been trying to find AA#9 since I got the gun, but no luck. Have also tried AutoComp and 3N38 with this bullet.

I noticed at reduced loads this residue will occur in the 10mm.
    I carry my G20 in bear woods of Alaska so I prefer 200 to 220gr at least close to 1200fps in 4.75” KKM barrel.
    I cannot get Longshot anymore, now the only powder I have is Blue Dot. But “Longshot” is the powder !

Last edited:
    Necro-ish thread

@kombayotch

Did Hodgdons ever get back to you ref your Lil'Gun findings? I'm getting into 10mm and have a keg of Lil'Gun not being used for anything else at the moment.

AA9 is still the top performer for heavy cast 10mm, and it produces the lowest amount of flash. It uses the heaviest powder charges too, but if you're using a brake that means it gives the best recoil reduction too for a given speed - a lot like using Autocomp for 9mm loads. It also meters so well that you don't need to weigh every charge, and it's bulky enough that it's usually hard to overcharge a case without serious compression.

Longshot gives pretty good speeds and is more efficient (i.e. uses less powder per load) than AA9. You do have to be more careful about loading at the limit and possible overcharging though.

Blue Dot and Power Pistol are OK third tier performers but cause such large bright flash that I don't care to use them any more. Blue Dot doesn't meter all that consistently anyway.

If a guy just wants 40 S&W equivalent loads there are at least 20 different powders that work well, and the more efficient choices are the faster powders like we use in mild 9mm and 45 Auto loads.

I'm using w572 for my 200gr Montana Gold SWC gas check Hardcast. Very accurate load and 1160fps SD4 out of my factory Glock 40.... I havent chrono it out if my Dan Wesson Bruin... My glock 40 is at Barsto now getting a custom match barrel so we will see how it does in the new barrel when it gets back.

I posted my data and targets in this thread.

The big (at least to me) drawback to longshot is it is freaking LOUD.
    I only had a 6” 10 and I never got why everyone said it was so loud. Was always an excellent, mild performer. Finally shot one of my handloads through a 5” Delta Elite and goddamn! It was like a SBR with a brake.

I think the extra inch really, really helps with LS.

Reactions: wvfarrier
    Necro-ish thread

@kombayotch

Did Hodgdons ever get back to you ref your Lil'Gun findings? I'm getting into 10mm and have a keg of Lil'Gun not being used for anything else at the moment.

Yes, but they used a different bullet (cast vs Xtreme), so they didn't get good velocities and were compressing the load excessively.

rczpeSX.png

The Xtreme 220 is about 0.08" shorter than the cast bullets. I get them over 1200 fps. quite easily in my G40 with Lil'Gun with no pressure signs whatsoever on the cases. Using small primer cases and a magnum primer. You get crazy flyers with faster powders though. Tech at Xtreme tells me that this is due to the copper plating being pretty thin on these. Told them that there would be a lot of interest in these bullets if they fixed that and plated them thicker, but they didn't seem interested. Lil'Gun is pretty slow in this application, so it accelerates them in a more gentle manner, I suspect.

The brass I use (Blazer) also has a lot of capacity vs. other cases like Federal. That also helps.

Longshot is definitely the darling with the 220 cast bullets. AA#9 didn't give the the velocities Longshot did. Only got to a little over 1100 fps. before I ran out of room in the case. Might try AA#7.

Using 5.7gr Autocomp for subsonic load with these bullets. Going to get a Fly 45 soon...

x0voy7r.png

Last edited:
    Reactions: towerofpower93
    Yes, but they used a different bullet (cast vs Xtreme), so they didn't get good velocities and were compressing the load excessively.

rczpeSX.png

The Xtreme 220 is about 0.08" shorter than the cast bullets. I get them over 1200 fps. quite easily in my G40 with Lil'Gun with no pressure signs whatsoever on the cases. Using small primer cases and a magnum primer. You get crazy flyers with faster powders though. Tech at Xtreme tells me that this is due to the copper plating being pretty thin on these. Told them that there would be a lot of interest in these bullets if they fixed that and plated them thicker, but they didn't seem interested. Lil'Gun is pretty slow in this application, so it accelerates them in a more gentle manner, I suspect.

The brass I use (Blazer) also has a lot of capacity vs. other cases like Federal. That also helps.

Longshot is definitely the darling with the 220 cast bullets. AA#9 didn't give the the velocities Longshot did. Only got to a little over 1100 fps. before I ran out of room in the case. Might try AA#7.

Using 5.7gr Autocomp for subsonic load with these bullets. Going to get a Fly 45 soon...

x0voy7r.png

The problem with the plated bullets is not just the thin plating; it’s the very soft lead core too. Since that soft lead is necessary for swaging (the method they use to form those bullets), they’re not likely to ever change it. This is why most shooters working with full power 10mm loads usually learn to avoid plated bullets.

You are probably getting away with it using LilGun because of low pressures, which is a good thing if you can get the velocity. But that bullet won’t hold up to pressures of normal full power 10mm loads.

Also, something is wrong if you only got 1100 fps with AA9; that’s not normal, especially since you claim more case capacity with your components. AA9 normally will give higher velocities than Longshot and at lower pressure, but gets there right as the load starts to become compressed.

My 200gr cast bullet load, for example, does 1,375 fps from a G40 (threaded barrel) with AA9, and I’ve used several other 200gr bullets at similar speeds.

The problem with the plated bullets is not just the thin plating; it’s the very soft lead core too. Since that soft lead is necessary for swaging (the method they use to form those bullets), they’re not likely to ever change it. This is why most shooters working with full power 10mm loads usually learn to avoid plated bullets.

You are probably getting away with it using LilGun because of low pressures, which is a good thing if you can get the velocity. But that bullet won’t hold up to pressures of normal full power 10mm loads.

Also, something is wrong if you only got 1100 fps with AA9; that’s not normal, especially since you claim more case capacity with your components. AA9 normally will give higher velocities than Longshot and at lower pressure, but gets there right as the load starts to become compressed.

My 200gr cast bullet load, for example, does 1,375 fps from a G40 (threaded barrel) with AA9, and I’ve used several other 200gr bullets at similar speeds.

I've seen molds online for 220 gr. with a similar profile and length at the Xtreme 220gr., but no one seems to be using those.

Perhaps I got a bad batch... of maybe it needs a magnum primer? Only had regular primers at the time (all I could find)

220 SNS FP 1.260", AA#9, Fed 100 Match
    10.0gr. - 1130, 1119, 1122

You are also using a 200 gr. bullet vs. a 220 gr. bullet, so you have more capacity for the AA#9.

Last edited:
    I've seen molds online for 220 gr. with a similar profile and length at the Xtreme 220gr., but no one seems to be using those.

Perhaps I got a bad batch... of maybe it needs a magnum primer? Only had regular primers at the time (all I could find)

220 SNS FP 1.260", AA#9, Fed 100 Match
    10.0gr. - 1130, 1119, 1122

You are also using a 200 gr. bullet vs. a 220 gr. bullet, so you have more capacity for the AA#9.

Don’t need magnum primers, but maybe your OAL is a bit short?
    Or are you concerned about using a compressed load? Your charge weight is a bit light for AA9. Where did you find that load? I’d expect to see more like 11-12 gr for that load.

Regardless, minimal case capacity is the reason I stepped back to 200gr; still plenty of mass to get the job done but more case capacity to work with and a lot more velocity potential.

Thanks for the info @kombayotch and @Yondering

I was buying some other HAZMAT stuff a few weeks back and added an 8lb keg of BE-86 and 4lb bottle of Longshot to the order. Starting with powder coated J-Ames 160gr bullets and after a ladder with BE-86 and Longshot it looks like 9.1gr of BE-86 to get them moving at 1300fps in a stock G20 barrel is where I'm going to fall. I also have a little over a pound of Blue Dot I got from the guy who sold me his XL650 caliber conversion and 10mm dies, so between the BD and Longshot I should be good for powders when I want to get into 180-220gr loads.

Last edited:
    I just got some Longshot to compare to my w572 and n350 loads with Montana Bullets 200gr Hardcast Gas check....

My load is plenty accurate and 1172 out of my G40 with factory barrel... when I chrono underwood 200gr HC I was at 1201 so it's not far off. Technician at Montana Bullets told me you do not need to hot rod their 200gr HC....he said find an accurate load you can shoot accurately.in the 1100-1200 range and they will work perfectly.

I just got some Longshot to compare to my w572 and n350 loads with Montana Bullets 200gr Hardcast Gas check....

My load is plenty accurate and 1172 out of my G40 with factory barrel... when I chrono underwood 200gr HC I was at 1201 so it's not far off. Technician at Montana Bullets told me you do not need to hot rod their 200gr HC....he said find an accurate load you can shoot accurately.in the 1100-1200 range and they will work perfectly.
    I got to 1250 comfortably within published loads with Longshot in a 6” barrel with those Montana 200s (tested up to 1325 with an experienced reloading yet risk tolerant friend’s fingers, using book data for jacketed bullets).

The primers looked pretty flat but no popped primers / slide battering / brass expansion was within a safe range.

It’s kind of shocking how much less powder the lead bullets take vs jacketed. My jacketed plinking load for 200 HAP is above my max power 200 Montana Gold hunting load.

I got to 1250 comfortably within published loads with Longshot in a 6” barrel with those Montana 200s (tested up to 1325 with an experienced reloading yet risk tolerant friend’s fingers, using book data for jacketed bullets).

The primers looked pretty flat but no popped primers / slide battering / brass expansion was within a safe range.

It’s kind of shocking how much less powder the lead bullets take vs jacketed. My jacketed plinking load for 200 HAP is above my max power 200 Montana Gold hunting load.

I found amazing accuracy and SD @ 1175 load so I stayed with it. See if I can duplicate it with a little more velocity eith Longshot....

I experienced the same Damm thing. My lead loads with less powder are faster than my 180gr JHP loads with more powder. Hahaha. Confused me initially but lead is fast.

Just called Barsto...said it's gonna be 4 more weeks till I get my G40 back. Grrr

Just called Barsto...said it's gonna be 4 more weeks till I get my G40 back. Grrr
    You’ll be ripping and running with that fully supported chamber! My Wesson was super tight - needed a factory crimp die to get lead bullets to seat 100%. Upside is my brass looked beautiful, even after nuclear loads.

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpeg
      IMG_1226.jpeg
      362.9 KB · Views: 58
    • FB_IMG_1625528805802.jpeg
      FB_IMG_1625528805802.jpeg
      18.2 KB · Views: 56
    • Haha
    Reactions: RTH1800 and padom
    I found amazing accuracy and SD @ 1175 load so I stayed with it. See if I can duplicate it with a little more velocity eith Longshot....

I experienced the same Damm thing. My lead loads with less powder are faster than my 180gr JHP loads with more powder. Hahaha. Confused me initially but lead is fast.

What you're seeing is mostly about case capacity with the bullet seated. Lead is generally slower and lower pressure if case capacity is equal, because forces required to engrave the rifling and drive the bullet down the barrel are much lower for lead. But, most commercial hard cast bullets take up more case capacity than jacketed, especially those that still have a lube groove, something no longer needed with powder coated bullets. A well designed 10mm cast bullet can maximize case capacity, putting more lead out in front of the case mouth, but most commercially available cast bullets don't do that.

This is also why a well designed 10mm bullet can be pushed faster than a jacketed bullet - maximized case capacity, with low friction forces. I mentioned 1,375 fps with a 200gr hard cast in a G40 - no way could a typical jacketed bullet be pushed to the same speed in that same gun, even with AA9; it'd be blowing case heads off if you tried. But this is with a Mihec bullet mold we designed years ago on the castboolits forum, and then I've removed the lube grooves for powder coating, making it one of the best heavy 10mm designs out there.

Of course it's worth a reminder for all of us, this being a rifle forum, that with pistol rounds small changes in case capacity can have a big effect on pressure. So DON'T use jacketed bullet data for cast bullets, other than as a rough guide, and even then, always make an effort to understand the difference in where the bullet base stops in the case.

What you're seeing is mostly about case capacity with the bullet seated. Lead is generally slower and lower pressure if case capacity is equal, because forces required to engrave the rifling and drive the bullet down the barrel are much lower for lead. But, most commercial hard cast bullets take up more case capacity than jacketed, especially those that still have a lube groove, something no longer needed with powder coated bullets. A well designed 10mm cast bullet can maximize case capacity, putting more lead out in front of the case mouth, but most commercially available cast bullets don't do that.

For an example of this, check out the picture below. These are 9mm bullets (I don't have a comparable 10mm picture handy) but illustrates the point. The commercial cast bullets below are the 147gr and 158gr; notice how much deeper the bullet base sits in the case compared to the other custom bullets of similar or higher weights. Those differences have a direct impact on pressure, to the point where that 158gr bullet generates more pressure than that 178gr with the same powder charge.

That wide range in base depth is also why you can't substitute jacketed bullet data, or data for a different cast bullet style.

J1KnCPyl.jpg

All this 6" barrel velocity data just got me to pull the trigger on a KKM threaded G40 length barrel for my G20, haha.

I also put an NPZ 24lb recoil spring and guide rod in it as even the light loads of BE-86 and Longshot under a 160gr powder coated lead bullet had cases flying 20' to the 4 o'clock with the OEM 17lb recoil spring assembly in place.

Sierra (SIG VCROWN) are on sale at Power Valley right now. 200gr JHP 500ct box for $135...